ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags james millette , kevin ryan , Niels Harrit , paint chips , richard gage , steven jones , wtc

Old 16th June 2012, 07:08 AM   #921
Ivan Kminek
Muse

Originally Posted by thedopefishlives View Post
He presumably considered the one which he happened to have on hand and could definitely compare against. At the time of his preliminary report, neither he nor (that I am aware of) anyone here had any knowledge of the LaClede primer as a potential candidate. His preliminary findings revealed it to be a possibility, and now he's going back to try to find a sample to compare against.
You can be right that Jim may possess some samples of Tnemec primer, which could be important for him. Btw, he has compared the analyzed samples with many other primers just using their declared composition, but also in this case, samples of real paints should be available (although contemporary ones, therefore not fully relevant).

Otherwise, your "timeline" is incorrect. We have "suspected" the Laclede primer starting last July, whereas the study of Jim Millette was "arranged" during November or December.

Last edited by Ivan Kminek; 16th June 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Ivan Kminek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2012, 07:26 AM   #922
pgimeno
Illuminator

Originally Posted by chrismohr View Post
Ivan,
I may be wrong, but: he does seem interested in LaClede. He just doesn't feel he can offer a positive ID unless he can find a known sample to compare it against.
I hope you and him keep this detail in mind, as it might be fairly easy to forget.

LaClede is not the name of a paint. It's the name of a steel manufacturer (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Steel) and they made several primers with different formulations. According to NCSTAR 1-6B:
The formulation for the primer was designated as Formula LREP 10001 and was found in Laclede files (see Appendix B).
That would be a more proper name of the paint. Also from the cited Wikipedia page:
The Port Authority chose to use many different, smaller steel suppliers such as Laclede, bidding on smaller portions of steel, rather than buying larger amounts from a single source such as Bethlehem Steel or U.S. Steel as a cost-saving measure.
Unless I'm missing something, that means that it would be fairly likely that there is no primer paint in many of the samples that was manufactured by LaClede Steel company.
Old 16th June 2012, 07:54 AM   #923
Ivan Kminek
Muse

Originally Posted by pgimeno View Post
I hope you and him keep this detail in mind, as it might be fairly easy to forget.

LaClede is not the name of a paint. It's the name of a steel manufacturer (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Steel) and they made several primers with different formulations. According to NCSTAR 1-6B:
The formulation for the primer was designated as Formula LREP 10001 and was found in Laclede files (see Appendix B).
That would be a more proper name of the paint. Also from the cited Wikipedia page:
The Port Authority chose to use many different, smaller steel suppliers such as Laclede, bidding on smaller portions of steel, rather than buying larger amounts from a single source such as Bethlehem Steel or U.S. Steel as a cost-saving measure.
Unless I'm missing something, that means that it would be fairly likely that there is no primer paint in many of the samples that was manufactured by LaClede Steel company.
Yes, you are right, we call this primer "Laclede" just because of some tradition here I think (because of some clues in the history of electropainting) that this epoxy paint should be a product of the former Pittsburgh Plate and Glass Company (mentioned in the "file" of this paint in NCSTAR 1-6B). Specification/few available details as for this paint were anyway mentioned in our "white paper" Oystein sent to Jim through Chris.

Last autumn, I found some webs with the paint specifications, but I was not able to find what Formula LREP 10001 means. This is one of the reasons why I wrote an e-mail to PPG industries (ancestor of the older company), but since I stupidly mentioned 911 conspiracy theories, no answer followed.

Last edited by Ivan Kminek; 16th June 2012 at 08:17 AM.
Ivan Kminek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2012, 09:16 AM   #924
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

At the McCrone conference in july, there will be a couple of presentations with some "paint" topic:

http://www.mcri.org/home/section/101...s-and-speakers
  • July 9: As Much Fun as Watching Paint Dry: A Microscopical Perspective of Airbrushed Paint Droplets (Martin Kocanda, Electrical Engineering, Northern Illinois University)
  • July 10: The Forensic Analysis of Paint Evidence Using Micro-Raman Spectroscopy Part I: Development of Libraries and Application Methods (Christopher S. Palenik, Jennifer Herb and Ethan Groves of Microtrace LLC and Patrick Buzzini, Forensic & Investigative Science Program)
  • The Forensic Analysis of Paint Evidence Using Micro-Raman Spectroscopy Part II: Case Examples (Patrick Buzzini, Christopher S. Palenik, Genevieve Massonnet, Universite de Lausanne)
  • July 11: Benefits of Using Cross-Sectioning in Forensic Analysis of Automotive Paints (Same Microtrace LLC folks)

Even if these focus on automotive paints (quite a different field!) perhaps they have some smart ideas on how to ID paints?

In particular, on how to search for and think about the elusive strontium chromate. Where did it go, how would one find it if present in trace amounts only?

Comparing with actual LaClede primer from WTC floor trusses would be great, but still, finding evidence for strontium chromate, as predicted, would be very strong, too.
Oystein is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2012, 07:26 PM   #925
Robrob
Philosopher

Slightly off the subject but what does it matter anyway. Even if every girder in the WTC was coated with a paper thin layer of pure thermite/thermate/nano-thermite/magic pixie dust - it still wouldn't have cut steel, blown up, etc... the WTC.
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2012, 06:31 PM   #926
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

Millette in July/Aug. 2012 Skeptical Inquirer

Holy Necrotic Thread Revival, Batman!

But, not all bad - it did serve to remind me to post my article from the July/August 2012 Skeptical Inquirer:

"New Info Challenges 9/11 Thermite Claims".

Cheers, Dave
DaveThomasNMSR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2012, 06:53 PM   #927
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DaveThomasNMSR View Post

But, not all bad - it did serve to remind me to post my article from the July/August 2012 Skeptical Inquirer:

Cheers, Dave
Thanks Dave - a concisely written professional paper.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2012, 07:05 PM   #928
cjnewson88
Graduate Poster

Very nice Dave
cjnewson88 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2012, 07:23 PM   #929
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Cheers, Dave
Thanks, Dave. I think it's a good recap. I see you didn't mention sintering as a possible generating source for the iron-rich spheres. Is it also a valid source process? I ask because Oystein raised the possibility.
Old 10th July 2012, 11:11 PM   #930
alienentity
Illuminator

Well done Dave. Concise and informative!
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2012, 11:20 PM   #931
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Hey Dave,

I'd have a few details to not-pick, but perhaps I shouldn't.
Only thing I am really not happy with is the mention of melting point depression. This happens in earnest for particles 50 nm in diameter or smaller, but Jones & Co. have spheres many times larger than that.

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Thanks, Dave. I think it's a good recap. I see you didn't mention sintering as a possible generating source for the iron-rich spheres. Is it also a valid source process? I ask because Oystein raised the possibility.
LSSBB,

First, sintering was brought up by Ivan, not me.

It's a process where molecules diffuse within, or on the surface of, solid particles, causing them to coalesce, and also to assume more roundish shapes. Spheres can be formed over time, but often that process is incomplete. We identified one particular sphere in the Bentham paper where we think sintering could have formed it. Dave however is probably wise not to include processes in his article that have merely been raised as a possibility here.
Oystein is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2012, 12:13 AM   #932
Ivan Kminek
Muse

Cheers, Dave
Thanks, Dave Perhaps there are several/many various processes which could contribute for a creation of iron or iron rich microspheres during fires, I mentioned sintering just as one of them.
Btw, about two weeks ago I found that perhaps hundreds of papers and documents are available on the structure of ash coming from biomass incinerators, fluidized bed combustion and similar, with working temperatures ca 800-1000 degrees C. Microspheres are frequently observed in the ashes, although they are not so abundant like in coal ashes from e.g. power plants.
I still think that many microspheres could be present in the WTC concrete, containing fly ash formed at high temperatures, therefore with mostly spherical particles. One repost of my older contribution from the "microsphere thread":

"A guote from here

...The contractor then grouted the socket from the bottom to a distance about 2 ft above rock with a mixture of high-early strength cement, water and fly ash. The required 3,000 psi concrete was usually obtained in 72 hours. The contractor could then stress the tendons." -- ENGINEERING NEWS RECORD, 31 October 1968."

I think that I have read somewhere that S. Jones (or other truther) did not find any such microspheres in the WTC concrete, but I am not sure. Anyway, only documented experiments could prove or disprove it. And apparently, if fly ash was present in WTC concrete, it could by a source of the most of microspheres (iron rich or others) in the dust.

Last edited by Ivan Kminek; 11th July 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11th July 2012, 04:13 AM   #933
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Sorry, Ivan, for not giving you credit properly.
Old 30th July 2012, 10:33 AM   #934
grandmastershek
Graduate Poster

Any updates on the publishing Chris?
Old 13th August 2012, 07:25 AM   #935
chrismohr
Master Poster

Dang! Here's my latest update on the publishing of the full dust study from Jim Millette. I sent him a Sunstealer analysis of the red-grey chips a-d and a link to the thread relating to this and Jim wrote,

Chris, thanks for the post. These data are consistent with our analysis. In addition to the SEM-EDS result consistent with kaolinite, we also confirmed kaolinite with FTIR and TEM-Electron Diffraction. I am afraid I have had to put the research on the back burner while I attend to other projects. Hopefully I will get back to it soon. Jim

Hopefully he can get back to it soon. If I had another thousand bucks I'd offer it to him to move things along but alas business is slow in this here recession...
WTC Dust study http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64959841/911...12webHiRes.pdf Hundreds more links and info both sides: http:www.chrismohr911.com
chrismohr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2012, 01:28 AM   #936
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Thanks for the update, Chris.
Old 28th August 2012, 12:06 AM   #937
Ivan Kminek
Muse

Hi, Chris: By regular googling, I have just found that Jim Millette presented another lecture on red-gray chips at Inter/Micro Conference (9-13th July, Chicago)

The title was “Thermite in the World Trade Center Dust?” Any more info?

Last edited by Ivan Kminek; 28th August 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 28th August 2012, 08:45 AM   #938
Kent1
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Hey Dave,

I'd have a few details to not-pick, but perhaps I shouldn't.
Only thing I am really not happy with is the mention of melting point depression. This happens in earnest for particles 50 nm in diameter or smaller, but Jones & Co. have spheres many times larger than that.

LSSBB,

First, sintering was brought up by Ivan, not me.

It's a process where molecules diffuse within, or on the surface of, solid particles, causing them to coalesce, and also to assume more roundish shapes. Spheres can be formed over time, but often that process is incomplete. We identified one particular sphere in the Bentham paper where we think sintering could have formed it. Dave however is probably wise not to include processes in his article that have merely been raised as a possibility here.
Did the conflict ever get resolved of melting point depression.
Some are claiming it happens at only 50 nm in diameter or smaller.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting-point_depression

Yet other evidence shows that fine grade steel wool and iron dust (at 430C) will melt.

A size chart provided here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_wool

See here for iron dust (at 430C)
http://msds.chemicalstore.com/viewpa...wder&CatID=140
Kent1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2012, 10:44 AM   #939
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kent1 View Post
Did the conflict ever get resolved of melting point depression.
Some are claiming it happens at only 50 nm in diameter or smaller.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting-point_depression

Yet other evidence shows that fine grade steel wool and iron dust (at 430C) will melt.

A size chart provided here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_wool

See here for iron dust (at 430C)
http://msds.chemicalstore.com/viewpa...wder&CatID=140
Urr no.

No your evidence shows fine iron dust will ignite from 430C up. Not melt. Second link has "Melting Point 1535C (2795F)" for iron powder.
Old 28th August 2012, 01:21 PM   #940
Kent1
Graduate Poster

Urr no.

No your evidence shows fine iron dust will ignite from 430C up. Not melt. Second link has "Melting Point 1535C (2795F)" for iron powder.
So nothing on the wool.

But on the dust, your right it does say ignite.
But even still what would the appearance be after it ignited. I suspect we would have the "melted metal spheres".
Like this maybe?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bang/handson/steel_wool.shtml

Last edited by Kent1; 28th August 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Kent1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2012, 02:25 AM   #941
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kent1 View Post
So nothing on the wool.

But on the dust, your right it does say ignite.
But even still what would the appearance be after it ignited. I suspect we would have the "melted metal spheres".
Like this maybe?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bang/handson/steel_wool.shtml
I am pretty sure these are not metal spheres, but metal oxide spheres.

What happens there is: As the iron atoms react with surface oxygen, the crystal lattice of the iron breaks down, and a new, different lattice of iron oxide forms; during the transition, at high temperature, the material gets the chance to minimize its surface area.
Old 30th August 2012, 09:41 AM   #942
Steen Svanholm
Scholar

I don't know if this has been brought up, but I'd like people to correct me if my assumptions are wrong:

1. We know that a thermitic reaction (reduction) produces aluminum oxide and elementary iron.
2. We know that burning steel wool (oxidation) produces iron oxide.

3. We know that Harrit et al. claimed that they found elementary iron in the residues from their heated samples, thus indicating a reduction process. What they did find was microspheres with more or less iron and oxygen and other things in them. They therefore used the phrase "iron rich". Outside his report, however, Harrit claims that the microspheres are elementary iron.

4. We know that there are many possible sources for iron rich microspheres at Ground Zero. Dave Thomas proved that by burning steel wool. However, his microspheres are not elementary iron microspheres but iron oxide microspheres. (Harrit's iron rich microspheres are most likely also iron oxide, although not pure.)

With this in mind, one thing is puzzling me: Imagine WTC 1, 2 and 7 was in fact brought down by nanothermite the way that the Truth Movement states. Then the thermitic process would have cut a large number steel beams.

BUT would that leave only microspheres of elementary iron?

If steel is melted - be it by fire or a thematic process - would it not leave iron oxide residues?

Or does the themitic process somehow turn not only the themitic powder (Al + iron oxide) into aluminum oxide and elementary iron but also the melted drops of steel from the beams into elementary iron?

In short: What would be left:
1. Elementary iron?
2. Iron oxide?
3. Both?

It seems to me that Harrit claims concludes "3" in his report but "1" outside his report.

What do you think, folks?
Steen Svanholm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2012, 10:02 AM   #943
Steen Svanholm
Scholar

Hm, actually, I confused myself a little bit here. Because Harrit focuses on the red/grey chips - "unreacted thermite" - and the residues of ONLY that. Whereas my example covers the whole dust sample including other than the red/grey chips.
Steen Svanholm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2012, 10:47 AM   #944
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Steen,

without replying to your post line by line, here is what you would expect if some thermite (of the Fe/Al kind; you could use other combinations of metals, but Fe and Al is what Harrit, Jones, Basile claim to have found) preparation were used to melt through structural steel:
  • About half of the thermite reaction product would be metallic, elemental iron - in the first step (see below)
  • About half of the thermite reaction product would be aluminium oxide, also called alumina
  • Both would mostly form slag, i.e. resolidified bulks, as you need to apply macroscopic amounts to the steel. Both are prone to separate, because iron is twice as heavy or dense as alumina. However if you imagine that the towers collapse after slag formation, you could imagine that it would be pulverized and dispersed, and if it is still hot, probably form little spheres over a large range of size.
  • The same is true for the molten steel: It would form slags of mostly elemental iron (with alloy partners mixed in), which might disperse to dust or spheres upon collapse.
  • As small and perhaps iron particles (spherical or otherwise) tumble around, they will quickly oxidize at their surfaces, so you would not find a lot of elemental iron in the dust.
  • Don't forget that you need to find as much alumina as iron.

It's a little different if you make ony small, microscopic probes of your thermite react. Then obviously, the products also come in microscopic sizes. In that case, I would think that whatever iron is produced by reducing iron oxide will quickly re-oxidize at least partially (superficially) under air.

So whether or not your reaction is a thermite reacion, you will find iron oxide, and may or may not find iron.

Better to look for alumina before (there shouldn't be lots) and after (there should be lots), for alumina is stable and will stay what it is even after long exposure to air.

Last edited by Oystein; 30th August 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 30th August 2012, 01:04 PM   #945
chrismohr
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ivan Kminek View Post
Hi, Chris: By regular googling, I have just found that Jim Millette presented another lecture on red-gray chips at Inter/Micro Conference (9-13th July, Chicago)

The title was “Thermite in the World Trade Center Dust?” Any more info?
Hi Ivan,
Jim Millette told me about his speech, and I got the impression it was very similar to the first one he gave months ago. However, he has some new leads on samples of materials like burned-up thermitic stuff (but not LaClede! darn!). He did say the report was well-received. No new data or findings appear to have been in that speech however.
WTC Dust study http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64959841/911...12webHiRes.pdf Hundreds more links and info both sides: http:www.chrismohr911.com
chrismohr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2012, 03:28 PM   #946
Steen Svanholm
Scholar

So whether or not your reaction is a thermite reacion, you will find iron oxide, and may or may not find iron.

Better to look for alumina before (there shouldn't be lots) and after (there should be lots), for alumina is stable and will stay what it is even after long exposure to air.
Thanks for clearing that up, Oystein.

1. So how would you distinguish between iron and iron oxide spectras? I mean, to me Harrits spectras look mostly like iron oxide with some other ingridients. But how would a spectra of elemental iron look like? Or at least a spectra that could reasonably count as signs of elemental iron?

2. Interesting facts about the alumina. I did not know that. Apparently Harrit either did not look for alumina in the dust samples or did not find any. But did Millette look for it in his dust samples?

One more thing. Have you noticed that on pg. 23 (fig. 24), Harrit compares residues of commercial thermite with residues of red/grey chips. The spectras look pretty much alike to me. Is that because the residues of thermite look like the residues of many things?
Old 30th August 2012, 09:33 PM   #947
Redwood
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Steen Svanholm View Post
With this in mind, one thing is puzzling me: Imagine WTC 1, 2 and 7 was in fact brought down by nanothermite the way that the Truth Movement states. Then the thermitic process would have cut a large number steel beams.
Small point, but the only time I know of where thermite was actually used to demolish a structure was for one tower of the Skyride at the Chicago Exposition of the 1930s. It seems to have been done as a stunt. They didn't cut the two steel columns; they built 4 large brick cupolas about the columns, filled them with 700 kg. of thermite, and melted them. It must have been a spectacular show; somewhere, there just has to be motion picture footage of it.
Redwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2012, 10:29 PM   #948
Ivan Kminek
Muse

1. So how would you distinguish between iron and iron oxide spectras? I mean, to me Harrits spectras look mostly like iron oxide with some other ingridients. But how would a spectra of elemental iron look like? Or at least a spectra that could reasonably count as signs of elemental iron?

2. Interesting facts about the alumina. I did not know that. Apparently Harrit either did not look for alumina in the dust samples or did not find any. But did Millette look for it in his dust samples?

One more thing. Have you noticed that on pg. 23 (fig. 24), Harrit compares residues of commercial thermite with residues of red/grey chips. The spectras look pretty much alike to me. Is that because the residues of thermite look like the residues of many things?
Hi, Steen, XEDS spectra of pure iron (or unoxidized steel) would simply show only peaks corresponding to iron, something like here:

We don't know if Jim Millette is looking for alumina in the dust.

And yes, we have noticed that XEDS of sphere after burning of commercial thermite looks like that of some residues of WTC chips. We wonder why there is so large peak of silicon in this burned thermite, did this thermite contain silicon stuffs? Harrit did not inform us. Anyway, these spectra look like spectra of many other things, e.g. fly ash microspheres rich in iron, like here:

Therefore, those two spectra in Harrit's paper you mentioned basically do not prove any specific material or reaction

Last edited by Ivan Kminek; 30th August 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:04 AM   #949
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

1. Relying on XEDS spectra alone is not a good way if you want to be sure. It is possible, with some inaccuracy, to translate the relative heights of the XEDS peaks to relative amounts of the various elements, and then you could compute if there is enough oxygen to oxidize all of the other elements. I have tried that with an XEDS simulation program earlier this year, and it seemed like in one or another of Harrit's spectra, the iron possibley wasn't fully oxidized. But hard to say if it's a mix of elemental iron and Fe2O3, or mostly FeO, or simply inaccuracy of data.
The right way to go about it would be to use additional methods that determine the chemical bindings, such as FTIR, PXRD, TEM.

2. Harrit e.al. didn't look for any specific chemical compounds in the paper, they only looked at elemental composition.
Millette did analyse the chemical compounds and found epoxy, iron oxide, al-silicate and titanium oxide, but no Al-oxide or elemental Al.

As for the spectrum of commercial thermite: That's fishy. Fig. 24 shows twice as much Si as Al. This can't be representative of the whole sample, or it is some ****** commercial thermite which the customer should complain about. However spectra like that, with lots of O, Al, Si and Fe, with some C, Na, Mg, K, Ca mixed in, are really totally abundant in all sorts of mineral dust, whether from building construction, industry or nature.
Old 31st August 2012, 07:15 AM   #950
Senenmut
Graduate Poster

Hi Ivan,
Jim Millette told me about his speech, and I got the impression it was very similar to the first one he gave months ago. However, he has some new leads on samples of materials like burned-up thermitic stuff (but not LaClede! darn!). He did say the report was well-received. No new data or findings appear to have been in that speech however.
burned up thermitic stuff such as the red gray chips???
Senenmut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2012, 08:09 AM   #951
Ivan Kminek
Muse

Hi Ivan,
? To be honest, I don't understand what you mean by "he has some new leads on samples of materials like burned-up thermitic stuff"
Old 3rd September 2012, 06:18 AM   #952
chrismohr
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ivan Kminek View Post
? To be honest, I don't understand what you mean by "he has some new leads on samples of materials like burned-up thermitic stuff"
To be honest, I don't remember exactly what he said he was possibly getting samples of, but I thought it was residues of what was left behind after thermite was ignited. Sorry I didn't remember or understand exactly what kind of sample he was possibly getting.
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:04 AM   #953
Ivan Kminek
Muse

To be honest, I don't remember exactly what he said he was possibly getting samples of, but I thought it was residues of what was left behind after thermite was ignited. Sorry I didn't remember or understand exactly what kind of sample he was possibly getting.
So, this Jim's task has nothing common with WTC samples, am I right?
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:41 AM   #954
grandmastershek
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Senenmut View Post
burned up thermitic stuff such as the red gray chips???
Yeah Sen, what a good idea. Test the alleged thermite chips, then test them against more of the same chips. Derp, derp, derp Stundied.

Last edited by grandmastershek; 3rd September 2012 at 07:46 AM.
grandmastershek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:06 AM   #955
Senenmut
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by grandmastershek View Post
Yeah Sen, what a good idea. Test the alleged thermite chips, then test them against more of the same chips. Derp, derp, derp Stundied.
well, i was hoping jones or basile were giving millette some of their samples.....
Senenmut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:47 AM   #956
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

well, i was hoping jones or basile were giving millette some of their samples.....
Hahaha

Chris Mohr tried to arrange that with Kevin Ryan.
It earned Chris a few lies and mean insults.
Jones, Harrit, Ryan know they are frauds. They know damned well that any good lab person will have no trouble exposing their dust as just dust, with a few paint chips. They will never release their samples.
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:51 AM   #957
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Having followed this saga for a few years I must admit your post made me laugh
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:45 AM   #958
pgimeno
Illuminator

Hahaha

Chris Mohr tried to arrange that with Kevin Ryan.
It earned Chris a few lies and mean insults.
For reference:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...10#post7889310

Jones, Harrit, Ryan know they are frauds. They know damned well that any good lab person will have no trouble exposing their dust as just dust, with a few paint chips. They will never release their samples.
Certainly. Nor will they release their FTIR/TEM data.
Old 11th September 2012, 11:12 AM   #959
Notinthemafia
New Blood

Just a thought and i have seen no one mention this, but iron oxide when heated in the presence of hydrogen and carbon monoxide will directly reduce the iron oxide into iron, is called Directly reduced or "sponge" iron. Heating the iron oxide in the DSC untill the epoxy burns provides both heat and carbon monoxide....

arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0803/0803.2831.pdf
just read the first 2 pages

According to this paper either of the two gasses can be used alone. This can happen with carbon monoxide alone at tempratures under 570C.

In the origional Jones flame test with the OXY/ace torch it's obvious a reducing flame was used. This type of flame is fuel rich and can reduce oxides to metal. A neutral flame should have been used (so to not chemically alter the material heated). That test was just caried out to achieve a desired result. Taking an oxy torch with a line pressure of 3psi or more to a half millimeter chip of anything is just gonna burn and melt it and blow away the ashes. An oxy/ace torch can melt pretty much anything you put in its flame.

"Iron rich" microspheres could be formed just by having the fule rich smokey fire heat some rusted beams.

The spong iron can ignite BTW just like fine steel wool. Im sure you all have seen the youtube vid. Steel wool plus bic lighter = iron rich microspheres...
Notinthemafia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 05:27 PM   #960
chrismohr
Master Poster

Dust Study May yet Be Published!!

Hi gang,

I just talked with Jim Millette today. After being overwhelmed with work for several months, he has now hired more help. He says that he is lining things up to complete his WTC dust study and publish the results. He's hoping to have his work situation in better control early next year so he can get back to this study, which he remains very interested in completing.

he also is interested in WTC dust samples, and more importantly, LaClede and other primer paint samples. He himself had someone scratch off a bit of paint from a traveling 911 memorial exhibit when it went through Atlanta but hasn't yet studied the flakes that were collected! he was most interested in other paint chip sources from known WTC beams and columns...

Anyway I say let's start lining these samples up. He is most interested in primary research on actual samples. Wow this may yet be completed!!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories