ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , border issues , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 20th June 2018, 04:58 AM   #241
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
You're confusing his effectiveness with his intelligence.
I didn't say he's highly intelligent, I'd grade him about average at best. But outright stupid? That's far too much of a simplification, and a dangerous one at that.

McHrozni
Old 20th June 2018, 05:27 AM   #242
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
I didn't say he's highly intelligent, I'd grade him about average at best. But outright stupid? That's far too much of a simplification, and a dangerous one at that.
I don't think it is a "simplification", I think it's the most likely explanation for the evidence. I also think you have shown no evidence that it's untrue, but have instead conflated effectiveness and intelligence.
Old 20th June 2018, 05:37 AM   #243
NoahFence
Banned

Corey Lewindowski regarding a Downs Syndrome child being removed from their parent's care:

"Whoop whoop"

Celebrating it.

He can die and all people like him can die for all I care. Miserably, publicly, painfully.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 05:46 AM   #244
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I found it really astounding that some of the kids are being housed in New York. They flew them all the way from Texas to here? This is insane.

Thought: Since the news of all this broke, this has completely pushed the Mueller investigation and Paul Manafort off the front page.
Good. Might allow Mueller to get some decent investigative work done without having his every move questioned by the slavish devotees to Trump's "innocence".
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 05:47 AM   #245
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Corey Lewindowski regarding a Downs Syndrome child being removed from their parent's care:

"Whoop whoop"

Celebrating it.

He can die and all people like him can die for all I care. Miserably, publicly, painfully.
Cruelty is the point. The right has tremendous power in our government currently. Of all the ways they could have acted to change in illegal immigration situation in this country, they have chosen overt cruelty for the sake of cruelty.

They have no interest in using their power for good governance. Just inflicting suffering on their enemies. And acquiring more power so they can inflict greater suffering on more enemies.

Seems like the left is waiting for some grand crisis to galvanize action. I doubt it will happen. Things will just continue to get steadily, incrementally worse.
Old 20th June 2018, 05:52 AM   #246
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

"Whoop whoop"

Celebrating it.

It wasn't "whoop whoop" but "wamp wamp", like a sad trombone: https://twitter.com/passantino/statu...495361/video/1
Old 20th June 2018, 05:53 AM   #247
NoahFence
Banned

It wasn't "whoop whoop" but "wamp wamp", like a sad trombone: https://twitter.com/passantino/statu...495361/video/1
My post stands.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 06:14 AM   #248
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Goodness, I usually agree with you and I hate the current policy, but I think you're wrong here. If one's parents are taken into custody and no one else is available, then the child would be taken into custodial care.

Like I said, the fact that Sessions has decided to take every family into custody is a bad move, but I think that your description of the effect is mistaken.
Fair enough. I retract that part of the post. It's a good principle in most cases, but this situation would be an exception.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 06:22 AM   #249
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Someone should remind this person that defense had been tried before - quite a few of those who made it ended up with their necks being "stretched..."
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 06:35 AM   #250
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

My post stands.
Oh, I wasn't attempting to make a case for it being any better, just correcting a minor factual inaccuracy.
Old 20th June 2018, 06:37 AM   #251
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Goodness, I usually agree with you and I hate the current policy, but I think you're wrong here. If one's parents are taken into custody and no one else is available, then the child would be taken into custodial care.

Like I said, the fact that Sessions has decided to take every family into custody is a bad move, but I think that your description of the effect is mistaken.
You know that Family Detention Centers are a thing, right? Our society already has the jail technology to detain people without literally ripping babes from their mothers' breasts. There's no need at all to build separate centers for children and adults when you could build centers to keep them together, save unnecessary cruelty.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 06:37 AM   #252
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Might be time for some armed groups to get together and plan a rescue for these children unless congress can stop the cruelty.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 06:43 AM   #253
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Might be time for some armed groups to get together and plan a rescue for these children unless congress can stop the cruelty.
It is legal cruelty based on properly enacted laws. Armed groups shouldn't overturn a democratic process.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 06:52 AM   #254
sylvan8798
Master Poster

And it feeds in to the question I asked right at the start of this thread, and which nobody has been able to answer - who actually benefits from this policy? How does it make America safer, or better? It seems that the reason nobody who is defending this policy can answer those questions is because the answers are "nobody" and "it doesn't", respectively.
It makes the Trumpers feel good, arguably a "benefit" for them. I have a feeling the "private prison" business is thriving as well.

If you haven't seen Trump's speech to the independent business group NFIB yesterday, it's worth checking out the first half.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfW1pHC2GuA

I have a sick feeling about this getting worse instead of better.

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 06:54 AM   #255
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Facebook campaign to help reunite these families aims to raise $1,500, but instead raises $7.5m in 4 days
Old 20th June 2018, 06:54 AM   #256
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/s...95502379077637

Quote:
This just in from @davidbegnaud: Border Patrol has reached out to @cbsthismorning and said they are "very uncomfortable" with the use of the word cages. They say it's not inaccurate and added that they may be cages but people are not being treated like animals.

Of course they aren't.

There are actual laws to prevent the inhumane treatment of animals.

Brown refugees, not so much.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 06:58 AM   #257
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It is legal cruelty based on properly enacted laws. Armed groups shouldn't overturn a democratic process.
Out of curiosity, at what point in the trajectory of Nazi Germany would you say that armed groups should have overturned their democratic processes?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 06:59 AM   #258
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I wonder if anyone here is interested in these facts. Maybe the Dems are in support of the smugglers.
Quote:
“Sessions is talking to congressional members and is hoping for a legislative fix. The AG wants an immigration policy that is just, fair and enforceable. They talked about making sure that these really are the parents of these kids,” Perkins said.

He continued, “They are looking at how to use DNA tests in the field to verify they are parents and not traffickers. The reality is if American parents put their kids through what these immigrant parents have done to their kids — they would be charged with child abuse.”

http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/19/to...ons-dna-tests/

Interesting.

We can't even keep up with DNA testing rape kits to help catch known violent criminals. There are backlogs in some jurisdictions going back years if not decades.

Where is the money and the will to DNA catalog thousands of refugee families that the government has already shown it cares nothing for going to come from?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:00 AM   #259
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Out of curiosity, at what point in the trajectory of Nazi Germany would you say that armed groups should have overturned their democratic processes?
Matt Bors has a good one on this topic:

[Defender of Democracy]
Old 20th June 2018, 07:01 AM   #260
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

On the surface, it seems reasonable. I'm not sure whether the fourteen day provision is a good one. It might require more time to evaluate a case fairly.

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Why do you think they will bother to do anything fairly? Is there something about their behavior so far relating to this new policy which suggests to you that they care about "fairly".
Old 20th June 2018, 07:08 AM   #261
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Sure, but this is still the Trump administration's fault for electing to use cruel laws. Let's never ever forget that.

People keep saying stuff like this.

It isn't a matter of cruel laws. It is a matter of consciously choosing to apply laws in the cruelest way possible.

There is nothing about this new policy of enforcement which is mandated by existing laws. It is only the way the Trump administration has chosen to exercise their enforcement of those laws.

Other administrations have managed to enforce the same laws equally as well without conscious, premeditated cruelty. We haven't needed to forcefully separate thousands of children from their families before. There is no need to now.

It is simply what the Trump administration wants to do.
Old 20th June 2018, 07:08 AM   #262
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

You know that Family Detention Centers are a thing, right? Our society already has the jail technology to detain people without literally ripping babes from their mothers' breasts. There's no need at all to build separate centers for children and adults when you could build centers to keep them together, save unnecessary cruelty.
Family Detention Centers are also cheaper than deliberately committing child abuse.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncn...mpression=true
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:09 AM   #263
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I have no opinion on that.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:12 AM   #264
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Which is wrong of course. Or in Sessions case, probably an intentional lie.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
Old 20th June 2018, 07:12 AM   #265
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
People keep saying stuff like this.

It isn't a matter of cruel laws. It is a matter of consciously choosing to apply laws in the cruelest way possible.

There is nothing about this new policy of enforcement which is mandated by existing laws. It is only the way the Trump administration has chosen to exercise their enforcement of those laws.

Other administrations have managed to enforce the same laws equally as well without conscious, premeditated cruelty. We haven't needed to forcefully separate thousands of children from their families before. There is no need to now.

It is simply what the Trump administration wants to do.
Fair enough. I was more interested in keeping the blame where it belongs.

This is on the Trump administration and those supporting it.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:13 AM   #266
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Old 20th June 2018, 07:13 AM   #267
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/...25231004004352

Quote:
29 years and nine months ago I registered to vote and became a member of The Republican Party which was founded in 1854 to oppose slavery and stand for the dignity of human life. Today I renounce my membership in the Republican Party. It is fully the party of Trump.
Schmidt was a campaign strategist for George W. Bush, Arnold Schwarzenneger, and senior campaign strategist for John McCain.
Old 20th June 2018, 07:15 AM   #268
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/...25231004004352

Schmidt was a campaign strategist for George W. Bush, Arnold Schwarzenneger, and senior campaign strategist for John McCain.
It doesn't help that they are regarded as bad republicans.
Old 20th June 2018, 07:19 AM   #269
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It doesn't help that they are regarded as bad republicans.
Sure are a lot of those lately.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:23 AM   #270
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I'd be in favor of that.

Sessions has been explicit that removal of children is a deterrent. That's so despicable that even Trump, morally impaired as he is, pretends that this is due to the Democrats.

The administration policy is intentionally cruel. No doubt.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:25 AM   #271
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/st...27001302757376

Quote:
Former Border Patrol agent: “It’s very rare that anybody ever crosses the border with somebody else’s child. Kids are usually with an aunt or relative or something like that. [The administration] is misleading people and flat-out lying.”
Article linked in the tweet.
Old 20th June 2018, 07:26 AM   #272
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Why do you think they will bother to do anything fairly? Is there something about their behavior so far relating to this new policy which suggests to you that they care about "fairly".
I was evaluating the bill on its own terms, without considering its author.

Usually, that is the right thing to do.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:29 AM   #273
Cain
Straussian

"Whoop whoop"

Celebrating it.

I'm not trying to make excuses, and I'm not a doctor, but I'd say he suffers from being a ******* asshat.
Old 20th June 2018, 07:37 AM   #274
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:37 AM   #275
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Sure are a lot of those lately.
Sadly, nowhere near enough in positions of influence and/or power and a distinct lack of them at the "pointy end" of the House and Senate.

Even those who do make the occasional whimper of opposition soon fall back into like when an actual vote is called for or the Democratic Party is looking for someone to sign up to a bill.

IMO they are either deplorable (if they fully support the Trump Administration in it's - so far successful - attempts to undermine US democracy) and/or abject cowards (if they have reservations but refuse to act because they fear being primaried).
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:40 AM   #276
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The administration policy is intentionally cruel. No doubt.
The trouble is that enough of the population are positively in favour of it (the 40% who continue to support the Trump Administration) that if anything it is going to enhance his approval ratings.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:43 AM   #277
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Which is wrong of course. Or in Sessions case, probably an intentional lie.

Looking forward to the celebrations of turning away the jews on the St Louis next year. That should be an easy sell in this administration.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:45 AM   #278
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Peter Fonda urged that Barron Trump be taken from his family and put in a cage with pedophiles. He also urged people to surround the schools of ICE employees' children.

A poster here urged that armed groups storm the centers where the children are being held.

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 07:48 AM   #279
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Interesting.

We can't even keep up with DNA testing rape kits to help catch known violent criminals. There are backlogs in some jurisdictions going back years if not decades.

Where is the money and the will to DNA catalog thousands of refugee families that the government has already shown it cares nothing for going to come from?
As long as they get A kid back does it really matter which one - you can't tell them apart!
Old 20th June 2018, 07:48 AM   #280
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Peter Fonda urged that Barron Trump be taken from his family and put in a cage with pedophiles. He also urged people to surround the schools of ICE employees' children.

A poster here urged that armed groups storm the centers where the children are being held.
Ahh, the emotional crazy left.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics