ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 27th June 2018, 01:34 AM   #1
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The Trump Presidency VIII

Republican tax law starting to negatively impact Churches

Mod InfoContinuation thread, as ever anything from the previous thread can be reposted/quoted etc.
Posted By:Darat

Last edited by Darat; 27th June 2018 at 01:57 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 01:37 AM   #2
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Congress' non-partisan budget office predicts the US heading for record-breaking debt
Old 27th June 2018, 01:39 AM   #3
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
#FakeNews and in any case it's the Dems fault......
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 01:39 AM   #4
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I wish I shared your optimism. I firmly believe that unless there are exceptional circumstances like an economic crash, Donald Trump being arrested or an amazing and inspirational Democratic Party candidate being found that the President has a better than even chance of being re-elected - if he chooses to stand.

I say this because although he "only" has 40% support, that 40% are highly motivated to go out and vote for him and his racist policies.
The way I see it...
- Trump's margin of victory the last time was razor-thin. In the next election he has little room to lose votes and still win
- He's not likely to win any new supporters. Anyone racist enough to support Trump NOW probably was eager to vote for him last time
- Although his support is firm (and he has a strong grip on the republican party), there are probably going to be a few people who voted for him who have had second thoughts. (Coal miners who find that no, he's not bringing jobs back, blue collar workers who now worry about their health care, etc.) Those people will be in the minority, but with such a narrow victory it may be enough
- Clinton probably would have been a good president, but she had been attacked constantly by the republicans and Fox News for decades. I doubt that anyone the democrats can nominate will have anywhere near the problems that she did. Plus, people who had been complacent in the election (especially former Obama voters) may realize "Maybe I should vote"

Quote:
They're also the 40% least likely to have their vote lost by gerrymandering and/or voter suppression.
Gerrymandering and voter suppression are big problems. But, they were problems in the last election too, so the problem probably won't get that much worse in the next election or 2.

Quote:
I therefore think that the GOP will likely have the Presidency until (at least) 2024 and will retain control of both House and Senate for most, if not all, of that period.
I figure the democrats will take the house next election. Probably not the senate though, because of what senate seats are up for grabs. (More democratic seats than republican seats.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 03:15 AM   #5
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Of course we are, that was the point of voting republican.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 03:40 AM   #6
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Wow! Big Trump Hater Congressman Joe Crowley, who many expected was going to take Nancy Pelosi’s place, just LOST his primary election. In other words, he’s out! That is a big one that nobody saw happening. Perhaps he should have been nicer, and more respectful, to his President!"

"The Democrats are in Turmoil! Open Borders and unchecked Crime a certain way to lose elections. Republicans are for Strong Borders, NO Crime! A BIG NIGHT!"

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 27th June 2018 at 03:41 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 03:40 AM   #7
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Quote:
“What we’re talking about is an income tax on the church for providing parking to its employees — that’s what we’re talking about,” said Mike Batts, chairman of the board of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability, which is circulating the petition denouncing the tax. “It's absurd."

<snip by me>

Treasury is now working on regulations spelling out the details of how the tax will work, though the groups are supposed to have already been paying the tax. It took effect Jan. 1 and nonprofits are supposed to pay it quarterly.

A host of groups, including the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Goodwill Industries, the YMCA and the National Council of Nonprofits are demanding the tax at least be delayed, saying it is unfair to ask them to be paying a levy they don’t understand.
...Wow.

Just wow.

Yet another example of how well the Republicans are actually taking care of their "base" and so very competently, too!
Old 27th June 2018, 03:58 AM   #8
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
...Wow.

Just wow.

Yet another example of how well the Republicans are actually taking care of their "base" and so very competently, too!
It doesn't matter, it will be spun to be the Democratic Party's fault and the GOP faithful will swallow it hook, line and sinker.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 04:17 AM   #9
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"Wow! Big Trump Hater Congressman Joe Crowley, who many expected was going to take Nancy Pelosi’s place, just LOST his primary election. In other words, he’s out! That is a big one that nobody saw happening. Perhaps he should have been nicer, and more respectful, to his President!"
Yes, I'm sure Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez won because Joe Crowley said mean things about Trump, rather than because she ran on the platform that for someone to represent the working class people of New York they ought to live there, not be corrupt, and understand and advocate for working class people.
Old 27th June 2018, 04:26 AM   #10
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

No, she talks really nice about Trump, that's why she won............
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 04:33 AM   #11
Armitage72
Master Poster

Everything, everywhere, is about him. It's his story and the rest of the world is composed of his supporting characters.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 04:41 AM   #12
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Quote:
The Don: I wish I shared your optimism. I firmly believe that unless there are exceptional circumstances like an economic crash, Donald Trump being arrested or an amazing and inspirational Democratic Party candidate being found that the President has a better than even chance of being re-elected - if he chooses to stand.

I say this because although he "only" has 40% support, that 40% are highly motivated to go out and vote for him and his racist policies. They're also the 40% least likely to have their vote lost by gerrymandering and/or voter suppression. OTOH a significant proportion of the 45%+ who may be thinking of voting for the other candidate need to be inspired to get out and vote and/or risk losing their vote due to the aforementioned gerrymandering and/or voter suppression.

I therefore think that the GOP will likely have the Presidency until (at least) 2024 and will retain control of both House and Senate for most, if not all, of that period. Those elder judges aren't going to last for ever and so a 6:3 or 7:2 GOP-leaning SCOTUS is very much on the cards. They will make the laws for a generation so look for states to get to choose on matters such as:

Legality of abortion
Teaching evolution
Gay rights
"Separate but equal" treatment of the races
The role of religion in lawmaking

This will allow the majority of the US landmass (though a minority of the population) to slip back to the 1950's where they're clearly more comfortable. Indeed, it may be like an antebellum US where progress is made in the integrated, forward looking states and the backward looking segregationist states talk about things like charm and matters whilst sucking hard on the teat of the government handout machine.
Yes. Damn it, you are right, but it is much worse: Trump-analogs and demagogues will sweep into power across Europe shortly. Russia and China are dictatorships, both increasingly aggressive. The loss in prestige of democracy and the rule of law is now at a disastrous level.

World war is guaranteed. Folks may have thought I was a bit wild with all those "trouser drop" comments after the Brexit vote and Trump's election. But here we are, with the second hand now ticking on the doomsday clock.

Humanity's final motto: All for coin, naught for integrity.
Old 27th June 2018, 05:05 AM   #13
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Yes. Damn it, you are right, but it is much worse: Trump-analogs and demagogues will sweep into power across Europe shortly. Russia and China are dictatorships, both increasingly aggressive. The loss in prestige of democracy and the rule of law is now at a disastrous level.
I see it largely confined to the US. There may be some countries with a bit of "form" for that kind of thing who will elect a similar government but in the main IMO Europe will stick with boring old Social Democracy in one form or another.

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
World war is guaranteed. Folks may have thought I was a bit wild with all those "trouser drop" comments after the Brexit vote and Trump's election. But here we are, with the second hand now ticking on the doomsday clock.

Humanity's final motto: All for coin, naught for integrity.
I disagree - but maybe I'm being over-optimistic

Unless the "war" in question is waged economically rather than militarily in which case, President Trump has already had his Fort Sumpter moment IMO.
Old 27th June 2018, 05:12 AM   #14
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Yes, I'm sure Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez won because Joe Crowley said mean things about Trump, rather than because she ran on the platform that for someone to represent the working class people of New York they ought to live there, not be corrupt, and understand and advocate for working class people.
Here's Ocasio-Cortez's platform:

I guess the bit about supporting Trump was on page 2.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 05:15 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You can hardly slide a piece of paper between what she is fighting for and Trump is fighting for!
Old 27th June 2018, 05:20 AM   #16
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Back in November 2017 she was working as a bartender.

In November 2018 she will probably be the youngest woman ever elected to Congress.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 05:25 AM   #17
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dgqa2ROWkAA3Z6e.jpg:large

In November 2018 she will probably be the youngest woman ever elected to Congress.
So, not qualified for the job.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 05:26 AM   #18
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post

Maybe the Democratic Party is getting its act together at the grass roots. A young, exciting candidate with (for the US) radical, yet not dangerous, policy proposals. Maybe this will signal that younger people will be taking on the mantle of leadership and the existing leaders will gradually be moved to roles where their experience can be drawn upon but their hands are not on the reins.
Old 27th June 2018, 06:26 AM   #19
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Maybe the Democratic Party is getting its act together at the grass roots. A young, exciting candidate with (for the US) radical, yet not dangerous, policy proposals. Maybe this will signal that younger people will be taking on the mantle of leadership and the existing leaders will gradually be moved to roles where their experience can be drawn upon but their hands are not on the reins.
Those normal (to Europeans) proposals will be spun by the Murdochians as the gateway to anarchy. Seriously,... just picture Tucker Carlson reading her campaign pitch with that smarmy little sneer on his lips.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 06:34 AM   #20
Wayward son
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Which qualification for US Congress does she lack?
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 06:34 AM   #21
Mumbles
Philosopher

Disagreed. House of Reps is a pretty good starting point for someone entering office - there are plenty of mentors that can help you out, of various stripes including quite a couple of living legends like John Lewis.

(and if you love Nazism, there's Steve King. Everyone can find someone).

It's also not a singular person job, like a governor or possibly a judge, where you'd want someone with applicable experience (executive, legislative, legal, etc) that can step in as best as a person could.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 06:35 AM   #22
NoahFence
Banned

She's pretty hot.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 06:43 AM   #23
Cain
Straussian

How does Alexandria Hyphenated-LastName intend to pay for all of these programs if we have such high deficits? It's finally time abolish Medicare and Social Security and start selling the national parks and the interstate highway system. Democrats got us into this mess with their deficits (thanks, Obama) and Trump's going to save us (his deficits were just a ploy, a beautiful ploy, to cut government spending).
Old 27th June 2018, 06:56 AM   #24
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
How does Alexandria Hyphenated-LastName intend to pay for all of these programs if we have such high deficits? It's finally time abolish Medicare and Social Security and start selling the national parks and the interstate highway system. Democrats got us into this mess with their deficits (thanks, Obama) and Trump's going to save us (his deficits were just a ploy, a beautiful ploy, to cut government spending).
The strategy hasn't changed for decades.
Old 27th June 2018, 07:05 AM   #25
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Disagreed. House of Reps is a pretty good starting point for someone entering office - there are plenty of mentors that can help you out, of various stripes including quite a couple of living legends like John Lewis.

(and if you love Nazism, there's Steve King. Everyone can find someone).

It's also not a singular person job, like a governor or possibly a judge, where you'd want someone with applicable experience (executive, legislative, legal, etc) that can step in as best as a person could.
City legislator seems like an appropriate place to start.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 07:50 AM   #26
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
So that's what she has in common with Trump.
Old 27th June 2018, 07:56 AM   #27
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Why do you need to worry? Trump has the issue well in hand...

First of all, he said that if it gets into trouble, the U.S. could "renegotiate" the debt... tell people "You're not getting as much as we promised", just like all the times he declared bankruptcy on his casinos.

(Hmmm.... taking what should be a rock-solid security like a government bond or T-bill and saying you won't get the full value... what could go wrong?)

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b096e9f0917fac

Then, he said the U.S. doesn't have to worry about debt because it can just print all the money it needs. (Just like in the glory days of the Weimar republic.)

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/09/polit...egy/index.html

See? No worries... Trump really knows what he's doing.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 08:10 AM   #28
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

How about President? Seems you don't need any experience or qualifications for that job.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 08:11 AM   #29
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
It's a very clever campaign, probably modeled after the best right winger style, no need to acknowledge the cost.

Just like the GOP tax cuts for billionaires, no need to acknowledge the deficit.
Old 27th June 2018, 08:15 AM   #30
Wayward son
Critical Thinker

Again, why?

Her path seems little different from Paul Ryan's (he was a year younger). She is smarter and more accomplished at the same age, but she is a woman, so she should know her place.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 08:29 AM   #31
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
Again, why?

Her path seems little different from Paul Ryan's (he was a year younger). She is smarter and more accomplished at the same age, but she is a woman, so she should know her place.
I don't think Paul Ryan was qualified, either.
Old 27th June 2018, 08:46 AM   #32
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"HOUSE REPUBLICANS SHOULD PASS THE STRONG BUT FAIR IMMIGRATION BILL, KNOWN AS GOODLATTE II, IN THEIR AFTERNOON VOTE TODAY, EVEN THOUGH THE DEMS WON’T LET IT PASS IN THE SENATE. PASSAGE WILL SHOW THAT WE WANT STRONG BORDERS & SECURITY WHILE THE DEMS WANT OPEN BORDERS = CRIME. WIN!"
Old 27th June 2018, 08:47 AM   #33
Bob001
Philosopher

She's better qualified to sit in Congress than Trump is to sit in the White House.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/n...io-cortez.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 08:48 AM   #34
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump also tweets

"Supreme Court rules in favor of non-union workers who are now, as an example, able to support a candidate of his or her choice without having those who control the Union deciding for them. Big loss for the coffers of the Democrats!"

"Harley-Davidson should stay 100% in America, with the people that got you your success. I’ve done so much for you, and then this. Other companies are coming back where they belong! We won’t forget, and neither will your customers or your now very HAPPY competitors!"

"Congratulations to Maxine Waters, whose crazy rants have made her, together with Nancy Pelosi, the unhinged FACE of the Democrat Party. Together, they will Make America Weak Again! But have no fear, America is now stronger than ever before, and I’m not going anywhere!"

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 27th June 2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 27th June 2018, 08:48 AM   #35
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
She's better qualified to sit in Congress than Trump is to sit in the White House.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/n...io-cortez.html
I don't think that was in dispute. I also don't see that as the standard.
Old 27th June 2018, 08:51 AM   #36
Bob001
Philosopher

I don't think that was in dispute. I also don't see that as the standard.
Trump has eradicated the standard.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 08:52 AM   #37
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Trump has eradicated the standard.
No one can eradicate a standard for another person assessing the situation.
Old 27th June 2018, 09:14 AM   #38
gregthehammer
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump also tweets

"Supreme Court rules in favor of non-union workers who are now, as an example, able to support a candidate of his or her choice without having those who control the Union deciding for them. Big loss for the coffers of the Democrats!"

"Harley-Davidson should stay 100% in America, with the people that got you your success. I’ve done so much for you, and then this. Other companies are coming back where they belong! We won’t forget, and neither will your customers or your now very HAPPY competitors!"

"Congratulations to Maxine Waters, whose crazy rants have made her, together with Nancy Pelosi, the unhinged FACE of the Democrat Party. Together, they will Make America Weak Again! But have no fear, America is now stronger than ever before, and I’m not going anywhere!"
I'm assuming he's talking about the baby boomers, which are dying off/ not buying bikes in the same numbers as in the past. Yeah. Winning strategy right there.

also, what are these companies "coming back where they belong" he keeps going on about?

Last edited by gregthehammer; 27th June 2018 at 09:15 AM.
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 09:16 AM   #39
Mumbles
Philosopher

It doesn't matter, it will be spun to be the Democratic Party's fault and the GOP faithful will swallow it hook, line and sinker.
For a lot of people, it's not even about that. He hates "the homos and the wetbacks, and will put the darkies in their place". They'll gladly take the suffering in exchange for that.

You'll note that when I say "Maybe him harming them will change their minds", I'm fully aware of the fact that for many, it won't. For some, it will. That's good enough considering how many voters put him in to begin with.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 09:36 AM   #40
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Bolton was fawning all over Putin this morning, very similar to the way they all fawn over Trump in his presence.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics