ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 9th August 2019, 12:14 PM   #121
ArchSas
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Sure, but unless your claim is that anything right-wing is part of a pipeline to white supremacy (in which case the claim is ridiculous on its face and need not be discussed further), then how are they relevant here?

Then you shouldn't have brought him up.
Are you incapable of making an argument that isn't entirely based on a strawman? Or is your default mode just set to project that much?

For the last time, to be absolutely clear: I never said anything part of the right wing is a pipeline to white supremacy, I brought up specific examples of the pipeline, and explained how they fit into it. I didn't bring up Peterson to start a debate on the merits of his "philosophy." Peterson was included because, whether you want to admit it or not, his worldview is (among other other things) that "postmodern neomarxists" have been conspiring since the 1960s to destroy society, and that's what has created the problems that his audience faces. Yeah, his self-help book might give some platitudes about not blaming other people for your problems, but Peterson spreads his "postmodern neomarxist" idea all the time in public, including on venues like Prager U. By doing that, he introduces his audience to a conspiratorial way of thinking that has a direct parallel to the concept of "cultural marxism," and absolutely does funnel some of his fans into that pipeline. Beyond any number of sources showing the connections, I've personally seen it happen.

It's clear that you're going to reject anything I say out of hand and argue in bad faith, so I'm done here. Anyone interested in which of us is more correct can do the research and see what the evidence says about the merits of my arguments.

Last edited by ArchSas; 9th August 2019 at 12:19 PM.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 01:36 PM   #122
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,150
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
(shrug)

When this just keeps happening, featuring far more disenfranchised people from all walks, let's not pretend there wasn't something we could do to try to stop it.

Re the hilite: extremist murders probably covers a lot of ground; potentially far more than the mass/spree murders that make the headlines or those classed as "domestic terrorism" we're discussing here. So please provide proof that ALL of them were right-wing extremists.
Ok.

https://www.businessinsider.com/extr...19-1?r=US&IR=T
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 02:44 PM   #123
d4m10n
Illuminator
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 4,111
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
PC crowd's excesses of which there are many, maybe something like the Bolsheviks or the Taliban is better comparison
Movements which encouraged mass murder is a good comparison for the censorious busybodies who try to get people banned from Twitter?

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
The PC agenda is just as sinister as any greed based Right wing fear mongering.
Right-wing fear-mongering has inspired the bombing of Oklahoma City and mass murder in El Paso, with countless fellow travelers taking lives in the interim. What exactly has political correctness inspired? Safe space training at your local campus.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The way I see it, Nazism was fascism+. With the '+' being "plus the Hitlerite perversion of raid anti-semitism." Italy and Spain show us what fascism really looked like, before Adolf Hitler ruined it for everyone.
Franco carried on for a bit, but basically, yeah.
__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/

Last edited by d4m10n; 9th August 2019 at 02:57 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 03:46 PM   #124
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,744
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I'm not sure I believe that. For one thing, I think most of these spree killings are the work of deranged individuals who read message boards and think they can blame their problems on right-wing ideals, because they see others doing it.

Well, given the experts on the subject of terrorism have no problem recognizing right-wing domestic terrorism as what it is, I'll stick with what the experts are saying, cf. the FBI domestic terrorism bulletin noted in the Stochastic Terrorism thread.
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 03:51 PM   #125
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,744
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The way I see it, Nazism was fascism+. With the '+' being "plus the Hitlerite perversion of raid anti-semitism." Italy and Spain show us what fascism really looked like, before Adolf Hitler ruined it for everyone.

Let's see, Spanish fascism did what... violent repression of the Catalans and Basques, and the arrest, imprisonment, and "disappearance" of political opponents and protesters. Yup, fascism was all rainbows and unicorn poop until Hitler "ruined" it.

Italian fascism... hrm... based on an idealized view of Roman fascism, which depended on slavery and engaged in genocide of the Carthaginians. The Italians themselves... lesseee... ethnic cleansing of the Slavic peoples, particularly the Serbs.

Quote:
When dealing with such a race as Slavic - inferior and barbarian - we must not pursue the carrot, but the stick policy.... We should not be afraid of new victims.... The Italian border should run across the Brenner Pass, Monte Nevoso and the Dinaric Alps.... I would say we can easily sacrifice 500,000 barbaric Slavs for 50,000 Italians....

— Benito Mussolini, speech held in Pula, 20 September 1920

And the brutal enslavement of African peoples in Italy's African colonies.

Not to mention a great deal of antisemitism and persecution of Jews in both Italy and Spain.

Yup, those fascists definitely were the good guys until Hitler came along.
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon

Last edited by luchog; 9th August 2019 at 04:07 PM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 03:58 PM   #126
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36,892
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Let's see, Spanish fascism did what... violent repression of the Catalans and Basques; including the arrest, imprisonment, and "disappearance" of political opponents. Yup, fascism was all rainbows and unicorn poop until Hitler "ruined" it.
The way I see it, there's not much to like, between fascism and communism. But thanks to Hitler, communism still gets way more of a pass in popular culture than fascism. Even though Nazism isn't really representative of fascism as such.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 04:43 PM   #127
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,744
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The way I see it, there's not much to like, between fascism and communism. But thanks to Hitler, communism still gets way more of a pass in popular culture than fascism. Even though Nazism isn't really representative of fascism as such.

Nazism is perfectly representative of fascism taken to its logical conclusion. The difference between German, Italian, Spanish, and Roman fascism is merely one of degree, not of kind. Italian fascism was even the model for Hitler's Germany.
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 10:59 PM   #128
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Thank-you for the link.

I was going to write out a nice long diatribe taking exception to a lot of things it says, but as I fell down that rabbit hole I discovered I didn't have to -a bunch of other people are making my points for me, and far more effectively, so I shall leave it alone.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 12:15 AM   #129
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,328
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Franco carried on for a bit, but basically, yeah.

Till 1975. And Portugal was fascist till 1974.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:29 AM   #130
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,089
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Movements which encouraged mass murder is a good comparison for the censorious busybodies who try to get people banned from Twitter?
The funniest part? The channers, GGers, and other online hate mobs are the most organized censorious busybodies online as well, so even if someone is whining about "what you can't say anymore", the reasonable person still comes out against the wannabe Nazi crowd. And if you claim to go with the white supremacists because you're so angry at being censored...well, you're lying, or you're confusing "censorship" with "everyone listens to what I say", which is laughable.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:05 AM   #131
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,158
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Labels aside, what are the distinguishing characteristics of fascism?

Whatever list you come up with, I'd be surprised if those characteristics were historically exemplified by Benito but not Adolph.
Using the fascine as a symbol? So symbols of an ancient Roman glorious* past, as opposed to an ancient Aryan glorious* past.


*For glorious, read imagined.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 11th August 2019 at 05:08 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 02:05 AM   #132
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee
 
Juniversal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,046
https://www.thedailybeast.com/tucker...lem-in-america

Tucker Carlson "white Supremacy Not a Real Problem in America"

Late posting but good ole Tucker Carlson proving my point. He'd sooner label Black Lives Matter and ANTIFA terrorist organizations or hate groups before he'd admit white supremacy in America is a problem despite the numerous recent incidents of white supremacist violence and mass shootings.
__________________
"God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Juniversal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:10 AM   #133
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47,170
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Domestic terrorism comes in multiple forms, and to apparently obsess on one form over others like you seem to be doing takes vigilance away from the others, and humor or not, your above comment shows that Thought Policey nature of Lefty thought, just as much the the Righties love to Fear Monger.

Both just repeat their chosen mantras and cover their ears.
Look the reason is clear, the FBI will not investigate white supremacist domestic terrorism for fears of finding to many ties to trump.

https://www.gq.com/story/trump-fbi-w...ist-terrorists

So while it comes in multiple forms, there is really only one form that we totally ignore and pretend doesn't exist even if it has the highest body count. We prefer to focus on other terrorist groups regardless of the if they have ever killed anyone.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:13 AM   #134
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47,170
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I'm not sure I believe that. For one thing, I think most of these spree killings are the work of deranged individuals who read message boards and think they can blame their problems on right-wing ideals, because they see others doing it.

"I'm a hateful, cruel, twisted person...and everyone says the republicans are hateful, cruel and twisted, so I'll look there for a home"
"Gee, they don't want me, either. Apparently no one does."

<shooting spree, suicide>

Wow! Look what that nut did! It's the PragerU's / Right Wing / Conservatives / Founding Father's / King Henry's / Caesar's fault!

Put the blame where it belongs: the jerk who acted. Stop looking for someone else -or something else- to blame and start looking for other patterns or other common denominators that lead to these horrific outcomes.

Personally, I think mental illness and personal setbacks seem to be two of the biggest red flags. So why aren't we talking about more ways to help these people before they lose all hope and become angry to the core?
Interesting this means that ideology is totally disconnected from terrorism and those who advocate and inspire it are irrelevant. This should really change how we fight the war on terror overseas.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:15 AM   #135
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47,170
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Eh?
Yep totally worse than merely blowing up a federal building.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:17 AM   #136
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47,170
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I don't know if Alf is a terrorist, and I find it a bit strange that you are bringing environmental terrorism into this talk about extreme right wing terrorism. Could you explain that?
Basic bothsidesism, so burning down an unoccupied building killing or injuring no one is the same as blowing up a federal building or shooting up a mosque/black church/synagogue.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:18 AM   #137
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,794
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Nazism is perfectly representative of fascism taken to its logical conclusion.
And Stalinism is perfectly representative of communism taken to its logical conclusion. But because Hitler lost and Stalin won, communism isn’t universally reviled like it should be.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:20 AM   #138
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster
 
Pterodactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,163
I tend to agree with the notion that the Youtube generation has produced some real losers, and these guys are the ultimate manifestation.

Some of these guys are white supremacists, some were bullied at school, maybe some were Incels (I still haven't wrapped my mind around this ideology), that one guy hated cops, did we ever get the motive of the Las Vegas shooter? But the key feature is they all want attention/fame and they were willing to kill people to get it.

I don't know of a way to fix this. I think making firearms harder to get will help out, like 15 years down the line. Taking away certain message boards won't really help anything. New ones will pop up and censoring will just validate the "oppressed" narrative.

Hopefully this is just a historical blip, but I have my doubts.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:24 AM   #139
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47,170
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I tend to agree with the notion that the Youtube generation has produced some real losers, and these guys are the ultimate manifestation.

Some of these guys are white supremacists, some were bullied at school, maybe some were Incels (I still haven't wrapped my mind around this ideology), that one guy hated cops, did we ever get the motive of the Las Vegas shooter? But the key feature is they all want attention/fame and they were willing to kill people to get it.
Wow calling someone born in 1953 as a member of the Youtube generation is maybe a bit of a stretch?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:29 AM   #140
rockysmith76
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I don't know if Alf is a terrorist, and I find it a bit strange that you are bringing environmental terrorism into this talk about extreme right wing terrorism. Could you explain that?
simple, there are terrorists on both sides and its amazingly hypocritical to focus on the right while giving the left a pass, but that whats wrong with partisan politics in the first place,
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:31 AM   #141
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47,170
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
simple, there are terrorists on both sides and its amazingly hypocritical to focus on the right while giving the left a pass, but that whats wrong with partisan politics in the first place,
And why should we focus equally on those burning down unoccupied buildings as those who engage in mass shootings and bombing targeted at people?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:32 AM   #142
rockysmith76
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Let's see, Spanish fascism did what... violent repression of the Catalans and Basques, and the arrest, imprisonment, and "disappearance" of political opponents and protesters. Yup, fascism was all rainbows and unicorn poop until Hitler "ruined" it.

Italian fascism... hrm... based on an idealized view of Roman fascism, which depended on slavery and engaged in genocide of the Carthaginians. The Italians themselves... lesseee... ethnic cleansing of the Slavic peoples, particularly the Serbs.




And the brutal enslavement of African peoples in Italy's African colonies.

Not to mention a great deal of antisemitism and persecution of Jews in both Italy and Spain.

Yup, those fascists definitely were the good guys until Hitler came along.
And Stalin killed 40 million of his own and purged anyone who disagreed, there was brutality on both sides.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:35 AM   #143
rockysmith76
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Basic bothsidesism, so burning down an unoccupied building killing or injuring no one is the same as blowing up a federal building or shooting up a mosque/black church/synagogue.
or theyve just been lucky so far. text book moral equivalence. "Its okay when our guys do it" What BS
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 08:33 AM   #144
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47,170
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
or theyve just been lucky so far. text book moral equivalence. "Its okay when our guys do it" What BS
No one is saying that, it is the idea that maybe the side with the current dramatically higher body count might be prioritized over the side with none.

But I get it really Heather Heyer had it coming anyway for being a member of terrorist Antifa anyway so that clearly doesn't count as anything.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 10:07 AM   #145
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,744
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
And Stalinism is perfectly representative of communism taken to its logical conclusion. But because Hitler lost and Stalin won, communism isn’t universally reviled like it should be.

Well, no. Soviet Russia was never a true (Marxist) communist society; it was a totalitarian socialist society, and as such was pretty solidly representative of a totalitarian socialism. There has, to my knowledge, never been a true communist society enacted on a national scale anywhere in the world, only a handful of much smaller communities. It's extremely unlikely that anything like communism could exist on that large a scale, given that it's inherently utopian and impractical.
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:06 AM   #146
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee
 
Juniversal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,046
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
simple, there are terrorists on both sides and its amazingly hypocritical to focus on the right while giving the left a pass, but that whats wrong with partisan politics in the first place,
Well the difference is left wing terrorism isn't a real problem in our society. Assuming you're labeling ANTIFA as "terrorist" (which I think is pretty generous) they're pretty much the beginning and end of left wing terrorism in this country (if we accept the claim they're terrorist). They AREN'T equivalent.

ANTIFA has no body count and are fairly small and marginal...
__________________
"God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Juniversal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:07 AM   #147
rockysmith76
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post

ANTIFA has no body count and are fairly small and marginal...
so far..... dismissal based on bias towards your own side.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:28 AM   #148
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee
 
Juniversal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,046
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
so far..... dismissal based on bias towards your own side.
Umm no. Dismissal on the basis that left wing terrorism/terrorism motivated by leftist causes is so insignificant that it is nearly non-existent as a phenomenon.
__________________
"God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Juniversal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:01 PM   #149
Lurch
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 861
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I'm not sure I believe that. For one thing, I think most of these spree killings are the work of deranged individuals who read message boards and think they can blame their problems on right-wing ideals, because they see others doing it.

"I'm a hateful, cruel, twisted person...and everyone says the republicans are hateful, cruel and twisted, so I'll look there for a home"
"Gee, they don't want me, either. Apparently no one does."

<shooting spree, suicide>

Wow! Look what that nut did! It's the PragerU's / Right Wing / Conservatives / Founding Father's / King Henry's / Caesar's fault!

Put the blame where it belongs: the jerk who acted. Stop looking for someone else -or something else- to blame and start looking for other patterns or other common denominators that lead to these horrific outcomes.

Personally, I think mental illness and personal setbacks seem to be two of the biggest red flags. So why aren't we talking about more ways to help these people before they lose all hope and become angry to the core?
Then we must blame individually each member of ISIS, or Al Qaeda, for his acts. Never tar the group collectively. After all, his screed calling for death to Americans is no different than an American's screed calling for death to brown invaders. Right?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:18 PM   #150
Lurch
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 861
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
so far..... dismissal based on bias towards your own side.
Does "so far" have no meaning or validity at all? Not having crystal balls with which to see the future, and basing conclusions on past and current evidence, it's perfectly correct to say that Right wing terrorism is demonstrably more harmful than Left wing terrorism.

And we can only project future trends based upon that which is in evidence. "So far", mortality has attended Rightist violence to a far greater degree than it has Leftist violence. And given the trend for the increased acceptance of progressive ideas, we might reasonably surmise a continuance, if not a rise, in Rightist violence as the triggered wannabe fascists see liberal humanism threaten their perceived privelege.

Now, I suppose you're suggesting that we discount the past/present events that have occurred "so far" just because *there might in future* arise some increase in Leftist murders that eclipse Rightist murders. Does the *possible future* outweigh the *demonstrated past*? In the world of the Trumpist, I suppose.

Last edited by Lurch; 12th August 2019 at 11:25 PM.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 04:00 AM   #151
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,328
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Then we must blame individually each member of ISIS, or Al Qaeda, for his acts. Never tar the group collectively. After all, his screed calling for death to Americans is no different than an American's screed calling for death to brown invaders. Right?

They are actually much more radical than that. In the case of terror committed by Muslim extremists, they prefer to blame all Muslims instead of ISIS or Al Qaeda.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 04:07 AM   #152
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,328
I have already mentioned what white male privilege has to do with the American Dream. Here's Robert Reich's take on this idea:

Quote:
Robert Reich: The Myth of the Rugged Individual
If everyone thinks they’re on their own, it’s easier for the powerful to dismantle unions, unravel safety nets, and slash taxes for the wealthy. It’s in their interest to keep the American Dream deeply rooted in our psyche – the assumption that YOU determine your destiny alone.
So we don’t demand reforms that are necessary – paid family and medical leave, for example, or early childhood education, accessible childcare, and policies that lift every family out of poverty.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 08:28 AM   #153
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Then we must blame individually each member of ISIS, or Al Qaeda, for his acts. Never tar the group collectively. After all, his screed calling for death to Americans is no different than an American's screed calling for death to brown invaders. Right?
Maybe.... first, clarify for me who "his" refers to. And who is calling for death to brown invaders?
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 10:26 AM   #154
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,744
Originally Posted by dann View Post
They are actually much more radical than that. In the case of terror committed by Muslim extremists, they prefer to blame all Muslims instead of ISIS or Al Qaeda.

As a bit of an aside, both Islamist extremists like ISIS and the alt.right fascists use similar recruiting techniques, targeting the similar demographic: young, emotionally-immature, and socially-isolated males; only the ethnicity and religious leaning (if any) differ.

I've posted a link to an interesting nutshell encapsulation of the process in the Stochastic Terrorism thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post12786984
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #155
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,771
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
so far..... dismissal based on bias towards your own side.
Antifa is really more of a tendril that sprang off punk rock a few decades back. The whole POINT of antifa was to provide an umbrella for punk rockers to kick in the teeth of neo-nazis. Sure, they've caused their share of boldly harm, mostly broken bones and bloody noses, but they've had piss-all to do with the mass killings of the last few years.

Law enforcement needs to focus on the people doing the killing. Your implied demand for some sort of bizarre "fair and balanced" allocation of law enforcement resources based on political ideology ideology is a guide for letting right-wing extremists commit even MORE atrocities.
__________________
Look what I found! There's this whole web site full of skeptics that spun off from the James Randy Education Foundation!
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 02:18 PM   #156
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,328
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
And Stalinism is perfectly representative of communism taken to its logical conclusion. But because Hitler lost and Stalin won, communism isn’t universally reviled like it should be.

Stalinism, not communism, is almost universally reviled. It's just you who haven't noticed. It's probably more reviled than National Socialism, which seems to be having a spectacular revival in the USA right now but using a different name, ethnonationalism:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 02:22 PM   #157
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,328
Originally Posted by dann View Post
I have already mentioned what white male privilege has to do with the American Dream.

More about the American Dream:

The Damage Report: AOC Shuts Down Ben Shapiro
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Quote:
Quote:
AOC: ”One of the most manipulative tactics plutocrats use is convincing people that the systemic issues we face are character flaws instead of policy flaws.
Working people aren’t dumb or inferior; nor are they why insulin costs $300 or huge co’s pay starvation wages.
Corruption is.”
One of the biggest myths that the right has been pushing since the beginning of America (…) is that if there’s anything wrong in your life, it’s just on you. Don’t look to the government. Certainly don’t look behind the curtain. Don’t look at who got those politicians into power. Don’t look at who’s writing the laws. Don’t look at who’s manipulating the system to get us into the situation that we are in right now. It’s all on you! Hate yourself, American working class, and leave us to become ever wealthier. That is the grift, and that is what Ben Shapiro is there for. His career was created out of whole cloth by millionaires and billionaires to advance their economic interests. That’s the only reason that he exists at all.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 02:26 PM   #158
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,328
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
As a bit of an aside, both Islamist extremists like ISIS and the alt.right fascists use similar recruiting techniques, targeting the similar demographic: young, emotionally-immature, and socially-isolated males; only the ethnicity and religious leaning (if any) differ.

So does the army ...
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 01:20 AM   #159
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,328
Armed and Lonely

Bill Maher makes several good points in this video (6 min.):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's unfortunate that many of the jokes are at the expense of the losers, but I guess it is almost impossible for the USA to get away from the idea that being a loser, somebody who has lost out in this society, is a condemnation of that person's moral integrity and entire being.
Bill Maher can't help but slip back into the notion that everybody hates a loser.
But still, most of the points he makes about the consensual ideology of the USA are very good:

Quote:
... America is an every-man-for-himself winner-take-all culture that chews up and spits out people who don't keep up. You can fly as high as you want here, but if you fall by the wayside, our response is, 'It sucks to be you, loser! Unfollow! If you want a friend, get a gun.'
42% of the people in America make $15 an hour or less. How much of a life can you really have on that much?
What is an American mass shooter really but a suicide bomber wearing Axe body spray?
The NRA should change its slogan to, 'Guns don't kill people. Seething loners who can't get laid kill people.'
Yes, we have too many guns, but America has an epidemic of gun violence because it has an epidemic of guys who were picked last in gym.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 17th August 2019 at 02:23 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 11:51 AM   #160
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,744
Oh, and in other news, the Republican Party has circulated a memo which, among other things, calls for de-emphasizing white supremacist terrorism, and pushing as much of the blame on the left as possible; including mis-identifying the El Paso shooter as a leftists, despite his white supremacist manifesto.

The complete text of the memo can be found at the end of the article.

Memo reveals a House Republican strategy on shootings: downplay white nationalism, blame left

Excerpt:
Quote:
Congressional Republicans recently circulated talking points on gun violence that falsely described the El Paso massacre and other mass shootings as “violence from the left.”

A document obtained by the Tampa Bay Times and sent by House Republicans provides a framework for how to respond to anticipated questions like, “Why won’t you pass legislation to close the ‘gun show loophole’ in federal law?” and “Why shouldn’t we ban high-capacity magazines?" The answers are boilerplate Republican arguments against tougher gun restrictions.

But it also included this question: “Do you believe white nationalism is driving more mass shootings recently?” The suggested response is to steer the conversation away from white nationalism to an argument that implies both sides are to blame.

“White nationalism and racism are pure evil and cannot be tolerated in any form," the document said. “We also can’t excuse violence from the left such as the El Paso shooter, the recent Colorado shooters, the Congressional baseball shooter, Congresswoman Giffords’ shooter and Antifa."
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.