ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th July 2019, 06:35 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Meghan and Harry's private christening for baby Archie causes almighty storm

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/05/europ...ntl/index.html

Quote:
London (CNN) - Britain's Duke and Duchess of Sussex have only been parents for a matter of months but they're already being accused of being over-protective.

Criticism over the pair's decision to keep baby Archie out of the spotlight has been mounting for months. And recent revelations -- that British taxpayers footed a £2.4 million (about $3 million) bill for home renovation, and plans to keep his christening private -- have done little to silence critics.

It's worth noting that royal baptisms have traditionally been private affairs. However in recent years cameras have been allowed to capture the arrivals of the family and their guests. That was certainly the case for all three Cambridge children -- George, Charlotte and Louis -- although they are higher in the line of succession.
So as an outsider looking in at a dynamic I have very little frame of reference to really get a good grip on, it seems the arguments boil down to "We're paying for the whole shebang, we should get to watch it."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:18 AM   #2
ThatGuy11200
Thinker

Ultimately it's the press hoping to make money by releasing special editions with all the photos in. Ordinary people won't be clambering for a public christening.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:21 AM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by ThatGuy11200 View Post
Ultimately it's the press hoping to make money by releasing special editions with all the photos in. Ordinary people won't be clambering for a public christening.
That's really the question I started the thread hoping for an answer to, or at least some context on.

Is this really... a thing? Like on a street level does anyone really care? Of is this just the press drumming some online bickering?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:25 AM   #4
Worm
Master Poster

I know I don't give the tiniest little crap.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:30 AM   #5
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Is this really... a thing? Like on a street level does anyone really care?
No, not in the slightest. Maybe one or two of the Brexit-supporting crypto-fascists at the model railway club might moan about it at tea break, but the vast majority of the population have lives.

Of is this just the press drumming some online bickering?
Yes. If they didn't do that, they'd have to get proper jobs, and they'd probably find out they're even more unemployable than the Royal Family.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:35 AM   #6
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Show me how the wizard pours magic water on the special baby's head to signify his obedience to the sky king!
And what dress his tart of a mother is wearing!
It's common decency!
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:43 AM   #7
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I wouldn't cross the street to attend this christening even if i was asked to. As has been said the majority couldn't give a ****. That same majority deeply resent the lavish spending of money on such affairs but certainly not because they aren't getting to watch.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:45 AM   #8
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Show me how the wizard pours magic water on the special baby's head to signify his obedience to the sky king!
It's common decency!
As much as I don't care about the whole shebang, there is absolutely no need for this.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:47 AM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The National Enquirer has declared that the Queen refused to attend, has disinherited Harry & Co, and said "You're dead to us now".
Old 5th July 2019, 07:54 AM   #10
3point14
Pi

You could buy a lot of guillotines for 2.4 million quid.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:58 AM   #11
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
You could buy a lot of guillotines for 2.4 million quid.
And yeah but you'd be guillotining almost 1.80 billion British Pounds in tourism and land share costs.

The Royal Family makes Great Britain money in the end.
Old 5th July 2019, 08:06 AM   #12
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I'm with you ... in fact I'm not even 80% sure what a "Christening" *IS* ... is it where they hire a Mohel? ...Like in that episode of Seinfeld?
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 08:15 AM   #13
3point14
Pi

And yeah but you'd be guillotining almost 1.80 billion British Pounds in tourism and land share costs.

Cos no-one visits the gardens at Versaille at all...

And, as an aside, my objection to the royal bunch is not primarily financial.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:26 AM   #14
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
This

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:34 AM   #15
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I wouldn't cross the street to attend this christening even if i was asked to. As has been said the majority couldn't give a ****. That same majority deeply resent the lavish spending of money on such affairs but certainly not because they aren't getting to watch.
Oh I don't know, it'll be an open bar and I bet they'll have decent wine to wet the baby's head. Mind you I only ever see the after ceremony party, they don't invite me to the church service. Something about the font bubbling.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:39 AM   #16
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Versailles manages nearly 8 million visitors a year despite the French royal family being... trimmed.

Not advocating it, just saying.

Old 5th July 2019, 10:46 AM   #17
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Or so the rationale goes.

The people making a stink are the tabloid press who have a direct financial interest in taking pictures of royal babies and ceremonies like this.

But, it does seem to be true that such coverage does sell papers and magazines, or whatever the current medium of distribution is.
Old 5th July 2019, 01:36 PM   #18
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

As and American, I confess to being a bit tone deaf on the whole "royalty" thing. To me, they seem a bit like the "club kid" celebrities in Los Angeles, Paris Hilton the Kardashians and such. Famous but just for being them not because they did anything in particular. How seriously does the person on the street take them?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 04:28 PM   #19
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/05/europ...ntl/index.html

So as an outsider looking in at a dynamic I have very little frame of reference to really get a good grip on, it seems the arguments boil down to "We're paying for the whole shebang, we should get to watch it."
The press has had its nose out of joint ever since being kept out of the 'baby shower' and the birth details. They were all crammed along the roads in Windsor waiting for something to happen and somehow the pair snuck out to Central London without anyone noticing a thing. This led to a belief there was something 'dodgy' about the birth given the lengths gone to keep it secret. Plus they presented the baby at Windsor Castle and not Frogmore Cottage, adding to the belief they were not living there (yet). On doing the camera call, the pair banned press photographers and allowed just one, their own.

Add to that Instagram shots of the baby's feet and half a face, the press are well and truly peeved.

So now the press has been told the Christening is also 'private', no press or film crew allowed, other than the couple' own personal photographer who will release a picture or two later, no doubt being careful to obscure Archie's full face.
Old 5th July 2019, 04:31 PM   #20
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The National Enquirer has declared that the Queen refused to attend, has disinherited Harry & Co, and said "You're dead to us now".
I didn't know the Queen was Jewish...?
Old 5th July 2019, 04:36 PM   #21
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Not that clichéd hoary old chestnut. It runs along the lines of 'So what if they buy dresses for £50K or even £500K because they bring in the tourists'.

Of course,they need to be well-presented in public but there is zero reason to be profligate and extravagant.

Look what happened to the grotesquely decadant and lavish spenders, Tsar Nicolas II and his greedy wife and family: ended up with the starving peasants rising up and shooting them.
Old 5th July 2019, 04:54 PM   #22
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
It's common decency!
The Queen is the Defender of the Faith and the Archbishop Justin Welby is to perfom the royal christening. It is an important - and some argue it should be public (given deaths, births, marriages and christenings are all available in the Public Records Office) - occasion insofar as it represents British constitution as being Anglican as opposed to Roman Catholic in particular. Hundreds of years of blood shed, destruction of monastaries and convents, burning of martyrs and heretics has brought it into the realm of being in the remit of the Sovereign monarch.

Brits who understand how the system works are appalled by the idea Harry and Meghan can cock a snook at hundreds of years of tradition. If that's what they are doing. It could be they have 'the hump' because their kid was not conferred the title of 'Prince', and it's their way of saying, '**** you!'

Last edited by Vixen; 5th July 2019 at 04:56 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:02 PM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I liked the old American tradition of leaving head of state's children alone. But then, our heads of state are working politicians, not hereditary mascots. So it's probably a little different for the Ukians.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:05 PM   #24
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I liked the old American tradition of leaving head of state's children alone. But then, our heads of state are working politicians, not hereditary mascots. So it's probably a little different for the Ukians.
How do you explain Ivanka..?
Old 5th July 2019, 05:12 PM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
What's to explain?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 08:31 PM   #26
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Adult children are fair game. So are black children, as seen in the deranged right's repeated false stories about Obama's family.
Old 6th July 2019, 12:49 AM   #27
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Meghan and Harry's private christening for baby Archie causes almighty storm
The newspapers bitching about it doesn't make it a "storm." Ordinary people couldn't care less.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 12:59 AM   #28
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
The newspapers bitching about it doesn't make it a "storm." Ordinary people couldn't care less.
And bitching about the cost of renovations to their crib is a beat up as well, as the building had been earmarked for renovations 6 months prior to their taking up residence there. Interior decoration comes out of their personal allowance.

So while the public’s tax pounds paid for it, the cash was already paid to the Royals, so no extra burden on the public purse. Just the usual annual burden.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 01:01 AM   #29
Information Analyst
Philosopher

It is an important - and some argue it should be public (given deaths, births, marriages and christenings are all available in the Public Records Office)
1) Public Record Office, which it hasn't been since 2003
2) It's now the National Archives
3) BMD certs are not - and never have been - held there
4) They're at the General Register Office
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 01:04 AM   #30
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
So while the public’s tax pounds paid for it, the cash was already paid to the Royals, so no extra burden on the public purse. Just the usual annual burden.
Mistaken/misleading statement is mistaken/misleading. As usual. I can't be arsed going over this ground again.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 6th July 2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old 6th July 2019, 01:05 AM   #31
3point14
Pi

Brits who understand how the system works are appalled by the idea Harry and Meghan can cock a snook at hundreds of years of tradition. If that's what they are doing. It could be they have 'the hump' because their kid was not conferred the title of 'Prince', and it's their way of saying, '**** you!'

I can assure you that the above is bollocks.

Old 6th July 2019, 01:13 AM   #32
EHocking
Philosopher

Mistaken/misleading statement is mistaken/misleading. As usual. I can't be arsed going over this ground again.
Then we needn’t be arsed to your objection seriously.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 03:16 AM   #33
ThatGuy11200
Thinker

The Queen is the Defender of the Faith and the Archbishop Justin Welby is to perfom the royal christening. It is an important - and some argue it should be public (given deaths, births, marriages and christenings are all available in the Public Records Office) - occasion insofar as it represents British constitution as being Anglican as opposed to Roman Catholic in particular. Hundreds of years of blood shed, destruction of monastaries and convents, burning of martyrs and heretics has brought it into the realm of being in the remit of the Sovereign monarch.

Are we? That's news to me.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 03:20 AM   #34
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by ThatGuy11200 View Post
Are we? That's news to me.
That'll be because the statement is grade A bollocks and bears no resemblance to reality.

Old 6th July 2019, 03:40 AM   #35
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You and your facts!
Old 6th July 2019, 04:24 AM   #36
bluesjnr

That would be at New Register House in the custody of the Registrar General for Scotland for some of us (seeing as we're picking people up on a dropped "s") .

Old 6th July 2019, 04:31 AM   #37
Samson
Philosopher

Meghan Markle is a highly successful gold digger from hell
Just saying.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 05:01 AM   #38
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Just saying.
Harry, as nice and as dim as he is, must have seen her coming from a mile off, having been round the block himself quite a few times, with literally scores of ex-girlfriends, not to mention being warned by friends, family and advisers.

So I don't hold the fact Meghan is gold digger supreme with a track record against them as she is Harry's choice and it's great to see him happy. However, he is a member of the Royal Family and should honour tradition. The couple should not be making life difficult for the Queen who must be very upset by their shenanigans, what with Philip nearing the end of life and all the cloak and dagger nonsense with Archie.

Meghan seems to enjoy winding up the traditionalists. If we are going to have a royal family, we expect the pomp and circumstance that goes with it.
Old 6th July 2019, 05:04 AM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Just saying.
I think you will find it is the other way around, apart from any salary earned when he was playing at being a soldier he simply lives of handouts and welfare payments. She's been a high profile actress probably easily pulling down a half a million dollars a year.
Old 6th July 2019, 05:49 AM   #40
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think you will find it is the other way around, apart from any salary earned when he was playing at being a soldier he simply lives of handouts and welfare payments. She's been a high profile actress probably easily pulling down a half a million dollars a year.
Harry is the gold digger? Nope. He is the direct descendant of the current and past monarch.

Meghan was only a support actress in a supporting role in a cable channel series.

Sh got rich by suing for a handsome divorce settlement from her last husband, Trevor. It's doubtful she had assets of more than $2m at most when she came to England looking for her next rich husband. These days, being a millionaire is commonplace and doesn't mean a vast amount of money in particular.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics