ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags church scandals , George Pell , roman catholic church , sex scandals

Old 20th October 2017, 03:51 AM   #481
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Don't know why you are so doggedly persisting with this - it is of little importance.

This extract from the article abaddon linked us to is of interest however:

The RCC maintains a consistency in its approach all over the World.
No, its of little importance to you over there in Brisbane, Australia. That doesn't mean its of little importance over here in Ireland, especially to those of us who live in a part of Ireland where Catholics are still hounded out of their homes by death threats from sectarian bigots.

Brendan Smyth is a national hate figure - to say there are "some within the RC community who are defending him to this day" is a very damaging and pejorative accusation against the Catholic community. I'd just like to know if there's any truth to the accusation or not.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:04 AM   #482
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Sure. That, however, is not the assertion that I'm questioning. Abaddon made quite a definite accusation that there are RCs still defending Brendan Smyth to this day. Well, I live in the same country as Abaddon and I've never heard anyone speak about Smyth with anything other than contempt and disgust, including Catholic clergy.

So I just want to know who is defending him?
Really? You asked a direct question...
If Abaddon was referring to people he knows in his personal life defending Brendan Smyth all he has to do is say so.
And I answered...
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
OK. I do. Happy now?
Yet here you are still inexplicably spinning your wheels.
Old 20th October 2017, 06:16 AM   #483
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

And I answered...

You made a claim, posted several links purporting to support it, which did nothing of the sort, and were blatantly false.

Now your assertion is that your contention was based solely on your personal anecdotes?

Hmmm, sounds like an inside job.
Old 20th October 2017, 07:07 AM   #484
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

And I answered...

So you hang out with people who defend paedophiles? Maybe you should get new friends.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 01:20 PM   #485
Thor 2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
You made a claim, posted several links purporting to support it, which did nothing of the sort, and were blatantly false.

Now your assertion is that your contention was based solely on your personal anecdotes?

Hmmm, sounds like an inside job.

What the hell do you want? Abaddon to obtain sworn affidavits from those he has met that think Smyth was a great guy?

The question you are avoiding here The Big Dog, is that many of the hierarchy of the RCC, did deliberately cover up the evidence of child abuse, and thus facilitated it's continuation.

Do you deny this!
Old 20th October 2017, 01:30 PM   #486
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

So you hang out with people who defend paedophiles? Maybe you should get new friends.
Sorry. I refuse to take a massive dump on those I consider friends regardless that I may disagree with them.

Perhaps you have a catholic view of that. I do not. I have a spectrum of friends of varying beliefs across a multitude of faiths. You are suggesting that I should somehow unfriend them in favour of one of many beliefs just because.

Have you no idea how utterly repulsive that notion is? Clearly you do not.
Old 20th October 2017, 01:48 PM   #487
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Sorry. I refuse to take a massive dump on those I consider friends regardless that I may disagree with them.

Perhaps you have a catholic view of that. I do not. I have a spectrum of friends of varying beliefs across a multitude of faiths. You are suggesting that I should somehow unfriend them in favour of one of many beliefs just because.

Have you no idea how utterly repulsive that notion is? Clearly you do not.
If your friends are defending paedophilia maybe you should rethink your social life, is all I'm saying.
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM   #488
Thor 2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
What the hell do you want? Abaddon to obtain sworn affidavits from those he has met that think Smyth was a great guy?

The question you are avoiding here The Big Dog, is that many of the hierarchy of the RCC, did deliberately cover up the evidence of child abuse, and thus facilitated it's continuation.

Do you deny this!

Still waiting for a reply here The Big Dog. Now the diversion of trying to can abaddon has been laid to rest.
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #489
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I am very relieved to note that Wikipedia states that the anti-Semitic implications of the term "shyster" are based on a false etymology and without evidence.
Doesn't really change the anti-Semitic implications, though. I doubt most people have the etymology in mind when they use the term.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #490
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

If your friends are defending paedophilia maybe you should rethink your social life, is all I'm saying.
No. That is why the nordy BSery continues. Defriending someone simply because they might have differing beliefs is the height of utter scummbagery.

I don't engage in that kind of scummery.

Feel free to tell everyone why I should.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy