IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 28th February 2020, 12:40 PM   #321
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
If I agreed they were lying to the American people yes. Trump does say a lot of things he shouldn’t. When did he say it would disappear and what was the whole context.
From: https://time.com/5790880/coronavirus...eather-summer/
He told a crowd at a Feb. 10 rally in New Hampshire: “You know, in theory when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away, that’s true.”
Dr. Nancy Messionnier of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, warned against assuming the number of cases will slow as the weather warms...Other health experts that TIME spoke to agree that it’s too early to say if warmer weather will impact the virus’s spread..."Past coronavirus outbreaks, SARS and MERS, haven’t really exhibited clear evidence of being seasonal".

That was one of the times that he claimed the problem would just vanish. There was also this:

From: https://q13fox.com/2020/02/27/trump-...ar-eventually/
“It’s going to disappear. One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear,” Trump told attendees at an African American History Month reception in the White House Cabinet Room.
(Note: He did say it might get worse first, although his "We'll see what happens" doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence.)

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 12:48 PM   #322
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
If I agreed they were lying to the American people yes. Trump does say a lot of things he shouldn’t. When did he say it would disappear and what was the whole context.
I initially misread the last sentence of your post.

I didn't realize you were asking for additional information, despite the fact that I already gave you a link providing exactly that.

Here's the link again, if you need it:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/fa...ss-conference/
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 01:36 PM   #323
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I now think the Corona VIrus might just be a huge gift to the Dems.
It is highlighting Trump's incompetence.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 28th February 2020 at 01:37 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 01:38 PM   #324
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
A whistleblower has come forwards stating that due to incompetence and going against the advice of the CDC the Trump administration may have facilitated the spread of the virus. For taking her complaints up the chain of command she was threatened with termination and reassigned. Officials tried to cover it up, including seemingly trying to mislead Congress.
The same response as China to initial initial contact with the disease. Cover it up and hope it goes away.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 01:44 PM   #325
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I initially misread the last sentence of your post.

I didn't realize you were asking for additional information, despite the fact that I already gave you a link providing exactly that.

Here's the link again, if you need it:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/fa...ss-conference/
Bit semantic, but with those bullet points.

The first doesn't disprove what he said.

Second isn't even him

Third in terms of Medicine and normal procedure vaccines for this are being fast tracked

Fourth he is an idiot

Fifth isn't even him again

Sixth is wrong. The current one is body fluid and not air transfered

Someone should fact check fact check

Edit: apologies. Misread read the last one.

Sixth they are criticising him for something he didn't even say?

Last edited by cullennz; 28th February 2020 at 01:46 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 01:49 PM   #326
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

Second isn't even him

Third in terms of Medicine and normal procedure vaccines for this are being fast tracked

Fourth he is an idiot

Why the sudden love for Donnie?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 01:51 PM   #327
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There is already plenty of that. Most of it does not involve people dying.
Old 28th February 2020, 01:55 PM   #328
plague311
Great minds think...

I don't think it's sudden. Cullenz has been pro-Trump for awhile. At least all of the threads I see him participate in, though I think a few people have been a bit more pro-trump since it seems that Bernie is going to win the nom.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 02:04 PM   #329
cullennz
Banned

I don't have any love for the orange idiot.

He is a complete twit.

But whether he wins or loses or acts like a complete spoon has zero affect on my life and I really don't care,.

Was just looking at the fact check from an impartial view.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 02:06 PM   #330
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I don't think it's sudden. Cullenz has been pro-Trump for awhile. At least all of the threads I see him participate in, though I think a few people have been a bit more pro-trump since it seems that Bernie is going to win the nom.
I couldn't give a rats **** which one wins.

Apart from finding it a bit weird people think a president Bernies age is a good idea.

But all good
Old 28th February 2020, 02:09 PM   #331
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He is a complete twit.

But whether he wins or loses or acts like a complete spoon has zero affect on my life and I really don't care,.

That is where you are wrong.
I know you are a Kiwi,but if you think living in New Zealand is going in insulate you from the impact of how much damage to the world in general Trump can do, you are sadly mistaken.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th February 2020, 02:14 PM   #332
cullennz
Banned

I know you are a Kiwi,but if you think living in New Zealand is going in insulate you from the impact of how much damage to the world in general Trump can do, you are sadly mistaken.
Well he has had 4 years to do it and it hasn't happened yet.

More worried about China atm.

They actually like trade
Old 28th February 2020, 02:22 PM   #333
Cabbage
Banned

He is a complete twit.

Impartial view? Hardly. Looked to me like you was kissing his ass.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 02:25 PM   #334
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Impartial view? Hardly. Looked to me like you was kissing his ass.
In what way exactly.

Perhaps you could point to any point I made which in anyway praises him.

You know. Just to humour me.
Old 28th February 2020, 02:40 PM   #335
johnny karate

He is a complete twit.

You didn't actually refute anything, so I'm not sure what "fact checking" you think took place.

Unless your "fact check" was just to offer your personal seal of approval. In which case... thanks, I guess?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 02:43 PM   #336
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think we are dealing with someone trying to be a cool,edgy smart ass, folks..and failing.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th February 2020, 02:46 PM   #337
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
You didn't actually refute anything, so I'm not sure what "fact checking" you think took place.

Unless your "fact check" was just to offer your personal seal of approval. In which case... thanks, I guess?
All I was implying was the fact check seems a bit padded with things that are either not technically refuting him (the 1st). Not him. Criticism of things he didn't do (the last).

Just looks like it is just written to make the one thing he did say which was incredibly stupid. "Flu is much higher". Be big enough to just an article
Old 28th February 2020, 02:47 PM   #338
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

It's transmitted through droplets, as far as I know. That's called airborne, which HIV isn't. Thinking this is as hard to get as AIDS would be a big mistake.

You don't get AIDS if someone sneezes on you.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 02:52 PM   #339
johnny karate

All I was implying was the fact check seems a bit padded with things that are either not technically refuting him (the 1st). Not him. Criticism of things he didn't do (the last).

Just looks like it is just written to make the one thing he did say which was incredibly stupid. "Flu is much higher". Be big enough to just an article

This is the header to the article:
Quote:
Facing a declining stock market and criticism from Democrats, President Donald Trump and other officials have minimized the risks of the coronavirus to the U.S. and given inaccurate and misleading information about the new virus.

Which of the bullet points that followed do you think failed to meet the criteria of that header?
Old 28th February 2020, 02:56 PM   #340
cullennz
Banned

It is on a thread as proof about how evil Trump is.
Old 28th February 2020, 02:58 PM   #341
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It's transmitted through droplets, as far as I know. That's called airborne, which HIV isn't. Thinking this is as hard to get as AIDS would be a big mistake.

You don't get AIDS if someone sneezes on you.
I know

That is why I apologised for misreading it.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:01 PM   #342
johnny karate

It is on a thread as proof about how evil Trump is.
It was linked specifically to demonstrate how the Trump administration has been offering falsehoods and misinformation regarding COVID-19 to the American public.

I’m struggling to understand why you have a problem with it. Please clarify.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:02 PM   #343
Cain
Straussian

According to President Trump, the stock market dropped because people saw the terrible Democratic debate. Never mind that he will easily beat anyone the Democrats nominate. The Coronavirus will turn out to be another Russia hoax (if it's not a Ukraine hoax or a global warming hoax, which was also created by the Chinese). The best people are hard at work.

It's not like Trump has spent time bitching about trophies in film or holding rallies for re-election. Koreans r bad.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 03:02 PM   #344
cullennz
Banned

I think we are dealing with someone trying to be a cool,edgy smart ass, folks..and failing.
OK. You are right.

That fact check is uncriticisable proof he is evil personified.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:04 PM   #345
johnny karate

OK. You are right.

That fact check is uncriticisable proof he is evil personified.
No one made a claim even remotely resembling that.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:05 PM   #346
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Well he has had 4 years to do it and it hasn't happened yet.
The problem is, many of the things that Trump is doing will have a detrimental effect to the world, but the effects might not be seen for a few years.

For example:

- Trump's withdrawal from the Paris climate accords and efforts to bolster fossil fuels will contribute to climate change. This means that even people in other continents will have to contend with changes in weather patterns that might not have occurred if the U.S. actually had a responsible president

- Trump's efforts to deregulate the financial industry and bump up the deficit means that when the next recession hits, it will likely be longer and deeper than it needs to be. And because of the size of the American economy, all parts of the world will be affected

- Trump's plans to cut CDC funding (and the elimination of experts from the National Security Council) means that diseases which could be limited to a small geographic region have a higher chance of spreading and becoming a global pandemic.

Now, do any of these impact you immediately? Probably not. But they may impact you in a few years.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 03:14 PM   #347
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

If there's one thing I won't attribute to Trump, it's the slump in the stock market. (I didn't really attribute the high to his influence, either.) The plunge has nothing to do with him, although I think it could get worse if his response continues to be hapless.

Republicans are saying Democrats are happy for the virus for that reason -- that they want millions of people to die because it will make Trump look bad.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:20 PM   #348
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
If there's one thing I won't attribute to Trump, it's the slump in the stock market. (I didn't really attribute the high to his influence, either.) The plunge has nothing to do with him, although I think it could get worse if his response continues to be hapless.

Republicans are saying Democrats are happy for the virus for that reason -- that they want millions of people to die because it will make Trump look bad.

Well,it would...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:22 PM   #349
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The problem is, many of the things that Trump is doing will have a detrimental effect to the world, but the effects might not be seen for a few years.

For example:

- Trump's withdrawal from the Paris climate accords and efforts to bolster fossil fuels will contribute to climate change. This means that even people in other continents will have to contend with changes in weather patterns that might not have occurred if the U.S. actually had a responsible president

- Trump's efforts to deregulate the financial industry and bump up the deficit means that when the next recession hits, it will likely be longer and deeper than it needs to be. And because of the size of the American economy, all parts of the world will be affected

- Trump's plans to cut CDC funding (and the elimination of experts from the National Security Council) means that diseases which could be limited to a small geographic region have a higher chance of spreading and becoming a global pandemic.

Now, do any of these impact you immediately? Probably not. But they may impact you in a few years.
Fair points with the first two.

While I get your third, I think it is a bit of an unknown.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:32 PM   #350
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I agree. I think he is handling it in an amateur way suggesting that he is a newbie at doing politics. I don't like it.

No, Trump is very professional. Any rank amateur would be able to do a better job at it than him by leaving the whole thing to experts who know what to do or how to find out what to do.
Trump, however, is a professional manipulator, trying to put the blame for calamities that arise from his attempts at hiding/distorting the truth about the virus outbreak and blaming other people. What his technique may lack in subtlety, it makes up for in consistency: It's what he always does.
Calling him an amateur implies that he is interested in fighting the coronavirus efficiently. He isn't. That's not what Trump does.
Next we'll be hearing John Barron tell the world that Trump is the best disease fighter of all time! On this planet and any other!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 03:35 PM   #351
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

You keep making this claim and it's still as nonsensical as was the first time.

Trump has made no difference whatsoever to NZ thus far, and won't make any whether he lasts one more year or five.

You overestimate America's effect on the parts of the world it isn't dropping bombs on. Like Europe, Australia and several other enlightened nations, we're quite happy to sit back and laugh at both sides of Trumpism, because he does not have any material effect on our lives or countries.

He's hysterically funny*, and the people opposing him are almost as funny. That ridiculous, pompous, slave of Wall Street, Nancy Pelosi, and her making faces and tearing things up behind Trump's back is no less toddler tantrum the bizarre behaviour he shows.

USA is a lot like Israel v Saudi - both sides are bat **** crazy.

*Just to keep it on topic, you can't get funnier than appointing an anti-science, fundamentalist christian to head the fight against a virus that requires an evidence-based, scientific approach.
Old 28th February 2020, 03:47 PM   #352
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

- Trump's withdrawal from the Paris climate accords and efforts to bolster fossil fuels will contribute to climate change.
Fair points with the first two.
While I get your third, I think it is a bit of an unknown.
Well, there's no guarantee that Trump's actions will contribute to a pandemic, it does increase the risk.

From: https://www.the-scientist.com/daily-...-at-risk-30298
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is facing dark days. Not only has the agency been marred by the resignation of Director Brenda Fitzgerald last month, but Congress has also been slowly chipping away at funding for the agency’s public health programs. When the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act was signed into law on December 22, it cut $750 million from the Prevention and Public Health Fund (PPHF)...the CDC will reduce or stop work in 39 of 49 foreign countries focused on preventing infectious-disease epidemics and other health threats. Slashing those programs, along with financial support for PPHF, which provides infrastructure and support for some of those programs, hampers the CDC’s broader capacity to respond to and contain disease outbreaks.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 28th February 2020, 05:28 PM   #353
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I see that he said like a miracle instead of a miracle...

It's being used as a figure of speech. It's not a suggestion that it would be a miracle - which is an act of God or paranormal or supernatural.
It appears you believe I was asking for it to explained to me and that I needed your help. Wrong. I know exactly what the monster said.
Old 28th February 2020, 05:30 PM   #354
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Whoa lady. Put down the knife.
Old 28th February 2020, 06:08 PM   #355
Cabbage
Banned

In what way exactly.

Perhaps you could point to any point I made which in anyway praises him.

You know. Just to humour me.

To start with, without even reviewing your bulleted list, I recall from memory at least two cases where you are excusing Trump for the actions of those within the Trump administration. Trump hired the people in his administration yet for some reason you are excusing Trump for the faults of his own administration. That's what I call kissing his ass.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 06:25 PM   #356
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's against the ISF rules to talk about each other instead of talking about Trump and the virus.
Old 28th February 2020, 06:26 PM   #357
Lurch
Master Poster

He is a complete twit.

Zero impact on your life? Yet here you are, discussing him.

More seriously, you've probably heard the saying, "When the US sneezes the world catches cold."
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 06:45 PM   #358
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
More seriously, you've probably heard the saying, "When the US sneezes the world catches cold."
Covid's a nice change then - the world sneezes and USA catches pneumonia.
Old 28th February 2020, 07:02 PM   #359
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
To start with, without even reviewing your bulleted list, I recall from memory at least two cases where you are excusing Trump for the actions of those within the Trump administration. Trump hired the people in his administration yet for some reason you are excusing Trump for the faults of his own administration. That's what I call kissing his ass.
Rather than relying on your memory. Can you post links to me doing this?

As

A) you could be just making it up

B) With all due respect I don't know how addled your memory is.

If it a) that is cool. I will just make **** up you have done as well
Old 28th February 2020, 07:22 PM   #360
Cabbage
Banned

Rather than relying on your memory. Can you post links to me doing this?

As

A) you could be just making it up

B) With all due respect I don't know how addled your memory is.

If it a) that is cool. I will just make **** up you have done as well

Second isn't even him

Fourth he is an idiot

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics