ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 12th June 2018, 11:12 PM   #81
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not until you are charged or indicted. It's part of discovery in a trial, not part of the investigation.
that's kind of unfair - like not telling you in advance that your house will be searched.
Old 13th June 2018, 02:19 AM   #82
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Cohen is telling friends he expects to be arrested any day now
Old 13th June 2018, 03:36 AM   #83
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Let's hope there are state charges too.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 03:37 AM   #84
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Good to see an American patriot fighting back.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/12/polit...uit/index.html

The Whore doesn't have a great track record in court. Let's hope he wins.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 05:08 AM   #85
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Good to see an American patriot fighting back.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/12/polit...uit/index.html

The Whore doesn't have a great track record in court. Let's hope he wins.
You donít know much about what McCabe did do you? It will certainly make this much more fun that he still has defenders.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 06:06 AM   #86
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
You donít know much about what McCabe did do you? It will certainly make this much more fun that he still has defenders.
There is literally no chance whatsoever that someone who read the IG's report would call McCabe a hero.

Or perhaps I am all wet about this, and McCabe was in fact a hero, for leaking the fact that the FBI was investigating the Clinton Foundation shortly before the election in order to mitigate the blowback from the fact his wife took money from her pal.
Old 13th June 2018, 06:08 AM   #87
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Are defendants legally entitled to information that the prosecution has?

Would innocent defendants care?
Of course, you are joking right?

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not until you are charged or indicted. It's part of discovery in a trial, not part of the investigation.
Concord WAS indicted as I have already explained in detail
Old 13th June 2018, 06:34 AM   #88
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
There is literally no chance whatsoever that someone who read the IG's report would call McCabe a hero.

Or perhaps I am all wet about this, and McCabe was in fact a hero, for leaking the fact that the FBI was investigating the Clinton Foundation shortly before the election in order to mitigate the blowback from the fact his wife took money from her pal.
Oh, is that the latest reason for why revealing the Clinton was under investigation and concealing the fact that Trump was just before the investigation was actually a leftist plot against Trump?
Old 13th June 2018, 06:45 AM   #89
plague311
Great minds think...

Oh, is that the latest reason for why revealing the Clinton was under investigation and concealing the fact that Trump was just before the investigation was actually a leftist plot against Trump?
Right? It doesn't even make sense as a terrible movie plot. Isn't that one of the premises required for a good conspiracy though? The people involved have to be ridiculously inept, yet highly cunning at the same time?

ďThere are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.Ē - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 07:35 AM   #90
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

"latest." Golly, I don't know about that, I do know however that the OIG's said that McCabe released information ďdirected primarily at enhancing McCabeís reputation at the expense of PADAG (Principal Associate Deputy Attorney General).Ē

Curious tho that Clinton fans seem to be under the mistaken apprehension that he is a hero...

Curious, it is almost as if they did not read the report...
Old 13th June 2018, 07:39 AM   #91
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Cohen will soon be without legal representation in the New York case, and will co-operate with prosecutors
Old 13th June 2018, 07:46 AM   #92
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Right? It doesn't even make sense as a terrible movie plot. Isn't that one of the premises required for a good conspiracy though? The people involved have to be ridiculously inept, yet highly cunning at the same time?
But at least in most of these moronic conspiracy theories, the event they are claiming was manipulated by some shadowy cabal actually took place.

Here, we have the claim that there was a conspiracy to keep Trump from the presidency and that the conspirators ginned up bogus intelligence to bring Trump down, and thenÖ sat on their hands and let him win the election.

Itís like saying 9/11 was an inside job if 9/11 never happened.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 07:54 AM   #93
beren
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
But at least in most of these moronic conspiracy theories, the event they are claiming was manipulated by some shadowy cabal actually took place.

Here, we have the claim that there was a conspiracy to keep Trump from the presidency and that the conspirators ginned up bogus intelligence to bring Trump down, and then… sat on their hands and let him win the election.

It’s like saying 9/11 was an inside job if 9/11 never happened.
I have information that 4/11 was an inside job!
beren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 07:57 AM   #94
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by beren View Post
I have information that 4/11 was an inside job!
Makes since...must be a conspiracy. I mean, if you call 411 on the phone they have the phone numbers for everybody!
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 08:01 AM   #95
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I get it!!, the OIG report is just like the 9/11 Commission report and the McCabe truthers are just like 9/11 truthers in that they didn't read it and if they did, they didn't understand it.

Next level self owns going on here!
Old 13th June 2018, 08:54 AM   #96
plague311
Great minds think...

I get it!!, the OIG report is just like the 9/11 Commission report and the McCabe truthers are just like 9/11 truthers in that they didn't read it and if they did, they didn't understand it.

Next level self owns going on here!
I do not think that means what you think it means.

Also, you brought up Clinton. What the hell does Clinton have to do with this thread? Stay on topic, or move along.

ďThere are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.Ē - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 08:55 AM   #97
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

So now Trump's lawyer no longer has his own lawyer, but Trump's lawyer will soon be providing data to the opposition lawyers in order to keep his butt out of jail while serving as his own lawyer.

This sure sounds like a typical Trump scheme.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 09:10 AM   #98
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

I get it!!<snip>

No, you really don't.
Old 13th June 2018, 09:58 AM   #99
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

AP are also reporting they have a source saying Cohen's lawyers are going to stop representing him in the case. This story says that he's looking for new lawyers, and contradicts the report that he's been talking about co-operating with prosecutors.
Old 13th June 2018, 10:01 AM   #100
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Thread by Renato Mariotti on what Cohen flipping might mean
Old 13th June 2018, 10:58 AM   #101
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
No, you really don't.
Actually he does!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 10:59 AM   #102
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
So now Trump's lawyer no longer has his own lawyer, but Trump's lawyer will soon be providing data to the opposition lawyers in order to keep his butt out of jail while serving as his own lawyer.

This sure sounds like a typical Trump scheme.
Only in Venezuela, oh wait!
Old 13th June 2018, 11:04 AM   #103
Crossbow

Only in Venezuela, oh wait!
In other words, you are saying that the stupid, greedy, lying unprincipled Republicans who are in charge of the USA are looking like the stupid, greedy, lying unprincipled politicians who in charge in Venezuela.

I sure do agree with your absolutely brilliant comparison of these two issues.

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 11:13 AM   #104
logger
Banned

In other words, you are saying that the stupid, greedy, lying unprincipled Republicans who are in charge of the USA are looking like the stupid, greedy, lying unprincipled politicians who in charge in Venezuela.

I sure do agree with your absolutely brilliant comparison of these two issues.
Actually no, in other words the government is steam rolling this guy like they do so many times.
Old 13th June 2018, 11:15 AM   #105
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Actually no, in other words the government is steam rolling this guy like they do so many times.
Republicans are the government. They control all three branches.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 11:18 AM   #106
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Those damn liberals!
Old 13th June 2018, 11:19 AM   #107
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Those damn liberals!
I blame President Clinton....
Old 13th June 2018, 11:19 AM   #108
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

You overlook... Deep state. Establishment. RINOs. Never-Trumpers. Hillary. Obama.

I think that about has it about covered, in terms of the inane justifications that Trump cultists use to deny facts.
Old 13th June 2018, 11:27 AM   #109
Crossbow

Well then, ...

I guess that means that the Republican government is treating the ex-lawyer of the current Republican president badly in the same way that the Republican government is treating the Republican president badly.

And since the government of Venezuela is bad,
and since the Republican government is bad,
therefore Republicans are bad governors.

Once again, I do agree with 'logger'.

Old 13th June 2018, 02:11 PM   #110
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Literally everything written above is wrong.

While I appreciate people taking an interest in the subject, one quickly realizes that perhaps this is the first time one has considered the issues?
It's cute when you act superior but then get basic facts wrong like:

Quote:
Mueller and his team do not want to give it to them.
They are asking for a protective order, which is not unusual or "McCarthyist", and is not denying the information from the defendant, as it states in your own link.

Let me know when you read the court's sealed information.
Old 13th June 2018, 02:25 PM   #111
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post

They are asking for a protective order, which is not unusual or "McCarthyist", and is not denying the information from the defendant, as it states in your own link.

Let me know when you read the court's sealed information.
wait, you mean the link that says that they are seeking a protective order in order to prevent the defendants from seeing the discovery evidence?

Quote:
Mueller on Tuesday asked a federal judge in Washington for an order to protect voluminous evidence sought by lawyers for Concord Management and Consulting LLC, one of three companies and 13 Russian nationals charged in a February indictment alleging election meddling via social media. Prosecutors have uncovered evidence of other individuals and entities who are ďcontinuing to engageĒ in similar activities.
Ok
Old 13th June 2018, 02:42 PM   #112
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

wait, you mean the link that says that they are seeking a protective order in order to prevent the defendants from seeing the discovery evidence?

Ok
Funny that what you quote doesn't substantiate your claim. You seem to have a pattern of leaping to conclusions. What Mueller is asking for, from your own link:

Quote:
Prosecutors asked Friedrich to bar any co-defendant of Concord from reviewing evidence until they appear in his courtroom to respond to the charges. They also want to regulate disclosure of ďparticularly sensitive material to foreign nationalsĒ by first limiting it to U.S. lawyers for defendants.
Your Linky.

Here's more coverage:

Quote:
"Public or unauthorized disclosure of this case's discovery would result in the release of information that would assist foreign intelligence services, particularly those of the Russian Federation, and other foreign actors in future operations against the United States," prosecutors wrote in the court request Tuesday.

Protective orders on discovery as cases progress to trial are fairly typical -- especially in high-profile cases like this one, which arose out of Mueller's investigation into Russian influence during the 2016 US election. But Concord's and Mueller's teams haven't agreed on the terms of the protective order.

Prosecutors want to bar Concord's team from sharing the documents with 13 Russian co-defendants and two Russian companies that allegedly conspired to spread pro-Trump propaganda on social media. Prosecutors also seek restrictions on sharing the data with other foreigners, such as lawyers outside the US.

If shared too widely, the prosecutors warn, the data could help foreign intelligence services and tip off people and groups that "continue to engage in interference operations like those charges in the present indictment."

If the data were to be physically sent outside of US law offices, "foreign individuals may try [to] use that avenue as a way to obtain sensitive materials as part of an intelligence collection effort," the prosecutors added.

In all, prosecutors seek a court order barring the sharing of case documents outside of Concord Management, witnesses and their attorneys. They've also suggested the use of a "firewall" federal attorney as an intermediary during the discovery process.
Linky. (Emphasis mine.)
Old 13th June 2018, 02:52 PM   #113
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Funny that what you quote doesn't substantiate your claim. You seem to have a pattern of leaping to conclusions. What Mueller is asking for, from your own link:

Your Linky.

Here's more coverage:

Linky. (Emphasis mine.)
Did you mean to again cite articles that contradict your assertion that they want to prevent the defendants from obtaining access to the material?

protip; attorney eyes only materials are preventing them from giving it to the defendants.

Thanks for the super links, tho.
Old 13th June 2018, 03:09 PM   #114
logger
Banned

A small amount of critical thinking would lead you to come to the conclusion that Trump is embroiled in this investigation, even by some who say they are Republicans, funny that.

I suppose youíre not informed enough to have heard the term ďnever TrumpersĒ?

On top of that we even have judges who have ruled against Trump, oh my.
Old 13th June 2018, 03:13 PM   #115
logger
Banned

Well then, ...

I guess that means that the Republican government is treating the ex-lawyer of the current Republican president badly in the same way that the Republican government is treating the Republican president badly.

And since the government of Venezuela is bad,
and since the Republican government is bad,
therefore Republicans are bad governors.

Once again, I do agree with 'logger'.
No youíve got it wrong again, probably because youíre very uninformed of whatís going on. The case against Cohen is from New York State. Only corrupt liberals up there. You didnít know that did you. I donít see why not, itís been in the news constantly. Would you like to tell us why you didnít know something that was so obvious?
Old 13th June 2018, 03:18 PM   #116
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

No youíve got it wrong again, probably because youíre very uninformed of whatís going on. The case against Cohen is from New York State. Only corrupt liberals up there. You didnít know that did you. I donít see why not, itís been in the news constantly. Would you like to tell us why you didnít know something that was so obvious?
Er, isn't the case against Cohen from the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York? In which case, not New York State, but the US DOJ.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 03:21 PM   #117
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Er, isn't the case against Cohen from the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York? In which case, not New York State, but the US DOJ.
Yes Phiwum, but in liberal New York.
Old 13th June 2018, 03:25 PM   #118
beren
Graduate Poster

What state is Trump from?
beren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 03:28 PM   #119
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Yes Phiwum, but in liberal New York.
Er, once again, you said New York State, which just isn't so.

And, once again, the case involves the DOJ of the Republican administration. How does it matter whether New York State is liberal? The (interim) attorney there was appointed by Sessions.

So, is Sessions and his appointee part of "liberal New York"?

(Honestly, I think you misspoke, thinking that it was the state of New York making this case. A perfectly reasonable response would be to admit your error and move on. But I'll wager you'll double down on the "liberal New York" gambit, for reasons which elude me.)
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 03:30 PM   #120
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Er, once again, you said New York State, which just isn't so.

And, once again, the case involves the DOJ of the Republican administration. How does it matter whether New York State is liberal? The (interim) attorney there was appointed by Sessions.

So, is Sessions and his appointee part of "liberal New York"?

(Honestly, I think you misspoke, thinking that it was the state of New York making this case. A perfectly reasonable response would be to admit your error and move on. But I'll wager you'll double down on the "liberal New York" gambit, for reasons which elude me.)
Why donít you just go back and see what I was wasting time responding to?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics