IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 05:10 PM   #81
Venom
Philosopher

I do have a tough time picturing how Trump will proceed with the traditional White House tour and deep, stimulating walk in the garden with his successor before handing him the keys.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 05:21 PM   #82
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
And my earlier point that you dismissed comes back here: they aren’t remotely comparable. That Republicans didn’t care that much about investigating Biden doesn’t mean they would tolerate a coup. They won’t. And everyone, including Trump, knows that.
Why wouldn't they tolerate it? They have tolerated child concentration camps, foreign emoluments, the politicization of the civil service, Trump deliberately ignoring Russian interference in our elections, Trump trying to force other countries to manufacture political scandals against his enemies, etc. Republican apologists keep saying that there are lines the GOP will not let him cross, and Trump keeps crossing them. Personally, I am not holding my breath for the great Republican rebellion against Trump...
Old 26th February 2020, 05:27 PM   #83
Cabbage
Banned

But it doesn’t. He came out of that just fine.

He came out just fine, sure, but it's still an example of his recklessness and absence of contemplative reflection.

Quote:
You aren’t even being coherent. First you claimed he didn’t contemplate the future, now you are saying he will.

I'm saying he's learned that the Republicans will allow him to get away with stuff. No, I don't think he's a reflective, contemplative person. Yes, he is aware of people that suck up to him that he can take advantage of. Are you being deliberately obtuse? It wouldn't be the first time.

Quote:
And my earlier point that you dismissed comes back here: they aren’t remotely comparable. That Republicans didn’t care that much about investigating Biden doesn’t mean they would tolerate a coup. They won’t. And everyone, including Trump, knows that.

I wasn't comparing them, as I just explained to you. And I think you give Trump too much credit when you say he knows.

Quote:
Of course. Because orange man dumb. But no skepticism is warranted for the assertion that he’s dumb, that’s axiomatic.

Axiomatic? Hardly. Many of his cabinet have literally called him a ******* moron. We actually have good evidence he is a moron. We also have good evidence that many people are willfully blind to this evidence.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 05:36 PM   #84
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Watching the Trump Press conference. Wow, he doesn't have a clue does he? OK, give it to Pence. Actually makes me feel better...

Well, if you hadn't heard Trump at the press conference, you wouldn't know how incredibly hard president Xi is working!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 05:42 PM   #85
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
As opposed to the senate endorsing the extortion of our allies for political bribes, that was of course always in the cards and never would be thought of as far fetched.
As opposed to a major candidate being caught RED HANDED conspiring with a foreign power to steal an election and him still being allowed to take the office he stole...
Old 26th February 2020, 05:45 PM   #86
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

The part where Trump goes full retard.

Do you think he could succeed in what would amount to a coup?
He already has.
Old 26th February 2020, 05:46 PM   #87
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Why wouldn't they tolerate it? They have tolerated child concentration camps, foreign emoluments, the politicization of the civil service, Trump deliberately ignoring Russian interference in our elections, Trump trying to force other countries to manufacture political scandals against his enemies, etc. Republican apologists keep saying that there are lines the GOP will not let him cross, and Trump keeps crossing them. Personally, I am not holding my breath for the great Republican rebellion against Trump...
This.
Old 26th February 2020, 06:10 PM   #88
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
So let us assume that Trump narrowly loses the election in November. He declares that he will not leave office for some reason. The president elect manages to get sworn in anyway, then directs the Secret Service to evict Trump from the White House. Bloodless or not?

Ranb
Not.

Trump has already incited the Royalist militias to violence more than once. They're still itching for it. All he has to do is Tweet that they're throwing him out in a 'coup' and they will start again. Or Fox will claim ANTIFA killed someone or there are 'buses of illegal voters' or some other claim. True or not, you'll see lots of progressives, politicians, media, and brown people attacked. Again. And, true or not, some of the 'thinking' conservatives on this board will blame progressives for pushing too hard or not denouncing whoever enough, or the 'punch a Nazi' thing or whatever other flaccid rationalization their media settles on for them.

Trump's deplorables already have a non-negligible body count. It isn't in any way unreasonable to think it could happen again.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 06:21 PM   #89
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
....And it will be hilarious to read the board afterwards.
If Trump is re-elected, you can count on me to say Foooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk!!
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 06:34 PM   #90
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump on the corona virus:

"We're very, very ready for this..."

Uh oh. Now I know they've got nothing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 07:42 PM   #91
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump on the corona virus:

Uh oh. Now I know they've got nothing.
They got Pence...but that is a distinction without a difference....

He is the guy who allowed a HIV crisis to develop in Indiana because he was against Needle Exchange.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 08:28 PM   #92
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I bet bloodless yes.

He will go out with a proud and boastful speech saying how much he thinks he did for the country and best admin ever and step down peacefully.
I think he'll throw a tantrum and crap himself, and have to be sedated by injection. So bloodless, but terribly embarrassing for everyone. I just hope, for the sake of our noble nation and its glorious traditions and holy purpose, that someone catches it all on video and posts it on YouTube. I think the Founding Fathers would have wanted that very much.
Old 26th February 2020, 09:12 PM   #93
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I have a little fantasy. I'm going to say that it most likely won't happen. If Trump loses the election this year, I fully expect him to rant and rave about voter fraud and whatnot, but when January 20, 2021 rolls around, he'll begrudgingly leave the White House. But my fantasy is, that he refuses to leave, and keeps barking out orders that everybody politely refuses to follow. He shouts louder and louder. Everyone ignores him. He picks up the phone and orders an airstrike against the Capitol. The military officer simply says, "You're not the President anymore, Mr. Trump. I can't do that. " Eventually, the Secret Service, Parks Police or whoever, carry him out the door, kicking and screaming, and unceremoniously dump him in the street. I don't think he's (quite) stupid enough to let it go down this way, but I would relish it if it did.
I knew he wasn't going to be convicted, but if he ever did anything to make the Republicans in the Senate turn against him, I would be truly frightened about what he would do during the roll call vote, in the last minutes of his presidency.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 09:16 PM   #94
Meadmaker

[quote=Stacyhs;13002839]Trump on the corona virus:

Uh oh. Now I know they've got nothing.[/QUOT

It truly frightened me that the man responsible for a pandemic response plan is the same man responsible for the Hurricane Maria recovery.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 09:25 PM   #95
Meadmaker

Re:. Clinton derangement syndrome. I had forgotten just how kooky it got for a while, but that was mostly lunatic fringe.

My wife is a psychologist, and she said some of her anxiety disorder clients did very, very, badly after the election. She had never seen that happen before.

As for several of the responses, they are of the form, "He said some really crazy stuff, therefore he might try to illegally take over the government.". It's a variation on the slippery slope fallacy. Does anyone know if it has a more specific name?
Old 26th February 2020, 09:58 PM   #96
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
As for several of the responses, they are of the form, "He said some really crazy stuff, therefore he might try to illegally take over the government.". It's a variation on the slippery slope fallacy. Does anyone know if it has a more specific name?

Do you have an example of that? I thought the responses were more along the lines of, "He said he would contest the election, therefore he might try to contest the election". Not really a slippery slope or any sort of fallacy at all.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 11:32 PM   #97
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Who says he needs Covid-19?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 11:44 PM   #98
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dann View Post
He may not have to do anything.
Covid-19 is bound to kill at least one of the Supreme Court judges for him:
It is also going to decimate the FOX News audience.
Old 27th February 2020, 12:00 AM   #99
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

As things now stand, it seems more likely that the outbreak will cost Trump the Presidency.

Americans might be happy to see Chaos in Washington ... but not when they need their government to protect them.
Old 27th February 2020, 12:14 AM   #100
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I do have a tough time picturing how Trump will proceed with the traditional White House tour and deep, stimulating walk in the garden with his successor before handing him the keys.
If I were his successor, I would invite Obama to the White House to give me that tour and walk.

I would also solicit the involvement of volunteers from among former staffers of the Obama administration to guide my new administration's transition. By all accounts the White House has been run incompetently on multiple levels, and a new administration's priority has to be returning the machinery of the executive to its normal functionality, which will require the expertise of those who were actually present last time it functioned normally.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:26 AM   #101
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

OK, give it to Pence. Actually makes me feel better...
Surely Pence will save us all from coronavirus through the power of prayer and parental rights to not vaccinate their children.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:27 AM   #102
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
If I were his successor, I would invite Obama to the White House to give me that tour and walk.
I'd probably pick Abe Lincoln. How cool would that be?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:29 AM   #103
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You mean like Clinton did in her book.

Some of the people she blamed

Quote:
(...)
Men in general
"This has to be said. Sexism and misogyny played a role in the 2016 presidential election. Exhibit A is that the flagrantly sexist candidate won."

Men in general?! No, not at all. Trump voters in general - men as well as women. And the reason is obvious: Donald's misogyny problem: How Trump has repeatedly targeted women - Female politicians, journalists and actors have faced his verbal abuse, but the sexual allegations cause the greatest disquiet (The Guardian, Oct. 8, 2016)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:40 AM   #104
dann
Penultimate Amazing

If I were his successor, ...

I'd vote for you if I could!
Old 27th February 2020, 12:43 AM   #105
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Surely Pence will save us all from coronavirus through the power of prayer and parental rights to not vaccinate their children.
Nah, he's more likely to see as the End of Days!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:44 AM   #106
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The transfer of power from President Donald Trump to President Ivanka Trump will happen smoothly in 2025.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 03:11 AM   #107
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert:
Trump Fears The Coronavirus Crisis Will Spoil His Reelection Campaign

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 27th February 2020, 03:53 AM   #108
Lurch
Master Poster

It would almost be delicious to find that the evangelicals considered this virus to be God's will in removing Trump were a pandemic to erupt and Trump lose this fall. Being more realistic, knowing that lot they'd be more likely to invoke the Devil's handiwork on behalf of the Godless socialists.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 03:56 AM   #109
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The transfer of power from President Donald Trump to President Ivanka Trump will happen smoothly in 2025.
Nah Don Jr, Ivanka will be way too old for Trump to still notice he has a daughter by 2025.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 03:58 AM   #110
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
It would almost be delicious to find that the evangelicals considered this virus to be God's will in removing Trump were a pandemic to erupt and Trump lose this fall. Being more realistic, knowing that lot they'd be more likely to invoke the Devil's handiwork on behalf of the Godless socialists.
Given the age group that seems to be most vulnerable it could well be that he is removed by the virus.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 05:35 AM   #111
Belz...
Fiend God

It never ceases to amuse me how proficient certain posters believe they have become at mind reading.
Yes, the sort of mind reading known as listening to what the man actually says and surmising his state of mind from it. Wow, what powers!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 06:06 AM   #112
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Imagine what Trump could accomplish in this situation if he had the same gift!
Well, we all know why he left the job to his soulmate, the nincompoop veep:
Trump nods at reputation as germaphobe during coronavirus briefing: 'I try to bail out as much as possible' after sneezes (The Hill, Feb. 26, 2020)

Last edited by dann; 27th February 2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 27th February 2020, 07:18 AM   #113
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Given the age group that seems to be most vulnerable it could well be that he is removed by the virus.
Unfortunately, Top Two Biden and Bernie are in the same age group. And they're out and closer to the public.
Old 27th February 2020, 07:26 AM   #114
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

The part where Trump goes full retard.
Where do you place Trump now on the "retard" spectrum?

Quote:
Do you think he could succeed in what would amount to a coup? No, he couldn't. Do you think he doesn't know he couldn't succeed? Of course he knows. Do you think he doesn't know that he would pay a price for trying and failing? Again, of course he knows. So even with the worst reading of Trump's motives, why would he do something so obviously self-destructive?
It's weird that you keep trying to map normal human behavior onto Trump.

What exactly is it you see in him that communicates to you that he A) has the ability to recognize his own potentially self-destructive behavior and B) even if he were capable of recognizing this course of action as self-destructive, that he wouldn't proceed with it anyway driven by his own hubris and narcissism?

Please keep your answers specific to Trump's behavior, and not that of a normal person.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 07:28 AM   #115
johnny karate

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Here you go:
The "it" in question is Trump trying to remain in office past the legal term limit, not whatever random post you can find with which you disagree.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 07:30 AM   #116
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Zig correctly stated my response to several related queries.
Okay then, I guess I'll just copy and paste my response to him:

It's weird that you keep trying to map normal human behavior onto Trump.

What exactly is it you see in him that communicates to you that he A) has the ability to recognize his own potentially self-destructive behavior and B) even if he were capable of recognizing this course of action as self-destructive, that he wouldn't proceed with it anyway driven by his own hubris and narcissism?

Please keep your answers specific to Trump's behavior, and not that of a normal person.

Should I await your response or just assume Ziggurat speaks on your behalf?
Old 27th February 2020, 07:37 AM   #117
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Some of this looks like it belongs more in the "Trump's mental illness" thread.
Old 27th February 2020, 07:37 AM   #118
plague311
Great minds think...

The kicker, though, is that if you actually believed this about how stupid Trump is and how willing to try a coup, you should be looking forward to its inevitable failure and the subsequent dismantling of his legacy, not fearing it. But I suspect you don't really believe it, this is all playing out like it's disaster porn for you.
I'm not afraid of it at all. I've never expressed fear once in this thread.

Mead and you have gone out of your way to say "don't believe what you hear, believe me when I interpret what he actually means", and I'm guessing you don't think people notice? Whether Trump lies or not doesn't mean his words don't have an impact. They sway the stock market, and the economy in general. People believe the **** he says, and his most ardent followers would have no issue were he to try it. In the cases he's mentioned it, I believe once was at a rally, it was to thunderous applause. Which isn't shocking, it's a rally.

Of course it will fail. I honestly haven't seen people denying that but I've seen a great many say that it wouldn't be out of Trump's norm to see him try. Only you and and Mead seem to repetitiously claim that he wouldn't act in that fashion (well, maybe theprestige is mixed in there somewhere too), which would be in contrast to his entire presidency. The burden of evidence is on you guys, and so far Mead has called people mentally ill while making up ******** excuses as to why he's right, and your argument boils down to nothing more than, "nuh uh, he would not".
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 07:44 AM   #119
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's not a derangement to say that Trump has issued illegal orders to get his way - the Mueller Report has documented that he has.
The fact that Trump hasn't managed to hire enough (and competent enough) henchman to carry out his autocratic orders doesn't make him less of an autocrat.

It's not Trump holding Trump back from becoming a Dictator.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 27th February 2020 at 07:45 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 07:46 AM   #120
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's not a derangement to say that Trump has issued illegal orders to get his way - the Mueller Report has documented that he has.
The fact that Trump hasn't managed to hire enough (and competent enough) henchman to carry out his autocratic orders doesn't make him less of an autocrat.

It's not Trump holding Trump back from becoming a Dictator.
He's only accomplished the first syllable so far.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics