ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 07:35 PM   #2641
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
How could a president put any permanent limits in place? If he did it by executive order, it could be rescinded by the next president. Laws passed by Congress can be repealed. Even amendments can be undone, though unlikely.
In the end, there is really no defense against voters messing up and putting bad people into office. That is Democracy's achilles heel. You can't fix that by any law or rule.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:38 PM   #2642
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Send him a copy of Howard Zin's A People’s History of the United States. I believe he includes a chapter on how unprepared US students are for history classes when they reach college because they've only been taught the fairy tale version.
Howard Zinn's version is just as wonky as the Fairy Tale Version.
He goes to the other extreme.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:42 PM   #2643
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It would be a waste of time. He's one of those who sees everything through a black and white lens; he sees no gray. Libtards=bad America haters, Conservatives=good patriots.
True, but ..as someone who has a Bachelor Degree in History...Zinn's version is pretty black and white also.

Robert Heinlein.
Old Today, 07:43 PM   #2644
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I'm going to give myself half a "I called it" point for the comment on Giuliani. It's kinda a toss up as to where secrets go to die.... Giuliani's brain or Trump's?
Giuliani has gone from America's Mayor to Trump's Chump.

Robert Heinlein.
Old Today, 07:59 PM   #2645
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
In the end, there is really no defense against voters messing up and putting bad people into office. That is Democracy's achilles heel. You can't fix that by any law or rule.
That is what the Electoral College is supposed to prevent.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:05 PM   #2646
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
That is what the Electoral College is supposed to prevent.
How would the Electorial COllge prevent people from voting a bunch of idiots into congress?
My point is ANY Democratic system is vulnerable to the stupidity of voters..and there is no easy fix.

Robert Heinlein.
Old Today, 09:09 PM   #2647
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

How would the Electorial COllge prevent people from voting a bunch of idiots into congress?

My point is ANY Democratic system is vulnerable to the stupidity of voters..and there is no easy fix.
Presidential veto.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:18 PM   #2648
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Howard Zinn's version is just as wonky as the Fairy Tale Version.
He goes to the other extreme.
It's off topic or I'd fight you on this one. Historians are never perfect. But you can't compare a realistic version that may not get everything right with fairy tales like Betsy Ross and Washington's cherry tree.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Today at 09:20 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:32 PM   #2649
llwyd
Critical Thinker

Well, a lot of things in a democracy are fundamentally based on convention, on a kind of a common trust that "that sort of thing cannot be done". Obviously there are laws and courts, checks and balances, but they too are surprisingly largely based on convention too. "If the president does this, the Congress and the courts will prevent him." But what if they don't - the laws still exist, but they are not enforced. This is what is currently happening in many Western states, not just the US. Scary times. And, yes, the fundamental problem is not Trump but the fact that he got elected and is still blindly supported by over 40% of the voters and one of the two major parties. That is simply terrifying.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics