ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 14th December 2019, 10:04 PM   #521
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Having said that, this is about the stupidest generalisation you can get

Greta: It is not fair that the older generation are handing over the responsibility to solve this crisis to us young people who have not started this crisis. It's not fair that we have to do all this.
This is a dumb thing to say, because the older generation didn't start the crisis either. I guess you could say it started back in the industrial revolution.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 10:12 PM   #522
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Ironically, early industry was wood fired. It would eventually have deforested the entire planet, but with some small effort it could have been sustainable and carbon neutral over time.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 10:17 PM   #523
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Then man discovered smelting 7000 years ago and Greta's childhood was destined to be stolen
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 10:17 PM   #524
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
This is a dumb thing to say, because the older generation didn't start the crisis either. I guess you could say it started back in the industrial revolution.
Tell me, what did the older generations do about climate change despite the science being clear for a long time? That’s right, **** all.

You and St Thermal might be paragons of virtue, but in general older generations have done nothing of consequence.

You will probably respond with something like “what’s the point of blaming?” Well, accountability is important in my view.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 10:22 PM   #525
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Tell me, what did the older generations do about climate change despite the science being clear for a long time? That’s right, **** all.

You and St Thermal might be paragons of virtue, but in general older generations have done nothing of consequence.

You will probably respond with something like “what’s the point of blaming?” Well, accountability is important in my view.
So a generalisation

And accountability is fine, if you want it, to the correct people.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 10:49 PM   #526
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The generation that was terrified of the coming ice age didn't do enough make the world cool down?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 11:04 PM   #527
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The generation that was terrified of the coming ice age didn't do enough make the world cool down?
That And my parents generation being more worried about being nuked.

But they had an easy answer to survive the blast

Hunk against a wall.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Old 15th December 2019, 01:13 AM   #528
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

So a generalisation

And accountability is fine, if you want it, to the correct people.

Not a generalisation. A fact.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2019, 01:16 AM   #529
a_unique_person

That generation didn't exist. One piece of sensationalist reporting by Time does not make a story for a whole generation. The concern about the coming ice age was due to a lack of understanding about the timings of the Milankovich cycles and it was something we can do nothing to prevent.

I heard about concern about global warming not long after that.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2019, 01:28 AM   #530
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I'm starting to picture that all you men sitting here being uncivil to each other are getting more drunk by the minute, and more and more in need to pee.

I've got to stop letting this thread upset me. You do too.

Breathe. Have a glass of water. Stand up and move around. Is is worth coming back?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2019, 02:46 AM   #531
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Not a generalisation. A fact.
You:

"but in general older generations have done nothing of consequence."

Old 15th December 2019, 03:10 AM   #532
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Since when does the expression of keeping someones back to the wall indicate violence? It means keeping them to account and not letting them get away.
Old 15th December 2019, 03:27 AM   #533
a_unique_person

You:

"but in general older generations have done nothing of consequence."

You called it a generalisation, not me.
Old 15th December 2019, 08:05 AM   #534
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Put your back against the wall" means to keep the pressure on.

"Put you up against the wall" means to round you up and execute you for political dissent. E.g., "When the revolution comes, people who questioned Greta will be the first against the wall."

Not a big deal; her explanation makes sense. I'm more concerned about the English speaking audience that heard it and applauded.
Old 15th December 2019, 08:06 AM   #535
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You called it a generalisation, not me.
Lionking literally used the words "in general" to describe something.
Old 15th December 2019, 08:53 AM   #536
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I'm starting to picture that all you men sitting here being uncivil to each other are getting more drunk by the minute, and more and more in need to pee.

Breathe. Have a glass of water. Stand up and move around. Is is worth coming back?
Good point. I was just thinking about how to viciously respond to being inexplicably called St Thermal. This thing isn't a discussion.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2019, 09:58 AM   #537
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

I’m male and I am not certain I blame all of the weirdness of this thread on the male gender, although gee there are a lot of males here. And honestly I do suspect that much of the irritation many males in the world have with Thunberg is based on their inability to be taken to task by a young women, although I do no suggest that is true of the posters here.

Having said that, I have increasingly questioned if I need a drink of water and some fresh air. You are right! I am going for a walk from this thread... hopefully a very long refreshing walk. I took one earlier but returned; apparently too soon.

Last edited by Giordano; 15th December 2019 at 10:00 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2019, 10:02 AM   #538
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Good point. I was just thinking about how to viciously respond to being inexplicably called St Thermal. This thing isn't a discussion.
But it is funny though, all this refusal to even remotely acknowledge the role that consumer culture and consumer demand plays in climate change in favour of all this being victims of corporate and government action/inaction.

I've been right about why climate change activism has failed miserably and will continue to fail miserably, for longer than Greta Thunberg has been alive.

Quote:
The public is more likely to support systemic action, the study finds, if those advocating it have a low carbon footprint.

“It is really important that scientists, or other messengers who communicate with the public, model those behaviors that reduce carbon emissions to drive their point home,” one of the authors, Professor Elke Weber, said in an interview released yesterday by Princeton University.
As to the Saint Thermal thing....I'd just tear a page out of Greta Thunberg's playbook and have your custom title changed to reflect your new status. I'd be proud to be called Saint Stout because I'm so eco-virtuous that I just blew my nose on the cat to save a tissue.

Just for fun.

Lil Dicky - Earth (Official Music Video) Content note/trigger warning: needless pandering to "awareness raising" but environment trashing celebrities however the video does contain the cutest koala ever.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2019, 10:10 AM   #539
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
But it is funny though, all this refusal to even remotely acknowledge the role that consumer culture and consumer demand plays in climate change in favour of all this being victims of corporate and government action/inaction.

I've been right about why climate change activism has failed miserably and will continue to fail miserably, for longer than Greta Thunberg has been alive.

As to the Saint Thermal thing....I'd just tear a page out of Greta Thunberg's playbook and have your custom title changed to reflect your new status. I'd be proud to be called Saint Stout because I'm so eco-virtuous that I just blew my nose on the cat to save a tissue.

Just for fun.

Lil Dicky - Earth (Official Music Video) Content note/trigger warning: needless pandering to "awareness raising" but environment trashing celebrities however the video does contain the cutest koala ever.
Readers of this post who don't read the article probably won't realize the author praises Greta's efficacy as an advocate.
Old 15th December 2019, 10:17 AM   #540
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Readers of this post who don't read the article probably won't realize the author praises Greta's efficacy as an advocate.
Yes, it does. Because she walks the talk. Every other environmental advocate, not so much.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2019, 10:45 AM   #541
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Lionking literally used the words "in general" to describe something.
Sarcastically.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2019, 10:51 AM   #542
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

This is one of the things the climate change hoax is really about -- wealth transfer:

https://www.breitbart.com/environmen...imate-demands/
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2019, 11:00 AM   #543
a_unique_person

Andrew Bolt writes about Greta again.
Old 15th December 2019, 03:22 PM   #544
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I've alluded to this more than once with no response..

Recently:

Quote:
... the people who vote on these issues are not going to give up on the things they want that cause all this pollution...
Old 15th December 2019, 04:26 PM   #545
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
This is one of the things the climate change hoax is really about -- wealth transfer:

https://www.breitbart.com/environmen...imate-demands/
Alas, I no longer maintain this most excellent list of stooges, frauds and doofuses who deny GW and who have been foisted on this very forum. The author certainly merits!
Old 15th December 2019, 04:27 PM   #546
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Andrew Bolt writes about Greta again.
Sarcastically?
Old 15th December 2019, 09:02 PM   #547
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Tru dat. The gov't and the market both respond to what the people want, at least in theory. All need to work together.

As an aside, my local recycling is single-stream (cardboard, bottles, cans all mixed in same container). This was done because of lazy asses complaining that separating into three cans was too much work (I hate people). So they are throwing half of the paper recycling into the landfill because it is food contaminated.

Does this mean give up? I don't think so. It means keep working till we find a sustainable system.

Quote:

Just for fun.
Done. Lionking can now purchase carbon offset credits directly from me. Cash is fine.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2019, 10:22 PM   #548
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

This is pretty funny

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/15/e...rnd/index.html

Greta tweets

Quote:
.........."Traveling on overcrowded trains through Germany," the climate activist wrote. "And I'm finally on my way home!"............

..................was on her way home to Sweden when she shared a photo of her sitting aboard a Deutsche Bahn train, surrounded by bags.

Some Twitter users responded to Thunberg by criticizing the company, which has had a reputation for delays and other performance issues in recent years.

At first, the railway company seemed to express solidarity with Thunberg and her activism.

"Dear Greta, thanks for supporting us railroaders in the fight against climate change. We were happy that you were traveling with us Saturday in ICE 74," the company said, referring to the route of the high-speed ICE train she was riding. "And that's with 100% sustainable electricity."

"It would have been even nicer," Deutsche Bahn added in a second tweet, "if you had also reported how friendly and competently you were taken care of by our team in your seat in first class.".........

Last edited by cullennz; 15th December 2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 15th December 2019, 11:18 PM   #549
Matthew Best
Philosopher

DB confirmed that Greta had travelled first class between the cities of Kassel and Hamburg. Greta responded swiftly, suggesting that DB had overreacted to her tweet by inferring that she had criticised the company for running an overcrowded service.

Contrary to their claim that she had spent the entire journey in a seat in first class, Greta said in a tweet on Sunday afternoon she had only been able to sit in a seat after Göttingen, more than four hours into her journey, and for the remaining two hours, before having to change in Hamburg for a further connection towards Scandinavia.

“This is no problem of course and I never said it was,” she wrote. “Overcrowded trains is a great sign because it means the demand for train travel is high!”

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rman-rail-firm
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2019, 11:28 PM   #550
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
DB confirmed that Greta had travelled first class between the cities of Kassel and Hamburg. Greta responded swiftly, suggesting that DB had overreacted to her tweet by inferring that she had criticised the company for running an overcrowded service.

Contrary to their claim that she had spent the entire journey in a seat in first class, Greta said in a tweet on Sunday afternoon she had only been able to sit in a seat after Göttingen, more than four hours into her journey, and for the remaining two hours, before having to change in Hamburg for a further connection towards Scandinavia.

“This is no problem of course and I never said it was,” she wrote. “Overcrowded trains is a great sign because it means the demand for train travel is high!”

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rman-rail-firm
Interesting she didn't post a photo from first class.

Old 15th December 2019, 11:47 PM   #551
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Are you planning to infer something from this other than a minor PR boo-boo?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 12:00 AM   #552
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Are you planning to infer something from this other than a minor PR boo-boo?
Not really

Just saw it and thought it would be quite a funny wind up, but my heart isn't in it tonight.

Does show a fair bit is staged, but then all fashionable celebrities pictures are staged

Old 16th December 2019, 12:38 AM   #553
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Interesting she didn't post a photo from first class.
Could be she just didn't think it would be worth posting photos from every single stage of her journey home. She wasn't to know how much interest you would take in the various legs of her train ride.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 01:35 AM   #554
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
This popped up on LinkedIn today:

“They are totally insensitive to the scope or impact of the issue,” Cikara says. “They just think the other side is going to be upset about anything.”

“Suddenly, people’s forecasts become accurate, which is quite an optimistic finding for cooperation,” Lees says. “If you can actually engender cooperation, people are much more likely to have accurate perceptions that might drive reconciliatory behavior.”

(New research from Harvard Business School.)

https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/how-to-tu...group-conflict

We all feel hurt by arguments.

But I don't think the research went far enough.

When we say we feel hurt, it seems it makes others say they feel hurt. And that sounds like an insult or accusation.

Especially when we are tired, hungry, thirsty, and need a pee!

I'm off that way myself.

Gee, the forum is interesting. Interesting times! I had a nice relaxing swim this afternoon.

I think the research is right, though, in that we like how it is when we agree?

Well done on bringing the article about the train in here, cullennz.

I didn't know there was even first class still!

Damn, I feel a stream-of-consciousness coming on. Quick! Enable exit strategy!!
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 03:25 AM   #555
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
I've alluded to this more than once with no response..

Recently:
People have made sacrifices and adapted to new circumstances throughout history. If politicians supposed treating this as a political issue and started treating it as a scientific issue than Pettigrew could be made a lot me easily. We have done it recently with the ozone layer.
Old 16th December 2019, 03:27 AM   #556
a_unique_person

Not really

Just saw it and thought it would be quite a funny wind up, but my heart isn't in it tonight.

Does show a fair bit is staged, but then all fashionable celebrities pictures are staged
By wind up you mean trolling?
Old 16th December 2019, 03:35 AM   #557
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

In the old days when in trolling meant harmless joking banter about a topic with long time posters, yes

These days when it apparently means online mental abuse, no.

I'll go with a stupid harmless story that I thought might cause slight outrage and then volunteered this info 1 hr 38 minutes later freely with no prompting as banter option.

But feel free to report me for trolling, if I offended your sensitivities, even though you weren't there during it.

Old 16th December 2019, 03:54 AM   #558
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. No feeding.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 04:03 AM   #559
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yes. No feeding.
Far out

If I offended people who weren't around with a joke which doesn't even criticise Greta in the posts, after just saying it was a joke an hour later forgive me.

It is like triggered central on here sometimes.

I am currently prostrating myself in front of my computer to all the sensitive posters and can recommend councilors if you let me know your geographical location

Last edited by cullennz; 16th December 2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 16th December 2019, 04:37 AM   #560
Matthew Best
Philosopher

But feel free to report me for trolling, if I offended your sensitivities, even though you weren't there during it.
There isn't a rule against trolling, so you can troll away to your heart's content, if that's what you enjoy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events