ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags murder cases , Oscar Pistorius , South Africa cases

Reply
Old 17th April 2018, 05:49 AM   #921
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,048
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I tell you what, Samson. Rather than go around and around in circles with you on this, let's discuss it when Pistorius is released. Just as I'll discuss Bamber when he has died.
Bamber will be out soon, but there is a thread for that.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 12:24 PM   #922
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,539
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I don't see this as murder, but we are going in circles sadly.
Yes, and like all good skeptics when wrong, you're not even entertaining the idea that you're wrong.

The thread has been going in circles for thousands of posts.

Why stop now?
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 04:32 PM   #923
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,632
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Oh Christ. The hero worshipping judge (like you) who was proven wrong.

Accept it, you hero is a scumbag murderer. He knew what he was doing, murdering Reeva, and is finally paying the price.

Well (to continue the magic circle once again....) Pistorius was not specifically convicted of the murder of Reeva Steenkamp. And that's the critical point underpinning why Samson is wrong on this issue.

Rather, Pistorius was convicted of the murder of someone he knew to be a human being - that is to say, he intentionally fired a lethal weapon through a thin wooden internal door in the direction of someone he believed to be a human being, in an act which he must have known could have resulted in the death or very serious injury of that person, at a point where he provably was not in real or imminent threat of personal harm from the person behind that door. Whether he believed it was Steenkamp or the mythical intruder behind that door, we will never know (unless Pistorius ever confesses to knowing it was Steenkamp, of course), though logic and all the available evidence/testimony very strongly suggests (IMO) that Pistorius knew full well it was Steenkamp. But in fact the identity of the victim is immaterial to the murder conviction.

Here in the UK, there was a famous case several years ago in Liverpool where a gang member cycled to a pub car park, and opened fire in the direction of a rival gang member on the other side of the car park. He was a bad shot and he missed his intended target, but instead he struck and killed an 11-year-old boy bystander. The gunman was subsequently found and convicted of murder: in this instance, he hadn't even intended to harm the boy, but the court correctly found for murder on the basis that the very act of intentionally firing a lethal weapon in the (by definition) general direction of a human being constitutes murder if you happen to hit and kill someone. And while SA and E&W laws will obviously differ, SA statute and case law is heavily based on that of E&W, so this is a relevant comparator.

Last edited by LondonJohn; 18th April 2018 at 04:33 PM.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 05:32 PM   #924
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator
 
Ampulla of Vater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North of the White Line of Toldt
Posts: 3,044
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
This is the forum where we should be nuanced, of course it was either murder (he knew damn well Reeva was behind the door), or some other form of homicide. And everyone forgets that four shots could not be sure to kill, tragically there was one bullet that shattered her head.


Wait, what? Is your point here that 4 bullets could not be “sure to kill” and because of that and because of a tragic happenstance that one of the bullets “shattered her head,” is some kind of proof of a lack of intent to kill?
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 05:39 PM   #925
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem
 
Metullus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,049
Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
[/hilite]
Wait, what? Is your point here that 4 bullets could not be “sure to kill” and because of that and because of a tragic happenstance that one of the bullets “shattered her head,” is some kind of proof of a lack of intent to kill?
Her killing was just an unfortunate accident. He should ave been charged with "discharging a firearm in a careless manner". Or something...
__________________
I have met Tim at TAM. He is of sufficient height to piss on your leg. - Doubt 10/7/2005 - I'll miss Tim.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 09:51 PM   #926
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,230
Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
[/hilite]
Wait, what? Is your point here that 4 bullets could not be “sure to kill” and because of that and because of a tragic happenstance that one of the bullets “shattered her head,” is some kind of proof of a lack of intent to kill?
Now you've got it. A fish dying while someone is shooting fish in a barrel is simply a tragic accident.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 10:45 PM   #927
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,805
Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
.......Wait, what? Is your point here that 4 bullets could not be “sure to kill” and because of that and because of a tragic happenstance that one of the bullets “shattered her head,” is some kind of proof of a lack of intent to kill?
Samson forgets that an intent to kill isn't a necessary part of an act of murder, as LondonJohn has just explained (again). We're right, you're wrong, Samson, and that's even when we accept the points you raise in favour of your belief.
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 03:45 PM   #928
Whip
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,223
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls05318164...f_=vi_prev_btn

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5556152...m_hp_cap_pri_3
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:33 PM   #929
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,048
Is this new information?

................. " The documentary reveals for the first time that a mysterious picture message was sent to Pistorius' phone shortly before the murder which may have sparked a fierce row between him and Reeva.

Previously, it was thought that Pistorius had reacted in a jealous rage to a message on Reeva's phone but the series suggests it may have been the other way around.

Phone records obtained by the production crew show that he received a message at 1.48am on the morning of February 14, 2013 – just 10 minutes neighbours said they heard shouting come from Pistorius' home.

His mobile was later sent off for analysis by police and found to have been connected to a computer owned by Pistorius' brother, Carl.

Recalling how police suspected Carl had wiped the phone clean, journalist Toby Shapshak tells the documentary: "When the phone comes back eventually and the information on the phone is accessed it shows that the phone has been plugged into a computer called 'titaniumhulk', which is the Twitter handle of his brother Carl.

"Now if we look at the data usage of his phone at that time, in the middle of all this there is a very suspicious amount of data and it is at 1.48am in the morning that the duration of the data connection is 309 seconds, which is 5minutes an 15 seconds and it amounts to 58kb.

"If that was one individual message it would probably be a photograph or a WhatsApp message.

"The interesting thing about this is that it's about 10 minutes before one of his neighbour's says she hears a lot of arguing."

Author Melinda Ferguson, who has written a biography on Pistorius, tells the documentary: "Most people think 'Oh Reeva was so beautiful, I'm sure Oscar was so jealous of Reeva and she must have been cheating". But what happens if it was the other way round?

"What happens if it was Oscar who was cheating? And it was Reeva who was insecure and jealous, feeling like her relationship was falling apart?

"So for me it's really interesting to think of it the other way, that it was Reeva who was trying to see what messages were being sent to Oscar's phone.".......


https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/new...ectid=12124272

This looks like hard data that may have woken Oscar, thus he gets up and moves the fan. This wakes Reeva who slips silently to the bathroom.

On the other hand the screaming can still be timed to come after the gunshots, which is the only plausible way Oscar's story is true.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:03 PM   #930
Pacal
Graduate Poster
 
Pacal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
DF, did you consider that Masipa might have more brains than a jury of nitwits and morons that we see ignoring all science in ruminations, juries that are bereft of independent gods eye views of cases. God help Pistorius if a jury were let loose on this case, where it is beyond any doubt he thought he was shooting an intruder.

I can't believe the bloodthirst of the haters here. The poor fool is a victim!!!
Yes I know this is more than two years too late, but I just noticed this piece of idiocy.

The comment "God help Pistorius if a jury were let loose on this case, where it is beyond any doubt he thought he was shooting an intruder". Well if that is what Pistorius really thought then given the circumstances, (The "intruder" being in the Bathroom behind a closed door.), then Pistorius is guilty as sin.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 05:10 AM   #931
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,048
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Yes I know this is more than two years too late, but I just noticed this piece of idiocy.

The comment "God help Pistorius if a jury were let loose on this case, where it is beyond any doubt he thought he was shooting an intruder". Well if that is what Pistorius really thought then given the circumstances, (The "intruder" being in the Bathroom behind a closed door.), then Pistorius is guilty as sin.
Except it was a bad angle for intent to kill, and nearly failed.
Just a matter of thinking like a handicapped guy stupid enough to be a gun nut.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 05:25 AM   #932
rockinkt
Graduate Poster
 
rockinkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,220
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Except it was a bad angle for intent to kill, and nearly failed.
Just a matter of thinking like a handicapped guy stupid enough to be a gun nut.
So if there was "no intent to kill" why would he shoot a gun into a bathroom when he thought there was someone in it? In other words - what did he state was the desired outcome he wanted when he shot into the bathroom?
__________________
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." Steve Earle

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 05:30 AM   #933
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,048
Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
So if there was "no intent to kill" why would he shoot a gun into a bathroom when he thought there was someone in it? In other words - what did he state was the desired outcome he wanted when he shot into the bathroom?
He was prepared for the worst in a country of badly treated and dangerous predators.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 06:16 AM   #934
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 20,023
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
He was prepared for the worst in a country of badly treated and dangerous predators.
And murdered someone.
__________________
'The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.' - Richard Feynman
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:57 AM   #935
Pacal
Graduate Poster
 
Pacal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post

Yes I know this is more than two years too late, but I just noticed this piece of idiocy.

The comment "God help Pistorius if a jury were let loose on this case, where it is beyond any doubt he thought he was shooting an intruder". Well if that is what Pistorius really thought then given the circumstances, (The "intruder" being in the Bathroom behind a closed door.), then Pistorius is guilty as sin.
Except it was a bad angle for intent to kill, and nearly failed.
Just a matter of thinking like a handicapped guy stupid enough to be a gun nut.
Thanks for the red herring. Who was talking about "intent to kill"? That is irrelevant to my point. The point is he was shooting into a bathroom with a door closed at a person he knew was inside. A person who at the time was no threat to him. (This is assuming you accept his version of what happened.) After all the person was in a bathroom behind a closed door. That shows reckless disregard. After all it is reasonably foreseeable that if you fire a gun into a closed room that you know is occupied by someone that you may kill or seriously injure them. "Intent to kill" is not required to convict someone in these circumstances. So even if this idiot's version of events is correct; his own version of events makes him guilty has sin. And again "intent to kill" is irrelevant to his guilt under the circumstances.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:34 PM   #936
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,048
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Thanks for the red herring. Who was talking about "intent to kill"? That is irrelevant to my point. The point is he was shooting into a bathroom with a door closed at a person he knew was inside. A person who at the time was no threat to him. (This is assuming you accept his version of what happened.) After all the person was in a bathroom behind a closed door. That shows reckless disregard. After all it is reasonably foreseeable that if you fire a gun into a closed room that you know is occupied by someone that you may kill or seriously injure them. "Intent to kill" is not required to convict someone in these circumstances. So even if this idiot's version of events is correct; his own version of events makes him guilty has sin. And again "intent to kill" is irrelevant to his guilt under the circumstances.
We have been over this, its a bit like Shrodinger's cat.
If the door was open then I accept intent to kill, with the door closed and a panic situation intent is arguable. I am naturally disposed to a mitigating view of crime, and I am not confident I would not make such an error, except for the simple fact I don't have a gun or any interest in them. We are fortunate in New Zealand that way.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:45 PM   #937
Whip
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
We have been over this, its a bit like Shrodinger's cat.
If the door was open then I accept intent to kill, with the door closed and a panic situation intent is arguable. I am naturally disposed to a mitigating view of crime, and I am not confident I would not make such an error, except for the simple fact I don't have a gun or any interest in them. We are fortunate in New Zealand that way.
except the law also applies to Schrodinger's cat. why do you keep ignoring the law the way it is written?
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 03:57 PM   #938
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,539
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I am naturally disposed to a mitigating view of crime...
It shows.

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
We are fortunate in New Zealand that way.
I wouldn't count those chooks too soon.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12199960
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:11 PM   #939
Pacal
Graduate Poster
 
Pacal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
We have been over this, its a bit like Shrodinger's cat.
If the door was open then I accept intent to kill, with the door closed and a panic situation intent is arguable. I am naturally disposed to a mitigating view of crime, and I am not confident I would not make such an error, except for the simple fact I don't have a gun or any interest in them. We are fortunate in New Zealand that way.
Again "intent to kill" is irrelevant in this situation.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:21 PM   #940
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,869
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
We have been over this, its a bit like Shrodinger's cat.
If the door was open then I accept intent to kill, with the door closed and a panic situation intent is arguable. I am naturally disposed to a mitigating view of crime, and I am not confident I would not make such an error, except for the simple fact I don't have a gun or any interest in them. We are fortunate in New Zealand that way.
Samson, respectfully, you are being obtuse. What you would, or would not do in a situation is not evidence in this case, and seems to be obfuscated by your cries of non-guilt.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:28 PM   #941
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 43,010
In any case, Oscar got off lightly.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 01:34 AM   #942
rockinkt
Graduate Poster
 
rockinkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,220
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
He was prepared for the worst in a country of badly treated and dangerous predators.
I find that answer hard to take seriously and it truly adds nothing in the way of useful information.
Could you please be specific? What was his stated reason for shooting into the bathroom four times?
__________________
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." Steve Earle

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 01:52 AM   #943
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,805
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
.......why do you keep ignoring the law the way it is written?
Because it is out of kilter with his sympathies. Obviously, in Samsonworld, sympathies outweigh the rule of law.
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 02:39 AM   #944
Hard Cheese
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 443
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Thanks for the red herring. Who was talking about "intent to kill"? That is irrelevant to my point. The point is he was shooting into a bathroom with a door closed at a person he knew was inside. A person who at the time was no threat to him. (This is assuming you accept his version of what happened.) After all the person was in a bathroom behind a closed door. That shows reckless disregard. After all it is reasonably foreseeable that if you fire a gun into a closed room that you know is occupied by someone that you may kill or seriously injure them.
Playing devil's advocate here (because personally I don't believe Pistorious' story for a second) how does he know the person inside is of no threat to him? If you accept that Pistorious has a working knowledge of guns, and that he must have known that firing though a door into toilet cubicle would likely kill the occupant, isn't the opposite also true? If he believed the intruder in the cubicle was armed, then he would also know that the intruder could equally shoot through the door and hit him. You could still make an argument for self defence.
Hard Cheese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 03:09 AM   #945
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,048
Originally Posted by Hard Cheese View Post
Playing devil's advocate here (because personally I don't believe Pistorious' story for a second) how does he know the person inside is of no threat to him? If you accept that Pistorious has a working knowledge of guns, and that he must have known that firing though a door into toilet cubicle would likely kill the occupant, isn't the opposite also true? If he believed the intruder in the cubicle was armed, then he would also know that the intruder could equally shoot through the door and hit him. You could still make an argument for self defence.
There is considerable evidence that Pistorius' account is correct.
The primary source is the extensive and realistic timelines and conversations logged by the various authorities that concur with his account.
The forum owner Icerat was a seriouis analyst who concluded Pistorius' account is correct, and then an Amanda Knox guilter, Thoughtful went into serious detail saying the same thing. Interestingly she proved in that case the postal police and Raffaele Sollecito were in accord with their evidence, so she is a fair and serious mathematician.
And the trial judge Thokozile Masipa concurred.

I think there is indeed a thread concensus that the question is whether Oscar should have shot at a closed door, but not that he believed his girlfriend, who came bearing a valentine card saying "this is the night I declare my love for you" was the person he knew was behind that door.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 03:16 AM   #946
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,805
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
There is considerable evidence that Pistorius' account is correct..........
..........and for the thousandth time, even if his story is 100% correct (which I too accept as likely), then he is guilty of murder.
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 06:06 PM   #947
Pacal
Graduate Poster
 
Pacal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by Hard Cheese View Post
Playing devil's advocate here (because personally I don't believe Pistorious' story for a second) how does he know the person inside is of no threat to him? If you accept that Pistorious has a working knowledge of guns, and that he must have known that firing though a door into toilet cubicle would likely kill the occupant, isn't the opposite also true? If he believed the intruder in the cubicle was armed, then he would also know that the intruder could equally shoot through the door and hit him. You could still make an argument for self defence.
There is no evidence that any intruder shot at him, neither is there evidence that he realistically could have thought the person was armed. Further self defence means precisely that. There is no evidence that he could realistically have thought the person was trying to kill him, assault him. After all the person was in the bathroom with a door closed! Since there was no way, from his own story, that he could have thought the person could realistically have been armed, and since even his own version of the story indicates no reasonable basis for him thinking he was about to be assaulted or being the victim of a murder; self defence won't wash. Fantasizing the person has a gun won't get someone off in that situation. I hope.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 11:56 PM   #948
Hard Cheese
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 443
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
There is no evidence that any intruder shot at him, neither is there evidence that he realistically could have thought the person was armed.
Had the event occurred in the United States, given the rate of gun ownership and incidence of gun violence, would you be willing to bet an intruder was in your house unarmed? South Africa's homicide rate involving guns is 5 times higher per capita than the USA, wouldn't it simply be statistically prudent to assume an intruder is armed? Why on earth would you automatically assume they were unarmed? There must be a reason people live behind high walls and razor wire there, it can't be for aesthetics.

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Further self defence means precisely that. There is no evidence that he could realistically have thought the person was trying to kill him, assault him. After all the person was in the bathroom with a door closed!
As I said, if Oscar can shoot through a door, so can an intruder. Neither party would have knowledge of whether the other was armed or not.

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Since there was no way, from his own story, that he could have thought the person could realistically have been armed,
What exactly in his story prevents his intruder from being armed?

Last edited by Hard Cheese; 4th February 2019 at 11:57 PM.
Hard Cheese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 12:58 AM   #949
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,805
Originally Posted by Hard Cheese View Post
Had the event occurred in the United States, given the rate of gun ownership and incidence of gun violence, would you be willing to bet an intruder was in your house unarmed? South Africa's homicide rate involving guns is 5 times higher per capita than the USA, wouldn't it simply be statistically prudent to assume an intruder is armed? Why on earth would you automatically assume they were unarmed? There must be a reason people live behind high walls and razor wire there, it can't be for aesthetics.



As I said, if Oscar can shoot through a door, so can an intruder. Neither party would have knowledge of whether the other was armed or not.



What exactly in his story prevents his intruder from being armed?
This is just misinformed nonsense. If there had been an intruder, and if that intruder was armed, this would still have been murder. You are falling into the classic trap of trying to apply your country's laws to another country. Noting your country of residence, I'm wondering if you being here making the same spurious arguments as Samson, also a Kiwi, is entirely coincidental.
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 5th February 2019 at 01:00 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 03:03 AM   #950
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 43,010
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
This is just misinformed nonsense. If there had been an intruder, and if that intruder was armed, this would still have been murder. You are falling into the classic trap of trying to apply your country's laws to another country. Noting your country of residence, I'm wondering if you being here making the same spurious arguments as Samson, also a Kiwi, is entirely coincidental.
Yes utter nonsense. I wonder how much fanboism is playing a part. I’m certain that is the case with Samson, who seems transfixed with Oscar’s athletic ability.

My opinion is that he deliberately murdered his wife in a fit of rage. Doesn’t matter what I think though. He’s where he deserves to be
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:51 AM   #951
Hard Cheese
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 443
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
This is just misinformed nonsense. If there had been an intruder, and if that intruder was armed, this would still have been murder.
Oh, I fully understand that. That he is guilty of murder under South African law doesn't make Pistorius' argument of mitigation, of acting in self-defence, necessarily untrue. It's not an unreasonable argument, and his best bet to escape with a light sentence. He would have got away with it too, if it weren't for that meddling Nel.

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Noting your country of residence, I'm wondering if you being here making the same spurious arguments as Samson, also a Kiwi, is entirely coincidental.
Come on, man. Go back and read the first half of the first sentence of post #944. Do I have to repost it for you?
Hard Cheese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:59 AM   #952
Hard Cheese
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 443
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
My opinion is that he deliberately murdered his wife in a fit of rage. Doesn’t matter what I think though. He’s where he deserves to be
I agree with you. As I posted in #944, personally I don't believe Pistorious' story for a second. Not because I think that a person couldn't be in a state of panic and fear to the point where they thought that shooting into a locked door at an intruder was a good idea, but because his story about believing Reeva was in the bed was a load of bollocks.
Hard Cheese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 06:30 AM   #953
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,805
Originally Posted by Hard Cheese View Post
.........Come on, man. Go back and read the first half of the first sentence of post #944. Do I have to repost it for you?
Well, let me just say that I'll keep a watching brief. Some people come here and pretend to be playing devil's advocate as some sort of safety net against posting an unpopular or hard-to-defend viewpoint.
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 09:00 AM   #954
Pacal
Graduate Poster
 
Pacal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by Hard Cheese View Post
Had the event occurred in the United States, given the rate of gun ownership and incidence of gun violence, would you be willing to bet an intruder was in your house unarmed? South Africa's homicide rate involving guns is 5 times higher per capita than the USA, wouldn't it simply be statistically prudent to assume an intruder is armed? Why on earth would you automatically assume they were unarmed? There must be a reason people live behind high walls and razor wire there, it can't be for aesthetics.
Sorry but you can't just fantasize that a person was armed if your claiming self defence against an attacker. And further even if the person was armed self defence involves that the person was a direct and immediate threat to your life like they fired at you first or shoved a gun in your face, or threatened to kill you etc. Simply having a gun is not a an immediate threat to your life. Your argument would turn case after case of death by reckless disregard of people's lives into "self defence" because people will fantasize the person was armed.

Quote:
As I said, if Oscar can shoot through a door, so can an intruder. Neither party would have knowledge of whether the other was armed or not.
Of course are you seriously willing to argue if the mythical intruder had in fact been armed he would have been acting in "self defence" if he shot Oscar through the door after all Oscar might have been armed?! The point is even if the person had been armed he would not have been an immediate direct threat to Oscar and therefore by firing through the door Oscar was not acting in "self defence" by any legal logic, he was acting in reckless disregard at best. As I said there is no evidence of any so-called "intruder" firing a gun and Oscar doesn't claim that happened.

Quote:
What exactly in his story prevents his intruder from being armed?
Of course the "intruder" could have been armed, but in claiming self defence a fantasy that you thought the person was armed is not good enough and you must show that your life was in immediate peril and that it was reasonable for you to think so. Say like someone fired a gun at you, threatened your life while waving a gun etc. A person, even if armed, behind a bathroom door, who has not fired his alleged weapon or threatened you is not an immediate threat by most legal criteria.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:46 PM   #955
Hard Cheese
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 443
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Sorry but you can't just fantasize that a person was armed if your claiming self defence against an attacker.
In the eyes of the law, and after the fact, sure. But to claim people will always behave completely rationally and consider legal ramifications in what they believe to be a life-threatening situation is silly. Pistorius got what he legally deserved for his reckless action, but at the same time, I don't dismiss that genuine fear of ones life and a misguided belief of acting in self defence is a possibility. If you live in a country where gun-related violence and home invasions are common, wouldn't that just reinforce the idea that what you think is an intruder is likely to be armed?

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Of course are you seriously willing to argue if the mythical intruder had in fact been armed he would have been acting in "self defence" if he shot Oscar through the door after all Oscar might have been armed?!
Obviously no - he's an intruder in the process of committing a crime in someone else's house.

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
A person, even if armed, behind a bathroom door, who has not fired his alleged weapon or threatened you is not an immediate threat by most legal criteria.
Sure, by most legal criteria. But I wouldn't be relying on a law book as any guarantee of my safety in that situation.

Last edited by Hard Cheese; 5th February 2019 at 02:47 PM.
Hard Cheese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 03:56 PM   #956
Pacal
Graduate Poster
 
Pacal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by Hard Cheese View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post

Sorry but you can't just fantasize that a person was armed if your claiming self defence against an attacker.
In the eyes of the law, and after the fact, sure. But to claim people will always behave completely rationally and consider legal ramifications in what they believe to be a life-threatening situation is silly. Pistorius got what he legally deserved for his reckless action, but at the same time, I don't dismiss that genuine fear of ones life and a misguided belief of acting in self defence is a possibility. If you live in a country where gun-related violence and home invasions are common, wouldn't that just reinforce the idea that what you think is an intruder is likely to be armed?
Who was talking about people behaving "rationally" in situations like this? Or considering the legal ramifications of what they do? I was talking about the law. And in law Pistorius' claim of "self defence" fails and fails hard; what he may have irrationally believed is utterly irrelevant to the fact his claim of "self defence" fails. It appears we are talking past each other you are apparently think it is possible that Pistorius may have genuinely thought his life was in danger and that he was acting in self defence. Yes he may actually have thought so but it makes no difference to the fact his claim of "self defence" fails totally under law. Especially since even if you accept Pistorius' story there is no evidence whatsoever that the "intruder" acted as an immediate threat to Pistorius. There are consequences to people behaving stupidly and irrationally in circumstances like Pistorius' version of events.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post

Of course are you seriously willing to argue if the mythical intruder had in fact been armed he would have been acting in "self defence" if he shot Oscar through the door after all Oscar might have been armed?!
Obviously no - he's an intruder in the process of committing a crime in someone else's house.
Of course in law you are right but I thought you were talking about subjective fears and what people might irrationally think is the case under given circumstances. In which case it is perfectly obvious that an intruder could fire through a closed door at someone he thought was a threat to his life and think perfectly sincerely he is acting in self defence. Of course any decent law court would throw out such an idiotic defence even if the intruder was in fact utterly sincere about it.

Quote:
Quote:
riginally Posted by Pacal View Post

A person, even if armed, behind a bathroom door, who has not fired his alleged weapon or threatened you is not an immediate threat by most legal criteria.
Sure, by most legal criteria. But I wouldn't be relying on a law book as any guarantee of my safety in that situation.
So would you fire through a closed door at someone you thought was armed even though you knew no such thing and the person had In fact done nothing indicating that he was a threat to your life and limb? You would instead utterly cave into irrational fears and fantasy and fire away? I hope you never have a gun if that is the case.

Of course nothing is guaranteed in life and frankly firing through a closed door would not guarantee your safety. After all if the person does in fact have a gun and hasn't used it yet firing through a closed door would almost certainly cause them to fire back. And since the door is closed you have a very high chance of missing entirely and thus you have likely increased the danger to yourself, in a very stupid manner. Why because firing at someone through a closed door or wall is simply stupid.

I could of course give a very long list of cases in which people have sincerely believed their lives were at risk and killed someone in "self defence"; only the utter stupidity and irrationality of their actions is obviously apparent. And there are consequences for being an idiot.

Last edited by Pacal; 5th February 2019 at 03:57 PM.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:48 PM   #957
Hard Cheese
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 443
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Who was talking about people behaving "rationally" in situations like this? Or considering the legal ramifications of what they do? I was talking about the law. And in law Pistorius' claim of "self defence" fails and fails hard; what he may have irrationally believed is utterly irrelevant to the fact his claim of "self defence" fails. It appears we are talking past each other you are apparently think it is possible that Pistorius may have genuinely thought his life was in danger and that he was acting in self defence. Yes he may actually have thought so but it makes no difference to the fact his claim of "self defence" fails totally under law.
Of course it fails under the law. But you can claim "self defence" not only in an attempt to escape a charge of murder, but also in the hope of reducing the sentence you receive. Pistorius is guilty of murder, but that doesn't mean his belief his life was at risk holds no merit and his sentence not adjusted accordingly.


Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
So would you fire through a closed door at someone you thought was armed even though you knew no such thing and the person had In fact done nothing indicating that he was a threat to your life and limb?
The fact that they're in my bathroom in the middle of the night indicates they are a threat to life and limb. In a country where gun violence and crime are commonplace, it's hard to imagine they're there to pay you a social visit.

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
You would instead utterly cave into irrational fears and fantasy and fire away?
I've never been in such a situation, so I have no idea how I would react. If it came to the crunch, and if I feared for my family or myself, maybe I would. Can you guarantee me that you wouldn't?

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
I hope you never have a gun if that is the case.
I hope not either, I certainly don't want one. Plenty of people do stupid, irrational things with guns, and I'm not sanctimonious enough to claim that somehow I'm immune to doing them either.
Hard Cheese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 11:54 AM   #958
Pacal
Graduate Poster
 
Pacal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by Hard Cheese View Post
Of course it fails under the law. But you can claim "self defence" not only in an attempt to escape a charge of murder, but also in the hope of reducing the sentence you receive. Pistorius is guilty of murder, but that doesn't mean his belief his life was at risk holds no merit and his sentence not adjusted accordingly.
Of course such a claim can work to mitigate the sentence even if it is inherently very dubious and in this case failed to prevent him from being found guilty of murder and being sentenced has a murderer. But then all sorts of factors are taken into account when sentencing people. In this case the "self defence" argument was being used in an attempt to prevent him from being found guilty of murder and it failed.

Quote:
Quote:
So would you fire through a closed door at someone you thought was armed even though you knew no such thing and the person had In fact done nothing indicating that he was a threat to your life and limb?
The fact that they're in my bathroom in the middle of the night indicates they are a threat to life and limb.
This is of course fantasy logic. The sort of logic that any Court with any sense would utterly reject from someone claiming self defence. To repeat you don't know that the person was in fact armed and the "intruder" has made absolutely no threatening remarks etc., against you. That does not constitute an immediate threat to life and limb or much of a threat to life and limb period. Thieves are generally only interested in stealing your stuff; getting into a fracas is generally not what they are interested in. "Self defence" requires the person actually being a threat to your life and limb fantasizing such a threat isn't enough.

Quote:
In a country where gun violence and crime are commonplace, it's hard to imagine they're there to pay you a social visit.
So what. That does not excuse fantasy taking over and behaving like an idiot. And what's with the crap about " a social visit"? Whoever implied that it was.

Quote:
I've never been in such a situation, so I have no idea how I would react. If it came to the crunch, and if I feared for my family or myself, maybe I would. Can you guarantee me that you wouldn't?
I can't guarantee anything and what I would do in such a situation is irrelevant. However if I did something so stupid I would hope I wouldn't try to evade the consequences of my stupidity.

Quote:
I hope not either, I certainly don't want one. Plenty of people do stupid, irrational things with guns, and I'm not sanctimonious enough to claim that somehow I'm immune to doing them either.
We seem to be in agreement that Oscar did something stupid and irrational with a gun and that his "self defence" argument is legally pretty weak. I wonder who here has sanctimoniously claimed that they are immune to behaving like a raving idiot.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 12:02 PM   #959
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,805
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
........ I wonder who here has sanctimoniously claimed that they are immune to behaving like a raving idiot.
With a gun? If so, that's going to eliminate most posters from the question, I suspect.
__________________
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 11:03 PM   #960
Hard Cheese
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 443
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Of course such a claim can work to mitigate the sentence even if it is inherently very dubious and in this case failed to prevent him from being found guilty of murder and being sentenced has a murderer. But then all sorts of factors are taken into account when sentencing people. In this case the "self defence" argument was being used in an attempt to prevent him from being found guilty of murder and it failed.
Ultimately it failed. But initially it succeeded because he was found guilty of culpable homicide and got an extremely light sentence, which was only rectified after two appeals.

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Thieves are generally only interested in stealing your stuff; getting into a fracas is generally not what they are interested in.
I love how you use the word "generally", as if I was going to rely on someone being at the top of the bell curve when I find them trespassing in my house at midnight. Even in my part of the world there are plenty of occurrences of home invasions where the occupant, often very elderly, has been badly beaten. I'm not sure how I'd distinguish between a "thief" and a "home invader". Perhaps they could get business cards printed up.

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
"Self defence" requires the person actually being a threat to your life and limb fantasizing such a threat isn't enough.
It may well do in South Africa, and possibly most other countries, I don't know. IMO the application of castle doctrine in US law is the correct approach. The right to protect myself and my family should trump all assumptions about your intent if you are illegally trespassing on my property.

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
I can't guarantee anything and what I would do in such a situation is irrelevant. However if I did something so stupid I would hope I wouldn't try to evade the consequences of my stupidity.
Your view of Pistorius' behaviour is modelled on how you believe you would act and how one should should behave afterwards despite (I assume) you having never been in such a situation and your opinion that Pistorius does not actually 100% believe that his life was in danger. I think he's a liar (re his testimony about Reeva being in the bed) and a complete idiot (he had a thousand ways to avoid the situation he was in), but by the same token I don't discount that I could be completely wrong and he could be telling the truth.

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
I wonder who here has sanctimoniously claimed that they are immune to behaving like a raving idiot.
Your statement "I hope you never have a gun in that case" (because I might do what Pistorius did) implies that the same isn't true for you. Maybe I am reading that wrong.
Hard Cheese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.