ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 27th January 2020, 02:10 PM   #481
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,299
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Well I find solopsism, in any version, stupid.
Motion seconded. Solipsists still look both ways when crossing the street. I wonder why that is?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 02:13 PM   #482
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,942
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Well I find solopsism, in any version, stupid.

And much like the Watchmaker God or other God built out of Special Pleadings you'll never actually meet a solopsist outside a padded room.

I can entertain something on a purely intellectual level as much as the next person, but when something isn't just detached from the real world but purposely built to be detached from the real world, I really, really fail to see the point.
I'm with you on all of this Joe.

Yep, solopsism is a thought experiment at most.

But there are lots of people who believe in their own special pleadings god or the Watchmaker God. They are all aound us and not in a padded room. In fact, in the US they have us outnumbered.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 02:15 PM   #483
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,942
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Motion seconded. Solipsists still look both ways when crossing the street. I wonder why that is?
Yet, the movie The Matrix was still damn good.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 02:47 PM   #484
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,177
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
The OP rails against the very notion of "a caring god, who takes great interest in our activities" and accuses those who believe it of "Intellectual Shame".

Tut tut, once again you misrepresent what I have said.

To quote Ame Perdue once again:

"But still I hear the Wrangling Sects proclaim
Their Paradises and their Seas of Flame,
Their Holy Ghosts and mystic Trinities.
With no degree of Intellectual Shame."

It is the beliefs in Paradises, Seas of Flame, Holy Ghosts, and Mystic Trinities that I, alongside Ame Perdue find intellectually shameful. The notion of a caring god, who takes great interest in our activities, just sort of leads into the other silly stuff. Some others here might find silliness in what I would just regard with incredulity however.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:01 PM   #485
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,942
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Tut tut, once again you misrepresent what I have said.

To quote Ame Perdue once again:

"But still I hear the Wrangling Sects proclaim
Their Paradises and their Seas of Flame,
Their Holy Ghosts and mystic Trinities.
With no degree of Intellectual Shame."

It is the beliefs in Paradises, Seas of Flame, Holy Ghosts, and Mystic Trinities that I, alongside Ame Perdue find intellectually shameful. The notion of a caring god, who takes great interest in our activities, just sort of leads into the other silly stuff. Some others here might find silliness in what I would just regard with incredulity however.
I don't understand what you mean by the highlighted sentence.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:03 PM   #486
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,299
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yet, the movie The Matrix was still damn good.
Oh I enjoyed that. And the sequels. All one needs is to park one's brain in neutral. That is the nature of fantasy fiction. The notion that the human body can provide sufficient electric power for much of anything is nonsense. Still, it was a fun conceit. Suspension of disbelief is a prerequisite to be a fan of sci-fi or fantasy of any sort. Because it is not real. It merely needs to be briefly plausible.

And that is where religion fails. It is not even vaguely plausible.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:08 PM   #487
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,177
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
That silly nonsense has been totally demolished. I quoted all 3 religious texts of the Abrahamic God which all say, "God created the universe".
What translation are you referring to here?

My King James Version of the Bible talks of God creating Heaven and Earth and other script suggests that Heaven is the place God hangs out - when he is not hiding behind a burning bush or taking a stroll in the Garden of Eden that is.

God seemed to be ignorant about the size and nature of the heavens, as we have descriptions of stars falling to Earth in other scripture.

Just thought I would straighten you out on that point psion. You seem to have your hands full fending off many others, who take issue with your somewhat vague idea of a godly entity.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:09 PM   #488
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,299
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't understand what you mean by the highlighted sentence.
A big spanky god that simultaneously loves us all but hates us all and we are all hellbound unless we grovel seems a tad unlikely, no?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:23 PM   #489
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom
 
Hellbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Posts: 14,281
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
A big spanky god that simultaneously loves us all but hates us all and we are all hellbound unless we grovel seems a tad unlikely, no?


I am the Everyman


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
History does not always repeat itself. Sometimes it just yells "Can't you remember anything I told you?" and lets fly with a club. - John w. Campbell
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:30 PM   #490
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,942
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Oh I enjoyed that. And the sequels. All one needs is to park one's brain in neutral. That is the nature of fantasy fiction. The notion that the human body can provide sufficient electric power for much of anything is nonsense. Still, it was a fun conceit. Suspension of disbelief is a prerequisite to be a fan of sci-fi or fantasy of any sort. Because it is not real. It merely needs to be briefly plausible.

And that is where religion fails. It is not even vaguely plausible.
Yeah, the power principle certainly didn't work, but I was able to suspend disbelief on that. That is the issue with many movies. There usually is a plot hole or even a few. The question is can you ignore the plotholes or some stunt? I can think of a few movies lots of people liked that I hated because because the plotholes were too absurd for me.

The Bible is kind of like that. You have to suspend disbelief. They call that faith. And to them, that is a good thing.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:31 PM   #491
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,177
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't understand what you mean by the highlighted sentence.

Well I think my incredulity does not necessarily mean I think that stuff is silly. That is a further step I think. Mind you the line is blurry at times.

The Mystic Trinity referred to by Perdue is about as silly as you can get, and the efforts of the church over the centuries to make it less comical, have lead to some extraordinary examples of verbal callisthenics.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.

Last edited by Thor 2; 27th January 2020 at 03:41 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:36 PM   #492
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 22,015
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post

An origin for the universe is a consequence of the big bang theory.
So we can add cosmology to the long list of things you either don't understand or distort to suit your opinions.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:38 PM   #493
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 22,015
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And of course psion10 has now moved onto the typical next stage, now talking about a god that no religion posits exists. In other words he is no longer actually talking about a god but a gobblduck.

It's like a history recap, wonder when we will get to the 20th century...
Sounds delicious.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:46 PM   #494
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,942
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
A big spanky god that simultaneously loves us all but hates us all and we are all hellbound unless we grovel seems a tad unlikely, no?
Yeah, that is one of the plotholes. But if I had to pick the worst plotholes of the Bible, I'd have to go with that an all powerful, all knowing god not coming up with a better way to forgive man then raping some Jewish girl and coming to earth as his own son and be tortured to death and rising a day an a half later.

Seems a bit convoluted to me.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:47 PM   #495
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 91,593
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Motion seconded. Solipsists still look both ways when crossing the street. I wonder why that is?
In case she's changed her mind...
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 04:13 PM   #496
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,942
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Well I think my incredulity does not necessarily mean I think that stuff is silly. That is a further step I think. Mind you the line is blurry at times.

The Mystic Trinity referred to by Perdue is about as silly as you can get, and the efforts of the church over the centuries to make it less comical, have lead to some extraordinary examples of verbal callisthenics.
You can blame Athanasius of Alexandria for all that. He's basically the father of Christian apologetics and the Trinity and if he didn't create the Nicene Creed, he inspired it.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 09:43 PM   #497
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 16,289
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay. No less then 3 or 4 people are just not listening to you and mis-interpreting you all in the same way and it's totally not your fault.
It's not surprising that you all put up the same strawman argument. You are all feeding off each other.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, your argument is that God created the Universe . . . .
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"But we can't know for sure, therefore maybe God" is not a strawman it's literally what you are saying.
Yep, totally the same argument.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 09:45 PM   #498
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 16,289
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Please reread the posts that I demonstrated what I had claimed was true.
All you did was quote an opinion piece that basically said "if you change and rearrange the words in the Torah then it shows that the Torah doesn't say that God created the universe".
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975

Last edited by psionl0; 27th January 2020 at 09:48 PM.
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 09:48 PM   #499
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 16,289
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
What translation are you referring to here?

My King James Version of the Bible talks of God creating Heaven and Earth and other script suggests that Heaven is the place God hangs out - when he is not hiding behind a burning bush or taking a stroll in the Garden of Eden that is.

God seemed to be ignorant about the size and nature of the heavens, as we have descriptions of stars falling to Earth in other scripture.

Just thought I would straighten you out on that point psion. You seem to have your hands full fending off many others, who take issue with your somewhat vague idea of a godly entity.
Welcome back to this thread. Please tell me what is wrong with the post of mine that dealt with this issue and I will either clarify it or concede that (according to the bible) God didn't create the universe after all.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975

Last edited by psionl0; 27th January 2020 at 09:49 PM.
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 02:22 AM   #500
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 91,593
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
All you did was quote an opinion piece that basically said "if you change and rearrange the words in the Torah then it shows that the Torah doesn't say that God created the universe".
That is untrue.

You may not be aware of it but the Torah wasn't written in English, so any English version you have read is a translation, and it reads as if you are referring to a rather poor translation into English. Can you give me the source of the translation you are using?

The English translation I am using is the 2001*Richard Elliott Friedman*Commentary on the Torah.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 06:25 AM   #501
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,825
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It's not surprising that you all put up the same strawman argument. You are all feeding off each other.



Yep, totally the same argument.
And now we're getting closer to 15 posts in a row whining about "That's not my argument" instead of just clarifying your argument.

Here, since this is necessary, we'll break it down Barney style.

Me: "There is no God."
You: "You can't say that because of the possibility that God exists."

If that's a "strawman" then you tell me what your line that scene is.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 28th January 2020 at 06:46 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 06:29 AM   #502
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 89,131
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
What information do we have?
Plenty, actually. And on top of the stuff we do know, there are a number of good, informed guesses at how it went down, and the nature of the forces involved.

Now, by now you're thinking that we don't, however, have any sort of certainty, which is why I called them informed guesses, or hypotheses, if you will. But that's not the same thing as having no information, which was your claim.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 06:36 AM   #503
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 89,131
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Why would we prefer one explanation over another?
Body of work.

Quote:
You are again positing about what happened after the big bang. You can't theorize or describe a thing about what went on before that event.
If you knew much about physics, you know that there is no such thing as "before" the beginning of time.

Quote:
I am not arguing that God exists
You were asked if you believed in one. Do you?

Quote:
You can't draw conclusions based on a lack of knowledge.
True, but we have a LOT of knowledge, actually, which argue against the existence of gods.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 06:36 AM   #504
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,825
We also know that "But Goddit!" has been the answer for every single unanswered question ever and has never once been right.

Why should "Goddit!" be an a potential answer we have to consider for whatever unaccounted for variable we're talking about now?

God wasn't behind the last 500 billion doors we opened. He's not gonna be behind the next one.

"The God of the Gaps" is an intellectual dead end, and not even a useful one.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 28th January 2020 at 06:46 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 06:39 AM   #505
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 89,131
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I don't see the need to repeat myself yet again. You are not going to read what I write as long as there is a nice juicy strawman that you can deal with instead.
If not one or two or three but absolutely everyone in the thread "misunderstands" you, then maybe the issue is with you.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 06:47 AM   #506
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,825
Man it's been a while since I had Jabba flashbacks this bad.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 06:55 AM   #507
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 16,289
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That is untrue.

You may not be aware of it but the Torah wasn't written in English, so any English version you have read is a translation, and it reads as if you are referring to a rather poor translation into English. Can you give me the source of the translation you are using?

The English translation I am using is the 2001*Richard Elliott Friedman*Commentary on the Torah.
No doubt, you could find "scholars" who could do the same linguistobatics on the bible and the quran and thus "prove" that nobody believes that God created the universe. Such people are a dime a dozen.

Do you really think that it is clever to argue that a god that doesn't exist rearranged rather than created the universe?
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 06:58 AM   #508
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 16,289
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Plenty, actually. And on top of the stuff we do know, there are a number of good, informed guesses at how it went down, and the nature of the forces involved.

Now, by now you're thinking that we don't, however, have any sort of certainty, which is why I called them informed guesses, or hypotheses, if you will. But that's not the same thing as having no information, which was your claim.
That is totally vague and meaningless. You have no idea what preceded the big bang.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
If not one or two or three but absolutely everyone in the thread "misunderstands" you, then maybe the issue is with you.
No, it's the peanut gallery.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975

Last edited by psionl0; 28th January 2020 at 06:59 AM.
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 07:00 AM   #509
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,825
Ya know for someone who keeps shouting strawman when people just repeat your own arguments back to you, you aren't being very honest in how you represent other people's arguments.

Nobody is claiming that "God didn't create the universe" is a widespread or mainstream religious belief, particularly but not limited to the Abrahamic religions.

You trying to sneak in the "Watchmaker" God, that apologetic nonsense where God creates the universe and just... goes away is what people are calling you out on because that version is NOT a widespread or mainstream religious belief, it's only a theological and argumentative excuse.

You caterwauling "Are you saying Muslims/Jews/Christians don't say God created the universe over and over" as if that's the thing people have the problem with just makes you look dishonest and desperate.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 07:01 AM   #510
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,825
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
No, it's the peanut gallery.
You ever consider being a Trump speechwriter?
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 07:03 AM   #511
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,825
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
That is totally vague and meaningless. You have no idea what preceded the big bang.
"Therefore, maybe God" is still not justified. And you're still screaming about "We don't know maybe God" is somehow a strawman of your position when it's all you keep saying over and over.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 07:38 AM   #512
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 89,131
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
That is totally vague and meaningless.
I'm sorry, I thought you were aware of what we knew about this topic. Didn't you?

Quote:
You have no idea what preceded the big bang.
What part of "there can't be anything that precedes the beginning of time" has you confused, here?

And you're wrong. I have a pretty good idea of the mechanics involved.

Quote:
No, it's the peanut gallery.
What in the blazes are you babbling about? You think the lurkers secretly understand you?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 07:41 AM   #513
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,825
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You think the lurkers secretly understand you?
I'm telling you man I haven't gotten Jabba flashblacks this bad in a minute.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 08:13 AM   #514
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 16,289
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What part of "there can't be anything that precedes the beginning of time" has you confused, here?
That sounds like a very authoritative statement you have made. However, it is your own authority. You probably don't even have a PhD in physics.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 09:02 AM   #515
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 91,593
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
No doubt, you could find "scholars" who could do the same linguistobatics on the bible and the quran and thus "prove" that nobody believes that God created the universe. Such people are a dime a dozen.



Do you really think that it is clever to argue that a god that doesn't exist rearranged rather than created the universe?
You seem to have very little understanding of how translations are done.

I refer you to a well sourced reference for why one of your claims is untrue for some followers of one of the Abrahamic religions and you reject it simply because it shows you were and are wrong about the various gods of those religions.

I don't think any definition from any religion I've ever heard about (for their god or gods) is a clever definition , whether that is a god such as Ganapati or Allah, they are all equally as silly when viewed from an objective viewpoint.

Again you seem very unaware of the myriad of gods that the religions claim exist.

And yes I find your personal definition of god, one that is unlike any god that I've ever heard a religion claim exists as equally silly as Ganapati or Jesus.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 09:14 AM   #516
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,825
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
That sounds like a very authoritative statement you have made. However, it is your own authority. You probably don't even have a PhD in physics.
"There's nothing North of the North Pole."
"Well that's a very authoritative statement you're making."

More and more I'm getting the impression that your reflexive anger is much more about people daring to tell you things then rather or not the thing in question is true or not.

We're dealing with a "How dare people tell me what to think!" persona.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 09:51 AM   #517
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 16,289
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I refer you to a well sourced reference for why one of your claims is untrue for some followers of one of the Abrahamic religions and you reject it simply because it shows you were and are wrong about the various gods of those religions.
I don't take your reference seriously because I have seem many of these "this is the true interpretation of <insert religious text>".

In any case, it doesn't support your assertion that a god that can create a universe is a unique definition of a god that only I make.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 09:59 AM   #518
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 16,289
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"There's nothing North of the North Pole."
"Well that's a very authoritative statement you're making."
Assuming that the definition of "north" is not in dispute, that is an easily tested hypothesis.

OTOH "there is nothing before the beginning of time" is naive and untestable. It doesn't take much thought to realize that saying "the universe suddenly sprang into existence ex-nihilo" is going to create a lot of logical paradoxes (especially if you deny the existence of anything beyond the universe).
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 10:00 AM   #519
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 89,131
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
That sounds like a very authoritative statement you have made. However, it is your own authority.
Not authority. Knowledge. Something you deny exists.

Quote:
You probably don't even have a PhD in physics.
Neither do you, and that means none of us knows anything therefore God is a credible answer. Right?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 10:05 AM   #520
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 89,131
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Assuming that the definition of "north" is not in dispute, that is an easily tested hypothesis.

OTOH "there is nothing before the beginning of time" is naive and untestable.
"Before" REQUIRES time. How can there be a "before" time?

Are you taking the piss, here?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:41 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.