ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police misconduct charges , shooting incidents

Old 31st July 2019, 06:42 AM   #121
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
It could be concerning, yes, but I'm struggling to see how it warrants Salvador shooting both parents then shooting the son dead, after the mother has got in between him and the son.

Dave
Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. If he got hit hard enough to be knocked down, while holding his kid, it would very likely cause some panic.

To me it would change the severity of the charges, maybe. I don't know. I would like to get a better understanding of what it means. He seems to bring it up specifically, and if he's a friend of the family it could be downplayed. There's nothing here that warrants emptying a gun in any way, shape or form.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 06:49 PM   #122
Random
Illuminator

Well its been two weeks and no Costco cctv footage has been released by the authorities, so I will say that the video clearly shows an unjustified shooting.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:53 PM   #123
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Okay, fair enough. I have a good friend who is a volunteer educator in mental health, and she did a session for the federal police once, and I got the impression it wasn't a common thing.
Further to this:

Fatal police shooting of mentally ill Taree man prompts calls for better officer training

Quote:
Questions are being raised about a lack of police training in mental health, after a man with schizophrenia was fatally shot by police after a nine-hour stand-off on the state's Mid North coast.

A critical incident investigation has been launched after Todd McKenzie, 40, was shot five times after negotiations stalled and tactical officers stormed his Taree home, just after 10:00pm last night.

It's the latest in a series of fatal police operations involving mental health cases, including that of 22-year-old Courtney Topic, which last year led to a Coroner recommending a major review of police training.

Greens MP David Shoebridge said the shooting was symptomatic of a continuing lack of training for police in mental health issues.

"This is the latest tragic incident, and it's terribly, brutally predictable," he said.

"The great majority of police have no, or a tiny, amount of training on mental health.

"It's not a core part of the basic training for general duties for police, and they're not adequately equipped for people who are having chronic mental health concerns in the community."
So what I said was not inaccurate.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 04:27 AM   #124
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Some updates:

Case has been handed over to the DA to make charging decisions as of June 28th.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...QUoxelN6d3k0Yw

More recently, a gag order has been placed on releasing the video. The video will be suppressed for 1 year, at the conclusion of the trial, or if charges are not brought. https://www.latimes.com/california/s...cer-disability

Gonna go ahead and invoke SuburbanTurkey's law, which states:
If the police have video of a shooting in which they are confident that he officer acted lawfully, the video will be released quickly.

My bet is on this being a bad shoot, and may be egregious enough that a cop actually ends up in the clink over it. But I'm an optimist.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:26 AM   #125
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I could see the family asking for it to be supressed outside the court.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:32 AM   #126
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I could see the family asking for it to be supressed outside the court.
Quote:
"Additionally, the court finds that due to the graphic nature of the video and the significant public attention on the shooting, the release of the video prior to the conclusion of the criminal investigation reasonably could result in harm to the suspect, who is out of custody, and could interfere with the integrity of the jury trial process in any potential subsequent prosecution,” Keen wrote in his decision.
This is from the appeal that the LA times filed to get the video. CA has explicit record laws that require release of video involving police shootings, barring a gag order for specific reasons, such as interfering with a trial.

While it may be disturbing for the family to see video of their loved one being shot dead, I very much doubt they are in favor of suppressing the video.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th August 2019 at 05:33 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events