ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Montana incidents , national anthem incidents

Old 6th August 2019, 02:54 PM   #41
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Do we know for sure he's out awaiting arraignment? I saw an Aug 12th or 14th date for arraignment.
The link you quoted earlier says something different than the one I quoted. The one you posted says:

Quote:
Curt James Brockway, 39, of Superior, Montana, made an initial court appearance Monday on a charge of assault on a minor. Prosecutors recommended his bail be set at $100,000. Court officials said Brockway's attorney was working Tuesday to recommend conditions that might allow Brockway be released without posting bond.
The one I quoted said:

Quote:
Brockway made his initial appearance in Mineral County Justice Court on Monday, and was scheduled to be released on his own recognizance on Tuesday.
That made it sound as if it was already done, and he was getting out.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 03:04 PM   #42
Jimmy9
Scholar

He should have hit the kid with a milkshake.

Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.
Jimmy9 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 03:06 PM   #43
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
The link you quoted earlier says something different than the one I quoted. The one you posted says:

The one I quoted said:

That made it sound as if it was already done, and he was getting out.
It does say "scheduled". I bet he's still in jail.

I don't think we know for sure.
Old 6th August 2019, 03:07 PM   #44
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Why shouldn't he be released? The President of the United States repeatedly made it clear that the penalties for disrespecting the national anthem should include ruining lives. This guy simply used the means available to him to exact that penalty.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 11:19 PM   #45
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
That is funny, not even respecting the anthem enough on his part to know its history as taking the tune of a drinking song and setting a poem to it?

And everyone forgets the third verse about how great it was to see rebellious slaves who joined the british get killed.

It is soooo disrespectful to turn an old song praising pagan gods and the joys of drinking into one that praises patriotism, racism and Christianity!
To Anacreon in Heaven (Wikipedia)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 11:55 PM   #46
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Why shouldn't he be released? The President of the United States repeatedly made it clear that the penalties for disrespecting the national anthem should include ruining lives. This guy simply used the means available to him to exact that penalty.
....... aaannnd here we are. Touchdown!

Bluesjnrs rule. Thread Trumped.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 06:49 AM   #47
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
....... aaannnd here we are. Touchdown!

Bluesjnrs rule. Thread Trumped.
Indeed, predictable. The prediction would have more meaning, I think, if the thing predicted contained less truth.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 07:58 AM   #48
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Ho do you even disrespect a song?

It is like disrespecting a box of matches

Same way you disrespect a flag. By being observed by someone who has priorities so out of whack that they tie up their entire cultural identity in a piece of music or a piece of cloth.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 7th August 2019 at 08:00 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 10:40 AM   #49
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
According to multiple accounts, Man assaulted boy who kept hat on during anthem
Thanks. That article makes it sound like he has not yet been released:

Quote:
Brockway, of Superior, Montana, made an initial court appearance Monday on a charge of assault on a minor. Prosecutors recommended his bail be set at $100,000. Court officials said Brockway's attorney was working Tuesday to recommend conditions that might allow Brockway be released without posting bond.

Brockway is a registered violent offender after being convicted of a 2010 charge of assault with a weapon. District Judge John Larson gave him a 10-year suspended sentence. Brockway is scheduled to be arraigned Aug. 14, when he'll be asked to enter a plea.
ETA: I see you all were discussing that already. Sorry to not add anything to that part of the discussion.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 7th August 2019 at 10:43 AM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 01:02 AM   #50
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Indeed, predictable. The prediction would have more meaning, I think, if the thing predicted contained less truth.
This thread is not about him nor politics, so no need for it. The amount of times a thread is "Trumped" in this forum is ridiculous.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 04:55 AM   #51
dann
Philosopher

So with a POTUS tweeting that "If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL,or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem," it is not at all relevant to mention him when a 39 year old man assaults 13 year old boy for "disrespecting the National Anthem"."
Good luck with your attempt to establish that idea as a thoughtcrime ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 05:03 AM   #52
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

This thread is not about him nor politics, so no need for it. The amount of times a thread is "Trumped" in this forum is ridiculous.
I want everyone to remember I created the Cullenz's law of Trump beats Godwin's law before he became Prez'
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 07:08 AM   #53
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by dann View Post
So with a POTUS tweeting that "If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL,or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem," it is not at all relevant to mention him when a 39 year old man assaults 13 year old boy for "disrespecting the National Anthem"."
Good luck with your attempt to establish that idea as a thoughtcrime ...
The funny part is that for as much braying that Trump does about respecting flag, the Anthem, and so on, the dumb son of a bitch doesn't know the words to any of it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 07:11 AM   #54
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"All you ever talk about is to complain about Nero!"
"Well, he did have my family executed yesterday."
"There you go again!"
Old 8th August 2019, 07:51 AM   #55
Armitage72
Illuminator

The funny part is that for as much braying that Trump does about respecting flag, the Anthem, and so on, the dumb son of a bitch doesn't know the words to any of it.

My comment about the kid not properly humping the nearest flag was meant to be a reference to Trump's habit of molesting flags to demonstrate his patriotism.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 09:06 AM   #56
Venom
Master Poster

Attorney: Montana man thought he was acting on Trump's orders
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 09:11 AM   #57
Belz...
Fiend God

Released without bail. That's odd.

Anyway, that's just one more piece of evidence to show Trump's rhetoric can lead to violence.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 09:12 AM   #58
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Ye gods, they're all at it - even the subject of the thread is Trumping it now!

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 09:25 AM   #59
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I want everyone to remember I created the Cullenz's law of Trump beats Godwin's law before he became Prez'
I'm afraid I shamelessly stole it from you and tidied it up a bit. It's now called Bluesjnrs Rule© and I have been promoting it hard hoping it gains ground.

The beauty is that this forum is a rich hunting ground, you can point virtually anywhere and someone will be blaming whatever ills on Trump.

You could consider the available, X's rule of excessive hyperbolicity. It'll take up more than smidgen of your time applying it here.
Old 8th August 2019, 09:30 AM   #60
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Released without bail. That's odd.
I'm at a loss. A registered violent offender with known mental health issues, that has just committed another violent act on a minor has no issue getting out without bail?

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Anyway, that's just one more piece of evidence to show Trump's rhetoric can lead to violence.
Part of me feels for the guy. Traumatic brain injuries are tough to deal with and it can lead to violent behavior.

Old 8th August 2019, 10:15 AM   #61
Hevneren
Thinker

I'm afraid I shamelessly stole it from you and tidied it up a bit. It's now called Bluesjnrs Rule© and I have been promoting it hard hoping it gains ground.

The beauty is that this forum is a rich hunting ground, you can point virtually anywhere and someone will be blaming whatever ills on Trump.

You could consider the available, X's rule of excessive hyperbolicity. It'll take up more than smidgen of your time applying it here.
Looks like the Trumping of this thread wasn’t that far-fetched after all. The perpetrator himself thought he was acting on Trump’s order. Didn’t you notice?
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 11:23 AM   #62
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Hevneren View Post
Looks like the Trumping of this thread wasn’t that far-fetched after all.
My point being that NO thread is far away from falling foul of Bluesjnrs Rule (please ensure you reference it thusly going forward, lets see no more of this "Trumping"). Haven't you noticed?

Quote:
The perpetrator himself thought he was acting on Trump’s order. Didn’t you notice?
I didn't up to the point when I invoked the rule and can't be arsed delving into the mire to confirm this. Link?

Having asked, please don't feel the need, unless you want to. After all, once invoked, Bluesjnrs Rule is never rescinded.

Last edited by bluesjnr; 8th August 2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 8th August 2019, 11:39 AM   #63
dann
Philosopher

Quote:
Conduct during the playing of the national anthem has been an issue in recent years, with some NFL players kneeling to protest police brutality. Trump once called for NFL owners to fire players who kneel or engage in other acts of protest during the anthem.
"Trump never necessarily says go hurt somebody, but the message is absolutely clear," Jasper said. "I am certain of the fact that (Brockway) was doing what he believed he was told to do, essentially, by the president. ... Everyone should learn to dial it down a little bit, from the president to Mineral County."

I've got another one:
No matter how obvious it is that something is caused by Trump and/or his fans, Trumpites will be in denial about it and claim that it is a left-wing delusion.
Whenever this happens, we say, "This thread has been bluesjr'ed!"

Last edited by dann; 8th August 2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 8th August 2019, 11:51 AM   #64
plague311
Great minds think...

My point being that NO thread is far away from falling foul of Bluesjnrs Rule (please ensure you reference it thusly going forward, lets see no more of this "Trumping"). Haven't you noticed?

I didn't up to the point when I invoked the rule and can't be arsed delving into the mire to confirm this. Link?

Having asked, please don't feel the need, unless you want to. After all, once invoked, Bluesjnrs Rule is never rescinded.
Ask and ye shall receive.

Old 8th August 2019, 11:57 AM   #65
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Looks like the Trumping of this thread wasn’t that far-fetched after all. The perpetrator himself thought he was acting on Trump’s order. Didn’t you notice?
Given the disrespect for the flag issue, it was obvious Trump would be part of the discussion.

I don't see how anyone here would find the Trump discussion gratuitous.
Old 8th August 2019, 12:01 PM   #66
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Womp womp
Old 8th August 2019, 12:25 PM   #67
Hevneren
Thinker

Fair enough. I can be arsed. Here's the link. I've never heard of WCJB before, so don't know if it's a credible source. Btw, what, exactly, is the Bluesjnrs Rule again?
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 12:36 PM   #68
plague311
Great minds think...

Fair enough. I can be arsed.
I've heard that about you

Btw, what, exactly, is the Bluesjnrs Rule again?
Take Godwin's theory and swap out Trump. Bluesjnr is doing his best to downplay Trump's influence.

Old 8th August 2019, 12:50 PM   #69
Venom
Master Poster

Fair enough. I can be arsed. Here's the link. I've never heard of WCJB before, so don't know if it's a credible source. Btw, what, exactly, is the Bluesjnrs Rule again?
To be fair it's his attorney saying that, who is probably just defending his client really badly....or to deflect blame to Trump.

or so I've heard in the comments section on Facebook.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 01:08 PM   #70
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Of course not, since the song take place in Baltimore, and we all know what Trump thinks of Baltimore.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 01:16 PM   #71
Hevneren
Thinker

To be fair it's his attorney saying that, who is probably just defending his client really badly....or to deflect blame to Trump.

or so I've heard in the comments section on Facebook.
Hard to tell. This (missoulian.com) seems to be the original source, but I can't access the page from where I am located.
Old 8th August 2019, 02:03 PM   #72
plague311
Great minds think...

Hard to tell. This (missoulian.com) seems to be the original source, but I can't access the page from where I am located.
That says the same thing as Venom was pretty much saying:

Quote:
His defense attorney, Lance Jasper, told the Missoulian Wednesday the president's "rhetoric" contributed to the U.S. Army veteran's disposition when he choke-slammed a 13-year-old, fracturing his skull, at the Mineral County fairgrounds on Aug. 3.

"His commander in chief is telling people that if they kneel, they should be fired, or if they burn a flag, they should be punished," Jasper said. "He certainly didn't understand it was a crime."
The lawyer is saying Trump told him. The piece of **** that did it hasn't said anything publicly yet, though the original article did also say that he was trying to justify it to the people around him. Saying that Brockway was justified since the kid was disrespecting the anthem.

I think they're setting up for an insanity or temp insanity defense.

Last edited by plague311; 8th August 2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 8th August 2019, 03:16 PM   #73
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Some people just see kids as an easy target for their bullying and violent instincts.
Old 8th August 2019, 05:03 PM   #74
ArchSas
Thinker

That says the same thing as Venom was pretty much saying:

The lawyer is saying Trump told him. The piece of **** that did it hasn't said anything publicly yet, though the original article did also say that he was trying to justify it to the people around him. Saying that Brockway was justified since the kid was disrespecting the anthem.

I think they're setting up for an insanity or temp insanity defense.
Probably this. It's essentially the same thing the MAGAbomber's lawyer used as a defense, and it worked well enough.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 01:04 AM   #75
bluesjnr

Thank you very much for taking the time.
Old 9th August 2019, 01:10 AM   #76
bluesjnr

Thank you for taking the time.

You can accept the rule description from me which is that any thread on any subject that casts a negative light on the US will have at least one person blaming it all on Trump. I find it hilarious, utterly devoid of rational thought and the most inane paranoia. For clarity, I'm not in US and have no dog in any of the many fights. I'm amusing myself and that's about the height of it.

Or

You can lazily hint that I'm a Trump supporter which, in turn, makes me a racist, white supremacist. This is the go to tactic employed by many.

Last edited by bluesjnr; 9th August 2019 at 01:31 AM.
Old 9th August 2019, 01:15 AM   #77
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Womp womp
I can't see what point you are trying to make here? Are you attempting to make it look like I was under the impression there would be no evidence to support Hevnerens claim because I can't begin to think where you got that?

Bluesjnrs Rule still applies because these facts were not in evidence when it was applied.

I win.

Last edited by bluesjnr; 9th August 2019 at 01:32 AM.
Old 9th August 2019, 01:25 AM   #78
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I've got another one:
No matter how obvious it is that something is caused by Trump and/or his fans, Trumpites will be in denial about it and claim that it is a left-wing delusion.
Whenever this happens, we say, "This thread has been bluesjr'ed!"
That might work but it has a few problems.

1) I'm not a Trumpite.
2) I'm not universally of the opinion that left wingers are delusional. Many are, and many contributing to this forum are well past delusional. Many, but not all, right wingers (there are fewer contributors) on this forum seem to be straight up racists. There are fine people on both sides!
3) If evidence surfaces that Trump is directly responsible for X, then I'll happily accept that as fact (have you seen me doing otherwise?). If said evidence is supplied in advance the rule cannot and will not be applied.
4) Since you'll be using my forum name and deliberately misrepresenting my position (what a fundamentally dishonest thing to do) it might be classed as a call out - I don't know?

Anyhow, it's interesting to see such an overboard reaction and call to arms to what is, on the face of it, a whimsical indulgence. You'll be wanting to milkshake me next.

Last edited by bluesjnr; 9th August 2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 9th August 2019, 01:29 AM   #79
bluesjnr

Take Godwin's theory and swap out Trump. Bluesjnr is doing his best to downplay Trump's influence.
No he's not - you're lying. You've correctly identified the influence for the rule and how it works then twisted it to make me out.............. whatever it is that the voices tell you to.
Old 9th August 2019, 01:56 AM   #80
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

You can accept the rule description from me which is that any thread on any subject that casts a negative light on the US will have at least one person blaming it all on Trump.
To be fair, though, it's not hard to see the connection between a President who uses confrontational nationalist rhetoric, including very specifically personal verbal attacks on individuals who he feels to have disrespected the US flag, and an act of violence justified after the fact by its perpetrator as a response to a person disrespecting the flag. I can see that sometimes a tenuous connection is drawn between Trump and bad things happening in America, but in this case there's a very obvious similarity of language and motivation.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events