ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th August 2019, 06:56 AM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

The Ultimate Virtue Signal

From Jeremy Coynes Blog

Quote:
The actor Rosanna Arquette, who has become a woke activist, tweeted this out yesterday. When I went back to retrieve it, I found that she had “protected” her Twitter feed so that I couldn’t embed the tweet. Fortunately, someone took a screenshot:

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress...politics-does/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:28 AM   #2
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

She sounds sarcastic.
Old 9th August 2019, 07:34 AM   #3
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Nobody has to apologize for being white. It's quite enough to recognize that being white gives you privileges not available to non-white people, and do your bit to change the system that set this up.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:38 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm probably going to regret this, but "woke activist" what on earth is that?

Plus also a "why should we care what this particular woke activist posted on Twitter?"

May have mentioned it already today but I hate Twitter.
Old 9th August 2019, 07:41 AM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The extreme fringes of Progressivism are always going to come back around to landing on some new variation on "Liberal White Guilt" just with a new name and a new coat of paint.

Leave them be and listen to the sane ones.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:43 AM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

This is the lady who was shocked to be overshadowed by Madonna in a movie in 1985. Her grasp of the zeitgeist may not be quite the firmest.
Old 9th August 2019, 07:48 AM   #7
Francesca R
Girl

She was very good in "After Hours" I still heart that film.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:53 AM   #8
plague311
Great minds think...

Ah, the wife from The Whole Nine Yards. I had to look her up.

She does a terrible French Canadian accent if that makes any difference.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:56 AM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Ah, the wife from The Whole Nine Yards. I had to look her up.

She does a terrible French Canadian accent if that makes any difference.
She's been in a bunch of stuff, some more notable than others. I always get her confused with Rosanna Arquette, which is understandable because they're siblings.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:59 AM   #10
Francesca R
Girl

It's understandable because they are one and the same
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 08:00 AM   #11
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I always get her confused with Rosanna Arquette, which is understandable because they're siblings the same person.
FTFY. Were you thinking of Patricia Arquette?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 08:01 AM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If a sibling is someone who has the same parents as you, then in a way everyone is their own sibling.
Old 9th August 2019, 08:05 AM   #13
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If a sibling is someone who has the same parents as you, then in a way everyone is their own sibling.
Especially if they're from Hadleigh.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 08:07 AM   #14
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Nobody has to apologize for being white. It's quite enough to recognize that being white gives you privileges not available to non-white people, and do your bit to change the system that set this up.
Seconded.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 08:11 AM   #15
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The extreme fringes of Progressivism are always going to come back around to landing on some new variation on "Liberal White Guilt" just with a new name and a new coat of paint.

Leave them be and listen to the sane ones.

Who are the sane ones? The ones who preach conservative white pride?!

I don't agree with Rosanna Arquette at all. It's actually a kind of racist thinking that makes people identify with being white to the extent where they feel ashamed of the despicable behaviour of (some of) the members of 'their' race. It is actually very similar to feeling pride or shame because one of your compatriots did something admirable or despicable. Racism - nationalism/patriotism.

It is not even a good counter example to the pride in 'our' race that white supremacists would like to promote, but the one thing that makes Rosanna Arquette's attitude less obnoxious is that at least it annoys the hell out of white supremacists!
It's funny that the white supremacists immediately see that it is irrational to blame yourself for whatever some idiot does in the name of his race or nationality. But that you can take credit for something that some member of your race or nation (or sex or sexual orientation or ...) did - even though you yourself had nothing whatsoever to do with it - that is self-evident to these morons.

I expect the reactions in this forum to be as usual:
Liberal white guilt: bad!
Conservative white pride: good!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 9th August 2019 at 08:15 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 08:14 AM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Who are the sane ones? The ones who preach conservative white pride?!
Yes the Progressive Conservative White Prideist. Those people. You find them next to the Unicorns and Chupacapbras.

Did you even read my post or just look at one word and go off on an unrelated rant?
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 08:18 AM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
FTFY. Were you thinking of Patricia Arquette?
Like I said, I always get them confused.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 08:36 AM   #18
Francesca R
Girl

Like I said, I always get them confused.
I pointed out your error a full minute before Dave Rogers did. For some reason this was invisible to you. This kind of sexist crap is repeated in households, workplaces, public life and private interaction the world over and has gone on for centuries. A female says something correct or wise or innovative; crickets . . . a male parrots the same thing and it’s oh yes sir very astute thank you for sharing that well done my man.

You exemplify misogyny and whitecismale privilege. It reeks in your post and drips from your words. Your post is a terrorist atrocity. For shame.

#NotSerious #ISaidNotSerious

Last edited by Francesca R; 9th August 2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 9th August 2019, 08:45 AM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The Virtue Signal sounds like something the Commissioner would fire up to summon a really lame Christian superhero. Perhaps Saving Grace, whose power is talking earnestly to criminals and giving them pamphlets. Her nemesis would be the supervillain Original Sin, who never commits exactly the same crime twice. This began as a joke but now I kind of want to see it.
Old 9th August 2019, 08:50 AM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
I pointed out your error a full minute before Dave Rogers did. For some reason this was invisible to you. This kind of sexist crap is repeated in households, workplaces, public life and private interaction the world over and has gone on for centuries. A female says something correct or wise or innovative; crickets . . . a male parrots the same thing and it’s oh yes sir very astute thank you for sharing that well done my man.

You exemplify misogyny and whitecismale privilege. It reeks in your post and drips from your words. Your post is a terrorist atrocity. For shame.

Haha yes! You totally got there first. Dave's post made a better connector for my reply tho. I apologize for deplatforming you/erasing you/unchecking my privilege/literally murdering you but only figuratively but also in a real way/failing to pay reparations

#alsonotserious #whysoserious
Old 9th August 2019, 08:52 AM   #21
Dave Rogers

I pointed out your error a full minute before Dave Rogers did. For some reason this was invisible to you.
And to me, of course. I think you'll find I'm the real villain of this piece, though as a 59 year old middle class white man it was pretty well inevitable.

And, yes, I recognised the sexist implications of the word "pretty" but decided to use it anyway.

Dave (an unambiguously male name).

Old 9th August 2019, 08:52 AM   #22
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

You had me for a moment there!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 08:53 AM   #23
applecorped
Suspended

who?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 08:57 AM   #24
Belz...
Fiend God

I wonder what privileges being white gave me, since I was raised in an all-white area. I also wonder what privileges it's giving me now, given that I'm surrounded by immigrants from all around the world who all make the same income as I do.

I guess maybe generalisations aren't that useful.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 08:59 AM   #25
Belz...
Fiend God

You had me going there. That says a lot about the state of things right now.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:11 AM   #26
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I'm always a bit amused at the concept that I'm white. My belly might be pretty pale, but most of the visible parts of me are a light to medium brown (after 35 years in Arizona). And yes, I recognize that despite that, there is a thing called being white and I am and it's an advantage in society although it shouldn't be.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:22 AM   #27
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Aren't they trying to destroy our culture? Whites are minority in the world (and California) , shouldn't the world be protecting our culture, just like the Hawaiian culture, the First Immigrant Culture, the Maori culture,....

Yankee Culture!
It brought Capitalism to the fore front of the world!
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:24 AM   #28
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Aren't they trying to destroy our culture? Whites are minority in the world (and California) , shouldn't the world be protecting our culture, just like the Hawaiian culture, the First Immigrant Culture, the Maori culture,....

Yankee Culture!
White culture?

What's that?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:47 AM   #29
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

White culture?

What's that?
I'm told it has to do with eating a lot of casseroles.
Old 9th August 2019, 09:50 AM   #30
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I'm told it has to do with eating a lot of casseroles.
There are a host of casseroles in this forum.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 10:15 AM   #31
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I wonder what privileges being white gave me, since I was raised in an all-white area. I also wonder what privileges it's giving me now, given that I'm surrounded by immigrants from all around the world who all make the same income as I do.

I guess maybe generalisations aren't that useful.
Privilege isn't bonuses you get, it's penalties you avoid. That's why it's so easy to be unaware of it. I don't get special treatment in stores, but I don't get followed around as if I'm going to steal something. When I apply for a loan I get it. When I am in a nice neighborhood nobody challenges me for being there. And so forth. White privilege means you never have to consider race at all because it's not a problem for you. It's easy to be "colorblind" if your color doesn't add difficulties to your life, just like people with two working hands don't often consider how difficult things can be for someone with one hand, or none.
Old 9th August 2019, 10:19 AM   #32
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

Yankee Culture!

The Brits brought Capitalism to the forefront of the world before the Yanks took over.
What the rest of the world think they know about Hawaiian culture is probably what they saw in the Elvis movie Blue Hawaii or maybe heard in Bing Crosby's Mele Kalikimaka:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

But I guess they should be viewed as examples of the way that white Western culture needs to be protected from being polluted by these non-white cultural products.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 10:20 AM   #33
dann
Philosopher

Privilege isn't bonuses you get, it's penalties you avoid. That's why it's so easy to be unaware of it. I don't get special treatment in stores, but I don't get followed around as if I'm going to steal something. When I apply for a loan I get it. When I am in a nice neighborhood nobody challenges me for being there. And so forth. White privilege means you never have to consider race at all because it's not a problem for you. It's easy to be "colorblind" if your color doesn't add difficulties to your life, just like people with two working hands don't often consider how difficult things can be for someone with one hand, or none.

Excellent post!
Old 9th August 2019, 10:25 AM   #34
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'd say the Dutch beat the British to modern capitalism. All those leagues and joint-stock things, merchants and burghers: the things that make the history of that area so very dull compared to their contemporaries who were still kings and queens constantly bedded and beheaded.
Old 9th August 2019, 10:43 AM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'd say the Dutch beat the British to modern capitalism. All those leagues and joint-stock things, merchants and burghers: the things that make the history of that area so very dull compared to their contemporaries who were still kings and queens constantly bedded and beheaded.
I'd say the Romans beat everyone, and invented labor unions, to boot.

Just last night I learned about "plebeian secession" in Republican Rome. Apparently whenever the plebs got too disgruntled about the lack of representation in political affairs, they'd leave the city en masse, depriving the patricians of all the vital services the city needed to function. When it comes to labor strikes, Rome seems to have prior art.
Old 9th August 2019, 10:47 AM   #36
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

It’s about time somebody knocked Rosanna Arquette down a peg or two.

Valerie Bertinelli, watch your back.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 10:49 AM   #37
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'd say the Romans beat everyone, and invented labor unions, to boot.

Just last night I learned about "plebeian secession" in Republican Rome. Apparently whenever the plebs got too disgruntled about the lack of representation in political affairs, they'd leave the city en masse, depriving the patricians of all the vital services the city needed to function. When it comes to labor strikes, Rome seems to have prior art.
The keyword was "modern".
Old 9th August 2019, 10:56 AM   #38
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The keyword was "modern".
The more I learn about "ancient" Rome, the more I get surprised at how "modern" they actually were.
Old 9th August 2019, 11:03 AM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

Privilege isn't bonuses you get, it's penalties you avoid.
Isn't that a sort of bonus?

Quote:
That's why it's so easy to be unaware of it.
That sounds like an appeal to ignorance. So many woos are based on the idea that, yeah you can't see it but that's because you don't believe... or because they've got a cloaking device. Telling me that I don't see X because that's exactly what X would entail is not a great way to convince me.

Besides, what privilege would I have as a white person in an all white area?

Old 9th August 2019, 11:08 AM   #40
Mumbles
Philosopher

Saw it, it was irritating. Whether or not she "feels guilty" about being white is of no concern to any nonwhite person. That's her problem to deal with. It's her behavior that's important - and if all she does is sit around blathering about how she feels guilty, it starts to look like someone trying to get out of doing any work.

But having said that...

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I wonder what privileges being white gave me, since I was raised in an all-white area.
Could you depend on police, firemen, and the like? Was your electrical service good? Trash pickup followed a regular schedule? Streets maintained, plowed within, say, 3 days of major snowfall if applicable? If you had/used public transit, did it follow a publicly available schedule? Were businesses blocked from dumping waste (human and industrial) next to schools and playgrounds? Did your schools have up-to-date heating and/or AC? Were they up to standard building codes, or was that at least expected? Did you have access to fresh food to cook?

Because I grew up in a black neighborhood, and we had exactly none of that - in the late 80s to early 90s. And the *early* 80s were even worse.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events