ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags abortion laws , political predictions , prediction threads , Roe v. Wade

View Poll Results: When will Roe v Wade be overturned
Before 31 December 2020 18 32.73%
Before 31 December 2022 2 3.64%
Before 31 December 2024 1 1.82%
SCOTUS will not pick a case up 9 16.36%
SCOTUS will pick it up and decline to overturn 25 45.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th May 2019, 09:41 PM   #161
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
While its good that a notable republican donor is stepping up, the big question is: why was he a republican donor in the first place?

The republican party is known for its ties to christian evangelicalism. He should have known years ago that if the party he has financially supported for years had the opportunity, that there was a chance that a ban on abortions would be a desired outcome for many republican politicians.

Maybe he should have supported the "Leopards eating people's faces" party instead.
Rich guys like tax cuts.
Old 28th May 2019, 09:47 AM   #162
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Non Roe v Wade attack angle example:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/planned-parenthood-missouri-last-abortion-clinic-says-it-may-lose-its-license-this-week-exclusive-2019-05-28/
Old 28th May 2019, 10:03 AM   #163
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
A drop in the ocean compared to these guys, though: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/democ...b0db9c29929cd3

All the democracy money can buy...

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 08:18 AM   #164
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it looks like a few companies might have the right idea:

From: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48457401
Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney says Georgia's controversial new anti-abortion law would make it "difficult" for the company to keep filming there.
Earlier this week, Netflix said it would "rethink" its operations there with chief content officer Ted Sarandos explaining: "We have many women working on productions in Georgia, whose rights, along with millions of others, will be severely restricted by this law"
Comedy actress and writer Kristen Wiig also confirmed to CNN that her new comedy had pulled out of filming in the state while the executive producers of a new Amazon show The Power said it was no longer scouting for filming locations in Georgia because of the controversial bill.

Given the way that republicans have manage to stack the judiciary, I think economic pressure may be the best way to go. A lot of movies and TV shows are filmed in Georgia (thanks in part to government subsidies), but if production companies (and other businesses) start leaving the state, it may cause them to rethink their stance.

The same thing sort of happened in North Carolina... the state brought in a law regarding trans people and their use of the bathroom, which was widely criticized. Several businesses threatened to either pull out of the state, or stop planned expansion plans. As a result the state backed off its initial plans. (They still have some problems with their laws, but economic pressure did force them to back off the worst of their plans.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...der/729791002/

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 08:25 AM   #165
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The only way to stop this communist conspiracy of pro-choice activism is to make all companies state-owned and make them to their business in Georgia.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:39 AM   #166
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it looks like a few companies might have the right idea:

From: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48457401
Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney says Georgia's controversial new anti-abortion law would make it "difficult" for the company to keep filming there.
Earlier this week, Netflix said it would "rethink" its operations there with chief content officer Ted Sarandos explaining: "We have many women working on productions in Georgia, whose rights, along with millions of others, will be severely restricted by this law"
Comedy actress and writer Kristen Wiig also confirmed to CNN that her new comedy had pulled out of filming in the state while the executive producers of a new Amazon show The Power said it was no longer scouting for filming locations in Georgia because of the controversial bill.

Given the way that republicans have manage to stack the judiciary, I think economic pressure may be the best way to go. A lot of movies and TV shows are filmed in Georgia (thanks in part to government subsidies), but if production companies (and other businesses) start leaving the state, it may cause them to rethink their stance.

The same thing sort of happened in North Carolina... the state brought in a law regarding trans people and their use of the bathroom, which was widely criticized. Several businesses threatened to either pull out of the state, or stop planned expansion plans. As a result the state backed off its initial plans. (They still have some problems with their laws, but economic pressure did force them to back off the worst of their plans.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...der/729791002/
I predict that there will be a 'religious freedom' law suit of some sort
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 11:43 AM   #167
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
I predict that there will be a 'religious freedom' law suit of some sort
Yup

https://nypost.com/2019/05/29/satani...fetal-remains/

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 01:33 PM   #168
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Given the way that republicans have manage to stack the judiciary, I think economic pressure may be the best way to go.
I'd be the exact opposite and say this is one area economic pressure won't ever work and will actually harden the antis stance.
Old 30th May 2019, 01:55 PM   #169
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Given the way that republicans have manage to stack the judiciary, I think economic pressure may be the best way to go.
I'd be the exact opposite and say this is one area economic pressure won't ever work and will actually harden the antis stance.
It worked in North Carolina. Despite the false premise that the 'Trans ban' was to "protect the children from molesters hiding in the bathrooms", it didn't take them long to say "Ok, screw the children... we want our money".

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 05:02 PM   #170
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

It worked in North Carolina. Despite the false premise that the 'Trans ban' was to "protect the children from molesters hiding in the bathrooms", it didn't take them long to say "Ok, screw the children... we want our money".
Pathetic analogy. Trans rights are so far from abortion rights the idea is laughable.

Economy will never affect attitudes to abortion.
Old 30th May 2019, 07:04 PM   #171
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Meanwhile, in Rhode Island...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rhode...b0e8085e36bc85
Old 30th May 2019, 09:19 PM   #172
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Pathetic analogy. Trans rights are so far from abortion rights the idea is laughable.
Economy will never affect attitudes to abortion.
It doesn't have to affect the attitudes of hardcore anti-abortionists.

It only has to affect the people who only pretend to be anti-abortion, but are using the issue to either score cheap political points with the more feeble-minded evangelicals, or to further their bigotry. If the economy starts to go south, all those republicans who claim to be godly (but are anything but) will see their chances of re-election go down the tubes. That's going to make a few of them change their stance.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 31st May 2019, 01:36 AM   #173
Baylor
Philosopher

Do yourself a favor and stop reading the Huffington post.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 12:06 PM   #174
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Do yourself a favor and stop reading the Huffington post.
Is that a lesson in how to look like a complete idiot?

The source is irrelevant - the points stated are correct.

Rhode Island
Old 31st May 2019, 07:10 PM   #175
Baylor
Philosopher

Is that a lesson in how to look like a complete idiot?

The source is irrelevant - the points stated are correct.

Rhode Island
The source matters. You, the foreigner, are in the minority in thinking Roe v Wade will be overturned (it won't). It's because you're getting your information from bias sources and you just flat out don't understand US politics.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 03:47 PM   #176
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The source matters. You, the foreigner, are in the minority in thinking Roe v Wade will be overturned (it won't). It's because you're getting your information from bias sources and you just flat out don't understand US politics.
You are completely full of it.

I have not stated I think Roe will be overturned. Your "argument" that the Republican states aren't trying to overturn it is nonsense in view of the states who are trying to ban abortion right now.

As to bias[ed] sources, my apologies - I didn't realise Whitehouse.gov and Mike Pence were biased.

Originally Posted by Mike Pence
But life is winning in America ultimately because of all of you and the people that you represent all across this country. It is — as President Trump said well, it is a movement born out of love. In these divided times in the life of our nation, I couldn’t be more proud of the deep compassion of the pro-life movement and the continued commitment to be there to love them both.

I mean, for all the progress since 1973, the resilience of this movement proceeding out of the heart of a compassionate nation, I just know in my heart of hearts that this will be the generation that restores life in America.
bolding mine

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...tute-luncheon/

You're right - I don't understand US politics; I absurdly thought the Vice President and President held positions of power.
Old 1st June 2019, 07:14 PM   #177
Baylor
Philosopher

You are completely full of it.

I have not stated I think Roe will be overturned.
Uh, right here.
When does Roe v Wade get thrown out?

With a SCOTUS now built on solidly anti-abortion conservatives, I can see a 5-4 vote devolving legislation to states happening in the very near future.

I reckon the Red Team will be looking for a judgement before the 2020 election, so my pick is within one year.

Your "argument" that the Republican states aren't trying to overturn it is nonsense in view of the states who are trying to ban abortion right now.
It's more of a flex on federal supremacy. This is just US style political jockeying. There's more to it than what you read in Huffington Post headlines.
As to bias[ed] sources, my apologies - I didn't realise Whitehouse.gov and Mike Pence were biased.
You didn't?!?!

All of the sudden you believe politicians? Wow. You are gullible
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:35 PM   #178
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Story from last year on amateur abortion provider services:
https://story.californiasunday.com/abortion-providers
Old 7th June 2019, 10:25 AM   #179
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Quote:
Alabama Governor Kay Ivey said the new law might be “unenforceable” due to Roe v Wade – the landmark Supreme Court decision that legalised abortion nationwide in 1973 – but said the new law was passed with the aim of challenging that decision.
Link
Old 28th June 2019, 03:56 PM   #180
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Interesting news on Roe as the Supreme Court declines to hear Alabama's challenge to its uber-restrictive proposals being banned by lower courts. https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-...-idUSKCN1TT22D

In the ruling comes a chilling note from Justice Thomas, that will no doubt breathe further life into Red State attempts to outlaw abortion:

Quote:
The notion that anything in the Constitution prevents states from passing laws prohibiting the dismembering of a living child is implausible.
Old 9th July 2019, 12:10 PM   #181
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

AP News: Abortions halted at Arkansas clinic while new site sought
Old 10th July 2019, 03:43 PM   #182
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
And that fact alone will deliver Trump a new term.

That and the fact that SCOTUS has ruled that gerrymandering is legal. White Evangelical voters turned out in record numbers in 2016, 81%, up from a previous high of around 64%, and all for Trump. With Roe v. Wade and quite likely another seat on the bench up for grabs, the Dems need someone pretty damned charismatic and motivating to get the votes needed to prevent another four years of Trump. With Biden currently leading in the primary run-up... yeah, no. We're screwed.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 09:21 PM   #183
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tennessee-abortion-laws-tennessee-to-push-for-total-abortion-ban-with-sights-on-supreme-court/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events