IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 27th February 2020, 12:45 PM   #201
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
For the lawmakers, they would know that anything signed by the person not duly elected wouldn't be valid.

Everyone else would likely follow the rule of law.
Why would they start caring about that now? They have been holding it in contempt for years why should I expect any kind of change? He has broken plenty of laws and it doesn't matter. Why would mere law suddenly matter? The Impeachment clearly showed this rule of law crap is dead.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:52 PM   #202
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Are you concerned with what Bernie Bros might do?

I'm concerned over any terrorist attacks. You got any more stupid questions?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:54 PM   #203
Cabbage
Banned

And here I thought people were saying it wasn't paranoia.
My apologies for not bending facts to your delusions. Feel free to go back to sleep. Sorry for trying to insert reality into your dreams.

When there have already been bomb attacks from Trump supporters, the only delusional ones are people like you, denying the potential for more violence.

You'd make a good poster boy for the power of willful ignorance.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 12:55 PM   #204
Cabbage
Banned

Of course not. They aren't the bad guys.

Oh, you're not only guilty of delusion and denial, you decided to throw a straw man argument at me, to boot.

Again, wake me up once you learn how to debate without invoking fallacy after fallacy.
Old 27th February 2020, 12:58 PM   #205
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I'm concerned over any terrorist attacks.
That doesn't actually answer the question I asked. I'm asking about concern over potential future attacks, not actual past attacks. Are you concerned that there's a significant potential from Bernie Bros, or only from Trumpsters? One can be concerned over "any terrorist attacks" but still think that a group poses no real risk of such attacks.

For example, I'm not in the least bit concerned about possible terrorist attacks from Shriners. You have stated that you think Trumpsters pose a risk significant enough to worry about. Do you think Bernie Bros pose a risk significant enough to worry about?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 01:00 PM   #206
plague311
Great minds think...

I'm asking why they care about something they say won't have an impact. How is that not part of a discussion?
I wasn't contesting it's part of the conversation. You're saying it's conversation we shouldn't have because it just won't come to be. I don't understand why you're here then.

I've given factual reasons. But you don't want to hear them. You want your paranoid delusions. And you think those delusions are "factual".

Trump has broken so, so many minds.
Another thinly veiled insult aside, you haven't given a factual anything. You've made a repeated claim that is nothing more than "nuh uh". That's it. You've provided nothing other than your own speculation.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 01:03 PM   #207
Cabbage
Banned

Do you think Bernie Bros pose a risk significant enough to worry about?

Sure, but not as much as the risk from Trumptrash.
Old 27th February 2020, 01:04 PM   #208
plague311
Great minds think...

That doesn't actually answer the question I asked. I'm asking about concern over potential future attacks, not actual past attacks.
We were talking about the potential of Trump not leaving office and ya'll said it couldn't happen. Why the change of heart?

Are you concerned that there's a significant potential from Bernie Bros, or only from Trumpsters? One can be concerned over "any terrorist attacks" but still think that a group poses no real risk of such attacks.
Of those two groups, which has a history of physical violence and terrorist style shootings? Which one of those groups has quoted their person of choice before murdering people?

For example, I'm not in the least bit concerned about possible terrorist attacks from Shriners. You have stated that you think Trumpsters pose a risk significant enough to worry about. Do you think Bernie Bros pose a risk significant enough to worry about?
I don't know about him, but I don't. Then again, I haven't heard Bernie encourage his supporters to riot if he doesn't win like Trump did in 2016.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 01:05 PM   #209
Cabbage
Banned

That doesn't actually answer the question I asked. I'm asking about concern over potential future attacks, not actual past attacks. Are you concerned that there's a significant potential from Bernie Bros, or only from Trumpsters? One can be concerned over "any terrorist attacks" but still think that a group poses no real risk of such attacks.

My turn now:

Do you honestly think the risk of terrorist attacks from Trump supporters (assuming Trump loses 2020) is so small as to be nonexistent?

Do you have evidence of Sanders rallying his supporters to violence (like Trump has)?
Old 27th February 2020, 01:08 PM   #210
Lurch
Master Poster

At Trump's WH conference (the first use of the briefing room in very nearly a year!!), his response to a question about his gutting of the CDC was to the effect of not liking having thousands of people on the payroll when not needed. And then following that with knowing all the good people that could be hired when needed.

So he approaches national preparedness as an element of the gig economy? He expects experts to remain current in their fields while sitting at home, awaiting the Leader's call to action at a moment's notice? Then to be sent back into cold storage when the crisis is over?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 01:16 PM   #211
Donal
Philosopher

That is what he sees everyone as. Just tools for his own use/amusement to be set aside when not needed.
Old 27th February 2020, 01:30 PM   #212
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My turn now:

Do you honestly think the risk of terrorist attacks from Trump supporters (assuming Trump loses 2020) is so small as to be nonexistent?

Do you have evidence of Sanders rallying his supporters to violence (like Trump has)?
I think terrorist attacks from antifa if Trump wins reelection are more likely than terrorist attacks from Trump supporters if he doesn't. Whether either of those risks is so small as to be nonexistent I'll let you decide for yourself.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 01:39 PM   #213
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Are you concerned with what Bernie Bros might do?
Not really, because Sanders doesn’t encourage and condone violence.

Trump does.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 01:49 PM   #214
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think terrorist attacks from antifa if Trump wins reelection are more likely than terrorist attacks from Trump supporters if he doesn't. Whether either of those risks is so small as to be nonexistent I'll let you decide for yourself.
The people that haven't sent bombs, run over\killed other people, and punched people in the head at rallies are MORE likely to be violent than those that have done it? Did Antifa do that the first time?

That's an interesting take I'll give you that.

Last edited by plague311; 27th February 2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 27th February 2020, 01:55 PM   #215
johnny karate

If he is not successful, why the concern? What if he does something that doesn't matter? Not sure why we should care. What if, after the election he goes and gets a hair cut and a beer? Gnashing of teeth; rending of garments?
Trump encourages and condones violence among his supporters who swallow every bit of propaganda he feeds them.

Perhaps you can connect the dots and see how that might be a problem if Trump loses the election and decides he doesn’t want to leave office.

Last edited by johnny karate; 27th February 2020 at 01:59 PM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 01:56 PM   #216
Armitage72
Philosopher

And Bernie Bros haven't offered to blow up sanctuary cities with nuclear weapon suicide bombs if their leader tells them to.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 01:58 PM   #217
johnny karate

And here I thought people were saying it wasn't paranoia.
Trump has literally encouraged and condoned violence among his supporters. It’s not paranoia. It’s reality.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:01 PM   #218
johnny karate

Bernie Sanders doesn't encourage and condone violence among his supporters.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:03 PM   #219
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Another thinly veiled insult aside, you haven't given a factual anything. You've made a repeated claim that is nothing more than "nuh uh". That's it. You've provided nothing other than your own speculation.
Oh, the irony. The entire premise of this thread is nothing other than speculation.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 02:03 PM   #220
johnny karate

The people that haven't sent bombs, run over\killed other people, and punched people in the head at rallies are MORE likely to be violent than those that have done it? Did Antifa do that the first time?

That's an interesting take I'll give you that.
Some might call it "far-fetched" or "paranoia" or perhaps that a person believing it is suffering from "mental illness".
Old 27th February 2020, 02:04 PM   #221
johnny karate

Oh, the irony. The entire premise of this thread is nothing other than speculation.
Yes, speculation based on things Trump has said and done.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:07 PM   #222
Cabbage
Banned

My turn now:

Looks like we can write this up as yet another instance where Zig doesn't have the courage to reciprocate in a debate.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:07 PM   #223
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Of those two groups, which has a history of physical violence and terrorist style shootings?
I see that James Hodgkinson has been successfully memory holed.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:17 PM   #224
johnny karate

I see that James Hodgkinson has been successfully memory holed.
That you've had to link the same incident twice should tell you something.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:18 PM   #225
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

My turn now:

Nonexistent? No. But smaller than the risk of Bernie Bros.

Quote:
I never claimed he did. He doesn't have to. He seems to attract the type, possibly because he's a commie.

Looks like we can write this up as yet another instance where Zig doesn't have the courage to reciprocate in a debate.
Ooops!
Old 27th February 2020, 02:19 PM   #226
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
That you've had to link the same incident twice should tell you something.
Yes, it does: plague311 was in denial, since he asked about the very thing I had already demonstrated.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:24 PM   #227
Cabbage
Banned

Thank you for at least finally responding.

Quote:
I never claimed he did. He doesn't have to. He seems to attract the type, possibly because he's a commie.

How convenient of you to forget violence done in Trump's name. You're a living, breathing manifestation of confirmation bias.

Quote:
Ooops!

Only after I prompted you. And let's not forget the questions in the past that you've simply never responded to. Don't pat yourself on the back too hard for rising to the occasion this one time.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:24 PM   #228
johnny karate

Based on what data?
Old 27th February 2020, 02:25 PM   #229
Cabbage
Banned

Yes, it does: plague311 was in denial, since he asked about the very thing I had already demonstrated.
No, it demonstrates that you're trying to paint a pattern from a single example.

Confirmation Bias
Old 27th February 2020, 02:26 PM   #230
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The problem right now is that the thread is on full derail. It's no longer about Trump using the virus for anything.

If a post does not contain the word "virus" (or equivalent) then the post is most likely part of the ongoing derail.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:48 PM   #231
plague311
Great minds think...

No, it demonstrates that you're trying to paint a pattern from a single example.

Confirmation Bias
Exactly what I was going to say. I can prattle off 6 Trump supporters that have committed violent acts. Everything from slamming a child on the concrete to shooting up a black church...but yeah. That one instance totally evens it up.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:50 PM   #232
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Exactly what I was going to say. I can prattle off 6 Trump supporters that have committed violent acts. Everything from slamming a child on the concrete to shooting up a black church...but yeah. That one instance totally evens it up.
How is this related to Covid-19?
Old 27th February 2020, 02:53 PM   #233
johnny karate

No, not even. That claim is the "Bernie Bros" are worse.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:53 PM   #234
Donal
Philosopher

The fact that you have to link to 1 guy in the face of every attack or threat of attack by the weakling's fanbois says a lot. Especially in the light of the fact that Sanders has never encouraged violent attacks or used language that can be interpreted as doing so. He has directly disavowed any violent acts or harassment campaigns done in his name.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:58 PM   #235
johnny karate

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
How is this related to Covid-19?
Like this:

The OP speculated that Trump might try to use the threat of a pandemic to his benefit in the upcoming election.

His defenders promptly alerted us that this was silly.

The response was to point out the ways that it wasn't silly, most notably in the threat of Trump's supporters committing acts of violence with his encouragement.

Pretty standard thread drift.
Old 27th February 2020, 03:02 PM   #236
Donal
Philosopher

Lets try to get it back on track:

For the people who believe it is reasonable to suspect he will try to use the corona virus outbreak to his advantage:

1) In what way?

2) what do you base this on:

For the people who believe it is unreasonable:

what do you base this on?
Old 27th February 2020, 03:14 PM   #237
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Will Trump See Covid-19 as an Opportunity?
TRUMP-brand face masks.
Old 27th February 2020, 03:17 PM   #238
llwyd
Graduate Poster

Well, an actual crisis needing an actual show of shrewd leadership - so, yep, totally, sounds like an opportunity for our dear Donald.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 03:24 PM   #239
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Pretty standard thread drift.
Derailed train is totally off the track.
Old 27th February 2020, 03:27 PM   #240
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
TRUMP-brand face masks.
Trump brand "all natural" cures.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics