ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 5th July 2018, 08:20 AM   #361
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 20,228
This made me chuckle:



Tony Schwartz wrote The Art Of The Deal
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 08:38 AM   #362
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,482
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
his creditors will get that.
Pensions tend to be protected from creditors.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 09:00 AM   #363
Armitage72
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,015
The Mayor of London has approved a request to fly a 6m tall "Trump Baby" balloon near the UK Parliament during Trump's visit.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 09:13 AM   #364
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 17,425
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The Mayor of London has approved a request to fly a 6m tall "Trump Baby" balloon near the UK Parliament during Trump's visit.
Take your commie mooslim meters and stick them up your MAGA!

Seriously, bears repeating just because it's so damn funny!
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 09:13 AM   #365
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,080
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The Mayor of London has approved a request to fly a 6m tall "Trump Baby" balloon near the UK Parliament during Trump's visit.
Awesome.
Fudbucker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 10:24 AM   #366
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,650
Trump Tweets

"Congress must pass smart, fast and reasonable Immigration Laws now. Law Enforcement at the Border is doing a great job, but the laws they are forced to work with are insane. When people, with or without children, enter our Country, they must be told to leave without our........"

".....Country being forced to endure a long and costly trial. Tell the people “OUT,” and they must leave, just as they would if they were standing on your front lawn. Hiring thousands of “judges” does not work and is not acceptable - only Country in the World that does this!"

"Congress - FIX OUR INSANE IMMIGRATION LAWS NOW!"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 10:48 AM   #367
slyjoe
Graduate Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins
Posts: 1,549
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"Congress must pass smart, fast and reasonable Immigration Laws now. Law Enforcement at the Border is doing a great job, but the laws they are forced to work with are insane. When people, with or without children, enter our Country, they must be told to leave without our........"

".....Country being forced to endure a long and costly trial. Tell the people “OUT,” and they must leave, just as they would if they were standing on your front lawn. Hiring thousands of “judges” does not work and is not acceptable - only Country in the World that does this!"

"Congress - FIX OUR INSANE IMMIGRATION LAWS NOW!"
Such a great negotiator.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 11:20 AM   #368
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 10,405
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
When people, with or without children, enter our Country, they must be told to leave
So he wants to stop immigration altogether then? There is no longer any such thing as a legal immigrant, only illegal ones?

And no more tourists too?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 5th July 2018 at 11:26 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 11:25 AM   #369
carlosy
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Such a great negotiator.

Trump's next book:

The Art of the Whining
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 12:32 PM   #370
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,644
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
This made me chuckle:

https://i.imgur.com/NXIEgJ3.jpg

Tony Schwartz wrote The Art Of The Deal
Why did he tag James Woods? I know he's a crazy ******* MAGAdook but that seems like a weird reason. Has his career devolved to the point of just engaging in twitter fights?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 12:42 PM   #371
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,010
Word is that Scott Pruitt resigned today:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/08/trum...hoo&yptr=yahoo
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 12:47 PM   #372
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 43,504
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Word is that Scott Pruitt resigned today:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/08/trum...hoo&yptr=yahoo
So any word on when the indictments will be handed down?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 01:24 PM   #373
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,043
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Word is that Scott Pruitt resigned today:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/08/trum...hoo&yptr=yahoo
Now the big question... why the resignation and why now, since Pruitt has been plagued by scandals pretty much since the beginning and it hasn't stopped Trump from supporting him.

Did Trump need a distraction from the Mueller investigation/immigration problems and decided to toss Pruitt to the wolves as a result?

Was it just getting too much for Pruitt?

Or, could he have resigned because Trump is considering Pruitt as the next Supreme court judge?
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 01:26 PM   #374
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,644
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Now the big question... why the resignation and why now, since Pruitt has been plagued by scandals pretty much since the beginning and it hasn't stopped Trump from supporting him.

Did Trump need a distraction from the Mueller investigation/immigration problems and decided to toss Pruitt to the wolves as a result?

Was it just getting too much for Pruitt?

Or, could he have resigned because Trump is considering Pruitt as the next Supreme court judge?
Accidently signed an abolish ICE petition thinking it meant the polar ice caps?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 01:31 PM   #375
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,010
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
....
Or, could he have resigned because Trump is considering Pruitt as the next Supreme court judge?
Not much chance of that. The most recent revelation was that Pruitt wanted Trump to fire Sessions and make him Attorney General. That might have crossed a line.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 01:34 PM   #376
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,482
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Now the big question... why the resignation and why now, since Pruitt has been plagued by scandals pretty much since the beginning and it hasn't stopped Trump from supporting him.

Did Trump need a distraction from the Mueller investigation/immigration problems and decided to toss Pruitt to the wolves as a result?

Was it just getting too much for Pruitt?

Or, could he have resigned because Trump is considering Pruitt as the next Supreme court judge?
It was the woman and her kid that made him resign.

And no way would Pruitt be confirmed.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 01:35 PM   #377
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,482
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Not much chance of that. The most recent revelation was that Pruitt wanted Trump to fire Sessions and make him Attorney General. That might have crossed a line.
I never believed that story. And if he said it, it wasn't serious.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 01:42 PM   #378
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,010
Pruitt paints himself as a victim.
https://www.motherjones.com/environm...nation-letter/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 01:43 PM   #379
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,010
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I never believed that story. And if he said it, it wasn't serious.
Why wouldn't you believe it? You think reporters are lying? Or their sources? And why wouldn't he mean it? It would certainly be consistent with his other self-indulgent attitudes.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 01:44 PM   #380
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,644
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Pruitt paints himself as a victim.
https://www.motherjones.com/environm...nation-letter/
That last paragraph, yowza!
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 01:48 PM   #381
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,650
trump Tweeted

"I have accepted the resignation of Scott Pruitt as the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency. Within the Agency Scott has done an outstanding job, and I will always be thankful to him for this. The Senate confirmed Deputy at EPA, Andrew Wheeler, will..."

"...on Monday assume duties as the acting Administrator of the EPA. I have no doubt that Andy will continue on with our great and lasting EPA agenda. We have made tremendous progress and the future of the EPA is very bright!"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 01:52 PM   #382
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,043
Quote:
Quote:
Or, could he have resigned because Trump is considering Pruitt as the next Supreme court judge?
It was the woman and her kid that made him resign.
And no way would Pruitt be confirmed.
Quote:
Not much chance of that.
Keep in mind that I was kidding about the whole "Pruitt to the Supreme court" thing.

Although I don't see why the republicans wouldn't confirm him. After all, he appears to be a staunch anti-abortionist, and republican congress critters have shown little or no backbone in standing up to even the stupidest things he does.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 01:56 PM   #383
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 82,108
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Pruitt paints himself as a victim.
https://www.motherjones.com/environm...nation-letter/
Seems a tad ... snowflakey?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 02:54 PM   #384
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,482
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Why wouldn't you believe it? You think reporters are lying? Or their sources? And why wouldn't he mean it? It would certainly be consistent with his other self-indulgent attitudes.
I don't doubt that Pruitt is self indulgent. I don't believe that reporters were lying. I do question the source however.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 02:59 PM   #385
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,482
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Although I don't see why the republicans wouldn't confirm him. After all, he appears to be a staunch anti-abortionist, and republican congress critters have shown little or no backbone in standing up to even the stupidest things he does.
While I hardly would put anything beyond the Republican Congress, this would have to get past the Senate Judiciary. There are just far too many scandals surrounding Pruitt.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 05:04 PM   #386
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 68,144
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
That last paragraph, yowza!
Back to Gilead he goes.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 05:38 PM   #387
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,330
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'd love to see that.

Have you got your fizzy drinks sorted?
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 05:41 PM   #388
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 30,724
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I originally read that as `6 million "Trump Baby" balloons to fly over...`
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 05:43 PM   #389
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 21,606
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Back to Gilead he goes.
"We're marching, marching to Shibboleth,
With the Eagle and the Sword!
We're praising Zion 'til her death,
Until we meet our last reward!"
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 05:55 PM   #390
Random
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,944
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Now the big question... why the resignation and why now, since Pruitt has been plagued by scandals pretty much since the beginning and it hasn't stopped Trump from supporting him.

Did Trump need a distraction from the Mueller investigation/immigration problems and decided to toss Pruitt to the wolves as a result?

Was it just getting too much for Pruitt?

Or, could he have resigned because Trump is considering Pruitt as the next Supreme court judge?
I think it is just a question of the upcoming midterms being a referendum on the Trump administration, and Pruitt is just so ridiculously corrupt by any standards you would care to name that having him around is vastly more trouble than it is worth...
__________________
"...Am I actually watching Big Bird argue with the Egyptian God of the Dead? Is PBS sending some kind of weird religious message here?"
Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 08:08 PM   #391
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 22,124
Looks like Trump is discharging immigrant service members, reneging on a core policy of this country.

Will this do it? Will the MAGA morons justify it, or actually come out against it?



yea, nah.
Anyway I'm on my phone so I can't link, but a Google search turns up plenty of sources.
__________________
DILLIGAF
NoahFence is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 09:13 PM   #392
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,130
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Looks like Trump is discharging immigrant service members, reneging on a core policy of this country.

Will this do it? Will the MAGA morons justify it, or actually come out against it?



yea, nah.
Anyway I'm on my phone so I can't link, but a Google search turns up plenty of sources.
Here's a couple links.

Looks like most of what's around is still largely mirrors, though.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 10:38 PM   #393
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,080
I have broken more Elton John records, he seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-go...and-the-brain/

The President of the U.S., everyone.
Fudbucker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 10:49 PM   #394
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher
 
Cl1mh4224rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,741
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I have broken more Elton John records, he seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-go...and-the-brain/

The President of the U.S., everyone.

Jesus *********** Christ...
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 11:29 PM   #395
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 68,144
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I have broken more Elton John records, he seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-go...and-the-brain/

The President of the U.S., everyone.
This also belongs in the 'Trump is mentally ill' thread. This is delusional rambling. Stress is getting to him. Do you suppose his lawyers are giving him bad news we haven't yet heard about?
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 11:38 PM   #396
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 25,073
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Looks like Trump is discharging immigrant service members, reneging on a core policy of this country.

Will this do it? Will the MAGA morons justify it, or actually come out against it?
Why would they come out against it ? The official position will be that the recruits were unable to complete security screening successfully and so they were discharged from the service. From a MAGA perspective this makes them fifth columnists being trained by the greatest military the world has ever seen and who would go on to get citizenship of the greatest country.

They would have been a major threat to the US, a force of highly trained Jihadists integrated into US society, ready to put their training into use in order to impose Sharia law and set up the Caliphate. Foiling their plan in this way was the only right thing to do. The fact that their immediate response is to attack the US by suing the US military instead of just taking the decision calmly as they should, shows their true intent.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 11:49 PM   #397
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 25,073
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This also belongs in the 'Trump is mentally ill' thread. This is delusional rambling. Stress is getting to him. Do you suppose his lawyers are giving him bad news we haven't yet heard about?
As inarticulate as Donald Trump is, and as badly as that transcript comes across (weirdly watching the video comes across slightly better IMO), President Trump's message does seem reasonably clear:
  • At some point in time he has been told by someone that his attendance figures beat a previous record (or records) somewhere held by Elton John
  • President Trump is proud of this and proud of the fact that while Elton John is a musician with a band and a fancy stage show to attract an audience, all President Trump has is himself and his amazing oratory
  • He goes on to clarify that one of the reasons why he can achieve records is that, unlike sports where a significant proprtion of the venue is tied up as the playing area, he just needs space for himself

For sure it could have been said better but he was likely operating off the cuff without a teleprompter and he didn't want to use too many "elite" words.

Daddy Don has recently been in hospital and reacted badly to the trauma and anaesthetic and as a result his dementia got really bad. At one point on an objective assessment he scored 1/10 for how "with it" he was. When I saw him 36 hours ago he was assessed at 8/10 but was an order or two less coherent and more rambling than President Trump.

IOW, if the President does have issues, they are likely not bad enough to be picked up by an objective test or if they are, they are very minor indeed.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 11:57 PM   #398
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 10,405
The contrast with the articulacy of Barack Obama really is striking, though.

I've seen it suggested that Trump was coked up. Sniff sniff.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 12:00 AM   #399
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 68,144
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
As inarticulate as Donald Trump is, and as badly as that transcript comes across (weirdly watching the video comes across slightly better IMO), President Trump's message does seem reasonably clear:
  • At some point in time he has been told by someone that his attendance figures beat a previous record (or records) somewhere held by Elton John
  • President Trump is proud of this and proud of the fact that while Elton John is a musician with a band and a fancy stage show to attract an audience, all President Trump has is himself and his amazing oratory
  • He goes on to clarify that one of the reasons why he can achieve records is that, unlike sports where a significant proprtion of the venue is tied up as the playing area, he just needs space for himself

For sure it could have been said better but he was likely operating off the cuff without a teleprompter and he didn't want to use too many "elite" words.

Daddy Don has recently been in hospital and reacted badly to the trauma and anaesthetic and as a result his dementia got really bad. At one point on an objective assessment he scored 1/10 for how "with it" he was. When I saw him 36 hours ago he was assessed at 8/10 but was an order or two less coherent and more rambling than President Trump.

IOW, if the President does have issues, they are likely not bad enough to be picked up by an objective test or if they are, they are very minor indeed.
What do you know about an objective test for disorganized thought?

While your anecdote about Daddy Don is interesting, it's hardly the basis to recognize any and all forms a human presents with symptoms of a mental illness.

I didn't watch the video but if that is an accurate transcript of his words, it is typical disorganized thought. The fact you think it makes sense on some level doesn't change the fact it regresses into disorganized thought.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 12:24 AM   #400
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 25,073
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
What do you know about an objective test for disorganized thought?
Tell me more given that you're such an expert

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
While your anecdote about Daddy Don is interesting, it's hardly the basis to recognize any and all forms a human presents with symptoms of a mental illness.
You're absolutely right. It was however my most recent exposure to someone who had a medical diagnosis for mild dementia and it highlighted to me how much more disorganised and rambling the speech patterns of someone who is sufficiently "well" not for it to be of significant concern are than someone you're getting bent out of shape about.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I didn't watch the video but if that is an accurate transcript of his words, it is typical disorganized thought. The fact you think it makes sense on some level doesn't change the fact it regresses into disorganized thought.
I think you need to view the video. I think you are desperate for President Trump to be mentally ill, but he really doesn't sound any different than many people would, extemporising in front of a large crowd.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.