IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 27th February 2020, 10:30 AM   #161
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Does he though? Really? Are we sure?
Evidently we aren't. But I am.

Quote:
And what would that price be?
Hard time in prison, for one.

Quote:
As has been stated before, he's a narcissistic moron.
Except for the moron part.

Quote:
And no, saying "he keeps winning" without actually demonstrating his intentional success
Yes, yes, all his success is just accidental. Will you keep telling yourself that after he wins in November?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 10:34 AM   #162
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I don't think we really have any idea what Trump might do -- that was the takeaway I got from the UK Independent article -- and I don't think we'll know until we get there what might happen. And make no mistake. The same people who are dismissing the notion, including in this forum, will be the same people passionately defending Trump if he refuses to concede.
What do you mean by "refuses to concede"? Do you mean he might claim he really won? Yeah, that's possible. Do you mean he might contest election results in court? Definitely on the table, especially if a contest is close and there are any irregularities.

Do you mean he might try to actually prevent the transfer of power at the end of his term? No, I don't think that's going to happen.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 10:35 AM   #163
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Trump blames Dems for the stock market crash instead of the virus:

Nevermind that the debates hadn't happened yet. As for Trump, he's saying it's not that bad and the only reason it's being made out to be a big deal is to hurt him in the election:

I submit this as more evidence that Trump is a mother ******* moron.
When you think about it, if he followed his own reasoning what he was saying is that the markets don't expect Trump to win the election....
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 10:41 AM   #164
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
What do you mean by "refuses to concede"? Do you mean he might claim he really won? Yeah, that's possible. Do you mean he might contest election results in court? Definitely on the table, especially if a contest is close and there are any irregularities.

Do you mean he might try to actually prevent the transfer of power at the end of his term? No, I don't think that's going to happen.
but when would, according to your described scenario, his term end?
next January or when all court cases are settled?
Old 27th February 2020, 10:46 AM   #165
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
but when would, according to your described scenario, his term end?
next January or when all court cases are settled?
Next January if he loses this election. January 2025 if he wins.

Any court cases which might affect the outcome will be settled prior to inauguration, as was Gore v. Bush.
Old 27th February 2020, 10:47 AM   #166
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Nevermind that the debates hadn't happened yet. As for Trump, he's saying it's not that bad and the only reason it's being made out to be a big deal is to hurt him in the election:

There'd already been one round of debates. I don't see Trump blaming the stock market on that particular debate. I see him drawing a correlation between the way the Democratic primaries are playing out (including the debates, plural), and the way investor confidence is playing out.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 10:48 AM   #167
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

What do I mean?
...This is the scenario Washington Monthly thinks is the most dangerous (and likeliest if it happens):
Quote:
Donald Trump, who spent the past five months warning about fraud, has been eerily silent for most of the night. But as soon as the Democrat takes the stage to give her victory speech, he unleashes a barrage of tweets claiming that over 100,000 illegal immigrants voted in Michigan and that Philadelphia kept its polls open for hours later than allowed. “Without PHONY voters, I really won!” he tweets. “This is FRAUD!” Needless to say, the president does not call to congratulate his opponent. At an afternoon press conference, Trump’s press secretary announces he will not concede.
What would the next move be? Court action? A move in the Republican-controlled Senate to freeze the election process? With Mitch McConnell blathering, "Until we know with certainty what happened, I believe we owe it to the American people to halt this process."

Sounds fairly possible to me. Of course, there will be a lot of opposition and pushback but who knows.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 10:58 AM   #168
DetectedMotion
Thinker

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The first time I ever heard about Presidential Derangement Syndrome it was Clinton Derangement Syndrome. However, for the varieties labelled Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Hillary (an honorary title), it was just a mildly sarcastic was of saying, "Oh, get over it. Not everything bad is caused by (insert politician's name here)".

But with Trump Derangement Syndrome, I think it really has reached the level of mental illness for some people.

Is the OP author one of those? Well, that depends. Was the OP meant to be taken seriously? Then yes. The idea that Donald Trump is going to declare himself dictator is simply nuts.

Well we can at least blame him for leaving the U.S. unprepared to deal with the virus!
https://youtu.be/fGNFhfd3Xbo

Here's what Trump is really concerned about;
https://youtu.be/hJujThoYxco
ETA; The other link

Last edited by DetectedMotion; 27th February 2020 at 11:20 AM.
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 11:20 AM   #169
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What do I mean?

What would the next move be? Court action? A move in the Republican-controlled Senate to freeze the election process? With Mitch McConnell blathering, "Until we know with certainty what happened, I believe we owe it to the American people to halt this process."

Sounds fairly possible to me. Of course, there will be a lot of opposition and pushback but who knows.
The same action a few farmers at Lexinton and Concord took in 1775 might be necessary.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 11:22 AM   #170
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Assuming the markets like Trump better than the democratic contenders than the market would have gone up after the last couple debates (if it weren't for the virus) because 4 more years of President Trump looked more likely after them.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 11:22 AM   #171
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Next January if he loses this election. January 2025 if he wins.

Any court cases which might affect the outcome will be settled prior to inauguration, as was Gore v. Bush.
so after the court case is settled.

Gore v Bush came down to pretty much one district in one State.
What if 2020 or 2024 comes down with dozens of such cases?
Old 27th February 2020, 11:23 AM   #172
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The same action a few farmers at Lexinton and Concord took in 1775 might be necessary.
Seriously how will attacking the US military help?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 11:24 AM   #173
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

My impression is that concession is just a tradition. I don't think there's any law that says the loser must concede. I don't even think he has to sign off on anything on Inauguration Day.

However (as mentioned before), could he sign himself in as Emergency Power due to the virus crisis? But we'll know by that time if the main crisis is over, or it will already have had massive impact. Think of what's happened just in the last week. Several months passing makes it totally unpredictable.
Old 27th February 2020, 11:24 AM   #174
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

From Trump's Covid 19 address:
Quote:
"I had a man come up to me a week ago. I hadn't seen him in a long time, and I said, 'How are you doing?’ He said, 'Fine. Fine,'" Trump said, recounting the story. "He hugs me. I say, 'Are you well?' He says, 'No.' He says, 'I have the worst fever and the worst flu,' and he’s hugging me, kissing me. So I say excuse me and go wash my hands. You want to treat this as you would the flu."
Does anyone believe this really happened? I don't. This is just one of Trump's lies that he spontaneously spouts when he thinks it will support his position at the moment.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 11:28 AM   #175
Donal
Philosopher

Evidently we aren't. But I am.
You aren't really providing a lot of reason to be confident in your position

Quote:
Hard time in prison, for one.
Based on what? What law? Who is going to enforce it?

Quote:
Except for the moron part.
Have you heard him speak?

Quote:
Yes, yes, all his success is just accidental. Will you keep telling yourself that after he wins in November?
You seem to have a weird definition of "success". He accidentally won a job he never wanted, absolutely hates, and can't do. He was born into a 9 figure fortune and went bankrupt, repeatedly. Just because he convinces other idiots he's some genius businessman, doesn't make it so.

Any "success" he has isn't due to being smart, its due to being lucky and shameless. Its like a toddler with coddling parents. Just because they give him candy so he'll stop crying doesn't mean he is "winning".
Old 27th February 2020, 11:29 AM   #176
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
You aren't really providing a lot of reason to be confident in your position

Based on what? What law? Who is going to enforce it?

Have you heard him speak?

You seem to have a weird definition of "success". He accidentally won a job he never wanted, absolutely hates, and can't do. He was born into a 9 figure fortune and went bankrupt, repeatedly. Just because he convinces other idiots he's some genius businessman, doesn't make it so.

Any "success" he has isn't due to being smart, its due to being lucky and shameless. Its like a toddler with coddling parents. Just because they give him candy so he'll stop crying doesn't mean he is "winning".
Unless you define victory as just having the candy. Because no matter how he got it, he's got it.
Old 27th February 2020, 11:30 AM   #177
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
How is it "special pleading" to attempt to predict a person's behavior based on their past behavior?

Cool. But could we just stick to the arguments actually being made here?
They aren't really arguments though are they.

It is all "think of the worst possible scenario. Apply it with Trump will probably do this"

It is beginning to become a bit ridiculous and needy, and not on his part.

I have visions of people on here sitting on their couch wishing it will happen, just to justify their silly paranoia
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 11:38 AM   #178
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
They aren't really arguments though are they.

It is all "think of the worst possible scenario. Apply it with Trump will probably do this"

I have visions of people on here sitting on their couch wishing it will happen, just to justify their silly paranoia
How is it "silly paranoia" to be concerned that a president who operates as if he's above the law and expresses contempt for the institutions designed to keep his power in check will continue with this behavior?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 11:41 AM   #179
Armitage72
Philosopher

It reminds me of the people I saw claim that the economic crisis in 2008 was caused by panic in anticipation of Barack Obama possibly becoming President.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 11:59 AM   #180
Leftus
Master Poster

How is it "silly paranoia" to be concerned that a president who operates as if he's above the law and expresses contempt for the institutions designed to keep his power in check will continue with this behavior?
So, if someone else wins, who does Roberts swear in?
Who will the Senate and House send their bills to get signed into law?
To whom do you think the generals of the joint chief of staff will report?

How many of the institutions, the various bureaucratic systems will just accept a proclamation rather than follow the laws?

Yes, it's both silly and paranoia.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:02 PM   #181
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I'm convinced that most of the people dismissing the possibility that Trump could refuse to accept the 2020 election results if he loses will immediately segue to defending him if and when he does!

Sad!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:04 PM   #182
applecorped
Banned

Guessing is sad
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:10 PM   #183
Leftus
Master Poster

I'm convinced that most of the people dismissing the possibility that Trump could refuse to accept the 2020 election results if he loses will immediately segue to defending him if and when he does!

Sad!
Even if Trump refuses to accept the results, how does that impact, say, who Roberts swears in? Or to whom the house and senate sends their bills for signature?

Trump could set up a desk on the driveway at 1600. It's an irrational concern that he might see himself as president when the government does not. The machinery will move forward with or without his objections.

His objections to the results will not matter one iota.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:14 PM   #184
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post

How many of the institutions, the various bureaucratic systems will just accept a proclamation rather than follow the laws?

For, I don't know, like the 14th time: The claim isn't that he will necessarily be successful.

So can we please torch this straw man, bury its ashes, and move on?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:17 PM   #185
Leftus
Master Poster

For, I don't know, like the 14th time: The claim isn't that he will necessarily be successful.

If he is not successful, why the concern? What if he does something that doesn't matter? Not sure why we should care. What if, after the election he goes and gets a hair cut and a beer? Gnashing of teeth; rending of garments?
Old 27th February 2020, 12:21 PM   #186
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
so after the court case is settled.

Gore v Bush came down to pretty much one district in one State.
What if 2020 or 2024 comes down with dozens of such cases?
I would hate to see the contemporary version of the Brooks Brothers Riot.
Old 27th February 2020, 12:25 PM   #187
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

To whoever they decide too. Why are you so convinced they will not go along with him?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:27 PM   #188
Donal
Philosopher

If he is not successful, why the concern?
He panders to violent, smooth brained, racist cretins with a lot of guns who like to mail pipe bombs. And the Republicans have been stacking government offices for decades with loyalists that are there to enforce the party agenda.

Quote:
What if he does something that doesn't matter? Not sure why we should care. What if, after the election he goes and gets a hair cut and a beer? Gnashing of teeth; rending of garments?
We'll be too distracted by the flying pigs to notice.
Old 27th February 2020, 12:30 PM   #189
plague311
Great minds think...

Jesus ******* Christ, right? I mean, how many times does it need to be laid out in clear words that we aren't concerned he'll succeed, the debate is if he'll try?

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
There'd already been one round of debates. I don't see Trump blaming the stock market on that particular debate. I see him drawing a correlation between the way the Democratic primaries are playing out (including the debates, plural), and the way investor confidence is playing out.
Quote:
"I think it took a hit maybe for two reasons. I think [investors] look at the people that you watched debating last night and they say 'if there's even a possibility'" a Democrat is elected the economy will decline, Trump said. "I think the financial markets are very upset when they look at the Democrat candidates standing on that stage making fools out of themselves."
He specifically says "the debating last night". I'm sure you have something locked and loaded as an excuse as to how he's still referring to some other debate. "It doesn't really refute my point. They're the same people that had debated before, etc." Even though it didn't drop after the first two debates, really ******* odd, that. Yet, it decided to drop the two days before the debate, and then not as much on Wednesday? This is rational to you? Did you even bother looking?

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

Yeah, you say this **** all of the time, or something like it. I think it's actually our fantasy. The bulk of your posts is you talking about how everyone over reacts, everyone blows it out of proportion, Trump will win because of the Dems over reacting all of the time. It actually sounds like you, like maybe YOU, seem to be obsessed with what Dems are doing.

This whole thread, including your comment, and not one person has actually given a factual reason why Trump wouldn't try what we've claimed. Only claims that it won't succeed (something no one has really said). Thanks for your irrelevant, thinly veiled insult though. Lame as it might be.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 27th February 2020 at 12:32 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:31 PM   #190
plague311
Great minds think...

If he is not successful, why the concern? What if he does something that doesn't matter? Not sure why we should care. What if, after the election he goes and gets a hair cut and a beer? Gnashing of teeth; rending of garments?
By your rationale, why the **** are you participating in this conversation then? Why do you care? Just to tell everyone else they shouldn't care? Is a discussion forum not the correct place to discuss things that may, or may not take place?
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:33 PM   #191
Cabbage
Banned

Actually, every bit of that is absolutely irrelevant to my concerns: That Trump refuses to concede and rallies his base to anger at the unjustness of him losing the election. Even if the new President is sworn in and Trump sulks away, I'm still concerned with pockets of terrorist attacks perpetrated by Trumptrash here and there.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:34 PM   #192
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
To whoever they decide too. Why are you so convinced they will not go along with him?
For the lawmakers, they would know that anything signed by the person not duly elected wouldn't be valid.

Everyone else would likely follow the rule of law.

Most of the people who operate the machinery would follow the rule of law. Because it's what we do. Most of us have worked through various administrations and would do what is right. Eventually, the choice of the people would bear out and those that supported the coup would likely lose various benefits when removed from our jobs.
Old 27th February 2020, 12:35 PM   #193
Cabbage
Banned

If he is not successful, why the concern? What if he does something that doesn't matter? Not sure why we should care.
I just explained to you why the concern. Yes, my explanation occurred after this post but it is an explanation that any reasonably intelligent person would've come up with all on their own.

Last edited by Cabbage; 27th February 2020 at 12:37 PM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:36 PM   #194
Cabbage
Banned

For the lawmakers, they would know that anything signed by the person not duly elected wouldn't be valid.

Everyone else would likely follow the rule of law.

Most of the people who operate the machinery would follow the rule of law. Because it's what we do. Most of us have worked through various administrations and would do what is right. Eventually, the choice of the people would bear out and those that supported the coup would likely lose various benefits when removed from our jobs.

Yeah, whenever you decide to say something relevant, just wake me up then.
Old 27th February 2020, 12:37 PM   #195
Leftus
Master Poster

By your rationale, why the **** are you participating in this conversation then? Why do you care? Just to tell everyone else they shouldn't care? Is a discussion forum not the correct place to discuss things that may, or may not take place?
I'm asking why they care about something they say won't have an impact. How is that not part of a discussion?
Old 27th February 2020, 12:39 PM   #196
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

This whole thread, including your comment, and not one person has actually given a factual reason why Trump wouldn't try what we've claimed. Only claims that it won't succeed (something no one has really said). Thanks for your irrelevant, thinly veiled insult though. Lame as it might be.
I've given factual reasons. But you don't want to hear them. You want your paranoid delusions. And you think those delusions are "factual".

Trump has broken so, so many minds.
Old 27th February 2020, 12:39 PM   #197
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Actually, every bit of that is absolutely irrelevant to my concerns: That Trump refuses to concede and rallies his base to anger at the unjustness of him losing the election. Even if the new President is sworn in and Trump sulks away, I'm still concerned with pockets of terrorist attacks perpetrated by Trumptrash here and there.
And here I thought people were saying it wasn't paranoia.
Old 27th February 2020, 12:40 PM   #198
Leftus
Master Poster

Yeah, whenever you decide to say something relevant, just wake me up then.
My apologies for not bending facts to your delusions. Feel free to go back to sleep. Sorry for trying to insert reality into your dreams.
Old 27th February 2020, 12:41 PM   #199
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Are you concerned with what Bernie Bros might do?
Old 27th February 2020, 12:44 PM   #200
Leftus
Master Poster

Are you concerned with what Bernie Bros might do?
Of course not. They aren't the bad guys.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics