ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th August 2019, 10:11 PM   #1
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Stabbings in Sydney

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...e-streets-live

Quote:
Dramatic footage shows the young man walking across a city street, waving a knife and jumping on to the bonnet of a car. The vehicle drives forward and he rolls off the back before walking away, chased by members of the public.

He screams: “Shoot me, ******* shoot me in the ******* head, shoot me, I want to ******* die.”

In separate footage members of the public and firefighters restrain him on the ground with cafe chairs and milk crates. He is clearly a young man, and has blood on his hands and shirt.
A lot of swearing on the video. No reported fatalities to date.

A few points

There are disturbed young white men in Australia, but their inability to easily get guns means massacres are unlikely.

Because of the above, citizens can effectively fight back. Great citizen’s arrest and effective use of a milk crate.

I actually feel more unsafe in the centre of Sydney than any European or Asian city I’ve visited because of the large number of threatening and disturbed people who seem to walk the streets there, many of them beggars. I don’t experience the same things in similarly sized Melbourne.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 10:12 PM   #2
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Latest news is that the man has been arrested. One woman was injured and is receiving treatment at St Vincent's Hospital.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...ation/11409194

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 10:24 PM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Drugged out of his brain.

Heard on the radio earlier he was seen tossing down pills before hand.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 10:39 PM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Latest news is that the man has been arrested. One woman was injured and is receiving treatment at St Vincent's Hospital.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...ation/11409194
It is an age old saying, but again it is shown to have import'

"Never trust a man who still wears those old style undies and hasn't changed to boxer shorts"
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:27 PM   #5
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

A woman's body has been found in a building in the CBD near where the man was arrested. The ABC says that a police source says that she has stab wounds, but they have not yet said whether it is related.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...abbed/11409194

arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:37 PM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
A woman's body has been found in a building in the CBD near where the man was arrested. The ABC says that a police source says that she has stab wounds, but they have not yet said whether it is related.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...abbed/11409194
Oh dear. Now a murder. Hope no other bodies are discovered.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:39 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Okay, an alert on my watch has told me that the link is now confirmed.

ETA: https://www.theguardian.com/australi...d-knife-attack

Old 13th August 2019, 01:57 AM   #8
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...e-streets-live

A lot of swearing on the video. No reported fatalities to date.

A few points

There are disturbed young white men in Australia, but their inability to easily get guns means massacres are unlikely.

Because of the above, citizens can effectively fight back. Great citizen’s arrest and effective use of a milk crate.

I actually feel more unsafe in the centre of Sydney than any European or Asian city I’ve visited because of the large number of threatening and disturbed people who seem to walk the streets there, many of them beggars. I don’t experience the same things in similarly sized Melbourne.
What a strange, strange post. ETA >> which is to say, there's something off-key in the segues between your "points".

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 13th August 2019 at 02:00 AM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:11 AM   #9
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
What a strange, strange post. ETA >> which is to say, there's something off-key in the segues between your "points".
Is English not your first language?

The points look simply stated to me. I’m not the only person to observe that without Australia’s gun laws, 20 or 30 may have been killed today.

Was it not a good citizen’s arrest?

Yes the third point was a personal anecdote, but when I last checked these are allowable.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 13th August 2019, 05:09 AM   #10
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
It is an age old saying, but again it is shown to have import'

"Never trust a man who still wears those old style undies and hasn't changed to boxer shorts"

Never trust a man who is preoccupied with the kind of underwear men wear.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 05:40 AM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

https://www.australianfrequentflyer....12-png.181943/

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 13th August 2019, 05:42 AM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Login page to your frequent flyer account
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:33 PM   #13
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Login page to your frequent flyer account
Opps.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 13th August 2019, 02:36 PM   #14
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Opps.
Is that the username or the password?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:47 PM   #15
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Weird loner who never spoke to anyone at school. The woman he killed was a sex worker he had met. Isolated young men get all kinds of crazy **** going through their heads.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 06:40 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The milk crate memes going around right now are a riot.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events