ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th July 2019, 03:55 PM   #41
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland View Post
Its been reported in various questionable medias about the inhumane conditions in the swedish pre-trial detention center. But a couple of weeks ago the pre-trial detention center weekly menu where presented. Just for fun I will try to translate it for you:

Monday:
Goulash Soup, bread and cheese
Hot chickpea soup served with rice

Tuesday:
Sausage with potatoes and horseradish sauce
Italian chicken with pasta

Wednesday:
Meatballs with mashed potatoes and beetsalad
Chicken nuggets with sweet chili sauce and vegetable rice

Thursday:
Vegetable soup
Cheesecake with jam
"Hash" with fried eggs and beetroot

Friday:
Greece beef croquette (horrible translation) with roasted potatoes and tzatziki

Saturday:
Chicken with mustard and horseradish served with rice
Meat pie with sallad

Sunday:
Beef soup with potatoes
Crepe filled with mushroom and calesallad

The swedish restaurant Tjoget decided to follow this menu that week with the slogan "Eat as ASAP Rocky".
I bet there is nothing Italian about the chicken or Greek about the beef.

He should be grateful it's not a Finnish jail, it would be maksalaatikko, silli and makkara every other day, with dill on everything.

Last edited by Vixen; 26th July 2019 at 04:04 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 04:02 PM   #42
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Thought I'd have a quick look at HELSINGIN SANOMAT - Helsinki Newspaper - to see what the Finns thought of it all. Here's a Google translate for you all:

Quote:
Video footage of MAYERS's [ASAP's real name] arrest and the events leading up to it have circulated on the Internet, which Trump has apparently investigated.

“I watched videos of Asap Rocky, and the bullies followed and teased him. Treat Americans well! ”, Trump tweeted.

“Give Asap Rocky his FREEDOM. We do so much for Sweden, but it does not seem to work in the other direction. Sweden should focus on its real crime problem! ”

Trump has previously proposed paying guarantees against Mayers' freedom, although no guarantees are known in the Swedish legal system.

The maximum sentence for assault in Sweden is two years.

SWEDEN US Ambassador Karin Olofsdotter said commenting on Trump's criticism was "extremely difficult".

"We have an independent judiciary and there is nothing a politician could do about such a thing - could or should," Olofsdotter comments to TT news agency, according to Swedish Broadcasting Corporation SVT.

Olofsdotter stressed that politics had to wait for the trial to proceed.
As Finnish law is much predicated on the Swedish model it naturally sticks up for the Swedish POV.
Old 26th July 2019, 04:03 PM   #43
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I bet there is nothing Italian about the chicken or Greek about the beef.

He should be grateful it's not a Finnish jail, it would be maksalattikko, silli and makkara every other day, with dill on everything.
They're trying to sedate him with all that heavy Scandinavian food!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 06:44 PM   #44
Mumbles
Philosopher

There's a story with video included here on...*sigh*...TMZ.

I mean, looking at the footage there - which, to be fair, plainly does not show everything that happened - I can see why he and two of his entourage were charged. Rumor has it that one of his crew cut someone with a broken bottle, and that prosecutors there have evidence of this, but as I said, it's a rumor.

4 weeks from arrest to trial is pretty incredible by US standards - we have examples like Kalief Browder, who was held for three years on RTiker's Island awaiting trial for stealing a backpack (long after his sole accuser had fled to Mexico), so I'm not sobbing over him being held.

As far as opinions of other people - a lot of people think he should be freed, but those are often fans or people thinking of the almost entirely broken US justice system. Most others are pretty much unaware of the matter, except for maybe the MAGAts now that Dolt 45 tweeted about it, but I don't talk to them.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 07:07 PM   #45
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland View Post
Its been reported in various questionable medias about the inhumane conditions in the swedish pre-trial detention center. But a couple of weeks ago the pre-trial detention center weekly menu where presented. Just for fun I will try to translate it for you:

Monday:
Goulash Soup, bread and cheese
Hot chickpea soup served with rice

Tuesday:
Sausage with potatoes and horseradish sauce
Italian chicken with pasta

Wednesday:
Meatballs with mashed potatoes and beetsalad
Chicken nuggets with sweet chili sauce and vegetable rice

Thursday:
Vegetable soup
Cheesecake with jam
"Hash" with fried eggs and beetroot

Friday:
Greece beef croquette (horrible translation) with roasted potatoes and tzatziki

Saturday:
Chicken with mustard and horseradish served with rice
Meat pie with sallad

Sunday:
Beef soup with potatoes
Crepe filled with mushroom and calesallad

The swedish restaurant Tjoget decided to follow this menu that week with the slogan "Eat as ASAP Rocky".
It's not the food - it's the never ending ABBA music being played in his cell!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2019, 07:42 PM   #46
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
In my scouting days we cooked from scratch, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same now. I guess this is another thing where the American version is very different from the original.
Might depend on place and time. We rural US Scouts of the 50's and 60's actually cooked stuff. I don't suppose it was gourmet food, but we managed something other than prepackaged. Aside from the usual burgers and hot dogs, beef stew and soups and the ever-popular baked potatoes in foil under the fire, our troop did a project at the 1960 Jamboree making (actually edible) corn bread in folding solar ovens. At another event, part of the challenge was to scrounge the woods for sassafras and to make sassafras tea over an open fire in a paper cup. Can be done, by the way.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 04:15 AM   #47
catsmate
No longer the 1

As Finnish law is much predicated on the Swedish model it naturally sticks up for the Swedish POV.
As would be expected from any civilised country when an idiotic foreign politician starts mouthing off.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 04:18 AM   #48
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
This has certainly become a race issue with many huge outlets like TMZ stating outright that A$AP is innocent and is only being treated that way because he is black. They are not implying racism - they are outright stating racism. Lot's of major black celebrities have jumped on the racist bandwagon as well. Doesn't surprise me that Trevor Noah has also jumped into that same knee-jerk bandwagon.
If the incident had happened in the USA the idiot would probably have been shot by police and the Usual Suspects would have applauded.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 05:40 AM   #49
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Doesn't sound like the cushy Swedish jails we hear about. Apparently the substandard food he complained about includes, "turkey, veal, and rhubarb pie with custard." The horror!
No hamburders? That's inhuman!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 06:02 AM   #50
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
No hamburders? That's inhuman!
Not even a cup of covfefe!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 06:45 AM   #51
elgarak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
[..] Bizarrely people convicted of crimes and sentenced to prison are often allowed far more freedom than those merely accused or suspect of a crime even though they are not guilty of any crime according to the law and might even be innocent.
As far as I understand, it is to prevent obstruction of justice by the accused. Maybe that is why 45* is interested in it.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 08:46 AM   #52
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
It seems obvious that Trump is trying to achieve:

1. Look, Squirrel to divert from Mueller;

2. Attack Sweden, which he views as white. This, of course, makes his racist criticisms of ******** countries not racist;

3. By 'advocating' for a black Rapper, it makes all of his racism, racist comments, and support of and by racists a non-issue, because a racist wouldn't attack a white country about prosecuting a black man;

These are three arguments I heard from Trump defenders in my office yesterday. I couldn't figure out how the first was a defense.
Old 27th July 2019, 09:03 AM   #53
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Indeed. Making an idiot of himself as usual by spouting off on matters he doesn't comprehend.
I think Baylor is fantasizing that Trump has some deeper strategy here. That's not possible. Even thinking of a simple strategy requires near human intelligence.
Old 27th July 2019, 09:19 AM   #54
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

At least Trump isn't sending any of his lawyers to help.

Rocky should be grateful for that.
Old 27th July 2019, 11:24 AM   #55
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I think Baylor is fantasizing that Trump has some deeper strategy here. That's not possible. Even thinking of a simple strategy requires near human intelligence.
I asked you to inquire about the Million Dollar Challenge instead of ludicrously using your purported psychic powers on me.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 11:30 AM   #56
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I asked you to inquire about the Million Dollar Challenge instead of ludicrously using your purported psychic powers on me.
What for? It doesn't exist anymore.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 11:38 AM   #57
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
What for? It doesn't exist anymore.
I was unaware but surely there are other uses for Craig's purported psychic abilities than claiming to know what people on a internet message board are thinking.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 12:01 PM   #58
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post

2. Attack Sweden, which he views as white. This, of course, makes his racist criticisms of ******** countries not racist;

3. By 'advocating' for a black Rapper, it makes all of his racism, racist comments, and support of and by racists a non-issue, because a racist wouldn't attack a white country about prosecuting a black man;

These are three arguments I heard from Trump defenders in my office yesterday. I couldn't figure out how the first was a defense.
Black votes. He's doing this for black votes. He doesn't care about coming off as "not racist." That's boomers, skeptics, and other dumb white people projecting.
Old 27th July 2019, 12:09 PM   #59
sackett
Philosopher

I was unaware but surely there are other uses for Craig's purported psychic abilities than claiming to know what people on a internet message board are thinking.
Damn right! Craig's got a helluva nerve, trying to imply that our man B thinks!

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 12:15 PM   #60
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

It stopped in 2015. When this was still the Randi forum. The reason there even is an ISF is because Randi terminated the forum as well as the MDC.

Now, given your join date is 2008, that would have been the JREF forum. Yet here you are on the ISF forum.

I don't buy that you managed that transition while remaining ignorant of the termination of the MDC. That dog don't hunt.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 12:31 PM   #61
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
At least Trump isn't sending any of his lawyers to help.
I thought they were all in prison.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 12:32 PM   #62
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You're naive
You think we don't know what this is about?

Of course we do. He's whoring himself as usual.
Baylor's funny.

Kind of like when Trump knows more than the Swedes, because Trump. It's his people, man.

Surely he thinks this will make blacks see how he goes to bat for them.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 27th July 2019 at 12:37 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 12:37 PM   #63
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So don't like it. I don't care. That's your problem.
Old 27th July 2019, 12:40 PM   #64
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sometimes it's as much to distract Trump, himself, as it is some planned political move.
Old 27th July 2019, 01:16 PM   #65
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

OMG the irony!
Black votes. He's doing this for black votes. He doesn't care about coming off as "not racist." That's boomers, skeptics, and other dumb white people projecting.
I don't suppose you see the irony in telling people they don't know what you are thinking and in the very next post telling the same people what you think they are thinking?

Old 27th July 2019, 01:18 PM   #66
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't buy that you managed that transition while remaining ignorant of the termination of the MDC. That dog don't hunt.
Not only that, someone pointed it out to him in the past month here on this forum.
Old 27th July 2019, 02:00 PM   #67
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Whatever. Arguing with reality fluid folks like you is a waste of time.

Shoo.
Old 27th July 2019, 06:39 PM   #68
Baylor
Philosopher

So don't like it. I don't care. That's your problem.
Boring boomer talk
Old 27th July 2019, 06:45 PM   #69
Baylor
Philosopher

It stopped in 2015. When this was still the Randi forum. The reason there even is an ISF is because Randi terminated the forum as well as the MDC.

Now, given your join date is 2008, that would have been the JREF forum. Yet here you are on the ISF forum.

Believe what you want. I did not post here for 4 years and never planned on posting here again until I happened upon a post of an old man making a terrorist threat against an ICE detention center.
Old 27th July 2019, 08:25 PM   #70
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Thought I'd have a quick look at HELSINGIN SANOMAT - Helsinki Newspaper - to see what the Finns thought of it all. Here's a Google translate for you all:
Quote:
“Give Asap Rocky his FREEDOM. We do so much for Sweden, but it does not seem to work in the other direction. Sweden should focus on its real crime problem! ”
It's worth noting here that when Trump says "Sweden should focus on its real crime problem!" what he means is they should be rounding up and imprisoning Muslim refugees the way he's trying to round up brown people in the US.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 09:59 PM   #71
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It's worth noting here that when Trump says "Sweden should focus on its real crime problem!" what he means is they should be rounding up and imprisoning Muslim refugees the way he's trying to round up brown people in the US.
Do you have a link for proof of that?

FWIW I'm a bit of a any one who calls themselves "ASAP" doesn't get a huge amount of sympathy from me tbf
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 10:08 PM   #72
EHocking
Philosopher

Or... narcissistic Trump hopes that somehow some celebrity will rub of on himself by pandering to the attentions of a Kardashian and Kayne West.

The idea is laughable that Trump
a. knew who a$ap was before KK and KW twittered him,or
2. actually gives a crap about a$ap’s rights,whether in Sweden or the States
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 10:11 PM   #73
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Do you have a link for proof of that?

FWIW I'm a bit of a any one who calls themselves "ASAP" doesn't get a huge amount of sympathy from me tbf
Noted somewhere in some Twitter thread or other,

Since the Kroner is Sweden’s currency, a$ap would have been known as aKrap there...
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2019, 10:28 PM   #74
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Believe what you want. I did not post here for 4 years and never planned on posting here again until I happened upon a post of an old man making a terrorist threat against an ICE detention center.
I have no need for belief. The evidence is right in front of all of us. After all, you posted it.

Old 27th July 2019, 10:50 PM   #75
Baylor
Philosopher

whatever
Old 28th July 2019, 05:30 AM   #76
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Noted somewhere in some Twitter thread or other,

Since the Kroner is Sweden’s currency, a$ap would have been known as aKrap there...
Actually aSKrap.

Apposite.
Old 28th July 2019, 07:21 PM   #77
EHocking
Philosopher

Actually aSKrap.

Apposite.
The Swedish Riksbank disagrees with you - Kr or SEK are the symbols for Swedish Kroner.

SKR is a crypocurrency, Sakuracoin.

(where would ISF be without nitpicking a ******* joke . . . .)
Old 29th July 2019, 01:32 PM   #78
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not only that, someone pointed it out to him in the past month here on this forum.
Really? Bwahahahahahaha. That's like when my kids were bemused when he accused me of being a "childless european". I read it out to them, Their response? "errr...we are sitting right here you know."

Old 29th July 2019, 01:34 PM   #79
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Can you cite the Swedish bail laws, please?

TYVM in advance.

Old 29th July 2019, 04:07 PM   #80
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Can you cite the Swedish bail laws, please?

TYVM in advance.
If they think you are a flight prospect, then similar to most of Europe, you get remanded.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events