ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Montana incidents , national anthem incidents

Old 6th August 2019, 08:10 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

39 year old man assaults 13 year old boy for "disrespecting the National Anthem"

Montana man allegedly leaves boy seizing on the ground with a fractured skull, reportedly told bystanders that "He had a right to do that since the boy was disrespecting the national anthem"

From Newsweek:

Quote:
A Montana man allegedly assaulted a 13-year-old boy who he believed had disrespected the American national anthem at a county fair in the state. Curt James Brockway, 39, of Superior, is accused of assaulting the boy at the Mineral County Fair and Rodeo at around 11 p.m. on Saturday.

"There was a little boy lying on the ground," Taylor Hennick, who was as the rodeo, told Missoulian. "He was bleeding out of his ears, seizing on the ground, just not coherent."

According to KPAX, witnesses saw a man pick up a boy and throw him to the ground. Brockway reportedly tried to justify his actions to nearby fairgoers. Hennick told Missoulian: "He said [the boy] was disrespecting the national anthem so he had every right to do that."

The unnamed boy's parents said his ears bled for six hours after the incident and that his skull was fractured. He was taken by air ambulance to Sacred Heart Children's Hospital in Spokane.
Link: https://www.newsweek.com/montana-man...anthem-1452740
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 08:22 AM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Montana man allegedly leaves boy seizing on the ground with a fractured skull, reportedly told bystanders that "He had a right to do that since the boy was disrespecting the national anthem"

From Newsweek:

Link: https://www.newsweek.com/montana-man...anthem-1452740
The ****** up parts to me:

Quote:
Curt James Brockway was arrested by Mineral County Sheriff's deputies around 11 p.m. Saturday. Montana Department of Justice records show he is registered as a violent offender. Brockway made his initial appearance in Mineral County Justice Court on Monday, and was scheduled to be released on his own recognizance on Tuesday.

Brockway...is serving a 10-year probation sentence for an assault with a weapon charge in 2010.
So he's a violent offender that is on probation for assault with a weapon, attacks a minor (13 yo) and this mother ****** is going to get out on his own recognizance? **** him. Lock him up and throw away the key.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 08:26 AM   #3
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
So he's a violent offender that is on probation for assault with a weapon, attacks a minor (13 yo) and this mother ****** is going to get out on his own recognizance?
Clearly, that's because he's just another victim, and this is all really Colin Kaepernick's fault. We should expect a tweet to confirm that any minute.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 08:36 AM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//Devils advocate// Small Montana town, dude might be so well known by the local law enforcement that the chances of him running or not showing up to trial pretty low //

But I agree it's pretty messed up and just standard "good ole' boy" nonsense is the much more likely reason.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 08:52 AM   #5
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm going to venture a wild guess and say that he's probably not a legal expert.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 08:56 AM   #6
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

//Devils advocate// Small Montana town, dude might be so well known by the local law enforcement that the chances of him running or not showing up to trial pretty low //

But I agree it's pretty messed up and just standard "good ole' boy" nonsense is the much more likely reason.
I agree with your devils advocate* position, but hasn't he done enough to show that he is a danger to the community?

*Not to be confused with our fine member with a similar name.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 09:14 AM   #7
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How isn't beating a child a violation of his probation? After all he doesn't need to be convicted of a crime to be sent to prison as he already was, he just needs to be argued to violate probation.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 09:19 AM   #8
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
How isn't beating a child a violation of his probation? After all he doesn't need to be convicted of a crime to be sent to prison as he already was, he just needs to be argued to violate probation.
There's a process (Revocation) that you go through when you violate your probation. I believe you're thinking of parole.

From my experience, what happens next is his probation officer will revoke is probation (which is what they should be doing instead of letting him out), and he'll have to face his original charges again along with the new charges.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 09:22 AM   #9
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

But the evidence that his own recognizance won't prevent him from doing serious harm to strangers is pretty high.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 09:25 AM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So you think no flight risk is the only consideration in the guy's release?

How about revoking that probation?
Old 6th August 2019, 09:26 AM   #11
autumn1971
Master Poster

Well, these days when I think of the American Flag I do usually think of violent criminal trash.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 09:26 AM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
But the evidence that his own recognizance won't prevent him from doing serious harm to strangers is pretty high.
He just needs time to go fetch his guns and ammo. He'll be in the news again shortly.
Old 6th August 2019, 09:27 AM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I agree with your devils advocate* position, but hasn't he done enough to show that he is a danger to the community?

*Not to be confused with our fine member with a similar name.
Isn't probation usually dependent upon not reoffending?
Old 6th August 2019, 09:33 AM   #14
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Isn't probation usually dependent upon not reoffending?
I know **** all about criminal law, but this would certainly seem like something that should cause serious problems for someone on probation. His release is baffling to me.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 09:36 AM   #15
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I know **** all about criminal law, but this would certainly seem like something that should cause serious problems for someone on probation. His release is baffling to me.
From my own experience, his release is baffling me. When I was 18 I got in some trouble and had probation. I got mine revoked because I got a minor in consumption. In case anyone is curious, my felony was non-violent, and non-drug related. Drinking was also non-violent, and I got revoked the following Monday, and arrested.

In this case, it's violent, he has a history of violence, and this happened on the weekend. Under no circumstance should he even have the option of getting out.

Old 6th August 2019, 09:55 AM   #16
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Well, these days when I think of the American Flag I do usually think of violent criminal trash.

I sympathize with your affliction
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 11:23 AM   #17
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Do we know in what way the boy violated the national anthem?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 11:29 AM   #18
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
It was dressed slutty for a start. And he took issues with the verse about who glorious it is to kill rebellious slaves.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:11 PM   #19
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

While it might be interesting to know, I hope you agree that it is not actually important. He could have spat and said out loud "**** the National Anthem" and it still would not be reasonable grounds to break his skull even if he had been an adult. Remember that our freedom is tested at the edges, not the middle.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:22 PM   #20
dann
Philosopher

... or he may be an atheist and object to: And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:34 PM   #21
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I don't know why this story is treating this man's claim at face value. This grown ass man savagely beat a 13 year old. I see no reason to treat his word as credible.

Is there any evidence that such "disrespect" of the national anthem even occurred?

It should go without saying that the attack is unjustified regardless, but I just find it weird that this story is being reported based on the word of a unhinged, violent lunatic.
Old 6th August 2019, 12:40 PM   #22
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I don't know why this story is treating this man's claim at face value. This grown ass man savagely beat a 13 year old. I see no reason to treat his word as credible.

Is there any evidence that such "disrespect" of the national anthem even occurred?

It should go without saying that the attack is unjustified regardless, but I just find it weird that this story is being reported based on the word of a unhinged, violent lunatic.
If he really disrespected the National Anthem it would be justified.
Old 6th August 2019, 12:42 PM   #23
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I think we need to know if either one was wearing a MAGA hat before jumping to conclusions
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:43 PM   #24
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Ho do you even disrespect a song?

It is like disrespecting a box of matches
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:46 PM   #25
Venom
Master Poster

What do the "back in my day we were allowed to whip our kids" types think of this.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:47 PM   #26
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

According to multiple accounts, Man assaulted boy who kept hat on during anthem
Old 6th August 2019, 12:48 PM   #27
Armitage72
Illuminator

He failed to properly hump the nearest flag while the song was playing.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:50 PM   #28
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
According to multiple accounts, Man assaulted boy who kept hat on during anthem
Would have been better if the kid refused to remove his hard-hat...

I'll see myself out.
Old 6th August 2019, 12:55 PM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A guy really lost it at a Dickens Christmas Fair a sort of Victorian Renfair….in San Francisco a couple of years ago.
One of the singing groups who perform there did an old English Drinking Song called "Anacreon In Heaven" the tune of which, of course, was borrowed for the Star Spangle Banner. He just got really mad at the anthem being disrespected. had to be calmed down by security guards.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 01:10 PM   #30
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
He failed to properly hump the nearest flag while the song was playing.
Lol

Old 6th August 2019, 01:11 PM   #31
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A guy really lost it at a Dickens Christmas Fair a sort of Victorian Renfair….in San Francisco a couple of years ago.
One of the singing groups who perform there did an old English Drinking Song called "Anacreon In Heaven" the tune of which, of course, was borrowed for the Star Spangle Banner. He just got really mad at the anthem being disrespected. had to be calmed down by security guards.
That is funny, not even respecting the anthem enough on his part to know its history as taking the tune of a drinking song and setting a poem to it?

And everyone forgets the third verse about how great it was to see rebellious slaves who joined the british get killed.
Old 6th August 2019, 01:16 PM   #32
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
It's coming......
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 01:17 PM   #33
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I think we need to know if either one was wearing a MAGA hat before jumping to conclusions
..... closer......
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 01:37 PM   #34
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
..... closer......
_RU_P
Old 6th August 2019, 01:49 PM   #35
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

There's a rap sheet website which says he's currently serving a ten-year sentence (passed in 2011), suspended, stemming from an incident in 2010. Not sure if parole counts in this case (not a legal expert), but seems extraordinary to release someone under these circumstances.
Old 6th August 2019, 01:52 PM   #36
plague311
Great minds think...

I don't care if he's a Trump supporter or not. As was mentioned upthread, this event is absolutely tragic and nothing would justify it.

It's not like I'm secretly hoping my political rivals almost killed a kid over something as ******* dumb as the national anthem. For the life of me I don't even understand what the two have to do with each other (sports and nut hugging the flag). Did the founding fathers have something for sports or rodeo's? For dumb.

Old 6th August 2019, 01:53 PM   #37
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
There's a rap sheet website which says he's currently serving a ten-year sentence (passed in 2011), suspended, stemming from an incident in 2010. Not sure if parole counts in this case (not a legal expert), but seems extraordinary to release someone under these circumstances.
He's not on parole, he's on probation, but yeah. It's definitely ridiculous that they are letting this flaming bag of dog **** out on his own, without even paying bail by the sounds of the article.

Old 6th August 2019, 02:01 PM   #38
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Just as long as his tail lights work it's all good.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 02:43 PM   #39
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
What do the "back in my day we were allowed to whip our kids" types think of this.
Further back than that, even though the occasional whipping was considered in bounds, it was definitely not permitted to attack other people's kids and break their skulls.

Old 6th August 2019, 02:51 PM   #40
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Do we know for sure he's out awaiting arraignment? I saw an Aug 12th or 14th date for arraignment.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events