IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 28th February 2020, 07:37 PM   #361
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Ahh.

From your wording I took it as you not bothering to actually read the post.

I think it was your "Without even reviewing your bulleted list" that did it .

All good.

I actually agree with your point that he did hire them and is ultimately responsible for policy.

But unless you actually want a puppet master for a prez. The prez is not responsible for every word or deed employees do.

As long as they rebuke them in some way if they get it wrong.

Same as any boss
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 07:45 PM   #362
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Ahh.

From your wording I took it as you not bothering to actually read the post.

I think it was your "Without even reviewing your bulleted list" that did it .

All good.

I actually agree with your point that he did hire them and is ultimately responsible for policy.

But unless you actually want a puppet master for a prez. The prez is not responsible for every word or deed employees do.

As long as they rebuke them in some way if they get it wrong.

Same as any boss

LMFAO!!!!

With this "president"?

Yeah, right.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:02 PM   #363
cullennz
Banned

LMFAO!!!!

With this "president"?

Yeah, right.
Your paranoid fixation that Trump is the worst person to ever walk on two legs aside, it doesn't change the fact you do not know and are just going on personal hatred.

Which is frankly irrational. And weird on a skeptics forum.

I doubt he did either if it worked in his favour.

But that just makes him less of an idiot as you say he is politicly
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:02 PM   #364
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
"We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical."
Trump, today. Linky.

I hereby apologize for all the times I have said Trump isn't necessarily stupid, just ignorant. He's really ******* stupid.
Old 28th February 2020, 08:41 PM   #365
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump won't need the virus to try to remain in office if defeated. He'll just claim massive fraud and use the courts. Probably starting well before the election.
FYI, Confederate battle flag-waving idiots have already been spotted hanging around outside early voting spots in North Carolina. Dunno if anyone called the cops to shoo them off as of yet - and of course, conservatives aren't nearly as outraged as they were that time two NBPP dudes with *one* nightstick stood outside a polling place in a black neighborhood in 2008 (which, for reference, still stupid, but they were supposedly guarding the polling area against imagined white people looking to intimidate black voters, while the Confederate flag wavers were likely trying to intimidate black voters).
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:44 PM   #366
cullennz
Banned

Trump, today. Linky.

I hereby apologize for all the times I have said Trump isn't necessarily stupid, just ignorant. He's really ******* stupid.
Lol

He is indeed possibly the dimmest prez the US has ever voted in.

Mind you Bush jnr is up there

But tbf it is funny watching stuff he says.

When he is forced to stand down in about 5 years they should bring out a best of video.
Old 28th February 2020, 09:48 PM   #367
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I see that he said like a miracle instead of a miracle...

It's being used as a figure of speech. It's not a suggestion that it would be a miracle - which is an act of God or paranormal or supernatural.
The cargo cult of science. Scientists can magically fix all our problems, from new diseases to global warming. We don't have to bother about doing anything ourselves.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 09:52 PM   #368
a_unique_person

Trump, today. Linky.

His face looks stranger than ever. What's with his eyes and skin around the eyes. It looks like he has a new makeup artist as well.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 10:23 PM   #369
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
His face looks stranger than ever. What's with his eyes and skin around the eyes. It looks like he has a new makeup artist as well.
No big deal as I find the post funny. It starts to look a bit needy when people resort to someone's body appearance.
Old 28th February 2020, 10:25 PM   #370
cullennz
Banned

Though bearing in mind I call him the orange idiott, I should probably not comment on that.
Old 28th February 2020, 10:29 PM   #371
Cabbage
Banned

Your paranoid fixation that Trump is the worst person to ever walk on two legs aside, it doesn't change the fact you do not know and are just going on personal hatred.

Nope. I'm going on Trump's track record.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 10:38 PM   #372
cullennz
Banned

Nope. I'm going on Trump's track record.
Not quite sure why you had to highlight once sentence in a quote redacted that small but all good.

Can you point out his track record being bad with regard to COVID-19.

Cheers
Old 28th February 2020, 11:09 PM   #373
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

No big deal as I find the post funny. It starts to look a bit needy when people resort to someone's body appearance.
It's not his body, it's what he chooses to do with it: the ridiculous spray tanning is, frankly, bizarre in a man his age and position.
Old 28th February 2020, 11:35 PM   #374
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's not his body, it's what he chooses to do with it: the ridiculous spray tanning is, frankly, bizarre in a man his age and position.
Probably a good point tbf. Given I call him the orange idiot.

But then I am not a yank and get special privileges.

(Cool smiley wearing sunglasses)
Old 28th February 2020, 11:56 PM   #375
Cabbage
Banned

Not quite sure why you had to highlight once sentence in a quote redacted that small but all good.

Cheers

Sure. The very same fact check article that you mocked and ignored, beginning this exchange. Maybe you should try paying attention to what you read?
Old 29th February 2020, 12:00 AM   #376
cullennz
Banned

Sure. The very same fact check article that you mocked and ignored, beginning this exchange. Maybe you should try paying attention to what you read?
So his idiotic comment that the flu is worse is it?

Which has been covered.

Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 12:03 AM   #377
Cabbage
Banned

So his idiotic comment that the flu is worse is it?

Which has been covered.

Thanks

There were several things listed.

Which you have ignored.

You're Welcome!
Old 29th February 2020, 12:06 AM   #378
cullennz
Banned

There were several things listed.

Which you have ignored.

You're Welcome!
Well no.

This argument is becoming a bit circular.

Just point out in the fact check where my points were wrong. It ain't hard.
Old 29th February 2020, 12:09 AM   #379
Cabbage
Banned

Well no.

Already done, bro.
Old 29th February 2020, 12:10 AM   #380
cullennz
Banned

Put it this way.

You said you couldn't be bothered reading my post.

And commenting

Forgive me if your opinions don't mean much
Old 29th February 2020, 12:24 AM   #381
Cabbage
Banned

Put it this way.

You said you couldn't be bothered reading my post.

And commenting

Forgive me if your opinions don't mean much

I said I couldn't be bothered reviewing your post. Reading comprehension, bro. Get you some.

I did in fact read it the first time through. I just didn't feel like going back to reference it when I knew, off the top of my head, some Trump ass kissing comments you made. And I quoted them for you. And, to boot it all, for some reason you acted surprised and disbelieving when I told you what you yourself had posted.

Did you forget what you said in just a few short hours???
Old 29th February 2020, 12:37 AM   #382
cullennz
Banned

I said I couldn't be bothered reviewing your post. Reading comprehension, bro. Get you some.

I did in fact read it the first time through. I just didn't feel like going back to reference it when I knew, off the top of my head, some Trump ass kissing comments you made. And I quoted them for you. And, to boot it all, for some reason you acted surprised and disbelieving when I told you what you yourself had posted.

Did you forget what you said in just a few short hours???
Considering this will probably be moved to Beyond all hope or whatever

Which Trump ass kissing comments

It is humorous by the way you think I give a **** whether he wins or loses.
Old 29th February 2020, 01:10 AM   #383
Cabbage
Banned

Considering this will probably be moved to Beyond all hope or whatever

Which Trump ass kissing commentsp

Already been addressed, son:

To start with, without even reviewing your bulleted list, I recall from memory at least two cases where you are excusing Trump for the actions of those within the Trump administration. Trump hired the people in his administration yet for some reason you are excusing Trump for the faults of his own administration. That's what I call kissing his ass.

Quote:
It is humorous by the way you think I give a **** whether he wins or loses.

Nothing I have said would indicate I think this, nor do I actually think this. But it is humorous that you think I think this. Try reading what I write for a change.

Oh, and try comprehending it for a change, too!
Old 29th February 2020, 01:42 AM   #384
cullennz
Banned

A) please stop calling me son. You obviously still can and can be annoying but all good.

B) You just stuck up for a crap article

She ain't rocket science. Good luck with that.
Old 29th February 2020, 03:15 AM   #385
a_unique_person

I find Trump funny. His eyes are very puffy and he has changed his makeup.
Old 29th February 2020, 04:44 AM   #386
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Trump blames Dems for the stock market crash instead of the virus:

Nevermind that the debates hadn't happened yet. As for Trump, he's saying it's not that bad and the only reason it's being made out to be a big deal is to hurt him in the election:

I submit this as more evidence that Trump is a mother ******* moron.
Not to mention that he is now claiming that the coronavirus a hoax by the Dems.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/trum...-new-hoax.html

The window to contain this contagion within the USA is either closing very fast, or has already done so. Calling it a "hoax" is a very, very dangerous game to be playing.

Trump is fiddling while America burns.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 29th February 2020 at 04:53 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 05:28 AM   #387
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/AliceOllstein/st...19342710611968

Quote:
Pence told Rush Limbaugh today that his handling of the HIV outbreak in Indiana was "the main reason" Trump appointed him to lead on coronavirus
Oh, goodie.
Old 29th February 2020, 05:45 AM   #388
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Cheers
I enumerate, in no particular order

1. He stated incorrectly that coronavirus will disappear in a few days.

2. He stated incorrectly that it is less dangerous and has a lower kill rate than the flu.

3. He has overruled the CDC, a department that is expert in dealing with contagions, outbreaks and epidemics, and containing them.

4. He is calling coronavirus a Democrat hoax.

5. He overruled medical experts and ordered passengers from a cruise ship who had tested positive for the virus from a cruise ship to to flown back to the USA IN THE SAME PLANE AS THE OTHER 300 PASSENGERS, a move that put all those "clear" passengers at risks of infection.

6. He flew them all to Travls AFB (Solano Country CA) for quarantine, and then promptly broke the quarantine by sending unprepared, unprotected and inexperienced staff from HHS (NOT the department that is supposed to deal with outbreaks) to visit the passengers. The staff then stayed in hotels in and around Solano County. The first case of covid 19 with no verifiable source appeared in Solano County just a few days after the break in quarantine.

7. Trump is criticising and overruling experts, and instead of putting the CDC and their virologists and scientists charge, he's putting inexperienced, unqualified political allies in charge.

Enough?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 06:09 AM   #389
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

2. He stated incorrectly that it is less dangerous and has a lower kill rate than the flu.

3. He has overruled the CDC, a department that is expert in dealing with contagions, outbreaks and epidemics, and containing them.

5. He overruled medical experts and ordered passengers from a cruise ship who had tested positive for the virus from a cruise ship to to flown back to the USA IN THE SAME PLANE AS THE OTHER 300 PASSENGERS, a move that put all those "clear" passengers at risks of infection.

6. He flew them all to Travls AFB (Solano Country CA) for quarantine, and then promptly broke the quarantine by sending unprepared, unprotected and inexperienced staff from HHS (NOT the department that is supposed to deal with outbreaks) to visit the passengers. The staff then stayed in hotels in and around Solano County. The first case of covid 19 with no verifiable source appeared in Solano County just a few days after the break in quarantine.

7. Trump is criticising and overruling experts, and instead of putting the CDC and their virologists and scientists charge, he's putting inexperienced, unqualified political allies in charge.

Enough?
That's just nitpicking.
Old 29th February 2020, 07:08 AM   #390
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Not to mention that he is now claiming that the coronavirus a hoax by the Dems.

Does anybody know if he'Is he still in denial about the new cases in the USA?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 09:03 AM   #391
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Well no.

What points do you think you made? You didn’t actually refute anything.

Your “points” didn’t amount to much more than snarky complaints about people being mean to Trump.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 12:00 PM   #392
Susheel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Not....
I agree. I think it is safe enough to say you could use India as a reference...you guys haven't reached this stage yet...but close enough.
Old 29th February 2020, 12:50 PM   #393
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Quote:
He is calling coronavirus a Democrat hoax.
What a president. What a leader.

Ooops, I spelled infant and imbecile wrong.

WS

Last edited by Resume; 29th February 2020 at 01:02 PM. Reason: weird stuff
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 02:48 PM   #394
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Enough?
I'm sure one of his disciples will come along and regale and reassure us with point-by-point refutations to your list of what appears to be serious problems with his handling of the virus outbreak write something about Obama, Biden, or something Democrats did two hundred years ago.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th February 2020, 05:25 PM   #395
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I have to wonder, should I be so inclined, what sort if industry would it make sense to invest in? (perhaps after the current selloff panic stabilizes)

Companies that make masks, sanitizers, body bags
Netflix or other streaming services (many people are going to be self socially distancing)
Funeral services
Old 1st March 2020, 08:59 AM   #396
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't think he's stupid, just in mental decline. Compare 10 or 15 year old interview videos with now. His ability to maintain a clear thought and express himself has declined.

It was always the same thought, and he's been pretty consistent in this respect: Me, me, me! Nowadays it's: 'How can turn the Covid-19 pandemic into an accusation against my enemies? How can I make other people take the blame for having left the country unprepared? How can I make it seem as if it isn't an actual pandemic but just a hoax invented by my enemies to make me look bad?'
His problem is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to make people believe in his perpetual denial of reality. The cognitive dissonance is too overwhelming.
It's possible that age-related dementia also plays a role, but I'm not sure that it's the case.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 09:45 AM   #397
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have to wonder, should I be so inclined, what sort if industry would it make sense to invest in? (perhaps after the current selloff panic stabilizes)

Companies that make masks, sanitizers, body bags
Netflix or other streaming services (many people are going to be self socially distancing)
Funeral services

There's a thread about this theme in Economics, Business and Finance: Black Swan Event Under Way
Old 1st March 2020, 09:45 AM   #398
Meadmaker

It's hard to assess Trump's response, or the government's response in general to the coronavirus because so much of what ought to be happening right now is happening behind the scenes.

There are a lot of things that only the President of the United States can do. He can assemble experts and get them on the phone to get the best possible information. He can spur efforts that no one else could do.

As an illustration, I heard a PBS segment abut mask shortages on Friday. Donald Trump can pick up the phone, and call the CDC or wherever they keep the smart people and say, "Do we really need more masks?" If they say yes, which I think they would, Trump could call the president of 3M and say, "We need more masks. Can you do it? What do you need from us?"

That guy might say he needs a guarantee that overtime coverage will be made up to them, so there's a profit guarantee. He might say that he needs some temporary regulatory loosening. He might say he needs money, right now. Those are the kinds of things that Trump could say, "I'll call Mitch and Nancy and make sure they understand. Once I get the word from them that it will happen, I'll call you back. Stay in your office for the next two hours so I can get it done. Meanwhile, I'll have the Secretary of HHS draft an executive order to tide us over until Congress can act."

Well, he could do all that.

Based on his track record, he won't, but he could. Still, in theory, he could be doing lots of things in the background that would increase preparedness, and we would never know.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 09:52 AM   #399
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
It was always the same thought, and he's been pretty consistent in this respect: Me, me, me! Nowadays it's: 'How can turn the Covid-19 pandemic into an accusation against my enemies? How can I make other people take the blame for having left the country unprepared? How can I make it seem as if it isn't an actual pandemic but just a hoax invented by my enemies to make me look bad?'
His problem is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to make people believe in his perpetual denial of reality. The cognitive dissonance is too overwhelming.
It's possible that age-related dementia also plays a role, but I'm not sure that it's the case.
I don’t see any clear evidence for your second paragraph. I’d like to believe it’s true, but until his supporters start believing it we’re just where we’ve always been. Maybe the virus will do the trick. Retirement accounts are taking a big hit. I’m happy to blame that on Trump, but it can’t be all his fault.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 09:52 AM   #400
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It's hard to assess Trump's response, or the government's response in general to the coronavirus because so much of what ought to be happening right now is happening behind the scenes.

There are a lot of things that only the President of the United States can do. He can assemble experts and get them on the phone to get the best possible information. He can spur efforts that no one else could do.

As an illustration, I heard a PBS segment abut mask shortages on Friday. Donald Trump can pick up the phone, and call the CDC or wherever they keep the smart people and say, "Do we really need more masks?" If they say yes, which I think they would, Trump could call the president of 3M and say, "We need more masks. Can you do it? What do you need from us?"

That guy might say he needs a guarantee that overtime coverage will be made up to them, so there's a profit guarantee. He might say that he needs some temporary regulatory loosening. He might say he needs money, right now. Those are the kinds of things that Trump could say, "I'll call Mitch and Nancy and make sure they understand. Once I get the word from them that it will happen, I'll call you back. Stay in your office for the next two hours so I can get it done. Meanwhile, I'll have the Secretary of HHS draft an executive order to tide us over until Congress can act."

Well, he could do all that.

Based on his track record, he won't, but he could. Still, in theory, he could be doing lots of things in the background that would increase preparedness, and we would never know.
When, EVER, has Trump done something behind the scenes that he could take credit for?

Yes, Trump could do a ******** more, especially if he stopped tweeting and going on Rallies.
From the White House schedule, there is no indication that Trump is personally putting much effort into dealing with the crisis.
And all we know from Pence is that he told CDC spokespersons not to appear on TV.

If Trump wants to calm the Nation and the Markets, he has to be seen to make constructive efforts.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics