ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th August 2019, 06:28 PM   #121
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Why would you say this? This isn't witty at all.
It wasn't intended so. It was a simple observation of fact. Don't like it? That is your problem, and nobody else's.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 06:30 PM   #122
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
It wasn't intended so. It was a simple observation of fact. Don't like it? That is your problem, and nobody else's.
This is also really stupid.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 06:53 PM   #123
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

So now we have to guess what the hell Steve is talking about, when he himself doesn't even know.
No. You can guess all you want. Meanwhile others can guess how you can manage to reconcile superiority and condescension with your own scanty resources.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 08:00 PM   #124
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

The black duck will scream when night is brightest.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 09:20 PM   #125
Steve
Philosopher

You would not recognize witty if it bit you on the ass. Your idea of wit seems to be telling people they are hallucinating, calling them stupid, and posting bizarre emojis. Primitive insults do not win arguments and always have zero effect on me. I am truly sorry for you that my comments are so far above your head that you cannot comprehend them and have to resort to such insults. You just stick to your simple life of insults, your ignorance, and your love of criminals and fascists in power in your country. I do believe that your country is capable, given time, of returning to a reasonable democracy where freedom and equality are valued. People like yourself may even come to appreciate that value.
Old 6th August 2019, 12:56 PM   #126
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You would not recognize witty if it bit you on the ass. Your idea of wit seems to be telling people they are hallucinating, calling them stupid, and posting bizarre emojis. Primitive insults do not win arguments and always have zero effect on me. I am truly sorry for you that my comments are so far above your head that you cannot comprehend them and have to resort to such insults. You just stick to your simple life of insults, your ignorance, and your love of criminals and fascists in power in your country. I do believe that your country is capable, given time, of returning to a reasonable democracy where freedom and equality are valued. People like yourself may even come to appreciate that value.
Not likely, tbh.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 04:31 PM   #127
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You claim that a country a with 3/5th's law, Chinese Exclusion Act, Indian Removal Act "prided itself on equality." (lol) I can't take you seriously. This may sound harsh but I don't think you're knowledgeable enough to have a discussion with. You just want to say these stupid things and get a pat on your head from old white men.

Last edited by Baylor; 6th August 2019 at 04:44 PM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 07:32 PM   #128
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

You claim that a country a with 3/5th's law, Chinese Exclusion Act, Indian Removal Act "prided itself on equality." (lol) I can't take you seriously. This may sound harsh but I don't think you're knowledgeable enough to have a discussion with. You just want to say these stupid things and get a pat on your head from old white men.
Baylor, I think if you do a little research you might find that not everything is now the same as it was once and that some of the changes have been accompanied by what some of us hallucinators are wont to refer to as "documents."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 08:00 PM   #129
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Baylor, I think if you do a little research you might find that not everything is now the same as it was once and that some of the changes have been accompanied by what some of us hallucinators are wont to refer to as "documents."
Thay dont hav them there thangs in east idahoe. Sorcery!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 08:06 PM   #130
Baylor
Philosopher

Get back to me when those hallucinators can identify such "documents"
Old 6th August 2019, 09:19 PM   #131
Steve
Philosopher

Baylor prides himself on insults and the pretence of knowing things. He is similar to trump in so many ways I would not be surprised to find that hat they are related. His posts in this thread consist solely of “you are stupid”, you are hallucinating”, etc. He does not have the basic knowledge to provide the smallest bit of actual information. Then he tucks his tail between his legs and over his shoulder as he runs away yells “you are not worth talking to!”.

He may be right. I may not be worth talking to, but he is spending a lot of time “talking” to me anyway. What does that say about him? He may be responding to nought but his own hallucination. It may be stupid of him to think that I even exist outside of a basement in Spokane.

Hello Baylor (if you actually exist). You may notice that the above stupid post is not addressed to you. A response from you is neither wanted nor required. Bet you can’t resist anyway.
Old 7th August 2019, 03:06 AM   #132
catsmate
No longer the 1

Aw......
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 06:43 AM   #133
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Laws, such as civil rights bills, are sometimes thought by some to have a documentary component.

Old 7th August 2019, 04:19 PM   #134
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Is it? Why, exactly?

Are you capable of saying why and for what reason/s?

Or not?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 05:45 AM   #135
Arcade22
Philosopher

Doomsday has arrived. He was convicted of assault and given a suspended sentence and he has to pay the plaintiff 12500 kr in damages, or about 1303 usd.
Old 14th August 2019, 06:04 AM   #136
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Doomsday has arrived. He was convicted of assault and given a suspended sentence and he has to pay the plaintiff 12500 kr in damages, or about 1303 usd.
Right along the line of praxis.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 07:13 AM   #137
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

What happens if he refuses to pay? He's already out of the country, would Sweden bother to try and extradite him over such noncompliance?

I'm guessing such a conviction for assault would be grounds to refuse entry to the country again in the future. How does that work with the EU and open travel between member nations? Would he be refused entry to all EU nations, or just Sweden? How would Sweden enforce such a ban, since there is very relaxed border control between EU countries?
Old 14th August 2019, 08:00 AM   #138
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

The conservative Daily Caller is having a totally normal reaction to the news.

Quote:
If Sweden does decide to sentence Rocky, who left the country while awaiting the verdict after weeks of imprisonment, then President Trump only has one choice.

He needs to assign Rocky a military guard whenever he’s touring. Let the Swedes know we mean business and the days of kidnapping American citizens are over.

I’m not kidding. Put together a team of operators, and force the Swedes to try to use force to get him back if they want Rocky in prison so badly.

Force them to open fire on American forces. We would annihilate them in retaliation.
As far as I can tell, this was not intended as satire.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 09:19 AM   #139
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
What happens if he refuses to pay? He's already out of the country, would Sweden bother to try and extradite him over such noncompliance?
He was ordered to pay damages but not pay any fines, so it would be considered as any other kind of debt that he owes the plaintiff. Assuming the plaintiff seeks to collect their debt, and if he doesn't pay, the "Swedish Enforcement Agency" is allowed to forcibly seize property he owns in order to pay back his debt. They are the only legal organization that is allowed to forcibly collect debt in Sweden.

I'm also pretty sure he has to pay 500 kr to the "crime victims fund", which is something that everyone who has been convicted of a crime that could result in prison time has to pay, even if they were not sentenced to prison.

Quote:
I'm guessing such a conviction for assault would be grounds to refuse entry to the country again in the future.
He was not given an entry ban at the sentencing, so no. He can continue to visit Sweden to the same degree that he could before. Had he been sentenced to something like 1 year in prison it's quite likely he would've been given a entry-ban for some length of time (i.e. a couple of years or something).

Quote:
How does that work with the EU and open travel between member nations? Would he be refused entry to all EU nations, or just Sweden? How would Sweden enforce such a ban, since there is very relaxed border control between EU countries?
There is a common database shared by the Schengen countries where people from "third countries" can be recorded as not being allowed entry into the Schengen Area.

Last edited by Arcade22; 14th August 2019 at 09:20 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 09:24 AM   #140
catsmate
No longer the 1

I'm guessing such a conviction for assault would be grounds to refuse entry to the country again in the future. How does that work with the EU and open travel between member nations? Would he be refused entry to all EU nations, or just Sweden? How would Sweden enforce such a ban, since there is very relaxed border control between EU countries?
European Arrest Warrant
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 09:55 AM   #141
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

What happens if he refuses to pay?
Any assets he hold in Sweden are liable to be seized in order to make up the fine. He'll likely also receive a lot of mail from Swedish authorities. Nothing much else.

He's already out of the country, would Sweden bother to try and extradite him over such noncompliance?
No.

If it would go so far, he would be disallowed entry to Sweden only AFAIK. Non-EU citizens still need to produce a passport when crossing the border. I'm sure he could smuggle himself into the country if he desired to, but why?

Old 14th August 2019, 09:56 AM   #142
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I'm also pretty sure he has to pay 500 kr to the "crime victims fund", which is something that everyone who has been convicted of a crime that could result in prison time has to pay, even if they were not sentenced to prison.
800 kr.

Old 14th August 2019, 03:31 PM   #143
mgidm86
Philosopher

I read somewhere that this guy, who I had never heard of, is big in Sweden so maybe he stands to lose a lot of money if he can't go back.

On the other hand this dipstick* is now a household name so he'll probably cash in elsewhere. Why Trump chose to support this guy is a mystery to me.

* If you use a dollar sign in your name you just can't be a good person
Old 15th August 2019, 07:52 AM   #144
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
\

If it would go so far, he would be disallowed entry to Sweden only AFAIK. Non-EU citizens still need to produce a passport when crossing the border. I'm sure he could smuggle himself into the country if he desired to, but why?
How does this work, in practice?

When I was vacationing in the EU over the summer, I only had to have my passport checked when I flew from the US to Iceland, and when I flew from Iceland back to the US. No interaction when flying into Germany or taking a train into Austria. If I were banned from either country, how would they practically stop me?
Old 15th August 2019, 08:04 AM   #145
Arcade22
Philosopher

If it would go so far, he would be disallowed entry to Sweden only AFAIK.
I should note that this is incorrect. "Third country nationals" who have received an re-entry ban to Sweden because of a criminal conviction are added to the SIS, or Schengen Information SystemWP, which is a common database for all Schengen countries.

This means that they are supposed to be prevented from entering the entire Schengen Area, not just Sweden.

Last edited by Arcade22; 15th August 2019 at 08:05 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 09:34 AM   #146
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

If you are banned from entering one Schengen country, you are banned from entering all of them.

It has to work that way. There is no passport control between Norway and Sweden, for example, so all you would have to do to avoid your ban is land in Norway and take a short trip over to Sweden.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 09:19 AM   #147
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

How does this work, in practice?

When I was vacationing in the EU over the summer, I only had to have my passport checked when I flew from the US to Iceland, and when I flew from Iceland back to the US. No interaction when flying into Germany or taking a train into Austria. If I were banned from either country, how would they practically stop me?
Not sure. Probably by monitoring passenger manifests. You would be logged as entering a Shengen country, and that information is accessible to all.

Old 16th August 2019, 09:21 AM   #148
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I should note that this is incorrect. "Third country nationals" who have received an re-entry ban to Sweden because of a criminal conviction are added to the SIS, or Schengen Information SystemWP, which is a common database for all Schengen countries.

This means that they are supposed to be prevented from entering the entire Schengen Area, not just Sweden.
Probably correct. I don't know.

However, I do know that we can eject someone and then disallow entry from Sweden only by court order. It's sometimes part of sentencing. Don't think that applies to all Shengen countries, but only Sweden.

Old 16th August 2019, 03:06 PM   #149
EHocking
Philosopher

Not sure. Probably by monitoring passenger manifests. You would be logged as entering a Shengen country, and that information is accessible to all.
Has Sweden now dropped the internal border controls introduced in 2015?. These controls included car and train checks as well as at ports and airports. Other countries that introduced similar border controls were Germany, Austria, Norway and Denmark according to the linked article at a site “Shengen visa information”.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 16th August 2019 at 03:07 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 04:20 PM   #150
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Has Sweden now dropped the internal border controls introduced in 2015?. These controls included car and train checks as well as at ports and airports. Other countries that introduced similar border controls were Germany, Austria, Norway and Denmark according to the linked article at a site “Shengen visa information”.
As far as I am aware, extended border control is still in effect to some extent.

Old 21st August 2019, 06:51 AM   #151
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Political nonsense aside, I would have thought the fine involved so utterly trivial that it would be ridiculously stupid not simply to mail a couple of checks and be done with it. The fine is probably less than a night's mini bar bill.

Of course, if Trump remains involved, "ridiculously stupid" remains the default position. We need more dumb international incidents to distract us from disaster.

Old 21st August 2019, 09:04 AM   #152
autumn1971
Master Poster

Political nonsense aside, I would have thought the fine involved so utterly trivial that it would be ridiculously stupid not simply to mail a couple of checks and be done with it. The fine is probably less than a night's mini bar bill.

Of course, if Trump remains involved, "ridiculously stupid" remains the default position. We need more dumb international incidents to distract us from disaster.
Hey, if any of ya’ll can pay my transit to Europe, I’ll be that distraction!

And I will demolish that mini-bar
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events