ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th August 2019, 03:46 PM   #41
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

A couple of 'survivalists' on the run from the police, disappear into the Canadian wilderness at Gillam, Manitoba. Locals and police warn it is nothing but swamp and that they 'may never be found'.

Given that scenario and their last meal was an orange, some sardines and pork chops, they might each be looking at the other with new eyes. Suddenly your chum's leg or arm might cause your mouth to salivate.

Having seen the exhibition at the Maritime Museum in Greenwich some time ago about the artefacts found on the mysterious disappearance of Franklin's ship HMS Erebus, believed to have got grounded in ice near the Greenland region of the so-called North Western passage, my imagination was fired so I read the novel by Ed O'Loughlin Minds of Winterwhich took us everywhere around the region - great read! - including a tale about two characters Cufbert and Wetherbee a truly macabre and grimly amusing horror story of cabin fever, cannibalism and pure degeneration arising from the lust of the gold rush. Guy turns up at a cabin, sees two headstones in the yard. As he is eating a meal set out by his hosts, he turns just in time to see one of the guys about to strike him down. He beats a hasty reteat when he realised he'd stumbled across a pair of cannibals and realised his might be the next headstone in the yard.

Or even Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild examines the true story of Chris McCandless, a young man, who in 1992 walked deep into the Alaskan wilderness and whose SOS note and emaciated corpse were found four months later, in a slightly different genre.

Perhaps these two guys had a similar yearning to try out their survival skills a came to a sticky end.

Apparently, there is a US wanted killer on the loose in Canada so how do they know it wasn't him what dunnit?

Last edited by Vixen; 9th August 2019 at 03:59 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 03:56 PM   #42
carlitos
"más divertido"

Let me guess - you were posting to alt.sex.stories.cannibalism and mistakenly clicked in the wrong browser tab? This is the International Skeptics Forum. It used to be affiliated with James Randi.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 04:15 PM   #43
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Survival expert says 'food will be a problem' for the pair:

Quote:
There are no train tracks from Gillam to York Landing but the two towns are connected by hydro lines.

The lines carry electricity from hydro-electric dams to homes in Manitoba and are connected by pylons that traverse the dense terrain.

The hydro lines are visible on Google Earth, but experts say following them would be fraught with danger.

Survival expert Sherman Kong told Global News it would be a risky proposition, but the teens are desperate.

“It’s dense, it’s foggy, it’s swampy, (there are) tonnes of bugs,” he said.

“They’re going to have to maintain the ability to find shelter, water, fire, food. I would imagine that the consideration of food is now becoming problematic for them.”

The area is also full of bears. Officers searching the landfill site today had to scare away bears in the area.
Old 9th August 2019, 04:25 PM   #44
Arcade22
Philosopher

They probably killed themselves rather than be eaten alive by the bugs and bears.
Old 9th August 2019, 07:29 PM   #45
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I believe that there are reports floating around that the boys stole a boat, which they crashed into something, which resulted in them both drowning the river.

Here you go, your local sources may be better:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...found/11393752
Old 9th August 2019, 08:00 PM   #46
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I believe that there are reports floating around that the boys stole a boat, which they crashed into something, which resulted in them both drowning the river.

They even had guns and yet stood no chance against the horrors of Manitoba...
Old 9th August 2019, 08:05 PM   #47
carlitos
"más divertido"

For the horse flies in Winnipeg, you need stopping power. Something like a .357 Magnum.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 08:49 PM   #48
Molinaro
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
OK, fair enough. Vancouver Island where the youths started off from is in the far west of Canada and Manitoba where they apparently died is in the far east of it.
Not quite. 2000 km East of the far West is still the West side of Canada!
Old 9th August 2019, 09:12 PM   #49
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

It was me. I ate them.

That should wrap up the cannibalism discussion.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 11:31 PM   #50
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
It was me. I ate them.

That should wrap up the cannibalism discussion.
Maybe they ate themselves to death, Pizza the Hut style.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 01:07 AM   #51
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Some googling found this:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5682031/r...-murders-nazi/
Police are investigating photos of Bryer Schmegelsky, one of the two suspects wanted in deaths of multiple people in B.C., wearing army attire and holding Nazi paraphernalia, the RCMP have confirmed.
One of the photos depicts Bryer Schmegelsky wearing army attire while holding a rifle and a second shows him in a gas mask. The third photo depicts a swastika arm band and a knife with the inscription “Blut und Ehre” on the blade, which means blood and honour in German.

(The article contains the referenced photos. It also has information from one of the parents, suggesting he was troubled and wanted to go out in a "blaze of glory".)

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
The right-wing leaning claim was put to rest pretty quickly. The guy liked Nazi memorabilia, that's it.

Yes, that's it. Perfectly normal, everybody does that. Probably Antifas trying to defame honest Nazis ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 05:13 AM   #52
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
For the horse flies in Winnipeg, you need stopping power. Something like a .357 Magnum.
Are they like the mosquitos in central America? So large they can fly off with a two year old? The "Jose Grecos del Muerte", The Flamenco dancers of death?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 06:28 AM   #53
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

Their bodies were found in 'dense scrub' so unless drowned men can walk, it seems unlikely.

Quote:
Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy said the bodies believed to be the wanted teens were found in dense scrub in Manitoba, 1 kilometre from where "several items directly linked" to the fugitives were found, and 8 kilometres from where a grey Toyota RAV4 they were known to have been driving was found in flames on a highway.

Unless, of course, the river Nelson is part of the 'scrub'.
Old 11th August 2019, 05:03 AM   #54
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Seems the bodies were found some distance away from the river.

Quote:
Royal Canadian Mounted Police found the two bodies about 1km from the banks of the Nelson River, near the small town of Gillam, the centre of the manhunt for the past two weeks.

The bodies of Lucas Fowler, 23, and Chynna Deese, 24, were discovered beside their van on the Alaska Highway on July 15.
http://clicklancashire.com/2019/08/1...-manitoba.html

The autopsy will determine how long they were dead and their identity.

I expect their gun/s nearby will determine whether it was a double suicide, suicide/murder or natural causes, such as a bear or a succumbing to a mass of blood-sucking mosquito-like flies, often to be found in swampy wetlands. Probably not hypothermia as the temperatures have reached as high as 30°c in recent days. I hate to think what the state of the bodies were if dead more than a few days.
Old 11th August 2019, 05:08 AM   #55
Arcade22
Philosopher

or a succumbing to a mass of blood-sucking mosquito-like flies, often to be found in swampy wetlands.
Yes because that actually happens.
Old 11th August 2019, 06:05 AM   #56
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Yes because that actually happens.
From the web:

Quote:
But the long answer is kind of crazy. There are more than 3,500 species of mosquitoes, all of varying sizes, appetites, and dispositions. ... If you do the math, you'd need a swarm of 1.1 million Asian tiger mosquitoes to completely drain a human's blood— but chances are you'd die long before all your blood was gone.
Quote:
For an average person, losing two liters of blood becomes life-threatening. The average mosquito bite drains 0.01 to 0.001 milliliters of blood. Thus it would take somewhere between 200,000 and 2 million mosquito bites to kill you from blood loss.
Death by black fly:

Quote:
They can cause severe allergic reactions in some, up to and including death. Because black flies tend to swarm their prey, a single victim can receive numerous bites in a short period of time, increasing the likelihood of a dangerous reaction.

Quote:
Black flies latch on when they eat, and can't be removed until they're done. Of course, they can be swatted, but that's not so easy when there are hundreds of them. Even if they don't exsanguinate animals outright, or shoot them up with debilitating larvae parasites, they are injecting something into their food source. Black flies' saliva contains a cocktail of drugs. They have an anticoagulant component, a compound that keeps the area from swelling up, and a special compound that dilates the capillaries in the area to let blood flow more quickly. None of these should hurt a normal animal experiencing a single bite. It's a different story when we're talking about hundreds of bites over a couple of hours. Eventually the skin does swell up in response to a storm of white blood cells. The capillaries do the same, swelling until they're destroyed. Hemorrhaging begins under the skin, and at last the heart gives out. Although the hundreds of tiny wounds, and the attendant exposure to infection, can't help - overall the body is responding to the massive amount of tiny doses of drugs. An animal, or even a person, can die of bug spit poisoning.

Wow, after defenestration, I am going to add exsanguination as the worst cause of death.
Old 11th August 2019, 12:17 PM   #57
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

You can't yank them off?! They sound worse than deerflies and horseflies combined!
Old 11th August 2019, 01:21 PM   #58
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Quote:
Black flies latch on when they eat, and can't be removed until they're done.
What a silly statement. Of course they can be removed. They can "latch on" as hard as they want; the fly cannot prevent a human from grabbing it and removing it.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:47 PM   #59
Arcade22
Philosopher

Wow, after defenestration, I am going to add exsanguination as the worst cause of death.
Manitoba has a estimated population of roughly 1.3 million people. It shouldn't be hard to find at least one case of a person dying because of blood loss caused by "black flies".

Note that in the real world death by exsanguination is quite common, since many physical injuries are fatal not because of the immediate tissue damage itself, but are instead caused by internal and/or external bleeding. Death directly caused by blood sucking insects? Not so much.
Old 11th August 2019, 01:54 PM   #60
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Just as an aside, falcon chicks can be killed if a black fly swarm clogs their airways. But I would think putting a cloth over your face would keep a human from suffocating.
Old 11th August 2019, 06:39 PM   #61
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Seems the bodies were found some distance away from the river.

The autopsy will determine how long they were dead and their identity.
They could have ventured upon the territory of a male Bigfoot. Things can get dicey. A full attack can be lethal and even being near them is a godawful experience because of the stench being emitted from their fist-sized anal sacs. Their long tangled hair is wretched and has no value anywhere.
Old 11th August 2019, 11:10 PM   #62
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
They could have ventured upon the territory of a male Bigfoot. Things can get dicey. A full attack can be lethal and even being near them is a godawful experience because of the stench being emitted from their fist-sized anal sacs. Their long tangled hair is wretched and has no value anywhere.
Of course, it had to be you to beat me to the Bigfoot explanation. But the cause of death is wrong. Bigfoots have been breeding blood-sucking mosquito-vampire black flies for generations, and it was probably one of theses swarms that got loose due to a Bigfoot leaving a cage open (they are notoriously clumsy with their lack of opposable thumbs). It was just an accident. Bigfoots are gentle creatures.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:36 PM   #63
angrysoba
Philosophile

The black flies are more cunning than we might have assumed. Apparently they shot the two men and then left the guns next to the bodies to make it look like suicide.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ide-by-gunfire
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:49 PM   #64
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So one of the possibilities I cited, police knew they shot themselves but were waiting for the autopsies before saying so publicly.
Old 12th August 2019, 04:30 PM   #65
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

That's interesting. Like the dad said about Schmegelsky, they chose to do a 'Thelma and Louise'. Went on a car ride into the wild, ended up killing two people, Luke Fowler and Chynna Deese, then a professor of Botany, Mr. Dyck (_sp?). Being wanted for murder and with the Canadian police force on their trail, preferred to top themselves rather than be caught.

Quote:
Two teenagers who prompted a Canada-wide manhunt are thought to have died in suicides "by gunfire", police say.

A post-mortem examination has confirmed that bodies found last week in northern Manitoba are those of Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18.

They were suspected of three murders - those of an Australian-US couple and a Canadian man.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49296097

I would have thought it would be easier for them to shoot each other simultaneously because in a suicide pact, how do you know the other guy won't renege or chicken out?

Last edited by Vixen; 12th August 2019 at 04:32 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 04:37 PM   #66
angrysoba
Philosophile

I would have thought it would be easier for them to shoot each other simultaneously because in a suicide pact, how do you know the other guy won't renege or chicken out?
“Let’s shoot each other. One, two, thr...” *BANG*

“Oh, was it shoot on three or shoot after three? Hmmm... we should have sorted that out earlier.”

Old 12th August 2019, 05:08 PM   #67
Steve
Philosopher

Excellent solution. Very thoughtful of them. Now we don’t have to pay the costs of trying them and keeping them in jail for a long tine.

Of course they really should have done this a month ago before they killed anybody else.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:16 PM   #68
Arcade22
Philosopher

That's interesting. Like the dad said about Schmegelsky, they chose to do a 'Thelma and Louise'. Went on a car ride into the wild, ended up killing two people, Luke Fowler and Chynna Deese, then a professor of Botany, Mr. Dyck (_sp?). Being wanted for murder and with the Canadian police force on their trail, preferred to top themselves rather than be caught.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49296097

I thought he first said they would go out in a blaze of glory. I feel kinda cheated out an epic showdown.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:17 PM   #69
Arcade22
Philosopher

It's not like it matters when you're dead now does it.
Old 12th August 2019, 06:58 PM   #70
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

They don't really have to be simultaneous, most gunshots that kill you don't do it instantly. police instructor once told our class a story about a man who took a gun to the pub and shot his friend in the chest. The friend looked at the wound, then pulled out his knife and slashed his murderer from crotch to neck. Both ended up on slabs, killed by each other.
Old 13th August 2019, 02:45 AM   #71
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
They don't really have to be simultaneous, most gunshots that kill you don't do it instantly. police instructor once told our class a story about a man who took a gun to the pub and shot his friend in the chest. The friend looked at the wound, then pulled out his knife and slashed his murderer from crotch to neck. Both ended up on slabs, killed by each other.
Charming, I'm sure.

There has to be a moral there.
Old 13th August 2019, 09:21 AM   #72
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Presumably ... not right away.

Well, there is a certain Canadian Tradition of early-onset cannibalism:

Transcribed from: Comedy Central
Transcribed by: Matt Morrison (herogreenlantern@hotmail.com)

Cast:

Kevin- Prosecutor
Dave- Mr. Lucic (Defendant)
Scott- Judge

[Scene: A courtroom with jury of extras in background]

Kevin: [approaching witness stand] Mr. Lucic, do you still maintain that your actions concerning Flight 138 are somehow justified?

Dave: [intensely] What would you have done? None of you can understand because none of you were there. You don't think about what's right and wrong when you're just trying to survive. Right and wrong, those are just words... they don't mean anything! When you look around at you and all you can see is death! And all you can feel is the hunger. What would you have done?

Kevin: [removing glasses] We're not talking about a plane crash in the Andes here, sir. You never got off the runway. We are talking about a delay! You are the sole survivor of a 35 minute delay!

Dave:[sobbing a bit] 35 minutes I will never forget!

Kevin: You ate 112 of your fellow passangers. You could have eaten just one, but no, you ate a little bit of each passagner.. WHY?!?

Dave: [turing to Judge]Your honor, I am not an experienced cannibal! I did not get on that plane expecting to eat ANYONE! I simply tasted a little of each in the hopes that the next one would taste better! I'm sure your honor has done the same thing with a box of chocolates.

Scott: No, I haven't. My wife does and I hate it when she does that!

Dave: [off camera] Oh.

Scott: I suppose I wouldn't mind so much if I still loved her, but let's face it.... I NEED SOME TIME TO MYSELF!!! [breaks down crying and bangs his gavel] Case dismissed.

Credit to Kids in the Hall/Broadway Video
Old 20th August 2019, 11:39 AM   #73
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It seems the Canadian police know it was suicide because the two youths left a suicide video, which was posted to friends and family beforehand.

What is it with this generation that they cannot do anything without vlogging a 'manifesto' first, to be shared on social media?
Old 20th August 2019, 01:28 PM   #74
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

What is it with this generation that they cannot do anything without vlogging a 'manifesto' first, to be shared on social media?
It's not the generation; it's the 4chan/edgelord subculture.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events