ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 21st August 2018, 03:01 PM   #441
crescent
Master Poster

Christopher Steele’s Victory in a D.C. Court

Christopher Steele’s Victory in a D.C. Court

Quote:
The author of the explosive dossier outlining the president’s alleged ties to Russia won an important legal victory on Monday, when a judge dismissed a defamation lawsuit brought against his firm by the co-founders of Russia’s largest private bank.

In his decision to toss the case “with prejudice”—that is, permanently—Judge Anthony C. Epstein of the Washington, D.C., Superior Court concluded that the author of the dossier, the former British intelligence officer Christopher Steele, acted “in furtherance of the right of advocacy on issues of public interest” when he decided to brief reporters on the dossier’s findings in the summer of 2016. Steele’s conduct is therefore protected by “anti-slapp” statutes, according to the judge, which aim to halt lawsuits brought to chill the exercise of constitutionally protected free speech.
Sometimes good things come in threes. Manafort convicted, Cohen pleading guilty, and also this all in one day. We might just save ourselves after all.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 08:12 AM   #442
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

Putin has been quite open in his desire for Trump to be President rather than Clinton. There is no law against that. America interfered in Ukraine. All this Russiagate and Russiaphobia is way over the top. Much of it stems from the Assad must go policies of the past. As Putin has said in the past, not all Russian billionaires support Putin in the same way as billionaires like George Soros in America don't necessarily support Trump. I don't know exactly how much control the Russian GRU has over murdering Russians abroad.

There is an interesting analysis of Putin's attitude to Israel at this website, though I am not sure he appreciates that the Arabs consider Israel to be an alien state on Arab lands:

https://orientalreview.org/2018/05/1...emlin-website/

Quote:
Russia And America Put Aside Their Differences In Order To “Maintain Stable Cooperation…On Many Issues, Including The Southern De-Escalation Zone (In Syria), Where Israeli…Interests Are Also Present”:
“I have to note that other countries, including the United States, are greatly contributing; even though they are not participating in the talks in Astana directly, they are influencing these processes behind the scenes. We maintain stable cooperation with our American partners in this sphere, on this track, even though not without disputes. However, there are more positive than negative elements in our cooperation. So far, we have managed to agree on many issues, including the southern de-escalation zone, where Israeli and Jordanian interests are also present.” – Meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club, 19 October, 2017

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 22nd August 2018 at 08:16 AM.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 09:09 AM   #443
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

There is an interesting article about all this so-called Russian hacking scandal on the internet news today which implies that it is mainly about anybody who tries to fight corruption by these oligarchs in Russia and America:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techa...cid=spartanntp

Quote:
So I wasn’t surprised when my computer was hacked in a custom-made attack launched from a Russian-speaking country. Nor was I shocked when Microsoft revealed that, once I had finished my research into how kleptocrats move around their money, my project was targeted by hackers run by Russian intelligence, who cloned a website in order to phish the accounts of anyone interested in our work.

But this time I didn’t stop to think, “Why me?” It was now perfectly clear. What upsets the current regime in Moscow is not what used to infuriate the old Soviet authorities—research into its military strength—but anything exploring its illicit finances. Something similar might now be said of the current White House.

Looking back on it, I realize that every story I ever filed from Russia was not just a politics story, or a crime story, or a spy story—but almost always, on some level, also a corruption story.

That’s one final, spooky way that Washington now feels just like Moscow.

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 22nd August 2018 at 09:13 AM.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 09:25 AM   #444
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Yes Henri, that is because the biggest gangster is Putin.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:08 AM   #445
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
... There is no law against that. America interfered in Ukraine. All this Russiagate and Russiaphobia is way over the top. ...
There are crimes committed all over the world every second. Remember not to file a complaint next time your house is burgled. **** happens, dude.
Old 27th August 2018, 10:36 AM   #446
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

In 2008 John McCain refused to let Manafort manage the Republican convention, because he was concerned about Manafort's ties to Russia
Old 27th August 2018, 12:46 PM   #447
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
It's almost as if there once were GOP presidential candidates who didn't want to be surrounded by scumbags.
Old 27th August 2018, 06:47 PM   #448
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
It's almost as if there once were GOP presidential candidates who didn't want to be surrounded by scumbags.
Not really. They just didn't like foreign scumbags. Domestic scum was always their preference.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 11:07 AM   #449
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump signs an executive order permitting sanctions against foreigners who interfere in US elections, including the distribution of propaganda and disinformation
Old 12th September 2018, 11:45 AM   #450
DallasDad
Muse

"We felt it was important to demonstrate the president has taken command of this issue, that it's something he cares deeply about — that the integrity of our elections and our constitutional process are a high priority to him," Bolton said.

I love the wording. It doesn't even imply that Trump actually does care. It only says that Bolton et al feel it's important to make the President seem that he cares.
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:05 PM   #451
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post
"We felt it was important to demonstrate the president has taken command of this issue, that it's something he cares deeply about — that the integrity of our elections and our constitutional process are a high priority to him," Bolton said.

I love the wording. It doesn't even imply that Trump actually does care. It only says that Bolton et al feel it's important to make the President seem that he cares.

It also looks to be ripe for abuse.

Everything, including the imposition of any sanctions and what those sanctions might consist of, is left to the discretion of top Cabinet officials ... i.e, Trump appointees.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:29 PM   #452
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Steele is a foreigner....
Old 12th September 2018, 05:51 PM   #453
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
...and he didn't distribute propaganda and disinformation!
Old 12th September 2018, 06:41 PM   #454
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
...and he didn't distribute propaganda and disinformation!

Look at who gets to make the call as to whether he did or not.

People who work for the guy that has been accusing him of distributing propaganda and disinformation.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 06:52 PM   #455
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Why an EO? You've got the House and the Senate. Amend the USC in clear language assuring neutrality and provide a proper chain of prosecution. As an EO, the enforcement can commence after the 8:20 segment on Fox and Friends when Donnie hears one of the leggy idiots say, "Did Justin Trudeau just voice support for Maxine Waters? I don't think that's allowed!"

In those moments you're at the mercy of Trump's sanity, and that's no place anyone wants to be.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 11:07 AM   #456
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
... In those moments you're at the mercy of Trump's sanity, and that's no place anyone wants to be.
I'd extend that to "mercy of 'True Americans' and their oh-so dim minds and dark hearts," but anyway, Happy Birthday.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:22 AM   #457
carlitos
"más divertido"

I have been following the trump money laundering stuff pretty closely, and this was new and interesting to me. Trump's Azerbaijani / New Jersey connections were moving money all over the place after that Trump Tower meeting that they helped set up.

A Series Of Suspicious Money Transfers Followed The Trump Tower Meeting

Originally Posted by Buzzfeed
The documents show Aras Agalarov, a billionaire real estate developer close to both Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump, at the center of this vast network and how he used accounts overseas to filter money to himself, his son, and at least two people who attended the Trump Tower meeting. The records also offer new insight into the murky financial world inhabited by many of Trump’s associates, who use shell companies and secret bank accounts to quickly and quietly move money across the globe.

Now, four federal law enforcement officials told BuzzFeed News, investigators are focused on two bursts of transactions that bank examiners deemed suspicious: one a short time after the meeting and another immediately after the November 2016 presidential election.

The first set came just 11 days after the June 9 meeting, when an offshore company controlled by Agalarov wired more than $19.5 million to his account at a bank in New York.

The second flurry began shortly after Trump was elected. The Agalarov family started sending what would amount to $1.2 million from their bank in Russia to an account in New Jersey controlled by the billionaire’s son, pop singer Emin Agalarov, and two of his friends. The account had been virtually dormant since the summer of 2015, according to records reviewed by BuzzFeed News, and bankers found it strange that activity in Emin Agalarov’s checking account surged after Trump’s victory.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 10:19 AM   #458
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I have been following the trump money laundering stuff pretty closely, and this was new and interesting to me. Trump's Azerbaijani / New Jersey connections were moving money all over the place after that Trump Tower meeting that they helped set up.

Old 14th September 2018, 11:09 AM   #459
carlitos
"más divertido"

now with working link!

Doh.

carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 01:56 AM   #460
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
A bunch of loose ends possibly leading somewhere. I wonder why anyone goes public with all this speculation unless they're trying to shake something else out of the tree? Perhaps having to do with the fear running through those circles if Paulie Ukraine's turned canary?

I have to say, though, that the "suspicious" Bangkok withdrawals, apparently over thirty days, aren't that suspicious.

Thailand is a cash economy. Even many top restaurants and clubs don't take credit cards. Karaoke and Hostess Bars can run you up a major bill in a very few hours. 37 ATM withdrawals for a total of $8400? He was hitting the sex club circuit.

Think about it... even with his business partner's withdrawals, they went through $16000 in thirty days? That's not going to buy you anyone in the political circles they move in. That's walking around money in Bangkok. 37 withdrawals at an average of $250.00 each?

I think they got their hands on some records and want to make something of it. That sort of money might buy you a police captain in Koh Samui but doesn't even raise an eyebrow with high-roller vacationers.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 05:52 AM   #461
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Timeline of Trump & Russian election interference
Old 20th September 2018, 09:45 AM   #462
carlitos
"más divertido"

Thanks for sharing that timeline.
Old 20th September 2018, 11:46 AM   #463
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Pay wall
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 12:16 PM   #464
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Pay wall
I used anonymous mode in Chrome.
Old 20th September 2018, 11:59 PM   #465
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

I believe that for Mueller, Trump is a small fry that he might be willing to toss back in the pond if he gets to cut the roots Russia has managed to sink into the US political process.
It will probably turn out that Trump and his campaign were more or less clueless stooges, , puppets of Putin, as Clinton said.
For his image, this might do more harm to Trump than being exposed as a criminal mastermind.
Old 21st September 2018, 12:19 AM   #466
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I believe that for Mueller, Trump is a small fry that he might be willing to toss back in the pond if he gets to cut the roots Russia has managed to sink into the US political process.
It will probably turn out that Trump and his campaign were more or less clueless stooges, , puppets of Putin, as Clinton said.
For his image, this might do more harm to Trump than being exposed as a criminal mastermind.
Agreed. But you can bet his true believers will claim Mueller and we just don't understand the 3 dimensional chess Trump was really playing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 12:40 PM   #467
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Agreed. But you can bet his true believers will claim Mueller and we just don't understand the 3 dimensional chess Trump was really playing.
Sadly, he plays 3 dimensional chess on a 2 dimensional board...i.e.-throwing a tantrum, tossing the pieces into the air, and declaring victory.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 12:47 PM   #468
kellyb
Philosopher

I used anonymous mode in Chrome.
Just a heads up, NYT, WaPo, and several others have figured out how to track your incognito visits as well, but it does get you a few more.
Old 21st September 2018, 12:49 PM   #469
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Sadly, he plays 3 dimensional chess on a 2 dimensional board...i.e.-throwing a tantrum, tossing the pieces into the air, and declaring victory.
I've come to think of it as, we're playing chess and he's playing Rugby.
Old 21st September 2018, 12:51 PM   #470
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Is it playing a game if all you are doing is cheating?
Old 21st September 2018, 01:05 PM   #471
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Just a heads up, NYT, WaPo, and several others have figured out how to track your incognito visits as well, but it does get you a few more.
That's why you use multiple devices...
Old 21st September 2018, 01:33 PM   #472
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I've come to think of it as, we're playing chess and he's playing Rugby.
Don't be silly. He could never play rugby. His bone spurs would act up.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 03:09 PM   #473
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That's why you use multiple devices...
Why not just pay?
Old 21st September 2018, 03:17 PM   #474
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt Trump is even playing checkers. But under this scenario, Robert Mueller's opponent isn't Donald Trump, it's Vladimir Putin.

And Putin's game was honed in the Cold War KGB and the post-collapse kleptocracy. The mind boggles at the kinds of deals he must have made, the favors granted and the hit jobs carried out, to convince the Russian oligarchs that they should let him rule the country.

I doubt there's been a president since Roosevelt, who was actually capable of playing chess on that level. If Mueller is going after Putin, he should probably settle for getting Trump.

Especially if all he has to show so far are nothing process crimes and unrelated offenses by Trump lackeys. You talk about Mueller throwing the little fish back in, because he wants the big fish. But he hasn't even caught the little fish yet.

Last edited by theprestige; 21st September 2018 at 03:20 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 03:21 PM   #475
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The gazillion denial Tweets are telling.
Old 21st September 2018, 04:32 PM   #476
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why not just pay?
Because.
Old 21st September 2018, 08:58 PM   #477
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Especially if all he has to show so far are nothing process crimes and unrelated offenses by Trump lackeys. You talk about Mueller throwing the little fish back in, because he wants the big fish. But he hasn't even caught the little fish yet.
*raises an eyebrow*

Uh huh. That's what you call all the "We're cooperating, so let us off easy, please" bargains in play? Sure looks like he's quite caught a whole bunch of little fish.
Old 21st September 2018, 11:23 PM   #478
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why not just pay?
My internet access is borrowing my neighbor's wifi about a quarter of the time. I, ummm, have to be really thrifty in general.
Old 22nd September 2018, 01:35 AM   #479
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I always have to have a little chuckle any time someone opines that Mueller's investigation is going slowly.
Old 22nd September 2018, 04:35 AM   #480
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

My internet access is borrowing my neighbor's wifi about a quarter of the time. I, ummm, have to be really thrifty in general.
We shall have to agree to differ as I believe it is wrong to evade the restrictions the owners put in place just because I can't afford or want to pay what they wish to charge.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics