IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th November 2021, 12:52 AM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Democrats and Inequality

This video from the New York Times is pretty damning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNDgcjVGHIw

Quote:
It’s easy to blame the other side. And for many Democrats, it’s obvious that Republicans are thwarting progress toward a more equal society.

But what happens when Republicans aren’t standing in the way?

In many states — including California, New York and Illinois — Democrats control all the levers of power. They run the government. They write the laws. And as we explore in the video above, they often aren’t living up to their values.

In key respects, many blue states are actually doing worse than red states. It is in the blue states where affordable housing is often hardest to find, there are some of the most acute disparities in education funding and economic inequality is increasing most quickly.

Instead of asking, “What’s the matter with Kansas?” Democrats need to spend more time pondering, “What’s the matter with California?”
Old 15th November 2021, 01:47 AM   #2
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Boy, I bet that's going down like a cup of cold sick.
Old 15th November 2021, 02:54 AM   #3
Susheel
Master Poster

From what I read and see...seems right. The social aspects of governance seems to have been completely left to rust away in the US.
Old 15th November 2021, 05:54 AM   #4
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Checks out, though.

It's one thing to say you want to end inequality, quite another to welcome riff-raff into your gated neighborhood.
Old 15th November 2021, 06:37 AM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's another showcase of how the Democratic Party is not a single party, but a loose association of many: some of Democrats are happy with the way things are and only care about reelection.
Old 15th November 2021, 07:50 AM   #6
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Democrats aren't well organized."

//Deadpan// Wow what a truth bomb. It's not like 50 billion played out one liners already exist to say the same thing. This a paradigm shift on the level of Relativity or Quantum Dynamics. Please wait while I smack my gob and totally adjust my world view for this new and shocking information.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 08:37 AM   #7
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

If there's one thing I know about Democrats, it's this: Unlike the Republicans, they aren't actively trying to kill me.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 08:39 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
If there's one thing I know about Democrats, it's this: Unlike the Republicans, they aren't actively trying to kill me.
And they aren't factually wrong about literally everything and proud of it.

I don't know about you but that's two pretty big check marks in the plus column.

My only point was I'm fairly confident in saying that "Democrats aren't exactly masters of political organization" is shocking to exactly zero people.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 08:55 AM   #9
Donal
Illuminator

NIMBY liberalism isn't some revelation. It's surprising the Times is putting it front and center, though. The cynic in me thinks it's just an attempt to reach out to what they perceive as an exodus of right-wingers. and attempt to "reach across the aisle".

But, there has been a growing hope in me that the voices that want to force the leadership in the party to actually hold to their stated values are finally breaking through.
Old 15th November 2021, 09:27 AM   #10
crescent
Illuminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNDgcjVGHIw
Is there a transcript for those who don't want to sit through a video?

Michael Shellenberger's San Fransicko seems to delve into some of this pretty deeply - the large homeless camps in many cities, the inter-relationships between mental health, drug addiction, and homelessness and how current liberal/progressive dogma on some of those issues may be doing more harm than good. This in cities and states with strong, largely unchallenged Democratic leadership, often from the left wing of the party.

Or so I get from reading Shellenberger's facebook posts and tweets - I have not yet read the book but am thinking of getting it. He comes across as a bit of a contrarian, but one who comes from a more left of center worldview, like Michael Moore or Bill Maher. I mean, when he tears down the left, he seems to view that as working to improve his own side rather than to tear down the other side - maybe. He's a bit on the edge of some things.

Last edited by crescent; 15th November 2021 at 09:29 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 09:33 AM   #11
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Or so I get from reading Shellenberger's facebook posts and tweets - I have not yet read the book but am thinking of getting it.
He's also on a Joe Rogan episode in case you didn't know. I haven't read the book, but I saw a bit of the podcast, and I've actually lived in San Fransicko for about 20 years so I'm familiar with the subject matter.
Old 15th November 2021, 09:51 AM   #12
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent;13655746 This in cities and states with strong, largely unchallenged Democratic leadership, [B
often from the left wing of the party.[/b]
I think that is very debatable. Even big, commie, liberal, progressive Utopias like NYC and SF don't really vote in progressives. They are still very much in the hands of moderates/centrists.

While they may give lip service to progressives, in the end, they still route things back to neoliberalism.
Old 15th November 2021, 10:00 AM   #13
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
But, there has been a growing hope in me that the voices that want to force the leadership in the party to actually hold to their stated values are finally breaking through.
Party leadership don't actually get much of a say in local zoning, at least not in the examples from the video.

To move past NIMBYism, we have to work from the grassroots up.

Last edited by d4m10n; 15th November 2021 at 10:01 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 10:41 AM   #14
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Party leadership don't actually get much of a say in local zoning, at least not in the examples from the video.

To move past NIMBYism, we have to work from the grassroots up.
True, but they do have a big say in messaging. They can push for a change in culture. And maybe not go out of their way to shank actual progressive movements and candidates.
Old 15th November 2021, 11:04 AM   #15
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Was true then, is true now.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 01:32 PM   #16
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNDgcjVGHIw...

Quote:
But what happens when Republicans aren’t standing in the way?
Don't have the time or frame of mind to watch the video right now, but where is this true?
Old 15th November 2021, 02:00 PM   #17
Cain
Straussian

I almost created a thread about it a couple of days ago, but I've been too busy. Democrats are hypocrites, although I don't think the video notes that California has the most progressive state income tax in the country. There's also the issue of a race-to-the-bottom, which makes it difficult to effect change at the state and local levels. New Jersey used to collect tens of millions in taxes from a hedge fund guy, but he eventually flew south to Florida. You're also going to see more inequality where there's more advanced capitalism -- and that's in cities. The San Francisco Bay Area has a bigger economy than 90% of states.

As for the housing crisis, the traditional solution in California was to build further and further out and have people drive to work, but the freeways are too congested. There was also a provocative article in The Atlantic a few weeks ago about new meth fueling the homelessness crisis.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 05:05 PM   #18
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Don't have the time or frame of mind to watch the video right now, but where is this true?
Any state where the Democrats control all the levers of power: the governorship, the state legislature, major city governments. California, Washington and Illinois are among the states mentioned. Washington State in particular has the most regressive tax system in the country. More regressive than any red state.
Old 15th November 2021, 06:50 PM   #19
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

It's worth considering the fact that these States are all pay a lot of Federal tax yet receive comparatively little Federal spending in return. From 2015 - 2019
New York paid $142 billion more in taxes than it received in Federal spending, California paid $43 billion more, and Illinois paid $16 billion more.

In comparison Texas Received $60 billion more than int spend, Florida received $183 billion more than it spent and Kentucky received $211 billion more than it spent.

On top of that Republican States have a pretty consistent track record of exporting their social problems so they need to be paid for by someone else, which usually means a Democratic State.
Old 15th November 2021, 07:20 PM   #20
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Any state where the Democrats control all the levers of power: the governorship, the state legislature, major city governments. California, Washington and Illinois are among the states mentioned. Washington State in particular has the most regressive tax system in the country. More regressive than any red state.
That's a comparison of low to high incomes and which level pays the most taxes. And it shows that the top earners, the millionaire and billionaire class, manages to pay just one tenth the rate of lower income earners. So yes, the tax burden is greatly skewed downwards.

Of course, it might be a different measure if certain residents of Washington state paid their tax bills. Let's look at the top 10 companies based there based on number of employees:

Amazon.com
Starbucks
Costco Wholesale
Providence Health & Services
Barrett Business Services
Nordstrom
Microsoft
T-Mobile US
The Hotel Group
Avanade

Top of the list is the USA's worst serial tax dodger...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 08:01 PM   #21
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

In other words, the biggest cities are where the riches people live, which makes the gap between the richest and poorest bigger there, with the predictably associated differences in school district funding. (And another direct result of having the richest people & companies there is more political bribery because there's more money to bribe politicians with.)

...Just like the fact that housing is more expensive there because that's where are more people but less space to house them in...

Righties' claims about things being worse in "Democrat-run" cities always boil down to simple geography & demography, not policy or culture.

Last edited by Delvo; 15th November 2021 at 08:03 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 08:37 PM   #22
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
In other words, the biggest cities are where the riches people live, which makes the gap between the richest and poorest bigger there, with the predictably associated differences in school district funding.
Why would we choose to tie school funding to the local tax base, when we could allocate resources equitably across the entire city?
Old 16th November 2021, 05:34 AM   #23
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

"Everything Democrats try to do is Socialism!"
to
"Democrats aren't as Socialist as we think!"

With nary an introspective glance in between.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 05:51 AM   #24
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
to
I'd be awfully surprised to see the first quote (or anything substantively similar) from NYT Opinion, but the second one seems about right.

Last edited by d4m10n; 16th November 2021 at 05:53 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 06:12 AM   #25
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Why would we choose to tie school funding to the local tax base, when we could allocate resources equitably across the entire city?
Because some people hate the notion that their money is going to someone else's benefit.
Old 16th November 2021, 06:42 AM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
to

With nary an introspective glance in between.
As we often note from far away both the USA parties are right wing parties, one is a conservative right-wing party the other is a liberal right-wing party. And "liberal" is not a synonym for "socialist".

That the liberal one isn't - quite - as dysfunctional as the conservative one also doesn't mean they don't want right-wing policies.
Old 16th November 2021, 02:26 PM   #27
Tero
Master Poster

Oh that guy. Zoning has very little to do with parties. The poverty does exist in cities and there is a housing problem. But neither party would support crowded apartment/condo housing European style. It is the voters in those areas that resist it. Both parties. They think apartment buildings turn an area into a slum.

Apartment houses in the red states are 2-3 story units. We have a cluster of them a mile from my house. Right by the Walmart and fast foods. Town house apartments with your own garage are preferred. Our city has 250 000 people.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/

Last edited by Tero; 16th November 2021 at 02:27 PM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 04:09 AM   #28
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
As we often note from far away both the USA parties are right wing parties, one is a conservative right-wing party the other is a liberal right-wing party. And "liberal" is not a synonym for "socialist".

That the liberal one isn't - quite - as dysfunctional as the conservative one also doesn't mean they don't want right-wing policies.
However, the liberal right-wing does work hard to ensure that the more progressive voices are effectively muffled and constantly told to "be nice," while coddling the kooks on the other side.
Old 18th November 2021, 04:18 AM   #29
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
However, the liberal right-wing does work hard to ensure that the more progressive voices are effectively muffled and constantly told to "be nice," while coddling the kooks on the other side.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics