IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 18th January 2022, 04:50 AM   #2041
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Remember, her remit is not to rule on whether Boris Johnson broke the Ministerial Code. The ultimate arbiter of that is Lord Geidt.
He can only launch an investigation if Boris Johnson gives permission.
If Geidt makes a ruling, Boris Johnson can overrule it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 04:56 AM   #2042
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think we know that it should be known as “the ministerial suggestions” rather than code.
Old 18th January 2022, 05:19 AM   #2043
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think we know that it should be known as “the ministerial suggestions” rather than code.
“The code is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules"

As a famous pirate captain claimed.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 06:44 AM   #2044
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

'It's not my fault,' says a 57-year-old Old Etonian & Oxford graduate who made the rules
On Sky News Boris says says 'nobody told me' No 10 lockdown garden party was against the rules.
Invites had been sent, there were 40 people in the garden, tables were laid out with food and drink and "No, nobody told me that what we were doing was against the rules, the event in question was something that wasn't a work event...When I went out into that garden I thought I was attending a work event."

Beth Rigby: "To be clear you're saying Cummings is lying and his version of events is untrue?"

PM:"I can tell you categorically that nobody told me and nobody said that this was sthing that was against the rules or a breach of covid rules or something that wasn't a work event, because frankly I can't imagine why it would have gone ahead or been allowed to go ahead. My memory, as I've said is going out into the garden for 25 minutes for what I implicitly thought was a work event and talking to staff, thanking staff..."
"I can be absolutely categorical about this. Nobody told me that this is an event which was against the rules, that is in breach of what we're asking everyone else to do and should not go ahead."

On parties before Duke of Edinburgh funeral: "I deeply and bitterly regret that that happened. I can only renew my apologies to Her Majesty and to the country for misjudgments made and I take full responsibility."

http://news.sky.com/story/boris-john...rules-12519115

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 18th January 2022 at 06:51 AM.
Old 18th January 2022, 11:41 AM   #2045
Lothian
should be banned

It is that hard to understand that when considering whether a " Work event" breaks the rules it is the 'event' aspect as opposed to the 'work' one that is the most important?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #2046
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it's official. Covid is over!
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM   #2047
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Yay !

I guess the tens of thousands catching it, the thousands hospitalised with it and the hundreds dying is just my overactive imagination.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #2048
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
'It's not my fault,' says a 57-year-old Old Etonian & Oxford graduate who made the rules
On Sky News Boris says says 'nobody told me' No 10 lockdown garden party was against the rules.
Invites had been sent, there were 40 people in the garden, tables were laid out with food and drink and "No, nobody told me that what we were doing was against the rules, the event in question was something that wasn't a work event...When I went out into that garden I thought I was attending a work event."

Beth Rigby: "To be clear you're saying Cummings is lying and his version of events is untrue?"

PM:"I can tell you categorically that nobody told me and nobody said that this was sthing that was against the rules or a breach of covid rules or something that wasn't a work event, because frankly I can't imagine why it would have gone ahead or been allowed to go ahead. My memory, as I've said is going out into the garden for 25 minutes for what I implicitly thought was a work event and talking to staff, thanking staff..."
"I can be absolutely categorical about this. Nobody told me that this is an event which was against the rules, that is in breach of what we're asking everyone else to do and should not go ahead."

On parties before Duke of Edinburgh funeral: "I deeply and bitterly regret that that happened. I can only renew my apologies to Her Majesty and to the country for misjudgments made and I take full responsibility."

http://news.sky.com/story/boris-john...rules-12519115
Why does 'Boris' Johnson keep saying, 'Categorically'?

Isn't that what former POTUS Richard Nixon kept saying during impeachment proceedings? 'I categorically deny...'

...and then he was gone.

Why is Boozo copying him?

'Absolutely deeply bitterly', my foot.

'I understand what you are saying but...' is his other hackneyed cliché in response to any hard hitting question.

UK voters: what were you thinking???!!!

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #2049
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nadhim Zahawi tweets
@nadhimzahawi
· 8h
I promised that pupils wouldn't have to wear face coverings for a moment longer than necessary, so I'm pleased to say they will no longer be needed in classrooms from tomorrow.
Old Today, 01:33 AM   #2050
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Nadhim Zahawi tweets
@nadhimzahawi
· 8h
I promised that pupils wouldn't have to wear face coverings for a moment longer than necessary, so I'm pleased to say they will no longer be needed in classrooms from tomorrow.
Oh good, I look forward to the fifth (or sixth, or seventh) wave.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:47 AM   #2051
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Sky News reporting that Downing Street insiders 'worried' Sue Gray investigation has come across damaging evidence and are now doubtful report will 'clear' Boris Johnson.

Also, Lewis Goodall of BBC News posted

Lewis Goodall
@lewis_goodall
· 1h
Tory MP William Wragg accuses govt whips and No 10 of blackmail and breaking ministerial code. Says they’ve threatened to withdraw investment from MPs’ constituencies if they support no confidence. Also threatened with negative press stories.
Mr Wragg advises his colleagues to report such incidents to both the Speaker and the Metropolitan Police.

Leaving aside serious accusations about the ministerial code politically it’s very difficult for a government which says its guiding principle is to levelling up to be accused of threatening to withdraw investment from particular constituencies to save the Prime Minister.

Mr Wragg is no friend of the PM but a governing party MP raising these sorts of concerns is highly unusual.
Whips always deploy what you might call ‘underhand’ tactics when the PM’s back is against the wall. Good or ill that is part of our system. But to directly link public money in constituencies to no confidence votes as Mr Wragg is alleging would be a serious charge indeed.

No 10 responds to Mr Wragg’s allegations- “We are not aware of any evidence to support what are clearly serious allegations. If there is any evidence to support these claims we would look at it very carefully.

Video of Wragg statement in link

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/st...11208957431809

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Today at 04:52 AM.
Old Today, 04:54 AM   #2052
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Channel 4 are on this too

Channel 4 News tweeted
@Channel4News
"The reports of which I'm aware would seem to constitute blackmail."

Tory MP and Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee chair William Wragg tells MPs to report to police any attempts to "blackmail" them over their support for a no confidence vote in the PM.
Old Today, 05:00 AM   #2053
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, fighting back against the Whips?
Old Today, 05:38 AM   #2054
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Robert Peston
@Peston
I understand Sue Gray has found the email from a senior official to PM’s principle private secretary Martin Reynolds warning him the 20 May party should not go ahead, as per Cummings’s revelation and my blog below. So huge…

question now for Gray to determine how PM could have thought this party was a legitimate work event as per his narrative.

itv.com
Why the mystery 'partygate' email mentioned in Cummings' blog really matters
A Downing Street source told Politics Editor Robert Peston he sent an email to Martin Reynolds on 20 May 2020 telling him a planned party should not go on

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-17/...really-matters
Old Today, 05:56 AM   #2055
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ben Kentish - Westminster Correspondent LBC tweeted
@BenKentish
I was told by Tory MPs, at the height of the Rashford row, that members of the govt were threatening to withhold money from schools in their (deprived) constituencies if they voted to extend free school meals. These practices aren’t new but Will Wragg has shone a light on them.
Old Today, 06:04 AM   #2056
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Stand by for:

1. This did not happen.

2. It did happen, but the Prime Minister knew nothing about it.

3. The Prime Minister knew about it, but it wasn’t technically blackmail.

4. It was blackmail, but the Prime Minister wasn’t told that blackmail was against the law.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics