ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , NFL incidents , protest incidents , sports controversies , sports incidents , Trump controversies

Old 11th September 2018, 10:45 AM   #1321
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Nike shares up another percent. Made up the 3 percent drop that occurred immediately following the Kapernick announcement.
Old 11th September 2018, 10:47 AM   #1322
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Nike shares up another percent. Made up the 3 percent drop that occurred immediately following the Kapernick announcement.
Soros.
Old 11th September 2018, 11:46 AM   #1323
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Soros.
Hey, I was never going to buy Nike. But I want to thank Prestige and The Big Dog for bringing the stock to my attention. I made $500 this week on it. I love to jump on stocks that drop for stupid reasons. Eventually people figure out it was stupid and the stock returns to where it was trading. Wish I bought more.
Old 11th September 2018, 01:25 PM   #1324
The_Animus
Master Poster

I support Kaepernick but not Nike. Nike has a long history of terrible 3rd world labor practices and if they didn't think this move was going to be profitable they wouldn't have done it.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 01:37 PM   #1325
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
I support Kaepernick but not Nike. Nike has a long history of terrible 3rd world labor practices and if they didn't think this move was going to be profitable they wouldn't have done it.
That's why I bought their stock after the Kapernick dip. I don't believe for a second that Nike did this to stand for something other than profit. They are as mercenary as they get and know how to market. They bought the publicity of controversy and then produced an ad that strongl appeals to their target market which when watched is not really controversial. Estimates are that they got 200 million dollars of free media so far.
Old 11th September 2018, 01:38 PM   #1326
carlitos
"más divertido"

NVM

Last edited by carlitos; 11th September 2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: deleted
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 05:06 PM   #1327
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm not sure calling yourself irrational is doing you any favours, here.

It's one thing to be irrational, but setting it as a goal for yourself is more than that. It's insane.

If I was totally sane I'd be way less interesting.

This issue is just a hot button for me. We have a great young man, a super role model, calling attention to a horrible ongoing tragedy and half the country now hates him because he wasn't showing respect to a stupid song. I....I... just typing about it infuriates me.
Old 11th September 2018, 05:35 PM   #1328
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
You support Kaepernick even though he will take money from a company with that record.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 05:37 PM   #1329
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Hey, I was never going to buy Nike. But I want to thank Prestige and The Big Dog for bringing the stock to my attention. I made $500 this week on it. I love to jump on stocks that drop for stupid reasons. Eventually people figure out it was stupid and the stock returns to where it was trading. Wish I bought more.
Wish I would have bought it a year ago. Instead I bought Ford for the dividend.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 05:40 PM   #1330
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
If I was totally sane I'd be way less interesting.
Ain't that the truth!

Quote:
This issue is just a hot button for me.
I can understand that. Still, you'll always get better results by being more rational, imo.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 05:50 PM   #1331
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I just want to make it clear that I am in no way qualified to give investment advice to anyone who needs me to remind them that Nike has stock they could buy.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:46 PM   #1332
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I just want to make it clear that I am in no way qualified to give investment advice to anyone who needs me to remind them that Nike has stock they could buy.
It was a good tip. Seriously, no way would I have looked at them without your input. Maybe you just got lucky.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:51 PM   #1333
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Wish I would have bought it a year ago. Instead I bought Ford for the dividend.
What's a dividend?
Old 12th September 2018, 03:57 AM   #1334
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Liberals (of Australia) call for expulsion of "brat" who won't stand for national anthem.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/12/a...ntl/index.html

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 05:15 AM   #1335
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What's a dividend?
To over simplify it a dividend stock is a stock that you can make money off of without selling it.

Essentially some companies pay (usually small but sometimes not) amounts to their stock holders just for holding the stock or grant them additional stock (called a stock dividend.) These payments are called dividends. If you have a big enough portfolio they can add up to a nice little bit of passive side income.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 05:53 AM   #1336
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Liberals (of Australia) call for expulsion of "brat" who won't stand for national anthem.

What do the Aboriginal people who attend her nice school say?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 06:13 AM   #1337
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

If one ponders it, one realizes the folks creating a stink about this are actually helping.

Where would this protest be if no one noticed?
Old 12th September 2018, 06:49 AM   #1338
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Did you sell already, or are you holding on in the hope it will go higher still?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 09:30 AM   #1339
Mumbles
Philosopher

Not bad, man, not bad at all.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 09:50 AM   #1340
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
To over simplify it a dividend stock is a stock that you can make money off of without selling it.

Essentially some companies pay (usually small but sometimes not) amounts to their stock holders just for holding the stock or grant them additional stock (called a stock dividend.) These payments are called dividends. If you have a big enough portfolio they can add up to a nice little bit of passive side income.
I was gonna do some 'splainen, and before I hit reply I noticed the wink icon
Old 12th September 2018, 09:56 AM   #1341
The_Animus
Master Poster

You support Kaepernick even though he will take money from a company with that record.
Good point. Maybe I should say I support why he knelt during the anthem. Though it's possible he doesn't really know about Nike's record.

If I had to be against everyone who supports, through endorsement or purchases, Nike or any other company with a poor labor track record, I'd have to be against everyone including myself. It's not easy to define what crosses the line.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 10:26 AM   #1342
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

If Nike's advertising campaign ("I'm with Kap") doesn't pan out, by good fortune they have 9-year-old Harper Nielsen ready to take a knee. And as luck would have it, she's a better football player than Kaepernick.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 11:36 AM   #1343
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Prestige and The Big Dog mentioned in passing that Nike stock had plummeted in value by a whopping 3%. So naturally, you rushed right out and bought roughly $15,000 worth of shares.

And now, one week later, you're lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills.

Sounds legit.

Last edited by Slings and Arrows; 12th September 2018 at 11:45 AM.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 12:37 PM   #1344
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Prestige and The Big Dog mentioned in passing that Nike stock had plummeted in value by a whopping 3%. So naturally, you rushed right out and bought roughly $15,000 worth of shares.

Sounds legit.
I was tempted to do the same, but was too busy. It is not a bad way to buy quality stocks on the cheap. I almost bought some Delta when they were getting hammered for beating up their passenger, but my wife was against it. And airline stocks in general are more risky than most other major brands.

I mentioned in the Tesla thread why their recent dip doesn't fit this model. But that's probably going a bit too far off topic here.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:41 PM   #1345
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds legit.
A 3 percent drop in a good company with good financials is usually a good buy.

I don't smoke. And I haven't sold yet. The stock could easily fall again. It wouldn't be the first stock I've bought that went up and down in price. Bought 2 lots at $80.20 ..now selling at $83.00 I'm debating hanging on through the Christmas season or selling in the next week. There are a few other stocks I'd like to buy.
Old 12th September 2018, 04:46 PM   #1346
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Delete
Old 12th September 2018, 04:59 PM   #1347
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I was tempted to do the same, but was too busy. It is not a bad way to buy quality stocks on the cheap. I almost bought some Delta when they were getting hammered for beating up their passenger, but my wife was against it. And airline stocks in general are more risky than most other major brands.

I mentioned in the Tesla thread why their recent dip doesn't fit this model. But that's probably going a bit too far off topic here.
It takes a bit of guts to buy when the stock is falling.

If I'd had any real courage I'd have bought call options instead of buying the stock. But the options market is scary. At least to me.

Last edited by acbytesla; 12th September 2018 at 05:06 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 06:42 PM   #1348
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Sounds legit.
Mentioned in passing? Yeah, like Trump crowds in red-state rallies mention in passing, "Lock Her Up! Lock Her Up!"

They figuratively shouted in glee that the stock was trashing and that an overnight on-line poll showed a public relations disaster in the making.

But you want to turn it into an attack on acbytesla's credibility. Kinda a sad world you live in, there, having to run interference for everyone in your tribe.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 06:47 PM   #1349
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

A 3 percent drop in a good company with good financials is usually a good buy.

I don't smoke. And I haven't sold yet. The stock could easily fall again. It wouldn't be the first stock I've bought that went up and down in price. Bought 2 lots at $80.20 ..now selling at $83.00 I'm debating hanging on through the Christmas season or selling in the next week. There are a few other stocks I'd like to buy.
Yeah, 3% is hardly a falling knife.
Old 13th September 2018, 05:55 AM   #1350
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nike stocks highest ever.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 06:04 AM   #1351
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Sounds like something Trump would say, only in reverse.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 06:34 AM   #1352
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

All due to trumps economic policy I'm sure.

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 07:25 AM   #1353
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk
Probably some of it.
Nov 11 2015 63.71
Nov 11 2016 50.77
Nov 10 2017 56.09
Yesterday 83.5?

ETA: Then again it also rose substantially during President Obama's terms.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 13th September 2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 13th September 2018, 07:28 AM   #1354
eeyore1954
Philosopher

How many times do you think that happened in the past? Many times I am sure.
Old 13th September 2018, 07:48 AM   #1355
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

How many times do you think that happened in the past? Many times I am sure.
How many times right after the pathetic right wing tried to harm their business to teach 'em a lesson?

How many times after sad sack conservatives on this board and in the media tried to make an object lesson of the one day impermanent dip in their value?

Not many times, I assure you.

Old 13th September 2018, 08:15 AM   #1356
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Remember early on how companies were afraid of Trump trashing them in a Twitter post? Boeing for example?

Nice to see his power slip away.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 08:25 AM   #1357
Garrison
Illuminator

Can't understand why anyone thought a boycott of Nike by Trump supporters would have any effect, they make trainers not jackboots.
Old 13th September 2018, 09:42 AM   #1358
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Rise in Nike stock...
Quote:
Probably some of it.
Nov 11 2015 63.71
Nov 11 2016 50.77
Nov 10 2017 56.09
Yesterday 83.5?

ETA: Then again it also rose substantially during President Obama's terms.
I was being sarcastic. I used the phrasing 'All due' to Trump to falsely (and hopefully humorously) give credit to Trump's policies for everything.. The fact that their stock rose during Obama's term, and seems to be growing despite (or because of) the Kaprenick controversy suggests that even if Trump's policies of giving money to the wealthy tax cuts might have had some effect on stock prices, its probably only a small factor.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 12:44 PM   #1359
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I was being sarcastic. I used the phrasing 'All due' to Trump to falsely (and hopefully humorously) give credit to Trump's policies for everything.. The fact that their stock rose during Obama's term, and seems to be growing despite (or because of) the Kaprenick controversy suggests that even if Trump's policies of giving money to the wealthy tax cuts might have had some effect on stock prices, its probably only a small factor.
The market is doing great. But it is really misleading to judge the economy solely on the market. The job market since Trump too office hasn't really changed. Wages are still flat. But the rich got a tax cut. And because of the skyrocketing deficit, Trump froze the wages of Federal workers.
Old 13th September 2018, 02:49 PM   #1360
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Can't understand why anyone thought a boycott of Nike by Trump supporters would have any effect, they make trainers not jackboots.
They make jackboots too.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics