IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Closed Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 02:10 PM   #3041
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Michael Fabricant MP tweeted
@Mike_Fabricant
· 4h
If I reported every time I had been threatened by a Whip or if a Whip reported every time I had threatened them, the police wouldn’t have any time to conduct any other police work! What nonsense from WW.

I believe it was wholly improper of William Wragg to misuse his position as Chairman of a Select Committee to make unsubstantiated claims against the Whips as part of his long standing and well known vendetta against #Boris.

2/2 And if WW was being "blackmailed" as he claims, what is there about his private life that he doesn't want made public???
Jesus Christ! Is that a blackmail attempt in the second tweet?
Old 20th January 2022, 02:13 PM   #3042
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víðarr

I'd trade you guys Trump for Johnson in a heartbeat. Just sayin'...
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 02:33 PM   #3043
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"Nice constituency you got here, guv'nor. Shame if anyfin should... 'appen to it"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 02:59 PM   #3044
p0lka
Master Poster

'I see no evidence of blackmail',

'I thought it was a work event',

stupidity becomes a virtue.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 03:27 PM   #3045
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Inflationary pressures continue...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60067334

Yesterday I bought a 2 litre bottle of own-label fiery ginger beer from Tesco. For years it's been 50p, yesterday it was 60p - that's a 20% price increase.
It's Biden's fault.
Old 20th January 2022, 04:34 PM   #3046
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If the whips are threatening to gerrymander protesting MP's constituencies out of existence, does that mean the Boundary Commission is not independent?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 05:24 PM   #3047
junkshop
Muse

Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I'd trade you guys Trump for Johnson in a heartbeat. Just sayin'...
At least you lot managed to peel Trump off the levers of power, to some extent. Johnson is (embarrassingly) still in office.
Old 21st January 2022, 01:39 AM   #3048
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

If the whips are threatening to gerrymander protesting MP's constituencies out of existence, does that mean the Boundary Commission is not independent?
Maybe the whips don't understand the limits of their powers ?

Maybe the whips do understand them, but don't think the Red Wall MPs do ?

I note from Google this morning that MPs are considering whether to release audio of the alleged "shakedown" by the whips - that should be interesting.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 02:07 AM   #3049
Wudang
BOFH

Chris Brookmyre's description of Rees-Mogg as a "steampunk C3PO" will live forever.
Old 21st January 2022, 02:10 AM   #3050
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Yesterday I bought a 2 litre bottle of own-label fiery ginger beer from Tesco. For years it's been 50p, yesterday it was 60p - that's a 20% price increase.

This Twitter thread from Jack Monroe ("The Bootstrap Cook") is as depressing as hell:
Quote:
Woke up this morning to the radio talking about the cost of living rising a further 5%. It infuriates me the index that they use for this calculation, which grossly underestimates the real cost of inflation as it happens to people with the least. Allow me to briefly explain.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 02:23 AM   #3051
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Make your own? Home made ginger beer is lush and pretty easy - plus you get the traditional British fun of the bottles exploding in your airing cupboard! 😁
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 02:33 AM   #3052
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
This Twitter thread from Jack Monroe ("The Bootstrap Cook") is as depressing as hell:
Very enlightening (and, as you say, depressing), thank you.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 02:45 AM   #3053
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-20/...ty-in-may-2020

Quote:
The warning email - sent by a senior official - told Mr Johnson's principal private secretary Martin Reynolds, the party "should be cancelled because it broke the rules", according to Peston.
Quote:
The official has told Peston he also "probably" personally warned the PM against the party "but I honestly can’t remember".

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 03:05 AM   #3054
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I'd have thought that he'd remember personally warning Boris Johnson against the party - unless it was such a common occurrence that he couldn't remember whether he had warned Boris Johnson on that specific occasion (as opposed to the tens of other times he warned Boris Johnson against parties).
Old 21st January 2022, 03:12 AM   #3055
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Come on. That is so weak and will not hold up. At that time Boris was writing his new book and minor things like running the country and other Prime Ministerial duties were being done by minions.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 03:48 AM   #3056
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trains told to get rid of torrent of 'Tannoy spam'

The DfT said it would be working closely with the Rail Delivery Group and passenger groups such as Transport Focus, as well as train operators, to identify how the "vast number" of announcements could be cut or reduced.

"The review will take place over the course of this year, with redundant messages identified and starting to be removed in the coming months," it added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60069429

Because that's the thing people are worrying about at the moment.
Old 21st January 2022, 03:51 AM   #3057
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Come on. That is so weak and will not hold up. At that time Boris was writing his new book and minor things like running the country and other Prime Ministerial duties were being done by minions.
He wrote a book on Churchill - review here:

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture...oris-churchill

Quote:
“One man who made history” by another who seems just to make it up: Boris on Churchill
Reading Johnson’s The Churchill Factor is like “being harangued for hours by Bertie Wooster” writes Richard J Evans in his withering review from 2015
(I think they mean November 2014 looking at the URL)

Quote:
In a book that involves a good deal of modern European history, Boris the Eurosceptic clearly doesn’t find it necessary to master the details. Croatia, he tells us casually, was ruled by “some Ustasha creep or other” in the interwar years (it was not), while in the same period there was a plague of “communist uprisings in eastern Europe” (there was not). The Cecilienhof Palace in Potsdam, he writes in his offhand way, was “originally intended for some minor offshoot of the Hohenzollern dynasty” (it was not – it was built for the crown prince, heir to the German throne). He thinks that German industrial relations before 1914 were characterised by “co-operation between bosses and workers” (they were not). Hitler did not plan to kill the disabled, as he claims: most of the disabled in Germany in the 1930s were war veterans. The Germans did not capture Stalingrad, though this book claims they did.
There seem to be a small group of Stalingrad deniers who think that the Germans did capture Stalingrad - not just most of it and in a way that they were unable to exploit and indeed were destroyed.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 12:53 PM   #3058
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

There seem to be a small group of Stalingrad deniers who think that the Germans did capture Stalingrad - not just most of it and in a way that they were unable to exploit and indeed were destroyed.
Here is a link to the most thorough treatment of Stalingrad I have seen.

It starts from 21st of July 1942 to the 2nd of February 1943 and covers the fighting on the Don leading up to the actual seige of the city.

31 videos so far taking it up to the 23rd of October 1942. They are all around 40 to 50 minutes long so around 22 hours so far.
Lots more to come

they are very good, his straight history vids are all good, his economics videos not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UtBP2pxYdCYiXX
Old 21st January 2022, 02:17 PM   #3059
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Here is a link to the most thorough treatment of Stalingrad I have seen.

It starts from 21st of July 1942 to the 2nd of February 1943 and covers the fighting on the Don leading up to the actual seige of the city.

31 videos so far taking it up to the 23rd of October 1942. They are all around 40 to 50 minutes long so around 22 hours so far.
Lots more to come

they are very good, his straight history vids are all good, his economics videos not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UtBP2pxYdCYiXX
I knew who you meant with that phrase.

I saw something of his on logistics that went off on one, due to Austrian school interpretation of logistics

Old 21st January 2022, 02:19 PM   #3060
catsmate
No longer the 1

[quote=jimbob;13709766]I knew who you meant with that phrase.

I saw something of his on logistics that went off on one, due to Austrian school interpretation of logistics[/QUOTE]
I hesitate to ask...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 03:32 PM   #3061
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I knew who you meant with that phrase.

I saw something of his on logistics that went off on one, due to Austrian school interpretation of logistics
Yes, he put forward the idea that logistics problems could be solved by making the various front line units buy their ammunition from self employed drivers who would buy the needed supplies and use their own transport to get it to the purchaser.
His idea was that those in most need would offer a higher price for the supplies so they would go to where they were most needed.
Old 21st January 2022, 03:34 PM   #3062
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Christopher HopeMemo
@christopherhope
EXCLUSIVE Scotland Yard will meet with a leading Conservative MP to discuss claims of threats and blackmail of rebel Tory backbenchers by Government whips, The @Telegraph can disclose.
A detective from the Metropolitan Police will meet with William Wragg early next week. 1/2

It's a major escalation in the battle between the Government's whips and a minority of increasingly angry Conservative backbenchers, frustrated with Boris Johnson's leadership.
Any Met investigation could become a major distraction to the Government. Full story shortly 2/2

William Wragg told me: "I stand by what I have said. No amount of gas-lighting will change that.
"The offer of Number 10 to investigate is kind but I shall leave it to the experts.
"I am meeting the Police early next week."

One source in the Government's whips' office told The Daily Telegraph that the claims of threats and blackmail were "complete b***", and said to ask the rebels for "for a single shred of evidence".

Downing Street signalled that the Government would not seek out evidence following the allegations of blackmail by whips.
A spokesman for the Prime Minister said "we would look at it very carefully" if evidence was presented to them.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 21st January 2022 at 03:36 PM.
Old 21st January 2022, 04:28 PM   #3063
catsmate
No longer the 1

Yes, he put forward the idea that logistics problems could be solved by making the various front line units buy their ammunition from self employed drivers who would buy the needed supplies and use their own transport to get it to the purchaser.
His idea was that those in most need would offer a higher price for the supplies so they would go to where they were most needed.

Libertarianism really is a mental disease.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 05:24 PM   #3064
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Tobias Ellwood chairman of the defence select committee proposes military takeover of No 10.

Bringing in a senior officer to take charge of day-to-day running of Downing Street would provide the public with a 'sense of assurance'.

a minister suggesting bringing in the military to sort out number 10 rather than sacking the lying, law-breaking Prime Minister and another one made a speech about getting rid of announcements on trains.

The Tories have lost the plot.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 21st January 2022 at 05:31 PM.
Old 21st January 2022, 07:34 PM   #3065
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

That's a touch concerning.

"Let's have a military coup, nothing ever goes wrong with those" isn't something I expected even from this bunch of whacked out loonies.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:04 AM   #3066
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Well tbh "get the army in" is the go to answer when the government has messed up everything else.

Not enough drivers - get the army in
No fuel - get the army in
Floods - get the army in

And so on...
Old 22nd January 2022, 02:16 AM   #3067
Stee
Thinker

Pesky peasants demanding answers over my booze fuelled work life - get the army in!
"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Stee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 03:37 AM   #3068
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

We know why Boris Johnson sees himself as Churchill.

DOMINIC (for it is he): Sir, you are drunk!

JOHNSON: And you are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 03:52 AM   #3069
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Tobias Ellwood chairman of the defence select committee proposes military takeover of No 10.

Bringing in a senior officer to take charge of day-to-day running of Downing Street would provide the public with a 'sense of assurance'.

a minister suggesting bringing in the military to sort out number 10 rather than sacking the lying, law-breaking Prime Minister and another one made a speech about getting rid of announcements on trains.

The Tories have lost the plot.
Evidence?

To have lost the plot they would have had to have the plot in the first place!
Old 22nd January 2022, 05:06 AM   #3070
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I hope Sajid Javid doesn't read this....

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 11:21 AM   #3071
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

That was the one.

It actually made me wonder at his analyses elsewhere too.

It falls over at so many levels.

Old 22nd January 2022, 01:29 PM   #3072
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Was Milo Minderbinder involved?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 01:36 PM   #3073
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I hope Sajid Javid doesn't read this....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 01:43 PM   #3074
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

That was the one.

It actually made me wonder at his analyses elsewhere too.

It falls over at so many levels.
His straight ww2 history is good. His series on Stalingrad, Operations Battleaxe and Crusader, the Courland Pocket and Market Garden are very thorough.
Old 22nd January 2022, 02:10 PM   #3075
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nusrat Ghani: I was sacked as a minister ‘because I was a Muslim’

A Conservative MP has accused a party whip of telling her she was fired from her ministerial job because her Muslim faith was “making colleagues uncomfortable”.

Nusrat Ghani, 49, was sacked as a transport minister in a mini-reshuffle in February 2020. She claimed she was told by a whip that her “Muslimness was raised as an issue” at a meeting in Downing Street and that her “Muslim woman minister status was making colleagues feel uncomfortable”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...slim-p38lmvlvg
Old 22nd January 2022, 03:41 PM   #3076
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Govt source says the accusation made by Nus Ghani that she was told by a whip that she was sacked as a minister because she was a Muslim is "categorically untrue"

A spokesperson on behalf of the Whips Office said:
“These claims are categorically untrue. Ministerial roles are appointed on merit and rewards for hard work. The Conservative Party does not tolerate any form of racism or discrimination.”
Old 22nd January 2022, 05:13 PM   #3077
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Gavin Williamson said he’d withdraw school money if MP didn’t vote against feeding kids
Tory minister sacked for “Muslimness”
Chief whip tweets & deletes admission
Sue Gray has damning evidence
Tory MPs want Met to look into parties

And that’s just today
Old 22nd January 2022, 05:44 PM   #3078
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I'm old enough to remember when Bird & Fortune were parody rather than commentary.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 11:32 PM   #3079
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Govt source says the accusation made by Nus Ghani that she was told by a whip that she was sacked as a minister because she was a Muslim is "categorically untrue"

A spokesperson on behalf of the Whips Office said:
“These claims are categorically untrue. Ministerial roles are appointed on merit and rewards for hard work. The Conservative Party does not tolerate any form of racism or discrimination.”
Well, a quick look at the Cabinet shows that to be clearly untrue.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2022, 02:49 AM   #3080
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Well, a quick look at the Cabinet shows that to be clearly untrue.
It is hard work promoting, supporting and defending the Tories, especially if you have a conscience.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics