IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st September 2021, 02:58 PM   #401
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I smell a certain amount of "I am so morally superior to all you people" in this thread.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 02:59 PM   #402
Warbler
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Do you have sympathy for anyone who deliberately kills others in in a horrible way in large numbers?
I think their refusal to get vaccinated and/or wear masks is reprehensible.

But somehow, I don't think it right to "rub it in" to those anti-vaxxers/anti-maskers that died of covid.

Again, maybe it is just the manners I was raised with.
Warbler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 02:59 PM   #403
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
and you really think calling dead GOP politicians whom are anti-vaxxers and/or anti-maskers, dumb***es is going to help? Somehow, don't see it as helping. It just disrespectful of the dead. I think the point can be made using better wording. Or maybe it was just the way I was raised.
1. As Thaiboxerken said, the dead don't care.

2. Not all dead are deserving of respect. I have zero respect for Timothy McVeigh, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, Mohammad Atta etc? Do you respect these people and those like them?

3. People who die through their own moronic refusal to wear a mask, or take the vaccine (almost always Trump-loving Repugnicans) gets them killed, deserve all the derision and grave-dancing that comes their way. They were stupid, they could have avoided death by simple measures but were too brainwashed by their cult leaders. Additionally, they were not only stupid, but they were selfish, they put people around them in danger.

**** them! The unvaccinated are a breeding ground for new variants... and sooner or later, left unchecked, a variant could arise that will combine a high R0 and high mortality rate, and that our current vaccines may not be able to cope with - and if you think 4½ million deaths world-wide is bad, you won't have seen anything yet.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 21st September 2021 at 03:06 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 03:00 PM   #404
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And I see nothing wrong with having Schenfreude about a lot of morons who brough their fate on themselves with their stupidity, and endangered others lwhile doing it.
I smell a certain amount of "I am so morally superior to all you people" in this thread.

carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 03:19 PM   #405
Warbler
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
1. As Thaiboxerken said, the dead don't care.

2. Not all dead are deserving of respect. I have zero respect for Timothy McVeigh, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, Mohammad Atta etc? Do you respect these people and those like them?

3. People who die through their own moronic refusal to wear a mask, or take the vaccine (almost always Trump-loving Repugnicans) gets them killed, deserve all the derision and grave-dancing that comes their way. They were stupid, they could have avoided death by simple measures but were too brainwashed by their cult leaders. Additionally, they were not only stupid, but they were selfish, they put people around them in danger.

**** them! The unvaccinated are a breeding ground for new variants... and sooner or later, left unchecked, a variant could arise that will combine a high R0 and high mortality rate, and that our current vaccines may not be able to cope with - and if you think 4½ million deaths world-wide is bad, you won't have seen anything yet.
*sigh* I tried. I will give up now.
Warbler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 03:20 PM   #406
Warbler
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Nor wrong.
agree to disagree.
Old 21st September 2021, 03:30 PM   #407
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I’m fed up with dealing with anti-vaxxers. I have no pity for them, only those they infect, albeit those people are often unvaccinated themselves. I’m done being nice. Roll your eyes if you want, rend your shirt if you want, grab you fainting couch if you want but I am done with giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Yesterday, right-wingers were declaring that liberals had gaslighted conservatives into not taking the vaccine (Brietbart), today Project Veritas is declaring a single anecdote form a RN about two deaths is proof the vaccine is killing us all. It’s ridiculous, you cannot reason with these people and I am done pretending it’s not satisfying when they get hoist on their own petard given that they will cause more deaths with all the variants they are nursing.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 03:32 PM   #408
crescent
Illuminator

I think their refusal to get vaccinated and/or wear masks is reprehensible.

But somehow, I don't think it right to "rub it in" to those anti-vaxxers/anti-maskers that died of covid.

Again, maybe it is just the manners I was raised with.
I only rub it in when it is the influential people dying from their own bad choices - the politicians, political commentators, preachers and the like. They spread the lies and people eat up the lies and make the choices that kill them. I have some sympathy for the gullible followers who mostly only harm themselves.

But not an iota of sympathy for the leaders who were dumb enough to drink their own kool-aide. People died from taking the falsehoods these people peddle, and the world is better off once those influences are dead and can do no more harm. They did more harm than good in their lives.

The "smart" ones are the Tucker Carlson's of the world, who get the vaccine but never admit to it and keep preaching against it. They get to have their cake and eat it too, no matter how many die from eating up their B.S.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 03:35 PM   #409
Warp12
Master Poster

It isn't coming from me. I decided to lower my standards, instead.
Old 21st September 2021, 04:59 PM   #410
mgidm86
Philosopher

While I can't stand anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers and I agree with mask and vaccine mandates, I find the title of this thread disrespectful.

I think they get the exact amount of respect that they deserve. Their actions kill people.

Desantis isn't dead yet, but that guy should be executed for the amount of death he is responsible for. I don't give a damn what his family may think about that. Some things are way more important.

The people of Florida would be within the bounds of good taste and righteousness if they beheaded the son of a bitch in a public square. I might even consider it their duty at some point.

Stop feeding the trolls PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mgidm86; 21st September 2021 at 05:04 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 05:08 PM   #411
Warbler
Critical Thinker

just in case anyone missed it:
Old 21st September 2021, 05:09 PM   #412
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
The "smart" ones are the Tucker Carlson's of the world, who get the vaccine but never admit to it and keep preaching against it. They get to have their cake and eat it too, no matter how many die from eating up their B.S.
Have you heard his latest utterly bat-**** crazy conspiracy theory about the vaccine mandates? Like, I didn't think it was possible for his theories to get any more loony than they already were...but here it is...

Carlson -
"the point of mandatory vaccination is to identify the sincere Christians in the ranks, the "free thinkers", "the men with high testosterone levels and anyone else who does not love Joe Biden and make them leave immediately. It's it's a takeover of the US military".

Yes, I kid you not!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 05:13 PM   #413
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

We didn't miss it. We noted it for future reference... it means you have no answer!
Old 21st September 2021, 05:53 PM   #414
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

I don't. Playing nice with the ANitvax morons just does not work.
And that is another problem I have with of Liberals/Progressives. They don't know when the kinder gentler apporach just does not work, and stronger steps is required.
And I see nothing wrong with having Schenfreude about a lot of morons who brough their fate on themselves with their stupidity, and endangered others lwhile doing it.
As far as the Covid goes, No More Mr Nice Guy.
Agree.
The point this crowd never addresses is that their Anti-Vax freedumbs spreads this deadly disease. Their self-centered selfishness is infecting innocent bystanders, and killing some of them.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 05:59 PM   #415
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

and you really think calling dead GOP politicians whom are anti-vaxxers and/or anti-maskers, dumb***es is going to help? Somehow, don't see it as helping. It just disrespectful of the dead. I think the point can be made using better wording. Or maybe it was just the way I was raised.
Darwin award candidates, the lot of them.
Different from a tragic rocket powered lawn mower incident in that they are also removing others from the gene pool.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 06:07 PM   #416
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

If each of these "Freedumb" screeching media types walked into a crowd wearing an Al Quaida-style suicide-bomb vest and pulled the pin killing dozens of other innocent bystanders, would anyone have any sympathy for them at all? Anyone? Sympathy for those killed, but the one guy who pulled the pin?

Because that is EXACTLY what they are doing with with their anti-vaxx hysteria. Not just killing themselves but dozens of innocents around them.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 06:15 PM   #417
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Have you heard his latest utterly bat-**** crazy conspiracy theory about the vaccine mandates? Like, I didn't think it was possible for his theories to get any more loony than they already were...but here it is...

Carlson -
"the point of mandatory vaccination is to identify the sincere Christians in the ranks, the "free thinkers", "the men with high testosterone levels and anyone else who does not love Joe Biden and make them leave immediately. It's it's a takeover of the US military".

Yes, I kid you not!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Just when I think Tucker can't get any more stupid or disgusting, he goes and proves me wrong. Are we sure Tucker isn't Donnie's love child? I want a DNA test!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 09:41 PM   #418
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
It isn't coming from me. I decided to lower my standards, instead.
Did you have to dig very deep?
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:59 AM   #419
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Your error is that you somehow think "respect" is owed or deserved by default. It isn't. Respect must be earned.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:34 PM   #420
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Your error is that you somehow think "respect" is owed or deserved by default. It isn't. Respect must be earned.
I disagree. It's the exact opposite. If you don't give respect at first, then by default you disrespect everyone until they've somehow 'earned' it in your eyes. Respect isn't earned; it's lost. I respect someone I meet until they show me they don't deserve it.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 01:16 PM   #421
Warbler
Critical Thinker

We didn't miss it. We noted it for future reference... it means you have no answer!
If that is what you think, you are reading too much into what I said.
Old 22nd September 2021, 06:53 PM   #422
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I disagree. It's the exact opposite. If you don't give respect at first, then by default you disrespect everyone until they've somehow 'earned' it in your eyes. Respect isn't earned; it's lost. I respect someone I meet until they show me they don't deserve it.
I mostly agree. Up front, I will respect whatever person at face value. I will play as it lays.

When the bias gets wheeled out it becomes an entirely different game of a sudden.

When my eldest came out as trans, he was terrified that somehow I would be insanely mad. and disappointed that I merely said "OK then"

I think I did the right thing, because the loon went on to single handed change the school dress code. Ooo, girls can now wear trews. Instead of skirts.

At this point, I have lost track of "you did the who in the what now?" questions. Nothing surprises me any more.

TBH I am cheering the lunatic on at every step.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 04:47 AM   #423
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
The good news is both sides are working to increase the vaccination rate: the pro-vax are doing it on the numerator side, while the anti-vaxxers work on the denominator.

That comes off rather like the IQ riddle. Every time one of these intentionally unvaccinated morons snuffs it, they increase the average IQ of the whole country!
Old 23rd September 2021, 04:57 AM   #424
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
So a COVID-denying Medicine Hat city councillor died of COVID and people are mad at the Medicine Hat News for reporting it.

This is a city with a population of 68,000 and 687 active cases.

Almost 50 people have died, but yeah let’s get mad at the local paper
https://twitter.com/JeremyAppel1025/...09131841662985

Right wing backlash at the paper reporting the factual instances of covid deaths in the small town has lead to the article being pulled. Link is now dead:

https://medicinehatnews.com/news/202...election-dies/

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 23rd September 2021 at 04:58 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 05:20 AM   #425
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningLong derail into the doctrine of certain Christians moved to AAH. If you wish to discuss that subject please do so in a thread where it will be on topic.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
Old 23rd September 2021, 06:10 AM   #426
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
https://twitter.com/JeremyAppel1025/...09131841662985

Right wing backlash at the paper reporting the factual instances of covid deaths in the small town has lead to the article being pulled. Link is now dead:

https://medicinehatnews.com/news/202...election-dies/
Link with essentially the same story from a Calgary news outlet, also in Alberta

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/medicine-...dies-1.5596117

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd September 2021 at 06:12 AM.
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:30 AM   #427
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

While I can't stand anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers and I agree with mask and vaccine mandates, I find the title of this thread disrespectful.
It's okay. The GOP loves straight talk and hates political correctness. They like someone who tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat it.

It's just a shame shemp didn't include some locker room talk. Boys will be boys, after all.
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:38 AM   #428
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
They have had two years to garner sympathy. Instead, they have contributed significantly to the killing of over 660,000 fellow Americans who also had high school buddies and remembered their good times. So the sympathy has gone. Nobody laughs at them, but there is no sorrow for them either. Just a few loudmouth disease vectors have disappeared.

Dickhead?
I think if you took my post as a whole, instead of in sections, you would find that we are largely in agreement. My fault that this wasn’t more obvious.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:55 AM   #429
sackett
Philosopher

Hey, Warbler, couple of things.

"Maybe it's just the way I was brought up" is virtue signaling. It sounds smug. And it appears to be accurate: you seem to have been brought up to have a superstitious regard for the recently defunct. Can't you now, in these ghastly times, begin to examine that idea?

Howsomever, you do have a modest point about reviling the mad ******* who die this way. It might encourage the others, the worst of them* anyway, to hear us triumphing over their martyrs. I think it can do no harm to refrain; let other crows cackle. But I advocate that purely as a tactic, not as a moral principle -- and sure as hell not as a moralistic one.

*I.e., the ones who haven't died yet. Shall we call them the Great Undead?

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:04 AM   #430
dirtywick
Illuminator

It's important not to lose sight of the fact that the topic of this thread are generally unqualified people who gave out dangerous and deadly medical advice against expert opinion they, at best, know they have no idea what they're talking about or at worst know is false and deliberately lied about for personal gain, which ultimately proved to be their demise.

It's very difficult to respect people who would do that. But maybe I was brought up differently, because to me integrity, honesty, and doing the right thing are important values.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:59 AM   #431
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
It's okay. The GOP loves straight talk and hates political correctness. They like someone who tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat it.

It's just a shame shemp didn't include some locker room talk. Boys will be boys, after all.
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:33 PM   #432
carlitos
"más divertido"

I just happened to see this, which relates to some of the most recent discussion here.

Originally Posted by WebMD
Shaming people into better public health practices is ineffective and can be counterproductive, says Josh Pasek, PhD, an associate professor of communication & media and political science at the University of Michigan.

“If at any point people are laughing about somebody else getting sick, that doesn’t serve the purpose of actually improving public health in any meaningful way,” he says.

Some may defend shaming the sick or deceased as a teachable lesson on the seriousness of the virus.

But Pasek says this type of public ridicule is less about the greater public good and more about cultural wars rooted in partisanship.

Rebuilding public trust is one way to heal the divide, he says.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:05 PM   #433
Warbler
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I think Warbler just forgot to type'not,'
btw this is correct. darn typos.

I originally intended say "All I can say is that I myself am Christian and do not reject vaccines or masks."

I am vaccinated and have no problem with wearing masks.
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:13 PM   #434
Warbler
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Hey, Warbler, couple of things.

"Maybe it's just the way I was brought up" is virtue signaling. It sounds smug.
Sorry, I did not intend to come off as smug, not did I intend virtue signaling.

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
And it appears to be accurate: you seem to have been brought up to have a superstitious regard for the recently defunct. Can't you now, in these ghastly times, begin to examine that idea?
We will have to agree to disagree on whether or not my religious beliefs are "superstitious". Also see no reason why the currents times should cause me to re-examine my beliefs that the the recently dead should be shown some respect. btw, that is not just based on my religious beliefs.
Old 23rd September 2021, 02:42 PM   #435
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Honorable Mention

A former member of this board attempted to win the prize,
but came up short in the final round, a runner up so to speak.

Before I reveal who in the following video a few conditions:

No operating heavy machinery or equipment.
No eating of food or drink during the video - choking hazard.
Find a comfortable char, bed, or floor before watching.

One more hint: libertarian politician.

I AGREE

P. S. I suspect he'll try again this fall.
Old 23rd September 2021, 02:50 PM   #436
Warbler
Critical Thinker

huh?
Old 23rd September 2021, 03:33 PM   #437
junkshop
Critical Thinker

Location: Under the bed. Whose bed, you ask? That would be telling...sleep tight.
btw this is correct. darn typos.

I originally intended say "All I can say is that I myself am Christian and do not reject vaccines or masks."

I am vaccinated and have no problem with wearing masks.
Glad to hear it, thank you for not being a dick.

ETA: For clarification, I read this back and worried that it may sound snarky. This was not intended, genuinely, thank you for not being a dick, and giving a **** about other people. It is appreciated.

Last edited by junkshop; 23rd September 2021 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Clarification
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 03:57 PM   #438
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
A former member of this board attempted to win the prize,
but came up short in the final round, a runner up so to speak.

Before I reveal who in the following video a few conditions:

No operating heavy machinery or equipment.
No eating of food or drink during the video - choking hazard.
Find a comfortable char, bed, or floor before watching.

One more hint: libertarian politician.

I AGREE

P. S. I suspect he'll try again this fall. http://www.internationalskeptics.com...818778&thumb=1
Maybe this guy should read this from the CDC:

Quote:
In today’s MMWR, a study of COVID-19 infections in Kentucky among people who were previously infected with SAR-CoV-2 shows that unvaccinated individuals are more than twice as likely to be reinfected with COVID-19 than those who were fully vaccinated after initially contracting the virus. These data further indicate that COVID-19 vaccines offer better protection than natural immunity alone and that vaccines, even after prior infection, help prevent reinfections.
Old 25th September 2021, 03:47 AM   #439
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The Alabama Pickers

A double dose of dumbass!!

https://www.al.com/news/2021/09/alab...-of-covid.html

Last edited by smartcooky; 25th September 2021 at 03:48 AM.
Old 25th September 2021, 07:02 AM   #440
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Here's info on a site that is handing out awards and covers many of the issues raised in this thread:

The Unbelievable Grimness of HermanCainAward, the Subreddit That Catalogs Anti-Vaxxer COVID Deaths

https://slate.com/technology/2021/09...cataloged.html

Quote:
HermanCainAward, one of the fastest-growing subreddits on Reddit.com, is exactly what it sounds like: an archive of those who have been hospitalized and/or killed by COVID and didn’t believe the disease could harm them. It is named after Republican Herman Cain, the onetime candidate for president who succumbed to COVID some weeks after attending a Trump rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, at which he was photographed maskless in the summer of 2020. Cain’s Twitter account would continue to downplay the virus even after his death.
Quote:
Jaded though they are, many r/HermanCainAward readers have experienced this much as I did: as a truly frightening look at what COVID can really be like. What hundreds of stories about deaths told through mean-spirited screenshots reveal is that the disease—when it gets bad—is worse than even the most pro-vax person really understood.
Quote:
Nothing about the r/HermanCainAward, a dark record of a dark, dark time, is decent or kind or particularly fair. Even using Cain as the model is uncharitable; he was actually among the conservatives who didn’t deny that COVID was real. He advocated following CDC guidelines including social distancing and even masks on his radio show, despite not always adhering to those recommendations himself. I’m not sure that matters; no one could argue that a place where people gather to mock the dead is “moral,” or accuse it of hypocrisy, or of virtue signaling, or of coastal elitism. It is an anti-persuasive venue, a place that dispenses with rational appeals for people to behave better in favor of something much more primal and horrifying. And who knows? Maybe it’s persuading people specifically because it’s not trying to.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics