IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags podcast , randi , robert lancaster , sylvia browne

Old 11th June 2021, 12:55 PM   #1
grunion
Philosopher

"Swindled" on Miss Cleo and Sylvia Browne

I've been really enjoying this podcast for the past couple of months and went back into the archives to find this episode that may be of interest to long time denizens of this forum and its prior incarnation. The podcaster generally does a great job at deep dives to swindles both big and small. His treatment of Sylvia's frauds is quite good and both Randi and Robert Lancaster get a mention.

https://swindledpodcast.com/podcasts...2-the-psychic/
Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2021, 06:43 PM   #2
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Look forward to it. Just subscribed
Old 15th June 2021, 12:38 PM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, the good old days of Miss Cleo.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 08:14 AM   #4
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Thanks for the podcast recommendation!

Im burning through the archives. Love the presentation style and the subject matter. Subscribed.
Old 20th June 2021, 05:44 PM   #5
grunion
Philosopher

So many episodes really have gotten to me. Among them
Bhopal
Kids for Cash
Nestle
Ryan White and Bayer AG
Bud Dwyer
Tony Kiritsis
Karen Silkwood
Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 02:56 PM   #6
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

I checked out the "Swindled" site.

It. is. HORRIBLE.

I can't emphasize this enough. It is one of the worst designed web sites I've come across in a long time.

NO, we won't give you an easy to peruse list of podcasts we've produced. We're going to force you tap or click on a limited collection of mystery meat icons so you can see what's behind them. For crying out loud ... that's what an HTML <table> is for!

The "Episodes" page is no better. It gives a limited list of episodes and only their titles: no indication what the episode is about. Do I want to see more episodes? Click "More" and wait for their idiot animation to complete ... to give me all of SIXTEEN additional items.

Clicking on the hamburger icon causes the entire page to disappear into a sea of red with four little items on it.

When I used their contact page to let them know my opinion of their site, I got "There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later."

I don't know if the podcast is any good. But their web site is a steaming pile of bovine feces put together by some idiot wanking "designer" who has no freaking clue about usability or user friendliness. Based on that I'm prepared to write off the podcast itself as well.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 03:42 PM   #7
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I checked out the "Swindled" site.

It. is. HORRIBLE.

I can't emphasize this enough. It is one of the worst designed web sites I've come across in a long time.

NO, we won't give you an easy to peruse list of podcasts we've produced. We're going to force you tap or click on a limited collection of mystery meat icons so you can see what's behind them. For crying out loud ... that's what an HTML <table> is for!

The "Episodes" page is no better. It gives a limited list of episodes and only their titles: no indication what the episode is about. Do I want to see more episodes? Click "More" and wait for their idiot animation to complete ... to give me all of SIXTEEN additional items.

Clicking on the hamburger icon causes the entire page to disappear into a sea of red with four little items on it.

When I used their contact page to let them know my opinion of their site, I got "There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later."

I don't know if the podcast is any good. But their web site is a steaming pile of bovine feces put together by some idiot wanking "designer" who has no freaking clue about usability or user friendliness. Based on that I'm prepared to write off the podcast itself as well.
I checked. You are correct. A true triumph of Form Over Function and terrible form at that. Try the KISS PrincipleWP folks.
Old 2nd July 2021, 06:03 PM   #8
grunion
Philosopher

I have never been to the Swindled website, or that of any podcast I follow. It is as irrelevant to their podcast as their Instagram or MySpace page might be. Different medium.
Old 2nd July 2021, 10:30 PM   #9
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
I have never been to the Swindled website, or that of any podcast I follow. It is as irrelevant to their podcast as their Instagram or MySpace page might be. Different medium.
While there are cautions about judging a book by its cover, their web site was my second point of contact for them (your link lauding their content was the first.) It left a terrible first impression. I'm left with the question, "If their website is so clueless and user-hostile, what's the podcast like?"

I'll download an episode to see if it's better than the web site. To their credit, they have that option for each episode.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2021, 07:10 AM   #10
grunion
Philosopher

While there are cautions about judging a book by its cover, their web site was my second point of contact for them (your link lauding their content was the first.) It left a terrible first impression. I'm left with the question, "If their website is so clueless and user-hostile, what's the podcast like?"

I'll download an episode to see if it's better than the web site. To their credit, they have that option for each episode.
There are many podcast aggregators and broadcast apps that make it easy to find podcasts and episodes, read reviews/descriptions, download, and subscribe. I used to use iTunes until it got insanely complex to do something simple (talk about form over function, sheesh.) Nowadays I mostly use Spotify.
Old 31st July 2021, 10:47 AM   #11
Reformed Offlian
Muse

I didn't particularly enjoy his podcasts as a listening experience, either. His delivery is soft and monotone. The writing is dry and straightforward. If you are already interested in the subject matter, it's fine. Informative and useful, I guess.

ETA I think "pedestrian" is more the word I was looking for than "straightforward." Nothing wrong with being straightforward.

Last edited by Reformed Offlian; 31st July 2021 at 10:56 AM.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 09:13 PM   #12
Senex
Philosopher

A Sylvia look alike swindled me.

I had a sad day once because I lost a fortune in the stock market. I was on a bridge thinking. This Sylvia look alike walked up to me and said she had magic powers. She was very unattractive but I was desperate. She said if I went back to her place and did what she asked she would make me whole again through magic.

I did everything she asked. When it was over I asked when I could expect to become whole. She said, "Aren't you a little old to believe in magic."
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts