ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 4th July 2018, 10:11 AM   #321
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
But if you set the cutoffs all at 90% and found that 50% of white applicants passed, 30% of Hispanic applucants passed, and 10% of black applicants passed, what would think? "Black people just aren't as smart"? Or "the test is systematically biased against black people"?

I remember an issue being raised years ago about a scholastic aptitude test that had vocabulary terms like "sculling". What group is most likely to be familiar with competitive team rowing?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 11:13 AM   #322
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I remember an issue being raised years ago about a scholastic aptitude test that had vocabulary terms like "sculling". What group is most likely to be familiar with competitive team rowing?
See, this just shows how the black community is not getting a proper education.
Old 4th July 2018, 11:15 AM   #323
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Trump repeatedly suggested invading Venezuela, stunning top aides Ė report

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nezuela-report

This doesnít surprise me.
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 11:40 AM   #324
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Real world example...

I forget the exact figures, but when I tested to work for Dade County, FL, a white applicant needed to score 90% on the entrance test, Hispanics 85% and blacks 75%. I was smart enough to get in, but a white applicant could have been denied a job that was given to a less qualified applicant. Seems like discrimination on the basis of race to me, something we should try to avoid.

I realize the alternative was to have a mostly white police force policing a mostly black area, which brings along its own set of issues.

Only to point out why I’m conflicted.

It could be -- I'm just speculating -- that those percentages -- if your understanding is accurate -- represented equivalent percentages of the applicant pool. Suppose a score of 90, 85 and 75 were achieved by, say, the top 20 percent of each applicant pool. So the test weeds out the bottom 80 percent of each group. Then you conduct interviews and background checks, look at school transcripts and references, etc. to make your selection. The test score is a starting point, not the deciding factor. You could achieve the same end by just administering the test on a "pass/fail" basis, and everybody with a passing score moves on to the next step. You could make race or "community connections" a legitimate selection criteria, but it still would be one of several.

Last edited by Bob001; 4th July 2018 at 11:45 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 11:44 AM   #325
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post

His "logic" is especially chilling:
Quote:
The previous day Trump reportedly took his top officials by surprise in an Oval Office meeting, asking why the US could not intervene to remove the government of Nicolas Maduro on the grounds that Venezuelaís political and economic unraveling represented a threat to the region.
So he thinks he can remove from office anybody in the world who pisses him off. One more item for the "Trump is crazy!" thread.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 01:39 PM   #326
Tero
Graduate Poster

It’s pretty obvious by now. No GOP politician can operatr outside of Trump. They can just come up with excuses: we don’t have the votes or the money. “Otherwise we would pass the current Trump thing.” If your district as congressman voted 70% Trump, you have two choces: 1 stick it out 2 leave politics and get on boards of corporations etc etc post congress jobs
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 02:53 PM   #327
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Itís pretty obvious by now. No GOP politician can operate outside of Trump.
The GOP's failure to make even a token stand against the Tea Party was an act of self-emasculation - or a resigned recognition of the fact.

The sad truth about emasculation is that the parts lost never grow back.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 05:53 PM   #328
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

U.S. Border Patrol questions crews of at least 10 fishing vessels in Canadian waters

In the past two weeks, at least 10 Canadian fishing boats from New Brunswick have been intercepted by U.S. Border Patrol agents while fishing in the disputed waters around Machias Seal Island, a spokesperson for the fishermen says.

“There’s been a bit of a misunderstanding there somewhere,” Cook said in an interview. “They’re in international waters, so border patrol shouldn’t be boarding Canadian vessels.”

Machias Seal Island, which is about 19 kilometres southwest of Grand Manan Island and east of Maine, is in a disputed area known as the Grey Zone, where lobster fishermen from both Canada and the United States have long fished side by side.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...an-waters.html
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 06:00 PM   #329
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"The OPEC Monopoly must remember that gas prices are up & they are doing little to help. If anything, they are driving prices higher as the United States defends many of their members for very little $ís. This must be a two way street. REDUCE PRICING NOW!"

Surely some mistake, just a few days ago he tweeted

"Just spoke to King Salman of Saudi Arabia and explained to him that, because of the turmoil & disfunction in Iran and Venezuela, I am asking that Saudi Arabia increase oil production, maybe up to 2,000,000 barrels, to make up the difference...Prices to high! He has agreed!"

Which is it?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 06:19 PM   #330
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post

Why the **** would we do that? Would not their problems suddenly become our problems? Who the hell would want that?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 06:20 PM   #331
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"The OPEC Monopoly must remember that gas prices are up & they are doing little to help. If anything, they are driving prices higher as the United States defends many of their members for very little $ís. This must be a two way street. REDUCE PRICING NOW!"

Surely some mistake, just a few days ago he tweeted

"Just spoke to King Salman of Saudi Arabia and explained to him that, because of the turmoil & disfunction in Iran and Venezuela, I am asking that Saudi Arabia increase oil production, maybe up to 2,000,000 barrels, to make up the difference...Prices to high! He has agreed!"

Which is it?
For Trump it's both. What was politically expedient several days ago is not expedient now, but may become so again in the near future. Depending on how things pan our he can either claim that he kept the oil flowing or that he lowered the price. In his mind it's a win either way.
Old 4th July 2018, 06:22 PM   #332
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Why the **** would we do that? Would not their problems suddenly become our problems? Who the hell would want that?
You are looking for logic in all the wrong places.
Old 4th July 2018, 06:23 PM   #333
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

...but we've always been at war with Eastasia.
Old 4th July 2018, 11:00 PM   #334
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Today marks yet another day on which the sun rises over American fascists mistreating innocent children and families, criminalizing their struggle for liberty and the pursuit of happiness: "Because not Norwegian." It also rises over white racist Europe, incapable of defining even the steady, minimum level of non-disruptive migration it requires to remain economically sound; still a bastion of ethnic and racial stupidity of the lowest, basest sort. In panicked reaction to a minor reduction in the showers of gold flake, both sides of the very rich Atlantic steadily increase the pounding racist drum beat, one that can only lead to eventual war. Yet another day on which the many strident endorsements of the day's trumped-up motives for white hubris ring hollow and empty.

All for coin, naught for integrity, hell-bent on staging a final bling parade and a very poison, very final farewell for all. "Who cares? Hands off my stack!" This, and no other, shall be the definitive white legacy. Unless it isn't, because the fascists and their vile myths shall be opposed and put down. A choice for the times, for all times.
Old 4th July 2018, 11:50 PM   #335
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Republican intellectuals (if there is such a thing) should realize how much Trump has turned the GOP into a Eastern/Southern European-style nationalist party and how these are faring in office: their politics lead to isolation, economic downturn, lack of innovation and lack of global influence; most far-right movement shatter the moment they lose their unifying leader-figure. Afterwards almost all have to re-invent themselves before they can even attempt to get back into political power.
The GOP is riding a nationalist wave that is going to leave them stranded on a craggy rock in the middle of the ocean.
Old 5th July 2018, 01:57 AM   #336
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Michael Cohen has removed the mention of Donald Trump from his twitter bio
Old 5th July 2018, 02:10 AM   #337
Worm
Master Poster

I think it's going to be fascinating to see Trump' s narrative around his re-election. He's been very critical of the election process as it is - and he won. God forbid he loses, I can't imagine what his reaction will be.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 02:24 AM   #338
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
They never knew each other obv.
Old 5th July 2018, 02:32 AM   #339
Bob001
Philosopher

That's pretty much what all of his advisers were telling him, in shifts.
https://apnews.com/a3309c4990ac45818...-official-says
Old 5th July 2018, 02:34 AM   #340
Bob001
Philosopher

George Will:
Quote:
As the president prepares, if this time he does prepare, for his second summit, note all that went wrong at the first. If he does as badly in his July 16 meeting with Vladimir Putin in Finland as he did with Kim Jong Un in Singapore, the consequences could be catastrophic.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.9b04084d102a
Old 5th July 2018, 02:40 AM   #341
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

As he is trying to have the meeting in 'private' with no note takers or others present how will we know if it went well or badly?
Old 5th July 2018, 02:42 AM   #342
Bob001
Philosopher

As he is trying to have the meeting in 'private' with no note takers or others present how will we know if it went well or badly?
He'll tell us. You'll believe him, won't you?
Old 5th July 2018, 02:44 AM   #343
Bob001
Philosopher

New York State could obtain and release Trump's tax returns:
Quote:
A state or county criminal investigation that begins with abuse of the Donald J. Trump Foundation need not be limited to violations of charity and election law. It can also examine his personal and business tax filings and, in the process, lawfully put his tax returns in the public record.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/04/o...c-lawsuit.html
Old 5th July 2018, 03:03 AM   #344
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Remember a month or so ago when Trump said he would reveal a plan in which drug manufacturers agree to reduce their prices?

He hasn't, and today Pfizer just raised prices on 100 different drugs.
But think how much the price raises would have been with out Trump!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 03:08 AM   #345
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Affirmative Action is one of those concepts Iím on the fence about.

On the one hand, I applaud the diversity it brings about. Yay!

On the other hand, being denied college entrance or a job because of the color of oneís skin seems patently unfair, at least at the individual level. And tipping the scales in favor of less qualified applicants has to, on average, affect the quality of the students entering or workers employed or whatever. Boo!

But flame suit on - I know sometimes itís hard to put forth a nuanced or conflicted position here.
Of course when you can't even be bothered to educate them in the first place they need something right?

https://www.freep.com/story/news/edu...ight/94218364/

"The State of Michigan wants a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit seeking to establish a constitutional right to literacy.

"The United States Supreme Court and Michigan courts recognize the importance of literacy," state lawyers wrote in a response last week to a suit filed on behalf of Detroit school children. "But as important as literacy may be, the United States Supreme Court has unambiguously rejected the claim that public education is a fundamental right under the Constitution. Literacy is a component or particular outcome of education, not a right granted to individuals by the Constitution.""
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 03:20 AM   #346
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Of course when you can't even be bothered to educate them in the first place they need something right?

https://www.freep.com/story/news/edu...ight/94218364/

"The State of Michigan wants a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit seeking to establish a constitutional right to literacy.

"The United States Supreme Court and Michigan courts recognize the importance of literacy," state lawyers wrote in a response last week to a suit filed on behalf of Detroit school children. "But as important as literacy may be, the United States Supreme Court has unambiguously rejected the claim that public education is a fundamental right under the Constitution. Literacy is a component or particular outcome of education, not a right granted to individuals by the Constitution.""
yep. That is what Originalism leads to: at a time when the UNHCR wants to guarantee a Right to Internet Access, SCOTUS denies a right to Literacy.
Old 5th July 2018, 03:27 AM   #347
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Republican intellectuals (if there is such a thing) should realize how much Trump has turned the GOP into a Eastern/Southern European-style nationalist party and how these are faring in office: their politics lead to isolation, economic downturn, lack of innovation and lack of global influence; most far-right movement shatter the moment they lose their unifying leader-figure. Afterwards almost all have to re-invent themselves before they can even attempt to get back into political power.
The GOP is riding a nationalist wave that is going to leave them stranded on a craggy rock in the middle of the ocean.
There are some Republicans who have chosen their country over Trump. Boot, Will, Kasich among others. It's incorrect to paint anti Trumpism as purely leftist. All you have to do to be anti Trump is be a patriot.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 03:39 AM   #348
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There are some Republicans who have chosen their country over Trump. Boot, Will, Kasich among others. It's incorrect to paint anti Trumpism as purely leftist. All you have to do to be anti Trump is be a patriot.
From the voting record, there are no anti Trump Republicans in Congress - not even the ones you mentioned.
There are some who think they can weather the Trump Storm within the party whilst maintaining integrity, but Trump has so far brought done everyone associated with him down to his level.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 5th July 2018 at 03:40 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 04:45 AM   #349
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Thatís an unsustainable lie.

People say Cohen brought him coffee once with George Papadopoulos.
Old 5th July 2018, 05:01 AM   #350
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
From the voting record, there are no anti Trump Republicans in Congress - not even the ones you mentioned.
There are some who think they can weather the Trump Storm within the party whilst maintaining integrity, but Trump has so far brought done everyone associated with him down to his level.
Um...I didn't mention any current members of Congress.
Old 5th July 2018, 05:30 AM   #351
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Time; how the **** does it work?

Who knew it could be so complicated?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 05:33 AM   #352
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

Why would Cohen bother keeping some coffee covfefe boy's name in his profile?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 06:25 AM   #353
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I think it's going to be fascinating to see Trump' s narrative around his re-election. He's been very critical of the election process as it is - and he won. God forbid he loses, I can't imagine what his reaction will be.
First, he'll likely have to be dragged out kicking and screaming. Well, okay, whining and yammering about how he's still president. Frankly, I expected him to tour the country declaring he was "robbed" even if Clinton had won in 2016, and many of his asinine followers would, of course, agree. I wouldn't be shocked if he were to try to declare the electors "illegal" or to forbid the Supremes from swearing someone else in, assuming he loses the election - but he doesn't have direct control over this, and they'd likely ignore him.

Second, expect a handful of white supremacists to turn violent, or at least to try to do so. They're already discussing it, but luckily most of it is just the usual internet tough talk.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 06:40 AM   #354
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

6m "Trump Baby" balloon to fly over Parliament Square Gardens during Trump's visit to the UK
Old 5th July 2018, 06:47 AM   #355
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The only reason people put up with The PDJT for now is that he's the most powerful man in the world. Once he's ousted, no one will want to have a thing to do with him. He will become bankrupt (again) and destitute. I am looking forward to that time with great anticipation.
Old 5th July 2018, 07:01 AM   #356
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
First, he'll likely have to be dragged out kicking and screaming. Well, okay, whining and yammering about how he's still president. Frankly, I expected him to tour the country declaring he was "robbed" even if Clinton had won in 2016, and many of his asinine followers would, of course, agree. I wouldn't be shocked if he were to try to declare the electors "illegal" or to forbid the Supremes from swearing someone else in, assuming he loses the election - but he doesn't have direct control over this, and they'd likely ignore him.

Second, expect a handful of white supremacists to turn violent, or at least to try to do so. They're already discussing it, but luckily most of it is just the usual internet tough talk.
He could order the agencies of the executive not to participate in the ceremony. He could refuse access to a transition team if he really wanted to be petulant. I would imagine though that people with an eye toward a continued career in politics or just loyalty to the agency and country would have secret transition meetings. A lot more business than usual would likely get done at Old Ebbitt Grill.
Old 5th July 2018, 07:10 AM   #357
Worm
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
He will become bankrupt (again) and destitute. I am looking forward to that time with great anticipation.
Former presidents receive a pension of about $200k per year, though no doubt he could manage to lose that in fairly short order.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 07:15 AM   #358
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The only reason people put up with The PDJT for now is that he's the most powerful man in the world. Once he's ousted, no one will want to have a thing to do with him. He will become bankrupt (again) and destitute. I am looking forward to that time with great anticipation.

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/busin...ing-ncna835716

That's already happening. He and his spawn won't live under a bridge or anything. A lot of the lower paid employees may. The name just isn't what it used to be. He's going to need to embrace budget resorts and lodging in Red States (a project that appears to be going poorly hee hee hee). Internationally he's screwed. His Washington DC hotel made a $2 million dollar profit which hardly offsets losses at properties in Scotland, New Jersey, New York, Los Angeles and here in Virginia. One of his Scotland properties lost $23 million dollars lost year.

DC being about the most anti Trump place in the country, I can't imagine his hotel here will continue to do well after he's out of office.

Last edited by Craig4; 5th July 2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 5th July 2018, 08:05 AM   #359
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Former presidents receive a pension of about $200k per year, though no doubt he could manage to lose that in fairly short order.
his creditors will get that.
Old 5th July 2018, 08:17 AM   #360
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

What type of pension will he get for working for Putin?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics