ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 12th September 2018, 03:27 PM   #2321
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
"The coverup is always worse than the crime,"

"And this one is very shady. We have a sitting president who will undoubtedly be impeached.”

Watergate lawyer Andrew Hall (Sept 10, 2018)
It is amazing how often it's the cover up that gets you, not the original offense.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 03:35 PM   #2322
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
I bought all the Sherlock Holmes stores from a used book store for $4 to keep me occupied in case I lose power due to Hurricane Florence.

I am flat broke, unemployed, and will just have to wait to read Fear.
Keep your head down and feet dry.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 03:37 PM   #2323
Bob001
Philosopher

Trump didn't want Braille in his elevators: "No blind people are going to live in Trump Tower."
http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/n...911-story.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.661c3fe59c4e
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 03:47 PM   #2324
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Trump didn't want Braille in his elevators: "No blind people are going to live in Trump Tower."

Not even wealthy white ones?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 03:57 PM   #2325
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Someone tell Matt Murdoch....

Stay classy, Donnie, Stay Classy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:13 PM   #2326
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump didn't want Braille on the elevator control panel? Now that's some real empathy there, Donnie!

Trump doesn't like blind people. He likes people who can see. Blind people should have done something about their eyesight. SAD! LOSERS!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:25 PM   #2327
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
That is my impression as well, after reading the first 60 or so pages last night.
Ill read more tonight after I get home from work. I hope it gets more interesting.
The Economist once had an article about a pervasive problem in nonfiction. It's that to snag you, the really good stuff has to go at the beginning of the book. I've found when reading nonfiction that the first chapter is great, but I feel so knowledgeable at the end of the chapter that my enthusiasm falls off. Probably 50 good pages would be enough for me. After that comes a lot of supporting detail, more than I usually want.

I am not saying this is true of Woodward's book.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:26 PM   #2328
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump didn't want Braille on the elevator control panel? Now that's some real empathy there, Donnie!

Trump doesn't like blind people. He likes people who can see. Blind people should have done something about their eyesight. SAD! LOSERS!
An attitude that tempts fate, given his fondness for staring directly into solar eclipses!
Old 12th September 2018, 04:27 PM   #2329
Minoosh
Philosopher

Well, wouldn't it work to have just embossed numbers? Or raised up, whatever the word that is? 1, 2, 3 ... etc. etc.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:51 PM   #2330
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Well, wouldn't it work to have just embossed numbers? Or raised up, whatever the word that is? 1, 2, 3 ... etc. etc.
They'd rub off the gold leaf. Unacceptable.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 05:04 PM   #2331
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus, tity ******* Christ. Where was this attack ad? There's so much of Trump's political blood and so many of his political teeth still left in his body and mouth. Why wasn't some of it left on the floor in the last election? How the hell do you not run an attack ad about The Russian whore trying to **** over the blind?

Why don't I see this ad now? Run stuff like this and you make Republicans stutter step. They can't get too close to Trump but they can't alienate the products of incest who went to his rallies. Please for the love of the FSM, let a Dem super PAC run this in October.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 05:05 PM   #2332
Stacyhs
Philosopher

And it would have been the most TREMENDOUS raised numbering EVER in the entire history of raised numbering! The MOST BIGLY numbers ever. A lot of people don't know that.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 05:26 PM   #2333
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I really enjoyed watching The Russian Whore talking about his success in Puerto Rico. You could tell he was suffering over criticism of his handling of the disaster there. It's always funny to see Trump suffering. His pain is just apparent to the world and always so amusing.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 05:35 PM   #2334
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I really enjoyed watching The Russian Whore talking about his success in Puerto Rico. You could tell he was suffering over criticism of his handling of the disaster there. It's always funny to see Trump suffering. His pain is just apparent to the world and always so amusing.
Every time he spews how great he is (blather, rinse, repeat), I have to mentally check if it's over something he just got caught out over.
It usually is.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 05:36 PM   #2335
Minoosh
Philosopher

How the hell do you not run an attack ad about The Russian whore trying to **** over the blind?
I don't disagree with your spirit, but it happened 35 years ago. It was so shocking that someone reveals it now?

It seems to me Hillary Clinton ran several ads listing various Trump actions and words. Just a laundry lists of all his gaffes, inanities and petty cruelties. And it didn't work. Just listing Trump's record and his words didn't work. Sometimes this stuff can even backfire (as in, "they have to go back 35 years to find something bad to say). And he probably wasn't even a Republican at the time. IMO, it's kind of off message.
Old 12th September 2018, 06:00 PM   #2336
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Jesus, tity ******* Christ. Where was this attack ad? There's so much of Trump's political blood and so many of his political teeth still left in his body and mouth. Why wasn't some of it left on the floor in the last election? How the hell do you not run an attack ad about The Russian whore trying to **** over the blind?
Why don't I see this ad now? Run stuff like this and you make Republicans stutter step. They can't get too close to Trump but they can't alienate the products of incest who went to his rallies. Please for the love of the FSM, let a Dem super PAC run this in October.
Do you really think it would have mattered one iota to those who voted for him? He showed us very well who and what he is during the campaign. It didn't matter to them then and doesn't matter to them now.
Old 12th September 2018, 06:25 PM   #2337
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Do you really think it would have mattered one iota to those who voted for him? He showed us very well who and what he is during the campaign. It didn't matter to them then and doesn't matter to them now.
We'll never know, just like we'll never know what would have happened if Trump hadn't sold out the country to the Russians. It might not have mattered to people who voted for him but it might have kept a few straight ticket Republican voters at home. Trump won key states by slim margins. This ad wouldn't have kept Clinton voters away (especially if it had been a super PAC ad) and it might have kept die hard Republicans uneasy about Trump away from the polls.

We'll never know because no one took him seriously enough to run the ad. Who cares if it was 35 year ago? Run the ad.
Old 12th September 2018, 06:32 PM   #2338
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Florence is going to be the biggest and worstest hurricane of all time. Because for Trump, everything has to be bigger.
Old 12th September 2018, 06:34 PM   #2339
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

For Eric Trump, a simple question:

Quote:
Eric Trump said this morning that Bob Woodward made "three extra shekels at the behest of the American people" with his book.

Is Eric too stupid to know he's being anti-Semitic?

yes
no
not mutually exclusive
Linky.
Old 12th September 2018, 06:51 PM   #2340
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post

Linky.
It doesn't matter. Just run the ad calling him anti Semitic and it will keep a few Jews in Florida home who were against the Iran Nuclear Deal. That might keep a Trump sycophant (Rick Scott) out of the Senate. You only have to be right until the first Wednesday in November. Besides, it's not like there are questions of honor with Trump. Anything that hurts Trump is moral and it's unpatriotic to have the ability to hurt Trump politically and not do it.
Old 12th September 2018, 07:04 PM   #2341
sts60
Master Poster

Linky.
He’s really stupid, but somehow he came across the word “shekel” as a little dog whistle for his post; probably somebody helped him.

He’s certainly stupid enough to not know what “behest” means. He just said that America asked Woodward to write the book.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 07:10 PM   #2342
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

The Economist once had an article about a pervasive problem in nonfiction. It's that to snag you, the really good stuff has to go at the beginning of the book. I've found when reading nonfiction that the first chapter is great, but I feel so knowledgeable at the end of the chapter that my enthusiasm falls off. Probably 50 good pages would be enough for me. After that comes a lot of supporting detail, more than I usually want.

Well, he did put the bit about the letter ending the South Korean free trade deal up front, but other than that, he's been mostly telling the story chronologically.

But there's a few points so far where I've thought, "There's no way you could know that, unless you've just outed one of your "deep background" sources". He makes a point early on that almost all of the interviews he based the book on were off the record deep background discussions, but then he writes things like "X thought that.....", which he could only really write if X was one of his sources. How could he know what someone was thinking at any given point, unless the person in question told him that? That's either sloppy writing, or he's screwing his sources.

Linky.

As I said on Facebook, where does a member of the Trump family get off calling someone else a moneygrubber?
Old 12th September 2018, 07:42 PM   #2343
Tero
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Florence is going to be the biggest and worstest hurricane of all time. Because for Trump, everything has to be bigger.
I can see it now.
Trump: I hire the best hurricanes!
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 07:45 PM   #2344
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
It's weird how you seem to forget who Cain is between posts.
Who is Cain between posts?

Mods:Asking so I can better understand his posts.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 07:49 PM   #2345
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
“They say, ‘Maxine, please don’t say impeachment anymore.'

“And when they say that, I say ‘impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment, impeachment.’

"All I can think about is I’m going to get him."

-- Maxine Waters (Sept 8, 2018)
And?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 07:58 PM   #2346
Bob001
Philosopher

Trump was the hero of 9/11 -- not!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.3395f1b8d5ab
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 08:03 PM   #2347
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
I bought all the Sherlock Holmes stores from a used book store for $4 to keep me occupied in case I lose power due to Hurricane Florence.

I am flat broke, unemployed, and will just have to wait to read Fear.
See if you can borrow it from the local library. Mine carries both ebooks and paper ones.
Old 12th September 2018, 08:05 PM   #2348
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

"I had to deal with the biggest hurricane in xx years. It was tremendously big, tremendously wet. The previous administration never had to deal with a hurricane this big. Crooked Hillary wouldn't know what to do. Only I could have done it this good."

(a prediction, not a quote)
Old 12th September 2018, 08:35 PM   #2349
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

While I am still quite thoroughly unconvinced that Trump is doing that because he cares, I applaud the actual action. On the other hand, it's likely worth noting that sanctions were already legislated into being for those very reasons, and Trump had been strongly resisting actually implementing them, so this is fairly certainly yet another pile of nothing.
Old 12th September 2018, 08:51 PM   #2350
Cain
Straussian

People have been saying as much for years when viral articles later get turned into books. The article was enough.
Old 12th September 2018, 09:52 PM   #2351
Aridas

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post

Rather reasonable. Cain likes to poe, though.
Old 12th September 2018, 11:30 PM   #2352
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Rather reasonable. Cain likes to poe, though.
Yep. I got poed by him my first day here.
Old 13th September 2018, 12:07 AM   #2353
carlosy
Thinker

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
"I had to deal with the biggest hurricane in xx years. It was tremendously big, tremendously wet. The previous administration never had to deal with a hurricane this big. Crooked Hillary wouldn't know what to do. Only I could have done it this good."

(a prediction, not a quote)
Why it was so big? I don't know. Some say it's Obama's fault. He could have taken care of those hurricanes before. We have to show strength. Maybe I am going to nuke the next one. We'll see.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 02:10 AM   #2354
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post

Certainly that wasn't my clearest statement ever.

What i meant was that Cain has been on here for ages and almost always makes satirical posts. Dudalb often reacts to them at face value as if he's forgotten the general nature of Cain's posts.

The phrase "you've been Cained" should only apply to you once.
Old 13th September 2018, 02:18 AM   #2355
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Editors of Very Fake News WaPo blaming Trump for Hurricane Florence. They have no shame.
Lügenpresse!
Old 13th September 2018, 02:31 AM   #2356
Aridas

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Certainly that wasn't my clearest statement ever.

What i meant was that Cain has been on here for ages and almost always makes satirical posts. Dudalb often reacts to them at face value as if he's forgotten the general nature of Cain's posts.

The phrase "you've been Cained" should only apply to you once.
Ehh... not if you only see the poes. Then it's entirely reasonable to get Cained repeatedly, really. Of course, first time I got told "It's Cain, don't worry about it," given the lack of context to work with, I figured that Cain was just unreasonable and that I may as well move on.
Old 13th September 2018, 03:12 AM   #2357
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Someone tell Matt Murdoch....

Stay classy, Donnie, Stay Classy.
His hatred of the disabled and refusal to abide by the ADA is well known and something republicans like about him. Stick it to the liberals!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 03:16 AM   #2358
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Trump was the hero of 9/11 -- not!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.3395f1b8d5ab
It made his building bigger in comparison, as he noted that day, what is not to like about that? Makes sense why he views it as a day to celebrate.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 04:37 AM   #2359
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Despite promising that he would solve immigration problems by building a wall and having Mexico pay for it, Trump is now planning to pay Mexico $20m to deport immigrants
Old 13th September 2018, 04:44 AM   #2360
Belz...
Fiend God

Master of deals.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics