ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th July 2019, 09:35 AM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Harvard Law Professor's Modern Family Implodes

You may have some trouble believing this incredibly insane story. In a nutshell, Harvard law prof meets lesbian in hardware store, gets picked up, has intercourse with her but doesn't ejaculate (medical issues) hears from the gal a few months later that she's pregnant. Oh, and she's living with a trans woman and they are already raising two kids together.

Now, the Harvard law prof is already living in a modestly unconventional relationship with his ex-wife, with whom he had one child while they were initially married, and two later children after their divorce. But hey, they aren't technically married and she probably won't mind if he fools around a little bit, and who knows--maybe they could all end up sharing his $3.5 million home in Cambridge. He would hit the diversity lottery, living with a hetero woman, a lesbian woman and a trans woman.

Or, you know, the trans woman and her lesbian partner could end up nearly stealing that home from him and his ex. It's a fascinating story. Just to add a little schadenfreude, the law prof (although ultra-liberal) had clerked for Antonin Scalia years ealier (apparently Scalia liked having a Devil's Advocate on his staff). But when Scalia died, the law prof wrote an article for Slate, talking about all the people his former boss had kept down:

Quote:
I am close to one of the victims of his operation, a transgender woman named Mischa Haider, whom I got to know during the course of her work on a Ph.D. in physics at Harvard. She’s an extraordinary polymath — gifted violinist, writer and novelist; fluent speaker of a half-dozen languages; math genius. And physicist. Her intellect would have made our brilliant Justice want to hide his head in a bag, to borrow his charming words from last year’s marriage equality ruling. Those who have any doubt about trans mothers should meet Mischa’s children.
As you can probably guess, the prof wasn't aware yet that he was actually one of the victims of Mischa's con operation.

There are some things so stupid only a Harvard law professor could believe them.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 09:44 AM   #2
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

At the risk of sounding like some pathetic MRA or incel scum, I'll just go ahead and make the following generalization:

Unless you are insanely handsome or otherwise irresistibly unattractive, a man receiving a strong come-on from a strange woman should be on high guard for manipulation. It's very unusual for an ordinary man to receive such direct sexual attention from an unknown woman without an ulterior motive.

The article suggests that the man here may have some degree of autism, which might explain things. A young lady coming on so strong to just some ordinary looking middle-aged man at a hardware store is a red flag that should not be ignored.
Old 24th July 2019, 09:52 AM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Right away he told her a lie.

Quote:
Sorry, I’m married,” he responded impulsively.
Old 24th July 2019, 09:55 AM   #4
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
At the risk of sounding like some pathetic MRA or incel scum, I'll just go ahead and make the following generalization:

Unless you are insanely handsome or otherwise irresistibly unattractive, a man receiving a strong come-on from a strange woman should be on high guard for manipulation. It's very unusual for an ordinary man to receive such direct sexual attention from an unknown woman without an ulterior motive.

The article suggests that the man here may have some degree of autism, which might explain things. A young lady coming on so strong to just some ordinary looking middle-aged man at a hardware store is a red flag that should not be ignored.
The example that comes to mind is Badger:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger_game

In its simplest form, a badger game proceeds thus: X, a man married to Y, engages in an extramarital affair with W (another woman). During a tryst, Z (another man) discovers them in the act. Z, posing as W's husband or brother, demands money from X to keep the affair secret. Unknown to X, W and Z are conspiring together against X.

The woman may also claim that the sexual encounter was non-consensual and threaten the victim with a rape or sexual harassment charge.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 10:01 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Right away he told her a lie.
It's not revealed until later, but she also lied from the beginning.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 10:10 AM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I only read a couple paragraphs. I'm not sure that I understand this lesbian. She doesn't seem legit.

She has intercourse with the professor who has a dick. Her steady partner is a trans who has a dick and looks just like a guy with longish hair.

What kind of a lesbian is this lesbian? Does she actually have zero interest in pussy?
Old 24th July 2019, 10:14 AM   #7
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I only read a couple paragraphs. I'm not sure that I understand this lesbian. She doesn't seem legit.

She has intercourse with the professor who has a dick. Her steady partner is a trans who has a dick and looks just like a guy with longish hair.

What kind of a lesbian is this lesbian? Does she actually have zero interest in pussy?
Her entire existence is sketchy. It's pretty clear she's a repeat con artist and scammer. There's no reason to take anything she says at face value.

The article claims that she had repeatedly used the line "I'm a lesbian, but your magical dick was so special I made an exception because I just had to be with you" as part of her manipulation and as a dodge for demanding a paternity test. She has several children, none of them by her intended marks, so it would seem she is having sex with someone who has a penis and isn't a scam target.

So much of this person's identity seems fabricated in order to help perpetrate scams, it seems pointless to try to parse out what parts are true or not.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 24th July 2019 at 10:19 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 10:30 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Unprotected sex.

Even if everything goes perfectly. Even neither participant in the affair has anything to hide. Even if both are participating in good faith. Even if there's no question of jealousy, or financial exploitation, or any other damn thing. An unexpected pregnancy will put an end to a good thing. Why risk it?

Unless it's agreed in advance that pregnancy is an acceptable outcome (either because an unexpected child would be welcomed, or because neither party has any qualms about abortions of convenience), casual sex should always be protected.

And each partner should take responsibility for their own reproductive functions. A man should always wear a condom (if he hasn't already had a vasectomy). "Don't worry, I'm on the pill," or "no need, I got my tubes tied" should never be enough for the man to forgo his own verifiable protection.

And of course every man should run very far away from a prospective partner who insists otherwise.

---

Everybody in this story is a con artist. The professor got conned by others, but he was conning himself the whole time too.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 10:33 AM   #9
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Unprotected sex.

Even if everything goes perfectly. Even neither participant in the affair has anything to hide. Even if both are participating in good faith. Even if there's no question of jealousy, or financial exploitation, or any other damn thing. An unexpected pregnancy will put an end to a good thing. Why risk it?

Unless it's agreed in advance that pregnancy is an acceptable outcome (either because an unexpected child would be welcomed, or because neither party has any qualms about abortions of convenience), casual sex should always be protected.

And each partner should take responsibility for their own reproductive functions. A man should always wear a condom (if he hasn't already had a vasectomy). "Don't worry, I'm on the pill," or "no need, I got my tubes tied" should never be enough for the man to forgo his own verifiable protection.

And of course every man should run very far away from a prospective partner who insists otherwise.

---

Everybody in this story is a con artist. The professor got conned by others, but he was conning himself the whole time too.
Agreed, but men should always use condoms in such encounters because pregnancy is not the only risk.
Old 24th July 2019, 10:36 AM   #10
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Unprotected sex.
...is not terribly relevant. One of their other victims used a condom, and they still went after him with a fraudulent paternity claim.

Quote:
How much did he get?
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 10:53 AM   #11
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You can't cheat an honest man.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 10:56 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
...is not terribly relevant. One of their other victims used a condom, and they still went after him with a fraudulent paternity claim.
It's extremely relevant. The question is risk mitigation, not risk avoidance.

Risk avoidance would be simply keeping it in your pants.

Also, I was saying it's a good practice even in the best-case scenario. This affair had too many red flags going in, to be a best case scenario. Enough red flags that he should've just kept his dick out of crazy altogether. That he put his dick in crazy without even the basic precaution of a condom marks him as a wilful jackass.

Quote:
How much did he get?
A lot of exciting companionship and ego-stroking, apparently.

---

Please don't turn this into some retarded appeal-to-dictionary wilful misunderstanding about what I mean by "con" in this context.
Old 24th July 2019, 11:04 AM   #13
mumblethrax
Species traitor

It's extremely relevant. The question is risk mitigation, not risk avoidance.
Using a condom doesn't mitigate the risk of being conned. No con artist is going to say, "Darn, he used a condom. I guess we'll move on to the next victim." They'll just say the condom broke.

I'm not saying it's not good advice in general, just that's it's irrelevant here.

Quote:
Ah, the ol' Cincinnati hanging-out-with-people-and-enjoying-their-company. A classic con.

Quote:
Please don't turn this into some retarded appeal-to-dictionary wilful misunderstanding about what I mean by "con" in this context.
You're just wrong to call him a con artist, even in a highly metaphorical sense. Nothing he did warrants the accusation.

Last edited by mumblethrax; 24th July 2019 at 11:09 AM.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 11:09 AM   #14
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Risk avoidance would be simply keeping it in your pants.
Never stick your dick in crazy.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 11:10 AM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Using a condom doesn't mitigate the risk of being conned. No con artist is going to say, "Darn, he used a condom. I guess we'll move on to the next victim." They'll just say the condom broke.

I'm not saying it's not good advice in general, just that's it's irrelevant here.
I disagree. While it wouldn't have stopped them from making a paternity claim anyway, it would still have been relevant.

If nothing else, it would have told a clearheaded man that there was yet another red flag on the whole thing, and prompted him to take additional precautions against a possible scam.

Quote:
You're just wrong to call him a con artist, even in a highly metaphorical sense. Nothing he did warrants the accusation.
I disagree. The way the story is reported, he did a lot of lying to himself and to others, in order to perpetuate the exploitation for what he was getting out of it. I don't even think it's that metaphorical.

Often times, a successful con depends on the mark also deceiving themselves. This is the dynamic that I'm referring to, when I say he's also a con artist in this story.
Old 24th July 2019, 11:19 AM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Sage advice.

---

On the other hand, for some people, "the action is the juice". If crazy is what gets you going, then take the risk and enjoy the reward. Like skydiving, or MMA, or bullfighting, or bar fighting, or whatever it is that floats your boat.

Take the risk, but take precautions. If you're okay with the crazy, but don't want it to spiral into paternity hoaxes and blackmail, then you know what to do. There's precautions you can take, to enjoy the risks you signed up for, while mitigating all the other risks you'd still prefer to avoid.

This guy didn't take any of those precautions, and in fact seems to have consistently deluded himself about the nature of the risks he was taking.

---

I would say there's at least two situations where you're probably better off not sticking your dick in crazy, even if that's otherwise your thing.

One is when you're young, and still building up the experience, maturity, and financial stability that you intend to carry you successfully through life. Getting involved with someone crazy, when you lack the grounding and resources to keep your life sane when that relationship goes off the rails, is probably a bad move.

Another is when you have a reputation and responsibilities that can be irreparably harmed by the crazy. In this case, the guy is trying to raise two kids with his ex-wife, he's teaching at Harvard, etc. Having kids of his own to raise should by itself be enough to counsel keeping it in his pants for a few years, at least until that responsibility is discharged.
Old 24th July 2019, 11:22 AM   #17
mumblethrax
Species traitor

While it wouldn't have stopped them from making a paternity claim anyway, it would still have been relevant.
He already had the pretty big red flag of not ejaculating, which he ignored. Red flags don't do you any good if you aren't looking for them.

Quote:
I disagree. The way the story is reported, he did a lot of lying to himself and to others, in order to perpetuate the exploitation for what he was getting out of it. I don't even think it's that metaphorical.
That's just not true. He could not possibly do anything in order to perpetuate the exploitation that he wasn't even aware of.

Quote:
Often times, a successful con depends on the mark also deceiving themselves. This is the dynamic that I'm referring to, when I say he's also a con artist in this story.
Saying that he was gullible or that he was deceiving himself would be fair. But that's just not what it means to be a con artist. That's not some picayunish appeal to the dictionary--it's basic pragmatic competence. You're seriously abusing the concept in order to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Old 24th July 2019, 11:56 AM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

He already had the pretty big red flag of not ejaculating, which he ignored. Red flags don't do you any good if you aren't looking for them.
The point of a red flag is that it's something you notice whether you're looking for it or not. My position is that the red flags would have been visible to him, and that he chose to ignore them. He chose to see what he was looking for, rather than to see what he was actually looking at.

Quote:
That's just not true. He could not possibly do anything in order to perpetuate the exploitation that he wasn't even aware of.
My position is that he was definitely aware of the exploitation, and chose to go along with it, because of what he thought he was getting out of it.

Quote:
Saying that he was gullible or that he was deceiving himself would be fair. But that's just not what it means to be a con artist. That's not some picayunish appeal to the dictionary--it's basic pragmatic competence. You're seriously abusing the concept in order to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Certainly seems like an appeal to dictionary to me. But suit yourself. The story is too deliciously weird to spend a lot of time arguing with you about how this guy was complicit in his own exploitation.
Old 24th July 2019, 12:10 PM   #19
mumblethrax
Species traitor

The point of a red flag is that it's something you notice whether you're looking for it or not. My position is that the red flags would have been visible to him, and that he chose to ignore them.
Which makes "unprotected sex" an irrelevant comment.

Quote:
My position is that he was definitely aware of the exploitation, and chose to go along with it, because of what he thought he was getting out of it.
Uh huh. So you think he knew that when they gave him documents to sign for an ostensible move, he was really signing a rental agreement, and he went along with it, knowing that it would make him and his family homeless.

Seems plausible.

Quote:
Certainly seems like an appeal to dictionary to me. But suit yourself. The story is too deliciously weird to spend a lot of time arguing with you about how this guy was complicit in his own exploitation.
Most people don't have to be told how being conned is different from being gullible or engaging in self-deception or wishful thinking, but if a dictionary will help, by all means--avail yourself.
Old 24th July 2019, 12:31 PM   #20
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Having kids of his own to raise should by itself be enough to counsel keeping it in his pants for a few years, at least until that responsibility is discharged.
He couldn't resist "discharging" his "responsibility".
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 12:32 PM   #21
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You're seriously abusing the concept in order to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Abusing pegs in holes. Are you guys trying to do this to me?
Old 24th July 2019, 12:37 PM   #22
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Especially when that woman tells you she's a lesbian.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 12:56 PM   #23
Arcade22
Philosopher

If anything this is probably why he was a victim: he was far too trusting and lacking in assertiveness.
Old 24th July 2019, 01:41 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Like the Badger game is something new.It's one of the oldest cons in the book.
it's basically a con that depends on blackmail for the payoff.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 02:19 PM   #25
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I'll bet you his ego wasn't that only thing that was stroked!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 02:34 PM   #26
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'll bet you his ego wasn't that only thing that was stroked!
Damn it, how did I miss that one?
Old 24th July 2019, 02:52 PM   #27
plague311
Great minds think...

Damn it, how did I miss that one?
Dunno, the guy in the OP certainly didn't.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 07:06 PM   #28
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I like this paragraph:
Quote:
Zacks pushed Hay to ask for a paternity test, but Hay wouldn’t have it. Not only did he trust Shuman, he felt it would have been insulting for a heterosexual cisgender man to question a professed lesbian as to whether she’d had sex with other men. He believed her when she said her sexual relationship with him was an exception.
Old 24th July 2019, 07:31 PM   #29
Cain
Straussian

He should get paternity tests for his ex-wife's children.
Old 24th July 2019, 07:41 PM   #30
applecorped
Suspended

Sage advice.

---

On the other hand, for some people, "the action is the juice". If crazy is what gets you going, then take the risk and enjoy the reward. Like skydiving, or MMA, or bullfighting, or bar fighting, or whatever it is that floats your boat.

Take the risk, but take precautions. If you're okay with the crazy, but don't want it to spiral into paternity hoaxes and blackmail, then you know what to do. There's precautions you can take, to enjoy the risks you signed up for, while mitigating all the other risks you'd still prefer to avoid.

This guy didn't take any of those precautions, and in fact seems to have consistently deluded himself about the nature of the risks he was taking.

---

I would say there's at least two situations where you're probably better off not sticking your dick in crazy, even if that's otherwise your thing.

One is when you're young, and still building up the experience, maturity, and financial stability that you intend to carry you successfully through life. Getting involved with someone crazy, when you lack the grounding and resources to keep your life sane when that relationship goes off the rails, is probably a bad move.

Another is when you have a reputation and responsibilities that can be irreparably harmed by the crazy. In this case, the guy is trying to raise two kids with his ex-wife, he's teaching at Harvard, etc. Having kids of his own to raise should by itself be enough to counsel keeping it in his pants for a few years, at least until that responsibility is discharged.
The discharge is the problem here
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 02:01 AM   #31
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Is the shadenfreude the OP feels due to this being an example of a dirty lib getting his comuppance because he trusted a gay and a trans?

Because that would be pretty ******* homophobic.

Seems to me this story has little to nothing to do with the sexual orientation of any of the players.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 25th July 2019 at 02:02 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 04:20 AM   #32
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Is the shadenfreude the OP feels due to this being an example of a dirty lib getting his comuppance because he trusted a gay and a trans?

Seems to me this story has little to nothing to do with the sexual orientation of any of the players.
I think the schadenfreude is more that a guy who is among one of the top minds in this country (former SCOTUS clerk, Harvard prof) made a series of very obvious and idiotic errors. Street smarts vs book smarts, common sense vs ivy league dummies, etc.

This story has so many elements - elites getting pwned, SJW word salad, LGBT relationships, title IX abuse, unconventional family life, paternity fraud, and so on. People see what they want to see in this mosaic of misery.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 25th July 2019 at 04:34 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 04:36 AM   #33
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Tha's always been sound advice. But even not doing so might not be enough.

The ONLY woman who ever caused me real trouble was one who's advances I declined (she c. forty, I c. twenty years old). She called the cops and accused me of trying to rape her - I was that close to spending the night in a cell.

In fairness, another woman (both were neighours and acquaintences), a magistrate no less, had explicitly warned me that this harridan was a "dangerous woman" (what she knew I never found out), and to be cautious in any dealings with her. Cautious, it turns out, would have been not accepting the invitation to "come in for a drink".
Old 25th July 2019, 08:35 AM   #34
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle
Edited by jsfisher:  Moderated content redacted
Harvard prof sticks dick in crazy pie. Thread Trumped inside the 1st page.

Bluesjnrs Law - any subject about a US domicile will be denigrated by naming Trump.

Last edited by jsfisher; 2nd August 2019 at 02:22 PM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 08:38 AM   #35
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post

Bluesjnrs Second Law - any subject that features a minority will be turned against the opening poster in order to vilify them as a bigot.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 08:43 AM   #36
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Is this the right wing version of a "Christian minister gets caught cheating on his wife" thread?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 10:07 AM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Is this the right wing version of a "Christian minister gets caught cheating on his wife" thread?
I'd like to think this is the sane and sensible society version of "nothing about this story seems sane or sensible." But the weirdly political reactions of some give me reason to believe that this isn't actually a sane and sensible society thread at all.
Old 25th July 2019, 10:09 AM   #38
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I'd like to think this is the sane and sensible society version of "nothing about this story seems sane or sensible." But the weirdly political reactions of some give me reason to believe that this isn't actually a sane and sensible society thread at all.
It's a damn shame.

The reporter on this story did an outstanding job of chronicling this absolute quagmire of bizarre schemes and personal misery. Why can't people just enjoy things without trying to turn them into some sort of political cudgel?
Old 25th July 2019, 10:25 AM   #39
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It's a damn shame.

The reporter on this story did an outstanding job of chronicling this absolute quagmire of bizarre schemes and personal misery. Why can't people just enjoy things without trying to turn them into some sort of political cudgel?
I think there's a lot of Schadenfreude about this because the victim himself tried to get political against conservatives before this all blew up in his face, so there's a sense of Karmic retribution going on here.
Old 25th July 2019, 10:27 AM   #40
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Bluesjnrs Second Law - any subject that features a minority will be turned against the opening poster in order to vilify them as a bigot.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events