ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd July 2018, 05:07 AM   #241
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
He doesn't realize when S.A. increases production, the price drop halts American production because they would be operating at a loss.
They should work in COAL! Or STEEL. The only industries that matter.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 06:46 AM   #242
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has said in a new interview that he's planning more tax cuts for just before the election, that his Supreme Court picks might end up seeing abortion becoming illegal in some states, and says he might get involved with the Russia investigation
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:05 AM   #243
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
But I still have a toe in that water - in 2003 I bought and still own a Buell Firebolt that uses a Sportster engine in an Italian-sourced frame with lots of multinational bits and pieces. It strikes a perfect cord for me in the twisties around my N GA home.

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6165/...64c74513f3.jpg

Sorry for the hijack/derail - but I can’t just stand by and watch my HD cred assaulted!
Sigh.

I rode a bit back during college (Honda 550 - 4) and not long ago decided to return to those thrilling days of yesteryear. Got my safety training and license and heart set on a nice little machine. Mrs. Kcin, however, informed in all certain terms that that path would not be ridden on.

Glad to see you armor up. I’m astounded at the number of riders I encounter whose only protection is a (mandated) helmet.
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:21 PM   #244
FenerFan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Nope, post AMF “dark days”...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4510/...a7d19f30_o.jpg

In 1986 (I think) Harley had a promotion: buy a bare-bone Sportster for $3,995 and you could trade it in for a full-sized Harley any time in the next year and get the full value applied. I gave it a shot, but decided the whole HD thing was not for me.

But I still have a toe in that water - in 2003 I bought and still own a Buell Firebolt that uses a Sportster engine in an Italian-sourced frame with lots of multinational bits and pieces. It strikes a perfect cord for me in the twisties around my N GA home.

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6165/...64c74513f3.jpg

Sorry for the hijack/derail - but I can’t just stand by and watch my HD cred assaulted!
No offense intended, my tongue was securely in my cheek. Nice pic, too.
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:47 PM   #245
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
No offense intended, my tongue was securely in my cheek. Nice pic, too.
I suspected as much - and thanks!
Old 2nd July 2018, 01:06 PM   #246
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Congratulations to Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador on becoming the next President of Mexico. I look very much forward to working with him. There is much to be done that will benefit both the United States and Mexico!"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 01:11 PM   #247
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"Congratulations to Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador on becoming the next President of Mexico. I look very much forward to working with him. There is much to be done that will benefit both the United States and Mexico!"
Wow almost kind of normal presidential.

Does he know that a major part of his campaign was standing up to the US?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 01:25 PM   #248
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post

Pretty much any question about Trump that starts with "Does he know ..." has an obvious answer.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 01:42 PM   #249
gregthehammer
Muse

Trump Tweets

OT - That clunky turn of phrase is a pet peeve of mine! The 'Very Much' is pure fluff! (we have a guy at here at the office who uses that same phrasing. Drives me nuts!)
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 02:10 PM   #250
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post

Trump doesn't write all his own tweets. You can tell which ones he didn't because of relatively high levels of spelling, grammar, and sanity.
Old 2nd July 2018, 02:16 PM   #251
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Interview with Bolton on 'Face the Nation'

He indicated Trump is open to recognising Crimea as part of Russia.

After Brennan points out that "that's shocking for our European allies," Bolton says, "the president makes the policy, I don't make the policy."

Brennan asked "US intelligence believes Russia is actively trying to undermine NATO. Military spending aside, you understand why Trump's comments about Crimea & NATO-bashing are concerning?"

Bolton replied "Well, if you think Russia is a threat, why is Germany spending so little on defense?"

Brennan asked "Trump's own intel chiefs say Russia is still meddling. When you met w/Putin, did you confront him?"

Bolton replied "What Putin said was there was no meddling in 2016 by the Russian state"

Brennan asked "Right now, Russia is blanket bombing southern Syria. That violates the last agreement Putin made with Trump. Why would Trump trust Putin now?"

Bolton replied "Well, both countries dislike Iran"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 03:01 PM   #252
gregthehammer
Muse

Interview with Bolton on 'Face the Nation'

He indicated Trump is open to recognising Crimea as part of Russia.

After Brennan points out that "that's shocking for our European allies," Bolton says, "the president makes the policy, I don't make the policy."

Brennan asked "US intelligence believes Russia is actively trying to undermine NATO. Military spending aside, you understand why Trump's comments about Crimea & NATO-bashing are concerning?"

Bolton replied "Well, if you think Russia is a threat, why is Germany spending so little on defense?"

Brennan asked "Trump's own intel chiefs say Russia is still meddling. When you met w/Putin, did you confront him?"

Bolton replied "What Putin said was there was no meddling in 2016 by the Russian state"

Brennan asked "Right now, Russia is blanket bombing southern Syria. That violates the last agreement Putin made with Trump. Why would Trump trust Putin now?"

Bolton replied "Well, both countries dislike Iran"
Regarding the bolded -
I was under the impression that the USA tacitly preferred the arrangement whereby our allies didn't spend so much on their respective militaries, lest they became military threats to the USA themselves.
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:25 PM   #253
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump should remember that the lesser of two evils voter got him elected. If Trump recognizes Crimea as part of Ukraine, to that demographic he looks a whole lot more like the greater of two evils.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:50 PM   #254
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Regarding the bolded -
I was under the impression that the USA tacitly preferred the arrangement whereby our allies didn't spend so much on their respective militaries, lest they became military threats to the USA themselves.
The US had no fear of that. What they did want was to station a large army in Europe without provoking local hostility, and the argument that the locals were getting top-grade protection on the cheap contributed to that.

What the US particularly didn't want, of course, was military competition breaking out in Western Europe in the same old way, and they could put a stop to that sort of thing any time they liked.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:55 PM   #255
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Trump should remember that the lesser of two evils voter got him elected. If Trump recognizes Crimea as part of Ukraine, to that demographic he looks a whole lot more like the greater of two evils.

Somehow I doubt that. These people are very flexible in their weighing of "evil".
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:24 PM   #256
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Regarding the bolded -
Originally. Then the realities of increasing up-front investment in advancing modern weaponry hit home as well: if you have no one to share the costs, per-item expenses skyrocket. Arms sales to others who are not doing as much spending otherwise is what has made the US arsenal possible, at an affordable price (prior to the F-35).

Until the US started flooding Europe with its Utopian Freedom Gospel singers like Bannon, it also seemed to understand that European unity was worthwhile, and required the major investments undertaken to make it possible. But too many in Europe heeded the "wise" Americans and ended up "getting religion," and here we are with a disintegrating Union. Quite ripe for Russian hegemonic expansion, to the detriment of US interests... at least those that have not already taken a bribe.
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:17 PM   #257
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not so sure.

I think the GOP has got to the stage where whatever President Trump does is just fine (as long as they keep their seat) and the uninformed masses don't even know what Crimea is, much less where it is or have any idea that it's part of Ukraine. They will not understand why this is important and even if they do, they simply do not care. It's half a world away and has absolutely zero impact on their day to day life.

I mean it sounds like a good deal to me, make someone important (Putin) happy by giving him something that was never yours to begin with.

Anyone who would be unhappy about the US recognising the Russian annexation of Crimea is already firmly anti the Trump Administration and President Trump. Anyone who supports the Trump Administration, or is even wavering, probably doesn't care.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:41 PM   #258
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
That depends on whether their reasoning goes "This is what I think, and therefore I voted Republican" or "I voted republucan, therefore this is what I think."
Old 3rd July 2018, 01:19 AM   #259
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Somehow I doubt that. These people are very flexible in their weighing of "evil".
Incredibly so, sometimes. When 22% approve Obama doing something and 86% approve Trump doing the exact same thing... that becomes really obvious.
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:08 AM   #260
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Crazy Maxine Waters, said by some to be one of the most corrupt people in politics, is rapidly becoming, together with Nancy Pelosi, the FACE of the Democrat Party. Her ranting and raving, even referring to herself as a wounded animal, will make people flee the Democrats!"

"The economy is doing perhaps better than ever before, and that’s prior to fixing some of the worst and most unfair Trade Deals ever made by any country. In any event, they are coming along very well. Most countries agree that they must be changed, but nobody ever asked!"
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:09 AM   #261
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"When we have an “infestation” of MS-13 GANGS in certain parts of our country, who do we send to get them out? ICE! They are tougher and smarter than these rough criminal elelments that bad immigration laws allow into our country. Dems do not appreciate the great job they do! Nov."

"How can the Democrats, who are weak on the Border and weak on Crime, do well in November. The people of our Country want and demand Safety and Security, while the Democrats are more interested in ripping apart and demeaning (and not properly funding) our great Law Enforcement!"
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:20 AM   #262
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

I don't read Trump tweets, I switch off or at least Mute whenever Trump speaks anywhere on anything - there is absolutely nothing that the President of the United States can say that is worth paying attention to.
What we should focus on is what people with a sense of morals, civility and responsibility have to say: the Trump posse and bootlickers don't deserve the free media bandwidth they are getting: they should be forced to pay to have their **** being heard.
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:28 AM   #263
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Many good conversations with North Korea-it is going well! In the meantime, no Rocket Launches or Nuclear Testing in 8 months. All of Asia is thrilled. Only the Opposition Party, which includes the Fake News, is complaining. If not for me, we would now be at War with North Korea!"
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:30 AM   #264
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I still can't believe that the President of the USA says things like

"Crazy Maxine Waters, said by some to be one of the most corrupt people in politics"
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:31 AM   #265
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

"Many good conversations with North Korea-it is going well! In the meantime, no Rocket Launches or Nuclear Testing in 8 months. All of Asia is thrilled. Only the Opposition Party, which includes the Fake News, is complaining. If not for me, we would now be at War with North Korea!"

Someone should tell him the good news.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:42 AM   #266
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I still can't believe that the President of the USA says things like

"Crazy Maxine Waters, said by some to be one of the most corrupt people in politics"
Trump really should avoid the c-word.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:51 AM   #267
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Just out that the Obama Administration granted citizenship, during the terrible Iran Deal negotiation, to 2,500 Iranians - including to government officials. How big (and bad) is that?"
Old 3rd July 2018, 07:30 AM   #268
Stacko
Philosopher

The president says that a company's sales dropped in 2017 because its customers were unhappy with a move it announced in 2018.
*********** linear time, how does that work?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 08:42 AM   #269
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Excellent quick rundown of non-US NATO contributions by former Allied Commander. Worth the quick fact check which, of course, belies everything the fascists are saying.
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:06 AM   #270
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/st...43657115561984

Quote:
Just a reminder in all the noise that House GOP hasn't released a transcript of FBI Agent Peter Strzok's testimony, despite his attorney's repeated calls to do so. For people who have been so vocal about "transparency," they certainly like keeping a lot of secrets.
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:08 AM   #271
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Now that Harley-Davidson is moving part of its operation out of the U.S., my Administration is working with other Motor Cycle companies who want to move into the U.S. Harley customers are not happy with their move - sales are down 7% in 2017. The U.S. is where the Action is!"
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:10 AM   #272
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Trump Tweets

"Now that Harley-Davidson is moving part of its operation out of the U.S., my Administration is working with other Motor Cycle companies who want to move into the U.S. Harley customers are not happy with their move - sales are down 7% in 2017. The U.S. is where the Action is!"
Harley-Davidson customers have precognition?
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:14 AM   #273
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Gas prices skyrocket under Trump

Trump tries to take credit for everything. Take credit for the pain at the pump. Gas prices up more than 25 percent since he took office. Coincidence?
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:16 AM   #274
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, at least it isn't $10.00/gallon like it was under Obama.
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:08 AM   #275
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Hey, at least it isn't $10.00/gallon like it was under Obama.
When was it $10.00 a gallon? In Obama's last year in office 2016, a gallon of regular gas averaged $2.38 Today, it's about $3 I mean since Trump is responsible for it all.
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:17 AM   #276
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
When was it $10.00 a gallon? In Obama's last year in office 2016, a gallon of regular gas averaged $2.38 Today, it's about $3 I mean since Trump is responsible for it all.
ERROR: Sarcasm attachment failed. Please restart post. Fatal error.

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:38 AM   #277
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Gas has always been $3 in the United States. And your chocolate ration has been increased.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:00 AM   #278
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Wow Trump had it down to $2.38 back in 2016 and then Obama screwed it up*

*Trump is now no longer constrained by fake causality.
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:12 AM   #279
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
ERROR: Sarcasm attachment failed. Please restart post. Fatal error.

Haven't you learned by now?

You can't do sarcasm on the Internet. It screws up all us Sheldon Coopers.
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:12 PM   #280
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It was always $10 per gallon under Obama. Someone clearly has been remiss in his attention to the pronouncements from the Ministry of Truth. There are special camps to help you concentrate on their messages of Truth. A stay at one can be arranged.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics