IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , diseases , medical conspiracies

Reply
Old Today, 01:40 PM   #1201
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 10,636
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
May I suggest he take a long vacation to India, Sub-Saharan Africa or other unhealthy places and see how his vaunted health holds up? I wonder if he thinks vitamins will stop malaria?
Indeed. Penicillin, smallpox vaccine, insulin - all just money making scams. People could have attained the same results by eating better. I suspect Tippit will also maintain that the reason that during the twentieth century, life expectancy at birth increased from 48 to 74 years for men, and from 51 to almost 80 years for women is entirely due to vitamins.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:46 PM   #1202
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,748
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
Most health gains are due to modern sanitation and nutrition, not modern medicine. Perhaps if your friends and relatives focused more on nutrition rather than proprietary "medicines" with long lists of toxic side effects, they wouldn't have had to depend on so-called medical science to survive in the first place. I would barely trust a hospital to set a broken bone, today.
This is about fixing things that are nothing to do with those things.

Improved sanitation might reduce your exposure to certain diseases, but you will still need medical science if you come across them. Or vaccinations if you know you're going somewhere where it's likely. You are very unlikely to get cholera these days, but you won't do very well without medical science if you do.

Better diet and sanitation are very much related to increased longevity. A by product of that longevity is increased incidence (amongst other things) of cancer.

People who deny themselves the benefits of medical science when it is needed usually do one of two things: they either recant when the pain kicks in or they die. Sometimes they recant when it's too late and then they die. See the many examples in this thread.
__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:25 PM   #1203
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator
 
W.D.Clinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,160
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
Not only am I stronger, fitter, and healthier than you,
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You don't know how strong, fit and healthy I am.
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
I'm an athlete who plays competitive basketball and football. It's a safe bet that I am.
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
How do you know I'm not?
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
It seems likely based on what I've gathered.

A few decades ago, already over 15 years removed from my years of competitive running, I struck up a runner's acquaintance with an Olympian in training who held more than one American record. One day I saw her starting her run just as I had completed my first loop around a mile-long track. I resolved to stay ahead of her as long as I could, and somehow managed to stay ahead until I had finished my four miles. I waited for her at the turn so I could say hello as she flew by, but she stopped and put her hands on her knees to catch her breath, saying she was supposed to run only three miles that day. Then she looked at me and said, "Well you're looking fit!"

That was the last time I ever saw her in person.

I remember that day and laugh whenever some Internet rando tells me he's so much fitter than I am. It doesn't happen often, but more often than you might expect.

That was a long time ago, of course. A couple of years ago, when I ran in a half-marathon race, my pace was about 45% slower than in my prime. In my heyday, I'd have finished third. Even so, there were twice as many runners behind me as in front of me.

Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
We can't all be mesomorphs, bruh.
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
I have a BMI of 24.4

My condolences. My own BMI has grown as well, though not quite so much.

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
I seem to remember Tippit saying he was over 60 years old.

There were a few guys over 60 in front of me, but not many. IIRC, only one was my age or older. Must have been Tippit; if so, he's gained a lot of weight since then.

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I'm Hollywood handsome and cowboy tough, a Green Beret and my girlfriend is prettier than yours.
Originally Posted by welshdean View Post


I'm a playboy 'bunny-girl'.

Ah, the wonders and anonymity of the internet 'eh. You gotta love it!

edit: You continuously play musical chairs with the truth, why should anyone believe this BS.
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Oh relax.

Hey, look what relaxing did for me! Suddenly I can benchpress 375 lbs (if the purty girls are watching, & they always are) and my car is a 2023 Lamborghini and all the big investors hang on my least little word and I know all the cool celebs (I just take a message and get back to 'em; sometimes) and God says I'll never croak no matter what and

I I I I MEEEEE!

Thank you, thank you, you're a great crowd. Sure, I despise you, but what else wouldja 'spect?
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I am Odysseus, son of LaŽrtes. Just ask the Cyclops what a bad ass dude I be.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:28 PM   #1204
MBDK
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
they either recant when the pain kicks in or they die
Is the post-mortem recant via Ouija board, medium, or other paranormal method? Asking for a friend.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:44 PM   #1205
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 30,663
Originally Posted by MBDK View Post
Is the post-mortem recant via Ouija board, medium, or other paranormal method? Asking for a friend.
It's an "opt-out" recant but the document takes so long to read that nobody has yet got around to ticking the box.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:52 PM   #1206
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 7,168
W. D. Clinger! Ahem!

You forget that the Big T lives in Florida. Surely you've heard of the Zimmer Frame League? They even have a Bingo Division. T plays for the Miami Spider Canes; he's part of their offensive lineup. Yes, very offensive.
__________________
If you would learn a man's character, give him authority.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:24 PM   #1207
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 75,024
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
People like you have so much unswerving faith in this thing called “science”, and yet have such little ability to spot ******** masquerading as science.
“What do you think science is? There's nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. Which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?”

- Steven Novella
__________________
We are all #KenBehrens
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:29 PM   #1208
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 19,240
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
ďWhat do you think science is? There's nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. Which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?Ē

- Steven Novella
I think Tiptip's real beef is that we can spot ******** masquerading as science.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:32 PM   #1209
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 75,024
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I think Tiptip's real beef is that we can spot ******** masquerading as science.
In fact, that's exactly what science is designed to do.
__________________
We are all #KenBehrens
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:25 PM   #1210
Tippit
Illuminator
 
Tippit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,854
Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
A few decades ago, already over 15 years removed from my years of competitive running, I struck up a runner's acquaintance with an Olympian in training who held more than one American record. One day I saw her starting her run just as I had completed my first loop around a mile-long track. I resolved to stay ahead of her as long as I could, and somehow managed to stay ahead until I had finished my four miles. I waited for her at the turn so I could say hello as she flew by, but she stopped and put her hands on her knees to catch her breath, saying she was supposed to run only three miles that day. Then she looked at me and said, "Well you're looking fit!"

That was the last time I ever saw her in person.

I remember that day and laugh whenever some Internet rando tells me he's so much fitter than I am. It doesn't happen often, but more often than you might expect.

That was a long time ago, of course. A couple of years ago, when I ran in a half-marathon race, my pace was about 45% slower than in my prime. In my heyday, I'd have finished third. Even so, there were twice as many runners behind me as in front of me.
There are different levels of fit. I've never been a fan of endurance running, but it's a safe bet that I will outsprint you, and outplay you at my sports. I'm definitely an internet rando, but I'm probably in the 95th percentile of the general population for overall athletic ability. If you google image marathon runners, they're all emaciated and thin ectomorphs. Not my idea of fit. If you google image sprinters, they're chiseled mesomorphs, a much healthier and more ideal body type.

The good news is, neither of us is liable to be seriously injured by Covid.
__________________
"Allowing human beings to create unlimited money out of nothing inevitably results in the most monstrous of conspiracies."
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:29 PM   #1211
Tippit
Illuminator
 
Tippit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,854
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
ďWhat do you think science is? There's nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. Which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?Ē

- Steven Novella
I don't disagree with any of that. Now lets talk about why anti-selection bias for non-patentable treatments, and why randomized controlled trial bias lead to anti-scientific results, due to incentives.
__________________
"Allowing human beings to create unlimited money out of nothing inevitably results in the most monstrous of conspiracies."
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:09 PM   #1212
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 75,024
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
I don't disagree with any of that. Now lets talk about why anti-selection bias for non-patentable treatments, and why randomized controlled trial bias lead to anti-scientific results, due to incentives.
First let's establish that they do.

You're basically implicating every single person in the medical and pharmaceutical industries all across the world in deliberate and conscious fraud, after all. That's literally hundreds of millions of people that you allege are heartless psychopathic maniacs who are only out for their own profit and don't care about the suffering of other human beings. And that's not even including the people in the banking and finance industries, who you claim are also part of this vast conspiracy. And you're alleging that these people have all agreed to work together to perpetrate this fraud on the rest of us, despite the fact that such people tend not to work well with others. And that somehow they are doing this without falling afoul of law enforcement and regulators, who are also therefore part of the conspiracy.

For your paranoid fantasy to be consistent, the number of people who would need to be in on the conspiracy is astronomical. What you propose cannot be achieved by a shadowy few working in secret. It can only work if it involves hundreds of millions of absolute psychopaths all working together in lockstep to achieve some vague goal at some unspecified future time. This is the world that you propose exists.

It's utterly absurd. And the worst part of it is that the actual conspiracy to harm people is the one that's promoting the misinformation that you parrot.
__________________
We are all #KenBehrens
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:09 PM   #1213
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,701
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
There are different levels of fit. I've never been a fan of endurance running, but it's a safe bet that I will outsprint you . . .
Impossible. I've ordered an Acme jetpack and I will crush you.
Quote:
The good news is, neither of us is liable to be seriously injured by Covid.
That's what all the cement-heads detailed at Sorry Antivaxxer said right before they croaked if from COVID.
__________________
ďOne of the last things they do before theyíre intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that Iím sorry, but itís too late.Ē

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:11 PM   #1214
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,701
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
<disinformationsnip>
There, better.
__________________
ďOne of the last things they do before theyíre intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that Iím sorry, but itís too late.Ē

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:24 PM   #1215
Tippit
Illuminator
 
Tippit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,854
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
First let's establish that they do.

You're basically implicating every single person in the medical and pharmaceutical industries all across the world in deliberate and conscious fraud, after all. That's literally hundreds of millions of people that you allege are heartless psychopathic maniacs who are only out for their own profit and don't care about the suffering of other human beings. And that's not even including the people in the banking and finance industries, who you claim are also part of this vast conspiracy. And you're alleging that these people have all agreed to work together to perpetrate this fraud on the rest of us, despite the fact that such people tend not to work well with others. And that somehow they are doing this without falling afoul of law enforcement and regulators, who are also therefore part of the conspiracy.

For your paranoid fantasy to be consistent, the number of people who would need to be in on the conspiracy is astronomical. What you propose cannot be achieved by a shadowy few working in secret. It can only work if it involves hundreds of millions of absolute psychopaths all working together in lockstep to achieve some vague goal at some unspecified future time. This is the world that you propose exists.

It's utterly absurd. And the worst part of it is that the actual conspiracy to harm people is the one that's promoting the misinformation that you parrot.

Nope. Think harder.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Allowing human beings to create unlimited money out of nothing inevitably results in the most monstrous of conspiracies."
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:50 PM   #1216
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,201
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
Nope. Think harder.
Thatís it? Thatís what you have?
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:16 PM   #1217
Tippit
Illuminator
 
Tippit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,854
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Thatís it? Thatís what you have?

There are lots of resources about the New World Order conspiracy that you can read about, I donít need to re-hash it here. If you donít understand some basic concepts like compartmentalization, and how human beings respond to incentives, you will have trouble understanding it. None of the ridiculous conditions that he mentioned are required.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Allowing human beings to create unlimited money out of nothing inevitably results in the most monstrous of conspiracies."
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:44 PM   #1218
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 16,906
Tippit leaves the thinking to Alex Jones.
__________________
"Metaphysics is a restaurant where they give you a thirty thousand page menu, and no food."

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:44 PM   #1219
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,201
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
There are lots of resources about the New World Order conspiracy that you can read about, I donít need to re-hash it here.
There are resources about how irrational the NWO conspiracy is, too.
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
If you donít understand some basic concepts like compartmentalization, and how human beings respond to incentives, you will have trouble understanding it.
If you donít understand how conspiratorial thinking works, youíll have trouble, too.

So, those types of replies that you offered to me donít get us anywhere, do they? Can you try to reply substantively to Aís post? On the other hand, if itís too tedious or time consuming or boring or whatever, thatís fine as far as Iím concerned, but just name it and own it, please.
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.