IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th September 2021, 11:33 AM   #321
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
There are a lot (and I mean A LOT) of foreigners living somewhat in my area who are running from the law in various countries.
Clothing doesn't appear to be a big budget item..
Old 28th September 2021, 12:25 PM   #322
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Could he do something to get cleared and visit the U.S. if he wanted? It's hard to imagine this would be a high priority for anybody today.
Probably about three levels OT, but chrispy nailed it. Once pot is legalized I expect his family will have his record expunged, but the fleeing thing may be tough. Courts donít like that.

Brian is looking at a murder investigation. I think that would be a bit harder to get away from these days. Even if he made it to a place that didnít care much about helping the US find its criminals.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 02:29 PM   #323
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe Dr Curt Connors aka "THe Lizard" got him when the guy accidently went into Connors swamp territory.......

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 28th September 2021 at 02:31 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 02:38 PM   #324
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Probably about three levels OT, but chrispy nailed it. Once pot is legalized I expect his family will have his record expunged, but the fleeing thing may be tough. Courts donít like that.

Brian is looking at a murder investigation. I think that would be a bit harder to get away from these days. Even if he made it to a place that didnít care much about helping the US find its criminals.
"Three levels OT?" Is that one of those secret lawyer terms? I dunno what that means.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 02:49 PM   #325
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

OT = Off Topic
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 03:07 PM   #326
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
OT = Off Topic
Got it. Sorry.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 03:14 PM   #327
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I wasn't complaining. On topic enough for my tastes.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 09:30 PM   #328
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Are you thinking police are wrong about knowing where he was on the 16th? And that maybe he absconded on the 11th in the camper? I can only see that working if police are wrong about the 16th date.
Most sources are treating it as fact that he was sighted back at his Florida home after the camping trip.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/29/us/ga...day/index.html
Old 30th September 2021, 03:48 AM   #329
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

"Gabby Petito's missing fiance, Brian Laundrie, and his parents did go to a Florida campground for a one-night stay in early September."

I don't get any of this...at all. Isn't a camping trip supposed to be a fun, happy activity? Is this what normal people do when a fiancť goes missing?
Alt+F4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2021, 05:06 AM   #330
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post
"Gabby Petito's missing fiance, Brian Laundrie, and his parents did go to a Florida campground for a one-night stay in early September."

I don't get any of this...at all. Isn't a camping trip supposed to be a fun, happy activity? Is this what normal people do when a fiancť goes missing?
Did he do a cartwheel?
Old 30th September 2021, 06:44 AM   #331
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post

Do we know what his parents knew at that point? Could be they were buying some cover story that the couple had just split up and this was to take his mind off of it. It was after this that they had to find out that Gabby was actually missing. What they were thinking now I can't tell from any report I'd seen.

22/23 year olds splitting up while being together in a van for a couple months is actually pretty straightforward and believable.

I can't tell from news reports when Gabby's parents went from "haven't heard from her" to "oh, no, this is not right". Based on what I know about their state of mind (next to nothing), they might have been relieved to know that the couple split up and were expecting that Gabby was off doing something else or finishing the trip on her own. I don't get the impression that an exact date for her return had been set in advance. And she would appear to have had the means to carry on on her own.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 30th September 2021 at 06:48 AM.
Old 30th September 2021, 08:18 AM   #332
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Not that this is important, but it's just 'Dog', not 'Dogg', even if that makes more sense as a nickname and the hair deserves more than one g.
When I see that, I just imagine Snoop doing it...
Old 30th September 2021, 08:25 AM   #333
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Do we know what his parents knew at that point? Could be they were buying some cover story that the couple had just split up and this was to take his mind off of it. It was after this that they had to find out that Gabby was actually missing. What they were thinking now I can't tell from any report I'd seen.

22/23 year olds splitting up while being together in a van for a couple months is actually pretty straightforward and believable.
That would be more believable if he had returned home by plane or bus. For him to arrive driving her van should have aroused an immediate "Where did you leave her? How is she getting home?"
Old 30th September 2021, 08:33 AM   #334
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

It wasn't her van. It was a rental they were sharing. Multiple sources even refer to it as his van.

I don't know where they rented it but it seems likely they would have rented it in Florida where they were living at the time. If he's going back to Florida and she's going back to her family in Long Island then it would make perfect sense he kept the van and she got a new rental.
Old 30th September 2021, 10:08 AM   #335
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

It wasn't her van. It was a rental they were sharing. Multiple sources even refer to it as his van.

I don't know where they rented it but it seems likely they would have rented it in Florida where they were living at the time. If he's going back to Florida and she's going back to her family in Long Island then it would make perfect sense he kept the van and she got a new rental.
Multiple links say she owned the van. There was even a question about whether he could be charged with auto theft, and police said that wouldn't stick because it was a "common use" vehicle, not that it was his. If it was a rental, they wouldn't have been able to customize it as they did.

Quote:
Cops released the van to Petito, who legally owned the vehicle, and arranged a motel room for Laundrie.
https://browardtribune.com/cops-who-...-gabby-petito/

Quote:
The van, owned by Petito, was recovered at the Laundrie residence.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ase/ar-AAOY1Ot

Quote:
1 September - Mr Laundrie returns to his parentsí Florida home in North Point without Ms Petito, driving her Ford Transit van.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1927689.html
Old 30th September 2021, 11:18 AM   #336
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Multiple links say she owned the van. There was even a question about whether he could be charged with auto theft, and police said that wouldn't stick because it was a "common use" vehicle, not that it was his. If it was a rental, they wouldn't have been able to customize it as they did.

https://browardtribune.com/cops-who-...-gabby-petito/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ase/ar-AAOY1Ot

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1927689.html
I'm agnostic about whether she owned it or it was a rental, but "multiple links" to different mainstream media outlets doesn't do much for me. Nobody's doing independent investigative journalism anymore. All these different outlets are almost certainly just paraphrasing the same basic narrative from the wire services. Which may or may not be entirely accurate to begin with.

It's not like the Independent has a stringer out there digging into vehicle ownership records to confirm that it's her van.

Not that it really matters much, I suppose.
Old 30th September 2021, 11:38 AM   #337
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

At least he gave a source, though.
Old 30th September 2021, 11:58 AM   #338
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
At least he gave a source, though.
My default assumption in these kinds of cases is that they're all secondary sources. I wonder who the primary source is, and what due diligence underpins their reporting.

My guess is that someone got some kind of statement from the cops. The police spokesperson told them something like "we returned the van to her since it was hers", and they ran with a paraphrase. Then every other outlet picked it up and just ran their own paraphrase of the same originating narrative.

In that scenario, who knows if the van is really hers? Did the cops mean they saw the registration in her name? Did they mean they saw the rental agreement in her name? Did the spokes-cop who talked to the reporter misspeak? Did they misunderstand or misremember the report from the officers on the scene? Did the officers on the scene misreport that detail?

Or maybe the original reporter got hold of the license plate # and looked up the vehicle ownership records. But we don't get that source. None of the linked sources give any attribution to that particular claim of fact. And I doubt any of them did the actual legwork I've described above.
Old 30th September 2021, 12:06 PM   #339
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
My default assumption in these kinds of cases is that they're all secondary sources. I wonder who the primary source is, and what due diligence underpins their reporting.

My guess is that someone got some kind of statement from the cops. The police spokesperson told them something like "we returned the van to her since it was hers", and they ran with a paraphrase. Then every other outlet picked it up and just ran their own paraphrase of the same originating narrative.

In that scenario, who knows if the van is really hers? Did the cops mean they saw the registration in her name? Did they mean they saw the rental agreement in her name? Did the spokes-cop who talked to the reporter misspeak? Did they misunderstand or misremember the report from the officers on the scene? Did the officers on the scene misreport that detail?

Or maybe the original reporter got hold of the license plate # and looked up the vehicle ownership records. But we don't get that source. None of the linked sources give any attribution to that particular claim of fact. And I doubt any of them did the actual legwork I've described above.
I agree with you about research, and I essentially feel that journalistic integrity has gotten a bit lazy in the age of the internet. People my age and younger are mostly terrible at research and factual reporting, and we are helping to ruin the whole concept. Even well-sourced news is often polluted with snark and partisan opinions, which pisses me off and makes me feel dirty even when I agree with the general viewpoint.

Nevertheless, my point was simply that RY asserted a claim with no source, and Bob1101 offered a rebuttal that did contain sources. If you don't trust the sources, that's a different matter.

Honestly, if no reporter has bothered to conclusively verify who actually owns the god damn van, then the problem may be worse than I thought.
Old 30th September 2021, 12:25 PM   #340
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Oh, for pete's sake. Who ever said the van was rented? Cite a source. Have you ever rented a car? Do you really think they could extensively customize a rental van? And renting a 10-year-old van for months would approach if not exceed the cost of buying it without building any equity. And every source that mentions ownership says it was hers. If it was his why would the police release it to her?

And perhaps most compellingly, her parents call it her van.
Quote:
“Brian is refusing to tell Gabby’s family where he last saw her,” their statement said. “Brian is also refusing to explain why he left Gabby all alone and drove her van to Florida. These are critical questions that require immediate answers.
https://nypost.com/2021/09/14/gabby-...-talk-to-cops/

Quote:
"The were traveling together in Gabby's 2012 Ford Transit van."
https://twitter.com/PeiSzeCheng4NY/s...83093227130881

This "I don't believe the evil media" nonsense is exactly that -- mindless nonsense.

Last edited by Bob001; 30th September 2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 30th September 2021, 12:26 PM   #341
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I'll find my sources later but I don't really need to since Bob001 certainly has presented enough to know that it being owned by her rather than rented is a distinct possibility. I'll see if I can find the license plate number too. I've seen it in some article. An automated license plate reader caught it at some state border. I'll check for links when I have time.

ETA: can't find anything definitive and reports of who owned the van seems to be all over the map. But I haven't found anything contradicting that it was a 2012 van so that would argue against it being a rental I would think.

And: Florida tag QFTG03 from https://www.8newsnow.com/news/gabby-...s-new-details/

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 30th September 2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 30th September 2021, 01:30 PM   #342
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, for pete's sake. Who ever said the van was rented? Cite a source. Have you ever rented a car? Do you really think they could extensively customize a rental van? And renting a 10-year-old van for months would approach if not exceed the cost of buying it without building any equity. And every source that mentions ownership says it was hers. If it was his why would the police release it to her?

And perhaps most compellingly, her parents call it her van.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/14/gabby-...-talk-to-cops/

https://twitter.com/PeiSzeCheng4NY/s...83093227130881

This "I don't believe the evil media" nonsense is exactly that -- mindless nonsense.
That's more like it. Thanks for coming through!
Old 30th September 2021, 02:15 PM   #343
Sherkeu
Master Poster

It is her car and it would be silly to rent such a vehicle, renovate it for 3 months and plan to live in it for another 6mo or so.

But for official proof, here is a copy of the police report for "Disorderly Conduct" outside the Moonflower coop:

https://www.scribd.com/document/5255...etito-Redacted

Includes make, model, lic, VIN, and Owner.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2021, 02:22 PM   #344
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

That got heated. In any event, I think the reports that it was rented are wrong. Here's some links if anyone needs to beat that some more. Some show reports of it being called a rental or being confused about who owns it. Other's are official documents that seem to indicate it's an owned vehicle.

https://outsider.com/news/trending/g...t-fbi-seizing/
Says "fiance's van in the Gabby Petito case. Investigators got permission to search Brian Laundrie;s rented Ford Transit van'. So really confused. Even makes the part about being a rental a bolded breeakpoint in the article.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3656112...nd-cops-probe/
Show Gabby's parent's state of mind since they expect she is still alive.

https://www.scribd.com/document/5255...etito-Redacted

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/statu...fbi-seizing%2F

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/23784...fbi-is-seizing

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 30th September 2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 30th September 2021, 02:29 PM   #345
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

In any event, that diversion was driven by me posting this:

I can't tell from news reports when Gabby's parents went from "haven't heard from her" to "oh, no, this is not right". Based on what I know about their state of mind (next to nothing), they might have been relieved to know that the couple split up and were expecting that Gabby was off doing something else or finishing the trip on her own. I don't get the impression that an exact date for her return had been set in advance. And she would appear to have had the means to carry on on her own.
So in any event, whether the car is a rental doesn't seem enough to change my mind about my main point here. It doesn't appear that the Laundrie parents were necessarily acting odd during the camping trip. Based on what we know it's plausible they still thought they were just dealing with a breakup.

Gabby's parents were apparently concerned at this point. There first clue was odd texts from Gabby (or faked) at the end of August. But I can't tell what their level of concern was as that time. All I know for sure is that they didn't report her missing until the 11th, after the camping trip. That's also the earliest time I can identify where the Laundrie parents had to know that something more serious was up.
Old 30th September 2021, 02:54 PM   #346
Sherkeu
Master Poster

One big missing piece I can't seem to find out about is how Brian Laundrie drove his Mustang to the reserve when it was not seen at the home and he was not seen leaving in it?

Sept 12/13- no Mustang at the house -media is there shooting footage. It is a national story already.
Sept 14 - Claim that Brian drove the Mustang to hike in the preserve.
Sept 15 -his parents go look for him and see the car with tow notice. Story is that they left it there a day to see if he would return but... Mustang is seen on driveway later that afternoon on news footage.
Sept 17 Laundries report their son missing but refuse to say anything about Gabby.

The only way he could have been in that home is if the car was parked somewhere else and he snuck 'out the back' on foot to get to it. So where was he really?

According to the known facts, he has never been physically seen by law enforcement and the latest unofficial sightings are from a neighbor who saw them walking, biking, and loading the camper on the 6th. There might be footage from the de Soto campsite, which the FBI has. And that's it.

He could have had a 9-12 day head start on getting out of dodge before anyone went looking for him.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2021, 03:02 PM   #347
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

There is also one report of a neighbor seeing him after the camping trip at the home, on the 11th I think. Also, police said they knew his whereabouts on the 16th. Not clear why they thought that though. They then declared him missing on the 17th.

If lack of links is going to cause an argument, just let me know first.
Old 30th September 2021, 03:05 PM   #348
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Bollocks. It's useless, dangerous, pseudo-science. Like "lie detectors".
Oh, I agree. Absolutely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (32.8 KB, 197 views)
Old 30th September 2021, 03:09 PM   #349
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

BTW About that note on Laundries car to have it moved, have police ever confirmed that they placed that note?
Old 30th September 2021, 03:24 PM   #350
Sherkeu
Master Poster

In any event, that diversion was driven by me posting this:

Gabby's parents were apparently concerned at this point. There first clue was odd texts from Gabby (or faked) at the end of August. But I can't tell what their level of concern was as that time. All I know for sure is that they didn't report her missing until the 11th, after the camping trip. That's also the earliest time I can identify where the Laundrie parents had to know that something more serious was up.
Gabby's parents got radio silence from the Laundries on repeated calls and texts to find out about Gabby from Aug 30 - and have still not communicated.

Gabby and Brian went to HS together in NY and dated back then. These parents know each other and the kids stayed at each of the family homes on several occasions.Gabby live in the Laundries home.
All their increasingly concerned, then frantic search for answers about their daughter from the Laundries went completely ignored. By Sept 13th, anyone wanting a statement was referred to the attorney.

I can think of no good reason for this behavior, unless they knew their son was in crap loads of trouble.
Old 30th September 2021, 03:31 PM   #351
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Gabby's parents got radio silence from the Laundries on repeated calls and texts to find out about Gabby from Aug 30 - and have still not communicated.

Gabby and Brian went to HS together in NY and dated back then. These parents know each other and the kids stayed at each of the family homes on several occasions.Gabby live in the Laundries home.
All their increasingly concerned, then frantic search for answers about their daughter from the Laundries went completely ignored. By Sept 13th, anyone wanting a statement was referred to the attorney.

I can think of no good reason for this behavior, unless they knew their son was in crap loads of trouble.
That's how I see it as well. The whole thing stinks. I think they helped him flee because they knew he was otherwise going to be charged with murder.
Old 30th September 2021, 03:36 PM   #352
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Not returning phone calls has a lot of less than murderous explanations. Are the content of the text/calls known? Were the calls or texts suggesting murder? People cutting people off after a failed engagement isn't normally an indication of something as bad as murder. That kind of falling out happens.

BTW the Sept 13 date falls after the 11th which is when I currently see as the earliest time we can prove the parents knew something more serious than a break up was up.
Old 30th September 2021, 03:59 PM   #353
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
That's how I see it as well. The whole thing stinks. I think they helped him flee because they knew he was otherwise going to be charged with murder.
Why is it you're convinced the parents knew about the murder?

Do you think he confessed to his parents? Bryan disappeared about the 14th, about 5 days before Gabby's body was found.

Or do you think Gabby's parents were suggesting murder in their texts or voice messages? They weren't saying that publicly as far as I remember. And they didn't report her even as missing until the 11th.

I'm basically not seeing a good reason to be convinced that either set of parents would be convinced of murder at the time he fled. Plenty of reason to be majorly worried though, of course.
Old 30th September 2021, 04:36 PM   #354
eerok
Quixoticist

Why is it you're convinced the parents knew about the murder?
I'm not convinced of anything, but their behavior seems suspicious to me.

Do you think he confessed to his parents? Bryan disappeared about the 14th, about 5 days before Gabby's body was found.
It's possible that he confessed some wrongdoing to his parents the day he got back, which was 1 September. They lawyered up rather quickly, before she was found, and their refusal to respond to Gabby's parents was very strange IMO.

Or do you think Gabby's parents were suggesting murder in their texts or voice messages? They weren't saying that publicly as far as I remember. And they didn't report her even as missing until the 11th.
No. Gabby's parents just wanted to know where she was.

I'm basically not seeing a good reason to be convinced that either set of parents would be convinced of murder at the time he fled. Plenty of reason to be majorly worried though, of course.
One can't discount the possibility that Brian told his parents on day one that he was involved in her death, or was otherwise in deep trouble. This fits all the facts as far as I can see, and is a better explanation than any other I've heard.

I think it's too soon to be convinced of anything, though.
Old 30th September 2021, 07:10 PM   #355
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

They lawyered up rather quickly, before she was found, ...
I'm not ignoring everything else you said in that post but this point is key. When do you think they lawyered up? That makes a lot of difference in to how things look and how to respond to the rest of your post.
Old 1st October 2021, 05:52 AM   #356
eerok
Quixoticist

I'm not ignoring everything else you said in that post but this point is key. When do you think they lawyered up? That makes a lot of difference in to how things look and how to respond to the rest of your post.
IIRC Brian's parents responded about Gabby being missing only through their lawyer. Being missing is not a big deal. I was reported missing once when I was younger. What did they need a lawyer for? Why did they offer nothing, when there was certainly something relevant they could say? Why did they seem to not care for Gabby's safety? Acting guilty isn't a crime, but it makes one look guilty.

This is all just speculation. We'll know more when they find Brian, and I think eventually they will.
Old 1st October 2021, 06:36 AM   #357
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I agree that body language is not something I would want to base a legal case on, but to deny that people use their bodies, often unconsciously, when communicatng with others is just plain wrong.
It's the "interpretation" of those uses that is inconsistent, inconclusive, subjective and unscientific. Hence worthless and decried by actual scientists.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 06:39 AM   #358
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
As he (correctly) pointed out, if Laundrie is caught half the country will want him executed and the other half will want him to spend 50+ years in jail. Either option would be an enormous bill for the taxpayers, including the victim's family. Along with probably an emotionally grueling trial. His request was a call to conscience, saying that the 'honorable' thing to do would be to end it to spare everyone that cost. A life for a life--without involving the state. Is that really wrong, ethically, morally, whatever? But Walsh said that since Laundrie likely has no conscience, he would not do it.
You forget the significant amount of people who'll say (as usual) it was the victim's fault.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 06:55 AM   #359
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Bollocks. It's useless, dangerous, pseudo-science. Like "lie detectors".
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Oh, I agree. Absolutely.
This was brilliant.

Obviously, catsmate had a good point, but this was a damned funny rebuttal.

Last edited by phiwum; 1st October 2021 at 06:58 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 07:39 AM   #360
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

IIRC Brian's parents responded about Gabby being missing only through their lawyer. Being missing is not a big deal. I was reported missing once when I was younger. What did they need a lawyer for? Why did they offer nothing, when there was certainly something relevant they could say? Why did they seem to not care for Gabby's safety? Acting guilty isn't a crime, but it makes one look guilty.
OK. You're telling me that the parents acted guilty on the day Gabby was reported missing. A point I agree with. Yes, they acted terribly from that point forward. At the moment that's earliest point I can be sure they were acting improperly.

I'm also wondering why Gabby's parents took so long to report her missing. You say you were reported missing at one time when you were younger. Were you not answering cell phone text/messages? Just been through a bad breakup? Were there police reports of you possibly being the victim/aggressor or possibly both (I don't know when Gabby's parent first became aware of these). Gabby was an adult who should be reachable by phone, at least at times, who's last text was suspicious. I mean if Gabby's parents took so long to suspect/report foul play why should Brian's parents be faster to suspect?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events