ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun control issues , gun control laws , mass shootings , New Zealand incidents , New Zealand issues , shooting incidents

Reply
Old 15th July 2019, 02:34 PM   #81
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,612
Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Then the government won't get their guns. But their guns won't likely see the light of day ever again either, for fear of prosecution.

Seems the government wins either way, doesn't it.
I like this attitude. The American Gun Enthusiast like to paint a picture of NZ gun owners oiling their gardens, as if that is a loss for Big Gun Control.

Hell, I'd love it if American Gun Enthusiast had to keep their guns in such a safe storage situation.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 06:14 PM   #82
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,222
Meanwhile, here in the real world, those "New Zealanders refusing to turn over guns under the new law" have been turning them over...

"A steady stream of gun owners arrived at the Riccarton Racecourse in Christchurch on Saturday, the first of 258 buy-back events to be held around the country.

Canterbury's acting district commander Mike Johnson said gun owners had come out in force for what had been a "positive experience for them and our staff".

"We've had 169 people come through today, we've been handed over 224 firearms, 217 parts and $433,000 has been paid out."


https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/114...vent-under-way

That brings the total firearms returned and seized to 2364, with another 257 buyback events to go.
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th July 2019 at 06:17 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 12:26 AM   #83
Tolls
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,790
Just to have some gauge on this, what numbers are they expecting to get handed over?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 12:42 AM   #84
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 63,089
Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Just to have some gauge on this, what numbers are they expecting to get handed over?
From the article:

Quote:
Colfo estimated 250,000 to 300,000 banned firearms were in circulation...
__________________
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 01:34 AM   #85
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,222
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
From the article:

I think 300,000 is a gross over estimate

Only 6% of New Zealanders (about 300,000) hold a firearms licence. Of those, only 10% (about 30,000) actually own a firearm. A figure of 300,000 illegal firearms would mean that on average, those who actually own firearms would have on average 10 illegal firearm each.
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 01:38 AM   #86
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 63,089
Well... the estimate was from the Council of Licensed Firearm Owners. I don't know whether that's a gun club or a lobby group so I don't know how much to trust their estimate. But a number was provided in the article.
__________________
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 01:56 AM   #87
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,222
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Well... the estimate was from the Council of Licensed Firearm Owners. I don't know whether that's a gun club or a lobby group so I don't know how much to trust their estimate. But a number was provided in the article.
COLFO is a rough approximation of the NRA, except its powerless, toothless, it doesn't bribe politicians and it represents a very, very small proportion of gun owners. They claim a membership of "several thousand" but I'd be really surprised if it wasn't more like several hundred.

We do have something called the "National Rifle Association of New Zealand", but its nothing at all like the NRA in America. NRANZ is a collective of sports shooters (Fullbore, smallbore, Target, Skeet etc). NRANZ is to shooters what NZRugby is to Rugby players
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 02:23 AM   #88
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,696
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Meanwhile, here in the real world, those "New Zealanders refusing to turn over guns under the new law" have been turning them over...

"A steady stream of gun owners arrived at the Riccarton Racecourse in Christchurch on Saturday, the first of 258 buy-back events to be held around the country.

Canterbury's acting district commander Mike Johnson said gun owners had come out in force for what had been a "positive experience for them and our staff".

"We've had 169 people come through today, we've been handed over 224 firearms, 217 parts and $433,000 has been paid out."


https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/114...vent-under-way

That brings the total firearms returned and seized to 2364, with another 257 buyback events to go.
Yeah I noticed that at the weekend. The ridiculous fantasies of the gun-fondlers don't meet reality. Again.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 04:53 AM   #89
applecorped
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,621
224? wow, that's probably all of them, right?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 05:03 AM   #90
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 21,334
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
224? wow, that's probably all of them, right?
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
'The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.' - Richard Feynman
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 05:10 AM   #91
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,990
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I think 300,000 is a gross over estimate

Only 6% of New Zealanders (about 300,000) hold a firearms licence. Of those, only 10% (about 30,000) actually own a firearm. A figure of 300,000 illegal firearms would mean that on average, those who actually own firearms would have on average 10 illegal firearm each.
Think it is a severe under actually

Not that it matters as 99.9999% of people would ever wilfully shoot anyone.

You will get a lot handing them in and a lot just still hunting with and hiding them.

They will die out, guns will crap out, be handed in etc
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 16th July 2019 at 05:26 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 12:31 PM   #92
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,894
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
COLFO is a rough approximation of the NRA, except its powerless, toothless, it doesn't bribe politicians and it represents a very, very small proportion of gun owners. They claim a membership of "several thousand" but I'd be really surprised if it wasn't more like several hundred.
I'd be amazed if it were more than dozens, actually.

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
224? wow, that's probably all of them, right?
You may need to consult an atlas to see how big NZ actually is - it's not a small island and takes a couple of days to get from one end to the other.

I think the government thought it would be unfair to expect every gun owner to travel to one event, so they're holding a couple*, and the 224 guns was just at the first one.

* A "couple" in this instance being another 257.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 01:19 PM   #93
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47,170
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'd be amazed if it were more than dozens, actually.



You may need to consult an atlas to see how big NZ actually is - it's not a small island and takes a couple of days to get from one end to the other.
Your roads are that bad? As a state it would be the 9th largest in square miles right behind Colorado.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 01:53 PM   #94
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36,892
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Your roads are that bad? As a state it would be the 9th largest in square miles right behind Colorado.
Wiki says it's about 990 miles on its long axis. That's 16.5 hours of driving, at an average speed of 60 mph.

Definitely do-able in a single 24 hour stretch, but even with great roads (which I assume NZ has), I'd still want to take a couple days to do it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 02:15 PM   #95
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,894
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Your roads are that bad? As a state it would be the 9th largest in square miles right behind Colorado.
Long & skinny, though, with a gap in the middle requiring a ferry.

But yes, lots of the roads are that bad. Nominal speed limit is 100 kmh, but there are massive stretches where 100 kmh isn't achievable in a Ferrari.


Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Wiki says it's about 990 miles on its long axis. That's 16.5 hours of driving, at an average speed of 60 mph.

Definitely do-able in a single 24 hour stretch, but even with great roads (which I assume NZ has), I'd still want to take a couple days to do it.
Given 60 mph/100 kmh being the speed limit, averaging 60 isn't an option. Even ignoring the speed limit, it's almost impossible to average 100 kmh because the country is only flat in a couple of places, so straight roads are very rare and lots of the corners are sharp.

Don't be fooled thinking we have great roads, though. This is an example of a 100 kmh road in NZ:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Not all of them are that bad, and there are only a couple of bits of the main highway that are, but it's definitely representative of country roads. Short cuts aren't an option.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 02:23 PM   #96
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,222
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Wiki says it's about 990 miles on its long axis. That's 16.5 hours of driving, at an average speed of 60 mph.

Definitely do-able in a single 24 hour stretch, but even with great roads (which I assume NZ has), I'd still want to take a couple days to do it.
And why would you want to drive for from, say, Auckland to Christchurch, a 16H trip including a 3 hour, $250 (each way, so $500 total) trip on the inter-island ferry just to hand in a weapon, when there are some 50+ scheduled hand in events over the next 12 month in your area, some perhaps within walking distance?

As usual, our meditative testudinal diapsid posts bollocks through doing no thinking or research before posting.
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 02:31 PM   #97
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36,892
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And why would you want to drive for from, say, Auckland to Christchurch, a 16H trip including a 3 hour, $250 (each way, so $500 total) trip on the inter-island ferry just to hand in a weapon, when there are some 50+ scheduled hand in events over the next 12 month in your area, some perhaps within walking distance?

As usual, our meditative testudinal diapsid posts bollocks through doing no thinking or research before posting.
What are you talking about?

Ponderingturtle was simply making a crack about NZ's size and road quality. He didn't say anything about turning in weapons.

---

ETA: I'm also really disappointed by the way your post turned out. I got as far as

And why would you want to drive for from, say, Auckland to Christchurch, a 16H trip including a 3 hour, $250 (each way, so $500 total) trip on the inter-island ferry

And was all set to reply, "because road trips are awesome, and road trips with ferry rides doubly so!" But then your post went all shenanigans on me, and I feel cheated.

Last edited by theprestige; 16th July 2019 at 02:33 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 02:34 PM   #98
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,894
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
As usual, our meditative testudinal diapsid posts bollocks through doing no thinking or research before posting.
Clear swing and miss there - you need to re-read those few posts in order.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 02:46 PM   #99
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,222
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Think it is a severe under actually

Not that it matters as 99.9999% of people would ever wilfully shoot anyone.

You will get a lot handing them in and a lot just still hunting with and hiding them.

They will die out, guns will crap out, be handed in etc
Rubbish!

There are only about 1.5 million firearms TOTAL in NZ. 300,000 is one in five being illegal. In my quite large circle of friends and acquaintances, there are several who, like me, are firearms license holders,; some of us have more than one firearm (I have three). None of those people have firearms that meet the banned criteria. And I have asked them about it. Only one of them knows anyone who has, his brother-in-law has an ex NZ military FN-FAL 7.62mm, and he's already handed it in.

IMO, where the 300,000 figure is coming from is that the most common semi-automatic firearm in NZ is the Ruger 10/22; there are about 250,000 of those throughout the whole country used mostly by DOC staff and farmers for small pest control. They are what American's call "Varmint Rifles".

Initially, it was thought that these might be banned, but all that has happened is they will have restricted magazine capacities.

FYI: Here is a list of the firearms banned and being bought back

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f06llxb72x...-list.pdf?dl=1

You will see that there are several Rugers on the list, all of them are Handguns or MSSA rifles....

Handguns
40S&W
44MAG

MSSA Rifles
PC 9mm
Mini - 14/ Stainless
AR556
SR556
SR762

...and none are the Ruger 10/22.
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 16th July 2019 at 02:49 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 04:04 PM   #100
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,310
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
https://reason.com/2019/07/08/noncom...ontrol-scheme/








Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme
As of last week, only around 700 weapons had been turned over.



Once again, responding to a horrendous crime by inflicting knee-jerk, authoritarian restrictions on innocent people proves to be an ineffective means of convincing people to obey. Specifically, New Zealand's government—which also stepped up censorship and domestic surveillance after bloody attacks on two Christchurch mosques earlier this year—is running into stiff resistance to new gun rules from firearms owners who are slow to surrender now-prohibited weapons and will probably never turn them in.
Essentially it takes a mass shooting to allow common sense to prevail. Prior to this one the only mass shooting in modern times that was not family matters driven was Aramoana, here 13 were killed, 3 injured, plus the gunman killed.

Port Arthur in Tasmania, 35 dead, allowed Australia to act quickly. It is deemed virtually impossible that this mosque massacre could have happened in Australia, so New Zealand had an off the shelf template that became politically doable only because there were enough deaths.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 04:08 PM   #101
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,222
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What are you talking about?

Ponderingturtle was simply making a crack about NZ's size and road quality. He didn't say anything about turning in weapons.

---

ETA: I'm also really disappointed by the way your post turned out. I got as far as

And why would you want to drive for from, say, Auckland to Christchurch, a 16H trip including a 3 hour, $250 (each way, so $500 total) trip on the inter-island ferry

And was all set to reply, "because road trips are awesome, and road trips with ferry rides doubly so!" But then your post went all shenanigans on me, and I feel cheated.
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Clear swing and miss there - you need to re-read those few posts in order.

Nope:

Applecorped: 224? wow, that's probably all of them, right?

Atheist: You may need to consult an atlas to see how big NZ actually is - it's not a small island and takes a couple of days to get from one end to the other.

I think the government thought it would be unfair to expect every gun owner to travel to one event, so they're holding a couple*, and the 224 guns was just at the first one.

PonderingTurtle: Your roads are that bad?

(I read that as an inference the roads are so bad, that people cannot drive distance to hand in guns, and that's why only 224 were handed in)

This is not an unreasonable inference to draw, given these posters' body of work.

ETA: The forum provides, free of charge, a large range of smileys. If posters are kidding they should use them so that there is no misunderstanding, because plain text does not always convey intent of the poster. (NOTE: smiley omitted intentionally)
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 16th July 2019 at 04:37 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 06:28 PM   #102
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
https://reason.com/2019/07/08/noncom...ontrol-scheme/

Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme
As of last week, only around 700 weapons had been turned over.

Once again, responding to a horrendous crime by inflicting knee-jerk, authoritarian restrictions on innocent people proves to be an ineffective means of convincing people to obey. Specifically, New Zealand's government—which also stepped up censorship and domestic surveillance after bloody attacks on two Christchurch mosques earlier this year—is running into stiff resistance to new gun rules from firearms owners who are slow to surrender now-prohibited weapons and will probably never turn them in.
A gross exaggeration of the facts.

Even if weapons are not handed in, the owners who retain them will find it very difficult to use them. They will never be able to turn up to a rifle range with them, because the range operators will report them. The vast majority of firearm licence holders are good, law-abiding people who will turn in those weapons if they have any. I am 100% in support of the removal of these weapons from private hands, so I will report to Police anyone I know who has one. Those who are refusing are few and far between.

Also, they are also going to find it difficult to buy ammunition for their illegal guns, as that ammo is now illegal for import and sale. With very few exceptions, ammunition designed for the larger calibre bolt action rifles such as .308 will not work very well in a semi-auto. Autoloaders are generally set up for a specific load or a range of standard loadings of the cartridges they use. The different loadings in bolt action ammunition will mean that the first shot will probably fire but to fail to work the autoloader properly, leading to frequent jamming.

Now you can try firing a commercial .308 cartridge in your 7.62mm semi-auto if you like, but I would not recommend it on safety grounds.
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 12:20 AM   #103
Ranb
Philosopher
 
Ranb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WA USA
Posts: 9,837
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Also, they are also going to find it difficult to buy ammunition for their illegal guns, as that ammo is now illegal for import and sale.
What ammo does the governor have his (her) eye on then? All I could find is this.
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/...html#LMS181205
Quote:
Meaning of prohibited ammunition
In this Act, prohibited ammunition means any ammunition declared by the Governor-Governor by Order in Council to be prohibited ammunition.


Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
With very few exceptions, ammunition designed for the larger calibre bolt action rifles such as .308 will not work very well in a semi-auto.
What semi-autos are you referring to? I find that my AR-10 works very well with ammo loaded to .308Win and 7.62Nato specifications.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Autoloaders are generally set up for a specific load or a range of standard loadings of the cartridges they use.
In the USA, most commercially loaded ammo, for example, the .308 Win is loaded to a certain pressure that does not vary a lot even with different bullet weights and shapes. As far as I know all modern semi-auto rifles are built to operate normally with standard ammo that is loaded at or near the max pressure allowed by SAAMI.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The different loadings in bolt action ammunition will mean that the first shot will probably fire but to fail to work the autoloader properly, leading to frequent jamming.
Probably fire? If the ammo is not faulty, has the correct headspace and is the same head stamp as that of the chamber in the rifle, it will always fire. If the pressure is low (it will not be in the usual std load) then the action will operate normally and pick the next round up from the magazine. If it is too high then it may eventually over stress the action after several thousands of rounds.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Now you can try firing a commercial .308 cartridge in your 7.62mm semi-auto if you like, but I would not recommend it on safety grounds.
The max pressure for .308 is only 3% higher than that for the 7.62x51. Opinions online vary when it comes to shooting the .308 in the 7.62 chamber or the other way around. I've never heard of a problem associated with this in undamaged 30 caliber rifles.

As far as the 223/5.56, the issues are more pronounced and I never see anyone in the industry recommending that the 5.56 be fired in the 223 chamber, but once again, the only time I've heard of an AR-15 blowing up was with hand loaded ammo that used a case full of pistol powder instead of the proper rifle powder.

I noticed that the list of prohibited firearms is for the most part semi-auto rifles and pump action shotguns. No one in NZ is going to have a problem using ammo intended for a 5.56 or 7.62 military rifle in their bolt action .223 or .308 rifles. ETA; Unless it is banned.

Surely all .223 Remington and .308 Winchester will not be banned? Is there going to be restrictions on reloading equipment, ammo components and bullet molds?

Last edited by Ranb; 17th July 2019 at 01:25 AM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 11:03 AM   #104
This is The End
 
This is The End's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,774
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Seriously?

You claim to be knowledgable about America's history and yet you don't know about the French involvement in the Revolutionary War?

You don't know that the French secretly shipped supplies, materiel, arms and ammunition to the Continental Army?

You've never heard of the 1778 Treaty of Alliance?

The assistance of France is openly acknowledged by historians as a major, vital, and decisive contribution to the US victory against the British. Without the French, Howe, Gage, Cornwallis et al would very likely have handed your forebears their collective arses on a silver platter, and the 56 delegates to the Second Continental Congress (FYI, that the guys who signed your Declaration of Independence), they would in all likelihood have been executed for Treason!

What complete and utter bollocks. No sane history book in any country would say such nonsense. And if yours does I would seriously question anything else that is included in it.

That would be like saying the assistance of Mexico is openly acknowledged by historians as a major, vital, and decisive contribution to the Allies victory against the Axis in WW2.

In fact, Mexico likely contributed more men and supplies to the Allies in WW2 than the French did to the colonies in the RW.

Your supposed "knowledge" about American history is clearly built on jingoistic lies and jealousy.
__________________
________________________
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 11:05 AM   #105
This is The End
 
This is The End's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,774
Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Funny the kind of things some wankers will glioat about.

And that was when the irony meter exploded.
__________________
________________________
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 11:12 AM   #106
This is The End
 
This is The End's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,774
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
They will definitely have to go to war to get our guns in the U.S.
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Utter rubbish. Try visiting the Real World sometime.
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
I live in the real world. How is the government going to get their guns when they don't give them up voluntarily? Say pretty please?
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
1. Revoke their firearms licences

Hey look, more proof that all of your information about the US is based on propaganda. Only two out of the 50 states in the US has "firearms licences". (Three if you count New York, but theirs is only for handguns.)

You literally used a completely baseless assumption as your Number One idea in response to BrooklynBaby's question on how exactly guns would be taken away from Americans. Spectacular.
__________________
________________________

Last edited by This is The End; 17th July 2019 at 11:17 AM.
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 11:16 AM   #107
Giz
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,485
Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
What complete and utter bollocks. No sane history book in any country would say such nonsense. And if yours does I would seriously question anything else that is included in it.

That would be like saying the assistance of Mexico is openly acknowledged by historians as a major, vital, and decisive contribution to the Allies victory against the Axis in WW2.

In fact, Mexico likely contributed more men and supplies to the Allies in WW2 than the French did to the colonies in the RW.

Your supposed "knowledge" about American history is clearly built on jingoistic lies and jealousy.
I dunno about that, to quote:

"over a billion livres tournois were spent by the French government to support the war effort, raising its overall debt to about 3.315 billion. "

So France helped enough to increase its national debt by 50%! (Which then led to the economic turmoil and political unrest that caused the French revolution).
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 11:20 AM   #108
This is The End
 
This is The End's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,774
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
"over a billion livres tournois were spent by the French government to support the war effort, raising its overall debt to about 3.315 billion. "

Yes and some 300,000 Mexican citizens went to the United States to work on farms and factories. And another 15,000 went to Europe to fight. Without that help, the Allies surely would have lost WW2!

Also, your figure includes money spent on goods purchased from the colonies.
__________________
________________________
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 11:24 AM   #109
This is The End
 
This is The End's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,774
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And why would you want to drive for from, say, Auckland to Christchurch, a 16H trip including a 3 hour, $250 (each way, so $500 total) trip on the inter-island ferry just to hand in a weapon, when there are some 50+ scheduled hand in events over the next 12 month in your area, some perhaps within walking distance?

Gotta love this post. Responding with completely irrelevant information to the discussion it quotes. It shows a very clear lack of reading comprehension.
__________________
________________________
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 11:26 AM   #110
This is The End
 
This is The End's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,774
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
In my quite large circle of friends and acquaintances

That's a good place to get information!
__________________
________________________
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 02:08 PM   #111
epeeist
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 476
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Offer them money. If that fails, there are a number of other ways

1. Revoke their firearms licences
2. Prosecute them for possession of illegal weapons
3. Have a judge issue a warrant for seizure.

I can understand why you, being American, simply cannot conceive of the idea of a country that has no legally enshrined gun rights, no gun rights lobbyists bribing politicians for favourable laws, no gun-totin' wannabes running around in the backwoods playing pretend soldiers, no whinging red-necks crying "bbbbut muh guns"
  • Our Constitution contains nothing like your 2nd amendment.
  • Our Bill of Rights does not include the right to own guns.
  • Ownership of guns in this country is a privilege, one that can be revoked at any time
  • The use of firearms for self-defence is expressly forbidden
  • There is no such thing as a "carry permit" for regular citizens

In all three cases I have listed above, those illegally held weapons will be seized without a shot being fired. I seriously doubt anyone will get themselves into an armed stand-off with Police.

In this country, once the illegal guns are all seized, every New Zealander knows the sun will still come up in the morning, the sky will not fall, and that life will go on. The issue of gun ownership is not considered to be one worth dying for.
In order, offer them more money? Great! That's what has been argued, that, among other reasons for non-compliance, is that compensation is unfairly low. I mean, if one wants to argue that one should comply regardless of compensation, why bother offering any compensation at all?

#1/2/3, others in this thread have said that, except for certain E license holders, there's no way of knowing whether anyone owns firearms. So, unless as you noted people are turning informer, what to do, how would one find e.g. something buried in a yard - or, less culpably, forgotten in a basement?

To me, wanting gun control means also thinking about practical concerns, that is, how to be effective. New Zealand government, so far, seems to have failed to consider practicality and enforceability. And, re compensation, fairness.
epeeist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 02:31 PM   #112
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)
 
Tsukasa Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NeverLand
Posts: 15,064
Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
What complete and utter bollocks. No sane history book in any country would say such nonsense. And if yours does I would seriously question anything else that is included in it.

That would be like saying the assistance of Mexico is openly acknowledged by historians as a major, vital, and decisive contribution to the Allies victory against the Axis in WW2.

In fact, Mexico likely contributed more men and supplies to the Allies in WW2 than the French did to the colonies in the RW.

Your supposed "knowledge" about American history is clearly built on jingoistic lies and jealousy.
American here. I was taught that "nonsense" in AP US History in 2005/2006.
__________________
As cultural anthropologists have always said "human culture" = "human nature". You might as well put a fish on the moon to test how it "swims naturally" without the "influence of water". -Earthborn
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 03:04 PM   #113
Joe Random
Master Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,021
Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
American here. I was taught that "nonsense" in AP US History in 2005/2006.

Sadly, the first thing which sprang to my mind was

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


(see 1:55 in)

But yes, this Yank was taught that in school as well back in 19<mumble>.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 06:29 PM   #114
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger
 
AJM8125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,693
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I like this attitude. The American Gun Enthusiast like to paint a picture of NZ gun owners oiling their gardens, as if that is a loss for Big Gun Control.

Hell, I'd love it if American Gun Enthusiast had to keep their guns in such a safe storage situation.
Ask the average gun hoarder (any nationality) why they do that and the answer is usually to be prepared for some undetermined ****-hit-the-fan scenario.

Of course they don't realize that because they can't take proper target practice or tactical training because their weapons of choice are stuffed in a crawlspace , they're far more likely to be mowed down by LE or military professionals if they show up armed in any such scenario.
__________________


The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 07:46 PM   #115
Ranb
Philosopher
 
Ranb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WA USA
Posts: 9,837
Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Ask the average gun hoarder (any nationality) why they do that and the answer is usually to be prepared for some undetermined ****-hit-the-fan scenario.
How much does civil order need to collapse before the police are no longer able to intervene in certain situations? Take a look at Katrina and other disasters; the police were stretched rather thin. During the riots after the King verdict the same thing happened. Residents of Koreatown used guns to defend their community; for the most part they were not successful.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 07:58 PM   #116
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,880
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
How much does civil order need to collapse before the police are no longer able to intervene in certain situations? Take a look at Katrina and other disasters; the police were stretched rather thin. During the riots after the King verdict the same thing happened. Residents of Koreatown used guns to defend their community; for the most part they were not successful.
Why is it in the USA that civil order collapses under such small strains so easily? Other countries have natural disasters, often much worse. And they don't suddenly arm themselves to cope. You can't eat guns or sleep under them out of the rain.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 08:07 PM   #117
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,549
Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
What complete and utter bollocks. No sane history book in any country would say such nonsense. And if yours does I would seriously question anything else that is included in it.

That would be like saying the assistance of Mexico is openly acknowledged by historians as a major, vital, and decisive contribution to the Allies victory against the Axis in WW2.

In fact, Mexico likely contributed more men and supplies to the Allies in WW2 than the French did to the colonies in the RW.

Your supposed "knowledge" about American history is clearly built on jingoistic lies and jealousy.
Hmmm....

Quote:
De Grasse received these letters in July at roughly the same time Cornwallis was preparing to occupy Yorktown, Virginia. De Grasse concurred with Rochambeau and subsequently sent a dispatch indicating that he would reach the Chesapeake at the end of August but that agreements with the Spanish meant he could only stay until mid-October. The arrival of his dispatches prompted the Franco-American army to begin a march for Virginia. De Grasse reached the Chesapeake as planned and his troops were sent to assist Lafayette's army in the blockade of Cornwallis's army. A British fleet sent to confront de Grasse's control of the Chesapeake was defeated by the French on September 5 at the Battle of the Chesapeake and the Newport fleet delivered the French siege train to complete the allied military arrival. The Siege of Yorktown and following surrender by Cornwallis on October 19 were decisive in ending major hostilities in North America.
Highlighted bit from Henry Lumpkin (2000). From Savannah to Yorktown: The American Revolution in the South. iUniverse. p. 235.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 08:09 PM   #118
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,549
Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
Hey look, more proof that all of your information about the US is based on propaganda. Only two out of the 50 states in the US has "firearms licences". (Three if you count New York, but theirs is only for handguns.)

You literally used a completely baseless assumption as your Number One idea in response to BrooklynBaby's question on how exactly guns would be taken away from Americans. Spectacular.
You realise that it is very clear from the context of the entire post, that Smartcocky was talking about New Zealand Gunholders, not USA ones? Right? Cause I am sure you read the entire post, right?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 08:16 PM   #119
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,549
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Rubbish!

There are only about 1.5 million firearms TOTAL in NZ. 300,000 is one in five being illegal. In my quite large circle of friends and acquaintances, there are several who, like me, are firearms license holders,; some of us have more than one firearm (I have three). None of those people have firearms that meet the banned criteria. And I have asked them about it. Only one of them knows anyone who has, his brother-in-law has an ex NZ military FN-FAL 7.62mm, and he's already handed it in.

IMO, where the 300,000 figure is coming from is that the most common semi-automatic firearm in NZ is the Ruger 10/22; there are about 250,000 of those throughout the whole country used mostly by DOC staff and farmers for small pest control. They are what American's call "Varmint Rifles".

Initially, it was thought that these might be banned, but all that has happened is they will have restricted magazine capacities.

FYI: Here is a list of the firearms banned and being bought back

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f06llxb72x...-list.pdf?dl=1

You will see that there are several Rugers on the list, all of them are Handguns or MSSA rifles....

Handguns
40S&W
44MAG

MSSA Rifles
PC 9mm
Mini - 14/ Stainless
AR556
SR556
SR762

...and none are the Ruger 10/22.
I'd be highly surprised if there were even 100,000 of the now banned weapons in the county to be honest, and if your figures are close, then it could easily be half that, at which point getting 224, or there about, at all 254 remaining hand ins would put us about 55,000, which is easily in the ball park of all of them.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2019, 08:44 PM   #120
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,894
[quote=PhantomWolf;12758008... 224, or there about,...[/QUOTE]

I see that number's been upgraded to 543 over two days, so a pretty solid start.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/114...ed-gun-buyback
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.