IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 01:10 PM   #41
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
He may not quietly accept a close loss but I don't think he would do anything other than legal channels to contest it.
He is working on delegitimizing the supreme court, so if Ginsburg and Sotomyor are in a 5/4 majority against him that would be easy get his supporters to go along with ignoring it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 01:13 PM   #42
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Fair enough.

I think that is far fetched, but not nuts.
As opposed to the senate endorsing the extortion of our allies for political bribes, that was of course always in the cards and never would be thought of as far fetched.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 01:14 PM   #43
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think it's likely that baby will fuss when and if denied the candy, but I think it's unlikely the adults will give baby the candy.
Old 26th February 2020, 01:18 PM   #44
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think it's likely that baby will fuss when and if denied the candy, but I think it's unlikely the adults will give baby the candy.
Yea like Mitch is suddenly going to grow a spine to say "no candy for you!". So who exactly is this supposed adult?
Old 26th February 2020, 01:22 PM   #45
ahhell
Philosopher

Clinton derangement syndrome is about the closest parallel if you ask me, with the death list and what not. There was even a small fringe worried he'd declare martial law and thus stay in office. I admit, that had less cause than Trump derangement but this is still Trump derangement. It would take far too many accomplices to actually have Trump stay in office despite losing.

I do worry that he will once again win by a close margin in the electoral college which will result in lots of folks who thought he might refuse to leave deciding he clearly cheated. I'm not that worried, because for the most part they will only complain about it on the internet and there will probably only be a few incidents of violence by a few emotionally unstable gunmen and car drivers who probably will engage in some act of violence regardless of the rhetoric they have available to latch onto.

If Trump clearly loses and somehow manages to stay in office for more than a day past his legal term, I will no longer post on this forum and leave the country.

If the republicans in the senate support him in an effort to illegal stay in office, I'll give $100 dollars to progressivechristian.

These promises are void if all comes down to some screw up in Florida though.

Last edited by ahhell; 26th February 2020 at 01:26 PM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 01:23 PM   #46
eeyore1954
Philosopher

If you’re going to use that analogy if the baby fusses enough the baby eventually gets the candy.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 01:39 PM   #47
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
If you’re going to use that analogy if the baby fusses enough the baby eventually gets the candy.
I don't see it happening with this baby and that candy. The consequences to the indulgent adults would be too severe for them to give in.
Old 26th February 2020, 01:41 PM   #48
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I'm not thinking of a business opportunity. The virus is probably going to affect the whole tourist and hospitality industry negatively: travel agencies, airlines, cruise lines, theme parks and hotels.
We also know that he has no idea whatsoever what a virus or a pandemic is.
But he has already stated several times that he might try to stay in office if he is not reelected in November.
Declaring a state of emergency could be the way for him to cancel or postpone the primaries as well as the presidential election altogether - at least until a vaccine is ready if it ever is.
Having to cancel his own ego-boosting rallies might be the only thing preventing him from doing so.
This fixation with Trump being the epitome of evil has gone from getting slightly out of hand to just plain stupid.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 01:46 PM   #49
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I hope that's the case. But the adults in the room so far have been either totally absent, or all too ready to furnish that candy way too many times already.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 01:51 PM   #50
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I don't see it happening with this baby and that candy. The consequences to the indulgent adults would be too severe for them to give in.
Who specifically will be denying the baby his candy this time?
Old 26th February 2020, 01:54 PM   #51
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

At the convention

I was looking more for the last time Trump can change his mind. Eagleton was replaced after the convention. Completely unique example though.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 02:10 PM   #52
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The part where Trump goes full retard.

Do you think he could succeed in what would amount to a coup? No, he couldn't.
Has anybody ******* claimed he would succeed or was it implied that he would at least try? Same question asked above. Save the straw to feed your horses.

Do you think he doesn't know he couldn't succeed? Of course he knows.
No, I don't think that because Trump is a narcissistic ******* moron. He believes that doing it would be what America wants. Outside of the traitors that is...

Do you think he doesn't know that he would pay a price for trying and failing? Again, of course he knows.
No, I don't think he does know that and until either you or mead provide some form of evidence to support your assertions then you're just barking nonsense. He's openly stated the opposite of what you guys are saying.

So even with the worst reading of Trump's motives, why would he do something so obviously self-destructive?
Because he's a ******* moron.

Zig correctly stated my response to several related queries.
Equally as irrelevant and useless as when you did it. Trump has implied the opposite of what you guys are saying. Then you make opposing claims with no evidence, and when all of the evidence is to the contrary, yet somehow still have the balls to imply the people opposing your argument are in the wrong. It's spectacular.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 26th February 2020 at 02:24 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 02:22 PM   #53
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What if the CDC actually recommends postponing elections due to risk of contagion?

Thus forcing Trump to cancel his rallies?! WITCH HUNT!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 02:30 PM   #54
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
This fixation with Trump being the epitome of evil has gone from getting slightly out of hand to just plain stupid.

You have not seen the damage his doing in the US.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 02:31 PM   #55
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump used his Coronia VIrus newsconference to beat up on his favorite whipping boy, the Media.
GOd, the man is incapable of putting his politics and his dislikes aside for one minute.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 02:42 PM   #56
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Nobody has.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 02:43 PM   #57
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

So let us assume that Trump narrowly loses the election in November. He declares that he will not leave office for some reason. The president elect manages to get sworn in anyway, then directs the Secret Service to evict Trump from the White House. Bloodless or not?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 02:53 PM   #58
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
There might be one named Donald Trump Jr though. I have no doubt that Dump will try to create a presidential dynasty by grooming Junior to become his successor. Of course, he would have to win the Republican nomination first, but I am sure Dump's base would support Junior 100%.

No, I don't think so. I think that he will learn from Denmark, in this case.
1) Sanders has already based most of his ideas of societal change on Denmark, but most people don't know that
2) Mayor Pete was in Copenhagen in 2016 to study bikelanes and returned to South Bend, Indiana, to implement what he'd learned.
3) It's pretty obvious that Trump is going to appoint Ivanka as his successor before Covid-19 kills him, so:
Quote:
The law, which passed with 85.4% of the popular vote, eliminates male-preference primogeniture in favour of absolute primogeniture, resulting in sons losing precedence over daughters in the line of succession. The law did not affect anyone in the line of succession at the time of the referendum: the Queen's two children are both male, as is the Crown Prince's eldest child, born in 2005. However, had the referendum not been successful, Prince Vincent, who was born in 2011, would have been higher in the line of succession than Princess Isabella, born in 2007.
(Wikipedia)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 02:58 PM   #59
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I was looking more for the last time Trump can change his mind. Eagleton was replaced after the convention. Completely unique example though.
Good question. I'm guessing there are 51 different answers, but somehow each state has some way of ensuring that a candidate is the "official" nominee of the party. I might Google it.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 03:05 PM   #60
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
He is working on delegitimizing the supreme court, so if Ginsburg and Sotomyor are in a 5/4 majority against him that would be easy get his supporters to go along with ignoring it.

He may not have to do anything.
Covid-19 is bound to kill at least one of the Supreme Court judges for him:

Quote:
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
AGE DEATH RATE*
80+ years old: 14.8%
70-79 years old: 8.0%
60-69 years old: 3.6%
50-59 years old: 1.3%
40-49 years old: 0.4%
30-39 years old: 0.2%
20-29 years old: 0.2%
10-19 years old: 0.2%
Age, Sex, Existing Conditions of COVID-19 Cases and Deaths (Worldometers.info)
Old 26th February 2020, 03:20 PM   #61
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

The first time I ever heard about Presidential Derangement Syndrome it was Clinton Derangement Syndrome. However, for the varieties labelled Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Hillary (an honorary title), it was just a mildly sarcastic was of saying, "Oh, get over it. Not everything bad is caused by (insert politician's name here)".

But with Trump Derangement Syndrome, I think it really has reached the level of mental illness for some people.

Is the OP author one of those? Well, that depends. Was the OP meant to be taken seriously? Then yes. The idea that Donald Trump is going to declare himself dictator is simply nuts.

Uhmmmm…..let me revise slightly. The idea that Donald Trump will successfully declare himself dictator is simply nuts. I don't know what goes on in his head. He might just imagine that he could do it, but no. Even with a Coronavirus pandemic going on, there will still be elections, and Donald Trump will still respect the results of those elections.

I shiver to think what he might do during his lame duck period, but come January 20, 2025, there will be a President of the United States, and he won't be named Donald Trump. Hopefully, January 20, 2021, but that's not as easy to foretell.
I have a little fantasy. I'm going to say that it most likely won't happen. If Trump loses the election this year, I fully expect him to rant and rave about voter fraud and whatnot, but when January 20, 2021 rolls around, he'll begrudgingly leave the White House. But my fantasy is, that he refuses to leave, and keeps barking out orders that everybody politely refuses to follow. He shouts louder and louder. Everyone ignores him. He picks up the phone and orders an airstrike against the Capitol. The military officer simply says, "You're not the President anymore, Mr. Trump. I can't do that. " Eventually, the Secret Service, Parks Police or whoever, carry him out the door, kicking and screaming, and unceremoniously dump him in the street. I don't think he's (quite) stupid enough to let it go down this way, but I would relish it if it did.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 03:31 PM   #62
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"I wish Trump would act out in the ways I always imagined he'd act out" is definitely a mood.

When Trump leaves office and the country is still right where Obama left it, some of us will say, "huh, all that heartburn for nothing."

And others of us will say, "yeah, but in my head he's still the WoRsT PrEsiDeNt EvEr! That's all that matters!"
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 03:35 PM   #63
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dann View Post
He may not have to do anything.
Covid-19 is bound to kill at least one of the Supreme Court judges for him:
Forget Covid, what about Covidfefe?
Old 26th February 2020, 03:46 PM   #64
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Which damage in particular?
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 03:47 PM   #65
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
So let us assume that Trump narrowly loses the election in November. He declares that he will not leave office for some reason. The president elect manages to get sworn in anyway, then directs the Secret Service to evict Trump from the White House. Bloodless or not?

Ranb
I have been saying he will be re-elected for the last 2 - 3 years.

I am usually right about these things.

And it will be hilarious to read the board afterwards.
Old 26th February 2020, 04:02 PM   #66
Cabbage
Banned

The part where Trump goes full retard.

Do you think he could succeed in what would amount to a coup? No, he couldn't. Do you think he doesn't know he couldn't succeed? Of course he knows. Do you think he doesn't know that he would pay a price for trying and failing? Again, of course he knows. So even with the worst reading of Trump's motives, why would he do something so obviously self-destructive?

That's funny, none of that seemed to cause him even a passing thought when he asked a foreign govt to investigate a political rival. Do you think he doesn't feel like his Republican enablers can obstruct and obfuscate enough to let him get away with lots of things? That's been the pattern so far, why the hell should he stop now?

Let me also remind you: Suppose for the moment that the rumors are true and that he has been involved in Russian money laundering for decades, and that he knows that once he's out of office and no longer has the protection of the presidency around him, indictments are coming. So even if he does nothing when he loses the election he will have prices to pay for his crimes. You don't think the desperation to keep the protection of the presidency around him might lead him to do unwise things?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:03 PM   #67
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"I wish Trump would act out in the ways I always imagined he'd act out" is definitely a mood.

When Trump leaves office and the country is still right where Obama left it, some of us will say, "huh, all that heartburn for nothing."

And others of us will say, "yeah, but in my head he's still the WoRsT PrEsiDeNt EvEr! That's all that matters!"

This sounds like a betting opportunity: If I understand you correctly, you're saying that if Trump isn't reelected in November, he is going to be all presidential about it, congratulate the new guy, leave voluntarily and not write a single tweet about how the election was rigged against him.
Old 26th February 2020, 04:05 PM   #68
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Forget Covid, what about Covidfefe?

Oh man, he's genuinely prescient, and we never gave him the respect he deserves!
Old 26th February 2020, 04:07 PM   #69
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I have a little fantasy. I'm going to say that it most likely won't happen. If Trump loses the election this year, I fully expect him to rant and rave about voter fraud and whatnot, but when January 20, 2021 rolls around, he'll begrudgingly leave the White House. But my fantasy is, that he refuses to leave, and keeps barking out orders that everybody politely refuses to follow. He shouts louder and louder. Everyone ignores him. He picks up the phone and orders an airstrike against the Capitol. The military officer simply says, "You're not the President anymore, Mr. Trump. I can't do that. " Eventually, the Secret Service, Parks Police or whoever, carry him out the door, kicking and screaming, and unceremoniously dump him in the street. I don't think he's (quite) stupid enough to let it go down this way, but I would relish it if it did.
I've said this before, but I think it's likely that in the event Trump loses, he'll kick and scream as you said, rant and rave, and then... resign. If he technically remains in office, I do not see him welcoming a successor for the tour or attending the inauguration. In other words, he's not going to be there until the bitter end. He's too embittered before all of that.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:08 PM   #70
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Has anybody ******* claimed he would succeed or was it implied that he would at least try? Same question asked above. Save the straw to feed your horses.
Several posters have implied he might, but that's actually beside the point. My statement that he could not is simply a point that I think most of us can agree on, and a prelude to what comes next.

Quote:
No, I don't think that because Trump is a narcissistic ******* moron.
I don't dispute that he's narcissistic, I've called him that myself. But the idea that he's a moron, well, you may find comfort in believing it, but it's really not true.

Quote:
He believes that doing it would be what America wants. Outside of the traitors that is...
It never ceases to amuse me how proficient certain posters believe they have become at mind reading.

Quote:
No, I don't think he does know that and until either you or mead provide some form of evidence to support your assertions then you're just barking nonsense.
Evidence that he's not a total ******* moron? That's abundant. He keeps winning. You want me to believe that it's all some cosmic accident. And I'm the one who is barking nonsense?

Quote:
He's openly stated the opposite of what you guys are saying.
He says lots of things which aren't true. Or did you forget already?

Quote:
Again, you may find comfort in that fiction, but it is just a fiction.

The kicker, though, is that if you actually believed this about how stupid Trump is and how willing to try a coup, you should be looking forward to its inevitable failure and the subsequent dismantling of his legacy, not fearing it. But I suspect you don't really believe it, this is all playing out like it's disaster porn for you.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:16 PM   #71
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
That's funny, none of that seemed to cause him even a passing thought when he asked a foreign govt to investigate a political rival.
That's not even remotely comparable.

Quote:
Do you think he doesn't feel like his Republican enablers can obstruct and obfuscate enough to let him get away with lots of things? That's been the pattern so far, why the hell should he stop now?
plague311 was just accusing me of straw manning Trump criticism, but you're basically taking the position he said nobody was taking.

Quote:
Let me also remind you: Suppose for the moment that the rumors are true and that he has been involved in Russian money laundering for decades, and that he knows that once he's out of office and no longer has the protection of the presidency around him, indictments are coming. So even if he does nothing when he loses the election he will have prices to pay for his crimes. You don't think the desperation to keep the protection of the presidency around him might lead him to do unwise things?
That's a very big supposition. I doubt it's true. But OK, for the sake of argument let's suppose it is true. Yes, he very well might do unwise things. Nixon did unwise things during Watergate. But he didn't declare martial law to protect himself. And Trump isn't going to try to stage a coup. Doing so would fail, and simply make everything that comes after so much worse. And again, he's not a total ******* moron. He will know this.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:18 PM   #72
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I have been saying he will be re-elected for the last 2 - 3 years.

I am usually right about these things.

And it will be hilarious to read the board afterwards.
There will be a great weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Old 26th February 2020, 04:29 PM   #73
Cabbage
Banned

That's not even remotely comparable.

I never claimed they were comparable. I specifically brought it up to point out you are assuming Trump can be contemplative regarding future effects of his actions. I am simply reminding you that that conflicts with actual evidence.

Quote:
plague311 was just accusing me of straw manning Trump criticism, but you're basically taking the position he said nobody was taking.

No, I am not. Read it again, for comprehension this time: I am saying that Trump has reasons to believe (the impeachment, for example) that the Republican congress will enable him. Please note, with particular care, how I am making a claim about Trump's belief regarding what he can get away with; in no way do I claim this is correlated with what he can actually get away with.

Quote:
That's a very big supposition. I doubt it's true. But OK, for the sake of argument let's suppose it is true. Yes, he very well might do unwise things. Nixon did unwise things during Watergate. But he didn't declare martial law to protect himself. And Trump isn't going to try to stage a coup. Doing so would fail, and simply make everything that comes after so much worse. And again, he's not a total ******* moron. He will know this.

I'm skeptical of any argument predicated on the assumption that Trump isn't a total ******* moron.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:40 PM   #74
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
You mean like Clinton did in her book.

Some of the people she blamed

Quote:
"James Comey
"If not for the dramatic intervention of the FBI director in the final days we would have won the White House."

Vladimir Putin
"I never imagined that he would have the audacity to launch a massive covert attack against our own democracy, right under our noses - and that he'd get away with it."

Barack Obama
"I do wonder sometimes about what would have happened if President Obama had made a televised address to the nation in the fall of 2016 warning that our democracy was under attack. Maybe more Americans would have woken up to the threat in time. "

Bernie Sanders (and his supporters)
"His attacks caused lasting damage, making it harder to unify progressives in the general election and paving the way for Trump's 'Crooked Hillary' campaign."

Jill Stein
"There were more than enough Stein voters to swing the result, just like Ralph Nader did in Florida and New Hampshire in 2000."

Men in general
"This has to be said. Sexism and misogyny played a role in the 2016 presidential election. Exhibit A is that the flagrantly sexist candidate won."

Last edited by cullennz; 26th February 2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 26th February 2020, 04:40 PM   #75
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post

Ranb
I bet bloodless yes.

He will go out with a proud and boastful speech saying how much he thinks he did for the country and best admin ever and step down peacefully.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:42 PM   #76
Venom
Philosopher

You mean like Clinton did in her book.

Some of the people she blamed
Clinton is a bit of a sore loser, but Clinton isn't president.

Trump is even worse; he's a sore WINNER who can't stop taking shots at people rightfully criticizing him.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:43 PM   #77
Random
Illuminator

Watching the Trump Press conference. Wow, he doesn't have a clue does he? OK, give it to Pence. Actually makes me feel better...
Old 26th February 2020, 04:53 PM   #78
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I never claimed they were comparable. I specifically brought it up to point out you are assuming Trump can be contemplative regarding future effects of his actions. I am simply reminding you that that conflicts with actual evidence.
But it doesn’t. He came out of that just fine.

Quote:
No, I am not. Read it again, for comprehension this time: I am saying that Trump has reasons to believe (the impeachment, for example) that the Republican congress will enable him.
You aren’t even being coherent. First you claimed he didn’t contemplate the future, now you are saying he will.

And my earlier point that you dismissed comes back here: they aren’t remotely comparable. That Republicans didn’t care that much about investigating Biden doesn’t mean they would tolerate a coup. They won’t. And everyone, including Trump, knows that.

Quote:
I'm skeptical of any argument predicated on the assumption that Trump isn't a total ******* moron.
Of course. Because orange man dumb. But no skepticism is warranted for the assertion that he’s dumb, that’s axiomatic.
Old 26th February 2020, 04:58 PM   #79
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
No disagreement on that point, however one thing he does know is that once out of office he is not immune to indictments.
I have been sending my suck-up senators (voted for acquittal) lists of counties that do not have extradition treaties with the US, and asking that they pass these along. So far, no response.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 05:02 PM   #80
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I've said this before, but I think it's likely that in the event Trump loses, he'll kick and scream as you said, rant and rave, and then... resign. If he technically remains in office, I do not see him welcoming a successor for the tour or attending the inauguration. In other words, he's not going to be there until the bitter end. He's too embittered before all of that.
Plus he needs time to pack up and move to his new country.
Possibly Russia but I understand Saudi Arabia has better golf courses.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics