IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , Congressional hearings

Old 17th January 2022, 08:17 AM   #1361
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Well, yeah. It's pretty implausible that they didn't realize the violent potential.

I'm sure throwing more money at them will make them care about these issues more though
At what point do we entertain the idea that it was purposefully allowed to happen? Is there anything to suggest such a thing? It sounds somewhat plausible.

Is this angle being investigated by the committee? I know it has been tossed around as a CT, of course.

Last edited by Warp12; 17th January 2022 at 08:49 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 08:17 AM   #1362
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
It doesn't seem like they would have had to do a whole lot to keep this situation from escalating like it did.
Yes. They should have used more live ammunition. The Babbit **** was a good start.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 08:19 AM   #1363
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Yes. They should have used more live ammunition. The Babbit **** was a good start.
Shooting people is obviously a reactive measure. I was thinking in more proactive terms.
Old 17th January 2022, 08:21 AM   #1364
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Shooting people is obviously a reactive measure. I was thinking in more proactive terms.
I was too. Killing more of them in 2020 might have prevented what their kind will try in 2024.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 08:52 AM   #1365
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

At what point do we entertain the idea that it was purposefully allowed to happen? Is there anything to suggest such a thing? It sounds somewhat plausible.

Is this angle being investigated by the committee? I know it has been tossed around as a CT, of course.
Check what the Sargeant at arms in the Senate stated, they wanted the Guard on Standby because Mitch McCoverup didn't want to Embarrass the Insurrectionist Republicans in the house and Senate, and Pelosi probably didn't think even the Republicans were that stupid to try a coup attempt on National TV.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 09:05 AM   #1366
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Purposefully allowed to happen - to help the coup?
Absolutely.

After all, law enforcement officers got charged for helping rioters covering up their acts on the day.

But you are thinking of "entrapment" - absolutely not. This was Trump's FBI and DOJ appointees.

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 10:38 AM   #1367
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I mean again we're just going to pretend that rioters weren't taking selfies with cops inside the Capital on that day?
Old 18th January 2022, 04:17 PM   #1368
slyjoe
Master Poster

Four lawyers just subpoenaed by the Jan 6 committee:
Sydney Powell
Jenna Ellis
Boris Epshteyn
Rudy Giuliani

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of people.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/10738...lection-claims
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 04:26 PM   #1369
eerok
Quixoticist

It seems that Jenna Ellis has so far avoided much notice for her part in the madness. Perhaps this will change now.
Old 18th January 2022, 05:54 PM   #1370
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Prior to Jan 6 2020, what was the procedure for visiting the Capitol building?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 06:32 PM   #1371
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Prior to Jan 6 2020, what was the procedure for visiting the Capitol building?
Did you mean Jan 6 2021?

COVID-19 (coronavirus) Update
The Capitol Visitor Center remains closed. Visit the Virtual Capitol Tour page to view available tour dates and times.

Quote:
COVID-19 (coronavirus) Update: The Capitol Visitor Center remains closed. We are not taking tour reservations at this time. Please check out our video tours and other online resources.

The following information may be helpful to visitors planning a future visit.

... ClockHours - The Capitol Visitor Center is open to visitors from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday except for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day and on Inauguration Day.

Official Business - Visitors with official business appointments may enter the Visitor Center as early as 7:15 a.m.

Admission and Passes - Admission to the Capitol Visitor Center is free. However, passes are required for tours of the historic Capitol and may be needed for other special events. All visitors to the Capitol are required to go through security screening.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th January 2022 at 06:39 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 07:26 PM   #1372
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Yes, I believe pro-Trump law enforcement purposefully allowing the riot to occur is somewhat plausible. Perhaps more than somewhat.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 07:27 PM   #1373
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Four lawyers just subpoenaed by the Jan 6 committee:
Sydney Powell
Jenna Ellis
Boris Epshteyn
Rudy Giuliani

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of people.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/10738...lection-claims
Watch these yahoos refuse to testify like so many of the others. They ain't got nuthin' to hide, do they? Just like Trump doesn't have anything to hide in his tax returns.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 08:21 PM   #1374
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

As a less sarcastic answer, I think we should get whatever answers the information leads us to.

I would consider a Democrat scheme to let it happen in order to embarrass or incriminate Trump and Republicans to be highly unlikely. The motive is unconvincing. Most people sympathetic to the incoming Biden administration or opposed to Trump's presidency were quite sincerely worried that sufficient disruption that day would create an opportunity to challenge the results. It doesn't make a lot of sense to shake things up at a key procedural step when your side won. So in this I am not relying on the integrity of Trump's opponents but on their sense of self-interest.

So it would take significantly compelling evidence to get me to believe this happened despite all sense.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 08:41 PM   #1375
mgidm86
Philosopher

There is plenty of evidence that Republicans allowed this to happen though, and in many different ways that have already been discussed here.
Old 18th January 2022, 08:43 PM   #1376
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Oops, yes, 2021.

Thanks.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:24 AM   #1377
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
There is plenty of evidence that Republicans allowed this to happen though, and in many different ways that have already been discussed here.
Yes they did then try to place blame on the speaker for it. Mitch McConnell clearly didn't want to Embarrass Republicans voting against certification with a large National Guard Presence.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:42 AM   #1378
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Oops, yes, 2021.

Thanks.
To visit the office of a senator or congress critter you just had to make an appointment (though most of those offices are in the Rayburn building connected by a tunnel). You could also contact your member of Congress or one of your two senators and get the tour. Most of the members have interns or staffers who give the Capitol tour. You could also do a self-guided tour sometimes just by waiting in line (though if there were events happening in the Rotunda you could get cancelled). There are galleries where you could watch the proceedings but I believe those were by reservation.

Visitors had to pass through security screening, pretty much like what happens at the airport.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #1379
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Supreme Court rejects Trumpís request to withhold Jan. 6 materials from House committee investigating Capitol riot
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #1380
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Finally, some good news! Can't wait for Trump's tweet-a-thon about this cuz you know it's coming.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #1381
slyjoe
Master Poster

For those that can't access WP.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/19/supr...committee.html
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #1382
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

They didn't just reject the appeal, they barely acknowledged it. All they got was one short opinion and the lone dissenter didn't even bother to write an opinion.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM   #1383
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

They didn't just reject the appeal, they barely acknowledged it. All they got was one short opinion and the lone dissenter didn't even bother to write an opinion.
Let's hope a Trump ally hasn't had time enough to alter any critical documents!
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #1384
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
I don't think that's much of a concern here. The documents have been in the hands of the National Archive since the end of Trump's administration. Trump's people wouldn't have had access to the documents.
Old Today, 12:21 AM   #1385
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Clarence Thomas.
Old Today, 12:33 AM   #1386
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

1. The National Archives already have those documents

2. There are probably enough former aides and officials from the Trump administration who have "defected" to testify to any alterations that might have been made.

Trump's usual tactics of delay, re-litigate, appeal, delay, re-litigate, appeal has not worked this time. This has gone from a request for documents by the January 6 committee in mid-October, all the way through the layers of courts to a SCOTUS 8-1 decision against him in barely three months - that is Warp Factor Nine by US justice standards.

Trump is stuffed now! I would give almost anything to have been a fly on the wall when Trump was told. I can just imagine him in a screaming, raging fit of anger, ranting about how he appointed those judges so they owed him their loyalty, and now they have stabbed him in the back.

Oh, the schadenfreude is so sweet-tasting!!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; Today at 12:39 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:38 AM   #1387
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Clarence Thomas.
And we don't know what he actually disagreed with.

The fact is that SCOTUS' ruling states the application would have been denied even if Trump was still president

"President Trump’s privilege claims “under any of the tests [he] advocated,” Trump v. Thompson, 20 F. 4th 10, 33 (CADC 2021), without regard to his status as a former President, id., at 40–46. Because the Court of Appeals concluded that President Trump’s claims would have failed even if he were the incumbent, his status as a former President necessarily made no difference to the court’s decision."
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:43 AM   #1388
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
1. The National Archives already have those documents

2. There are probably enough former aides and officials from the Trump administration who have "defected" to testify to any alterations that might have been made.

Trump's usual tactics of delay, re-litigate, appeal, delay, re-litigate, appeal has not worked this time. This has gone from a request for documents by the January 6 committee in mid-October, all the way through the layers of courts to a SCOTUS 8-1 decision against him in barely three months - that is Warp Factor Nine by US justice standards.

Trump is stuffed now! I would give almost anything to have been a fly on the wall when Trump was told. I can just imagine him in a screaming, raging fit of anger, ranting about how he appointed those judges so they owed him their loyalty, and now they have stabbed him in the back.

Oh, the schadenfreude is so sweet-tasting!!
So far, no response from Trump or his lawyer. I like to think the silence is because he dropped dead from a heart attack or stroke.
Old Today, 01:14 AM   #1389
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

So far, no response from Trump or his lawyer. I like to think the silence is because he dropped dead from a heart attack or stroke.
they are calling around to see if any 3% might be convinced to do a sightseeing tour of the Supreme Court.

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:04 AM   #1390
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
they are calling around to see if any 3% might be convinced to do a sightseeing tour of the Supreme Court.

Yeah... they have to ask the 3%ers, because the Oath Keepers are in jail
Cullen Hightower
Old Today, 07:43 AM   #1391
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yeah... they have to ask the 3%ers, because the Oath Keepers are in jail
We need to get the Bundy's opinion on that, after all it was the Oath Keepers that have been unlawful rebelling against the federal, government for years now. No matter what Names you give these groups the motives are all the same.
Old Today, 01:48 PM   #1392
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

We need to get the Bundy's opinion on that, after all it was the Oath Keepers that have been unlawful rebelling against the federal, government for years now. No matter what Names you give these groups the motives are all the same.
The reason is the same: they're crazy.
Old Today, 01:53 PM   #1393
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
There is also that if I'm going to rank judges on how likely they are to support Trump's side his appointments aren't at the top.

1) Thomas
2) Alito
3) Kavanaugh
4) Gorsuch
5) Barrett
6) Roberts
7-9) LDO

Which makes me think you are probably right. However, if the court passes I can see a raving dissent authored by one of the first two of those clowns and maybe also signed onto by Kavanaugh.

I'd think or at least hope that this would be 7-2, but Kavanaugh more than anyone else seems personally compromised.
I mean, I wasn't that far off. The world was robbed of what had to have been just an incredibly bizarre opinion when Thomas decided to just quietly vote. I'd almost pay to read that one.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time ever Alito exceeded my expectations. Which is sort of disorienting.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:54 PM   #1394
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

The reason is the same: they'rehttp://www.internationalskeptics.com...9ca9a3a072.jpg crazy.
Have to agree with you their, some have even been Twoofers on the forum before this one, JREF.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics