ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 19th July 2018, 06:36 AM   #161
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I am reminded of the Funniest Home Videos of the guilty dogs where the owners are asking, "What did you do?"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 19th July 2018, 07:01 AM   #162
Bob001
Philosopher

In case it hasn't been posted previously, a history of Trump's Russian business connections:
Quote:
The simple truth is that Trump has been hungry for Russia projects for more than three decades. He has repeatedly touted plans for a Moscow mega-development and has courted a steady stream of investors from the former Soviet Union for ventures in New York, South Florida and other locations. Trump has enjoyed playing the "big guy" in Moscow. As he bragged to a New York real-estate publication after a November 2013 dinner with prominent business leaders: "The Russian market is attracted to me."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...&noredirect=on
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 08:31 AM   #163
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

By now it's obvious that the soccer ball Trump got from Putin is in fact the Glowing Sphere he first touched in Saudi Arabia - an insidious mind-control device.
Old 19th July 2018, 08:33 AM   #164
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

House Republicans vote down motion to subpoena Trump/Putin interpreter
Old 19th July 2018, 08:36 AM   #165
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I agree that the interpreter shoudn't be subpoenaed.
But it is unconscionable that there isn't a stenographer present at a meeting of this level.
Old 19th July 2018, 08:39 AM   #166
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps you meant to type that Congresscritter's disruptive stunt was slapped down:

Quote:
Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., disrupted a public House Intelligence Committee hearing on Thursday, making a motion to subpoena the interpreter who accompanied President Trump earlier this week for a private meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The problem was the hearing was focused on something else entirely — the Chinese threat to the U.S. government and private sector — and ultimately the Democrat's effort was shot down.
That is from your link.

sad.

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 08:42 AM   #167
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Not a law, a change of policy. One pushed for by the Kochs.

With this kind of treatment of dark money, though, one of the premises for why Citizens United was decided as it was, whatever its merits in theory, continues to be shown to be unrelated to reality.

Quote:
“transparency enables the electorate to make informed decisions and give proper weight to different speakers and messages.”

Last edited by Aridas; 19th July 2018 at 09:04 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 08:53 AM   #168
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I agree that the interpreter shoudn't be subpoenaed.
But it is unconscionable that there isn't a stenographer present at a meeting of this level.
Someone posted an article here recently that President Trump doesn't like stenographers because they tend to record *exactly* what was said, instead of what he thinks was said.

Ah, here it is

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/o...ress-news.html
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 08:56 AM   #169
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Someone posted an article here recently that President Trump doesn't like stenographers because they tend to record *exactly* what was said, instead of what he thinks was said.

Ah, here it is

Or, more importantly, what he wants to tell people was said.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 09:10 AM   #170
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Ah, here it is

It CANNOT be up to the President what is and what isn't recorded: when he meets with foreign leaders, he is a Public Servant, not a private citizen. He is entitled to bury the transcripts under a mountain of classifications, but a record must be kept.
I would argue that not to have a transcript AT ALL violates the Presidential Record Act.
Unless we get to keep Trump's brain when he leaves office.
Old 19th July 2018, 09:13 AM   #171
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
It CANNOT be up to the President what is and what isn't recorded: when he meets with foreign leaders, he is a Public Servant, not a private citizen. He is entitled to bury the transcripts under a mountain of classifications, but a record must be kept.
I would argue that not to have a transcript AT ALL violates the Presidential Record Act.
Not a problem, he won't be using it.
Old 19th July 2018, 09:15 AM   #172
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Not a problem, he won't be using it.
Why the future tense? He's not using it now.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 09:18 AM   #173
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Why the future tense? He's not using it now.
As much as I would like "when Trump leaves office" to be present tense, it isn't. But, his leaving office comes closer every day.
Old 19th July 2018, 09:24 AM   #174
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
As much as I would like "when Trump leaves office" to be present tense, it isn't. But, his leaving office comes closer every day.
A majority of Republicans would be fine with him postponing the 2020 election.
Old 19th July 2018, 09:25 AM   #175
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Trump lingered last in line for brains

And the one he got was sorta rotten and insane

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 09:54 AM   #176
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Perhaps you meant to type that Congresscritter's disruptive stunt was slapped down:
My title is accurate.

Quote:
That is from your link.
Correct. That's why I posted a link, rather than simply making a statement.

Glad you've caught up.
Old 19th July 2018, 09:56 AM   #177
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Aridas;12367705]Not a law, a change of policy.[/'quote]

Yes, that's why I called it a "rule", rather than a law, and why I linked to an article rather than just leaving the tweet as it was.
Old 19th July 2018, 11:12 AM   #178
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

It violates the intent, perhaps, but I don't think that it violates the letter of it. It was created during a time when what just happened was pretty much unthinkable, after all.

Of course, it would be unthinkable even today, if the Republicans of Congress hadn't become so lost in partisanship that they're now largely traitorous scum.

Yes, that's why I called it a "rule", rather than a law, and why I linked to an article rather than just leaving the tweet as it was.
Indeed. The tweet's misleading enough that I figured that I would specifically point that out, though. A change in law has much different implications that a change in policy.
Old 19th July 2018, 11:15 AM   #179
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Trump lingered last in line for brains

And the one he got was sorta rotten and insane
PUSA, nice.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 12:13 PM   #180
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

My title is accurate.

Correct. That's why I posted a link, rather than simply making a statement.

Glad you've caught up.
You gave the stunt a veneer of respectability it did not deserve, which is why I typed "perhaps" one might have wished to make the circumstances clear, but we get it.

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 12:39 PM   #181
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

By now it's obvious that the soccer ball Trump got from Putin is in fact the Glowing Sphere he first touched in Saudi Arabia - an insidious mind-control device.
Wasn't that the same sphere in the Lord of the Rings? Who is Sauron?
Old 19th July 2018, 12:42 PM   #182
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I notice that Truthless Trump was at it again yesterday. The White House wants to let Russia question American Diplomats? What? Wasn't it enough that Donnie probably handed them the nuclear codes yesterday?
Old 19th July 2018, 02:02 PM   #183
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I notice that Truthless Trump was at it again yesterday. The White House wants to let Russia question American Diplomats? What? Wasn't it enough that Donnie probably handed them the nuclear codes yesterday?
At least some GOP Senators have a tiny bit of backbone. Only a tiny, but some.

Senate votes 98-0 to reject Putin proposal to send ex-US ambassador back to Russia

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/07/19/p...sia/index.html
Old 19th July 2018, 02:09 PM   #184
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I don't expect that Trump does, either.
Old 19th July 2018, 02:53 PM   #185
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

... Who is Sauron?

How could you not know that?
Old 19th July 2018, 03:24 PM   #186
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

How could you not know that?
Putin?
Old 19th July 2018, 04:23 PM   #187
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Putin?
Oh, OK, you mean who has the Sauron role.

I thought Saruman was the villain in the post. But I can't find it now.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th July 2018 at 04:25 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 04:40 PM   #188
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Oh, OK, you mean who has the Sauron role.

I thought Saruman was the villain in the post. But I can't find it now.
You got it. We need an Eowyn. Any ideas?
Old 19th July 2018, 04:42 PM   #189
NoahFence
Banned

CNN reporting that Putin is leaking news from the private meeting, a proposal that trump would support a referendum in eastern Ukraine that would shift that area to russian control.

Putin wants trump to allow him to annex more of Ukraine.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 04:44 PM   #190
NoahFence
Banned

You got it. We need an Eowyn. Any ideas?
Dessi
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 06:10 PM   #191
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
CNN reporting that Putin is leaking news from the private meeting, a proposal that trump would support a referendum in eastern Ukraine that would shift that area to russian control.

"Peace in our time" by selling a small country down the river.
That worked so well in the past....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 06:24 PM   #192
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
"Peace in our time" by selling a small country down the river.
That worked so well in the past....
Enough Mr. Chamberlain.
Old 19th July 2018, 07:14 PM   #193
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Deleted for ... reasons.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th July 2018 at 07:20 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 12:58 AM   #194
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
You gave the stunt a veneer of respectability it did not deserve, which is why I typed "perhaps" one might have wished to make the circumstances clear, but we get it.
I accurately described it, and linked to a source with further detail. Anything beyond that is something you're reading in to my actions, and has nothing to do with either my post or the article linked in that post.
Old 20th July 2018, 01:21 AM   #195
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post

That was among the things that I thought Putin would get out of the meeting

From President Trump's point of view it's a no-brainer. He has no hotels in Eastern Ukraine, his supporters couldn't give a **** about Eastern Ukraine (after all they speak Russian there so it makes sense for it to be part of Russia - after all the USA is part of England for that self same reason ) and he personally has nothing to lose there.

He's getting something he values - face time with, and apparent approval from Vladimir Putin - for something which has no value for him - bits of a country a long way away.

edited to add....

Of course who knows what President Trump agreed to in the meeting. There is no objective impartial record and President Trump has already demonstrated that his memory of events is quite malleable.

Last edited by The Don; 20th July 2018 at 01:23 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 01:53 AM   #196
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

So we're getting Round 2 in the Autumn in Washington this time. Donnie must be needing an update on his instructions after he fluffed the last meeting.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 02:27 AM   #197
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump got a ton of money from Ukraine through Michael Cohen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44215656

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 20th July 2018 at 02:28 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 02:42 AM   #198
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump got a ton of money from Ukraine through Michael Cohen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44215656
And was this the old, pro-Russia, Ukraine leadership ?
Old 20th July 2018, 02:43 AM   #199
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Dan Coats says that the Russians may have recorded the private meeting between Trump and Putin
Old 20th July 2018, 03:03 AM   #200
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I hope that the US recorded it too. Were President Trump and the translator patted down and/or searched electronically for devices ? Even if there was no way to transmit our of the room, I hope one of them was wearing a recording device.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics