ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th March 2020, 03:30 PM   #1801
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Strictly for the purposes of appreciating this particular gripe, do you think that savvy users who find themselves a (sometimes reluctant) resource for assorted relatives and friends could include themselves as people inside IT?

Because I think I can feel your pain.

My mother is having problems with the streaming service Britbox we got her for an Xmas present. What's the problem? I don't know. She starts explaining "it just stops when I'm watching something, like this episode of Midsomer Murders where this lady drank this cup of tea and..." an hour later I've gotten her ideas of what the plot was, and which actors she recognized from other shows, but not the technical problem.

So now I just cut her off early with a helpful suggestion that she ask my sister, who knows all about this kind of problem.
Old 26th March 2020, 03:47 PM   #1802
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Massive fustercluck going on right now. No-one know's what's going wrong but it's affecting pretty much everyone who's working from home, which apparently is nearly half the workforce. We're getting conflicting information about some computers that have reverted to the Professional version of windows rather than the Enterprise version but that's very obviously not the entire story.

How's your day going?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 07:04 PM   #1803
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
How's your day going?
You ever tried reading a Bitlocker recovery key to a 63 year old nursing assistant from your cell phone to her speaker phone while her dog yips in the background?
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 07:38 PM   #1804
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You ever tried reading a Bitlocker recovery key to a 63 year old nursing assistant from your cell phone to her speaker phone while her dog yips in the background?
I think you've got me on that one. But how about this? A non-standard proprietary piece of software has stopped working. It's a business critical application, there is no workaround, and the whole team is affected. Team being 15 people. It qualifies for Priority 3, but given everything else that's going on...

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 08:25 AM   #1805
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I think you've got me on that one. But how about this? A non-standard proprietary piece of software has stopped working. It's a business critical application, there is no workaround, and the whole team is affected. Team being 15 people. It qualifies for Priority 3, but given everything else that's going on...
We had a data collection app where someone had mis-set a CRON schedule for a database info pull. They'd set it to * * * * * ?, So it ran every second. Just finished getting that one sorted.
Old 27th March 2020, 09:22 AM   #1806
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's slightly saner today. The users are getting settled into working from home and all the little quirks and remaining issues are getting knocked out.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:58 PM   #1807
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Talking

Last update, 89% percent of my service is working from home, full time.

Sadly a related agency performed an update that locked 90% of them out of Citrix for a day. Fortunately, barely any of my team were affected because of the specific method we're using.

On Thursday night, I was performing scripted data updates remotely, with assistance from four other team members (including a DBA) who were also working from home.

Miraculously, our work was completed and everything back online and fully operational before the Citrix outage (10PM).

We were cutting it fine towards the end, and I confess to experiencing a little anxiety.

(Worst case though, I would have had to drive in and complete the work locally, along with a couple of other team members).

If even had my first Zoom meeting with a couple of colleagues.

(We didn't connect via the government network)

Next week I get to find out if we can make webex work.
Old 28th March 2020, 06:45 AM   #1808
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Reportedly, my company (OpenText) as of early last week was 97% remote work. Mind you, we're a technology company; R&D, in particular, is mostly software developers (who, in theory should be comfortable with remote work).
Old 28th March 2020, 12:31 PM   #1809
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

No way I can work form home. The type of service we do is hands on, even when our hands are on a long stick or an IR remote control (much equipment is 12 to 20 ft in the air). Just got, finally, a company letter asserting I'm an essential worker in an essential industry. So far I haven't been challenged.

Some years ago I found that a universal leaning remote could work with some of our equipment and have been using one since then. I have some series of usual recovery operations programmed as macros. With a remote control camera enabled car or drone I could do some recoveries remotely. However, others would still require physical contact, whether that be with the long stick or us up on ladders and/or scaffolding.

Last edited by The Man; 28th March 2020 at 12:32 PM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 07:28 PM   #1810
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I am very glad that today I am working from home and not from work. I took a look at the wallboard and we had a 20 minute wait for calls. That's the longest I've ever seen it.

- Randall Munroe
Old 30th March 2020, 12:03 PM   #1811
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

ERROR MESSAGES PEOPLE!

Give us a little bit of information about the problem you're having, or you're just wasting everybody's time.
There is an upside to that...

My old company had a two business hour response time to new tickets and an internal policy that all new tickets should be responded to at close of business. "Could you maybe give us a clue about what software you're using and what the actual problem is?" was a legitimate first response.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 12:09 PM   #1812
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Massive fustercluck going on right now. No-one know's what's going wrong but it's affecting pretty much everyone who's working from home, which apparently is nearly half the workforce. We're getting conflicting information about some computers that have reverted to the Professional version of windows rather than the Enterprise version but that's very obviously not the entire story.

How's your day going?
Well, all my dogs were total bastards today. Including the bitches. And one of them slipped her lead and ran away. But on the other hand I didn't have to go through logs , my hourly rate was better than I ever got in IT and most of my dogs are smarter than the users were. Those that aren't are cuter (okay to be fair there was this one young lady in... No not gonna go there)

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 04:01 PM   #1813
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Desk-side really are the foot soldiers. Last couple of weeks have been some rapid office set ups and bulk laptop builds. Running stuff between sites today. All the while taking this virus seriously with temperature checks and sanitising of hands and equipment. Help desk hand overs too.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 30th March 2020 at 04:03 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 08:14 PM   #1814
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The thing that's been impressing me the most about this whole situation is how chill everyone is being about it. We have systems falling apart, well not quite but it seems that way sometimes. We have 20-minute wait times on the phones. We have a 2-day backlog of emails. And everybody we speak to is like "yeah, no worries, you guys must be swamped, totally understand, you're doing a great job".

Which is nice to hear.

- Randall Munroe
Old 1st April 2020, 05:48 AM   #1815
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Stop leaving me voicemails saying that "generic first name" person needs my help.

We're in the medical field. 95% of our 750+ users are middle aged or slightly older women. Half of them are named Sarah or Kimberly or Susan it feels like.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 1st April 2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM   #1816
Donal
Illuminator

Mac users are the worst. Paying a premium to have a fancy shiny thing and they don't even bother to learn the basics. And added security requirements in Catalina are not helping.

Also: "this function required for working from home hasn't worked for months, but I need you guys to fix it now"

Your procrastination is not my emergency.

Last edited by Donal; Yesterday at 07:55 AM.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #1817
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Mac users are the worst. Paying a premium to have a fancy shiny thing and they don't even bother to learn the basics. And added security requirements in Catalina are not helping.

Also: "this function required for working from home hasn't worked for months, but I need you guys to fix it now"

Your procrastination is not my emergency.
I don't think that's fair. Most people aren't very computer-savvy. Certainly not to the point of proactively validating tools they're not actually using.

"This function I've never needed before, that didn't affect my work and isn't part of my skillset, turns out to be broken right when the company you and I both work for need it the most. As the experts in these things, I'm depending on you to get it fixed as soon as you can."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #1818
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Mac users are the worst. Paying a premium to have a fancy shiny thing and they don't even bother to learn the basics.
Also, having been both a Mac user and a PC user, and having supported both Mac users and PC users, my perception is there is no meaningful difference between them, in terms of computer-related skills and mindsets.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #1819
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't think that's fair. Most people aren't very computer-savvy. Certainly not to the point of proactively validating tools they're not actually using.

"This function I've never needed before, that didn't affect my work and isn't part of my skillset, turns out to be broken right when the company you and I both work for need it the most. As the experts in these things, I'm depending on you to get it fixed as soon as you can."
We run department-wide work from home testing. People are either lying about their results or simply not participating. And if you find a problem when you are working from home, we have 24-hour coverage to assist. There's no reason to let something like that go for months and then expect us to have an instant solution while we are dealing with a deluge of problems.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #1820
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

The thing that's been impressing me the most about this whole situation is how chill everyone is being about it. We have systems falling apart, well not quite but it seems that way sometimes. We have 20-minute wait times on the phones. We have a 2-day backlog of emails. And everybody we speak to is like "yeah, no worries, you guys must be swamped, totally understand, you're doing a great job".

Which is nice to hear.
Not all heroes wear capes.

You desktop/end user facing admins must be swamped with all the WFH these days.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM   #1821
plague311
Great minds think...

Reading the last few pages makes me even more grateful for working at a small business! I have 5 remote users. I bought a 5 pack of sonicwall SSL licenses, linked to AD, and turned on the VPN to the WAN port. After that, 15 minutes of testing and we were done. All things said and done I enabled my entire office to do work from home for $250, and 40 minutes of time invested. Booya.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #1822
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Not all heroes wear capes.

You desktop/end user facing admins must be swamped with all the WFH these days.
We actually got pulled from supporting internal users and had to triage client calls 2 weeks ago because our customer service department got overwhelmed.
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #1823
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Also, having been both a Mac user and a PC user, and having supported both Mac users and PC users, my perception is there is no meaningful difference between them, in terms of computer-related skills and mindsets.
On the whole, I don't disagree, but this is for corporate use and we make the work from home requirements very clear. We make the remote access validation dependant on the role of the user, so you know what you need for your specific job. If, after all that, you still choose to pay a premium for a luxury brand, understanding how to properly remove an application or where your audio settings are is a small ask to help us with our workflow.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #1824
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This week we appear to be keeping up quite well. The queues certainly seem more under control.

Wish my promotion and security clearance would come through, though. I'm starting to think I've been lost.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #1825
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I should have said something weeks ago. I just received my letter of offer for the permanent promotion. I'll print it out, sign it, and return it when I go in to the office tomorrow.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #1826
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I should have said something weeks ago. I just received my letter of offer for the permanent promotion. I'll print it out, sign it, and return it when I go in to the office tomorrow.
You're in a government department. You're lucky that letter arrived any time in 2020.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #1827
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
You're in a government department. You're lucky that letter arrived any time in 2020.
It certainly didn't help that the letter went all the way to HR's desk before HR said "yeah, we have a different system now" and made us start all over again.

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet