ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 24th July 2018, 02:38 PM   #241
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
On the other hand, Trump was making similar claims before the last election.
And on the other hand, I can’t help but wonder if this strategy was one of the topics of the Trump/Putin summit?
Old 24th July 2018, 02:53 PM   #242
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What a job to have!
"He's going on about Hillary again"
"Reliving election, reliving election"
"Fake news yadda yadda yadda"
"Mr Trump asks if you fixed the election, which he says you didn't, witch hunt, fake news, angry democrats... Look I know I'm only here to translate, but does this guy ever say anything worth the effort?"
Old 24th July 2018, 03:18 PM   #243
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
And on the other hand, I can’t help but wonder if this strategy was one of the topics of the Trump/Putin summit?
I think it's a safe bet that Trump mentioned he needs to own Congress in order to get all those goodies Putin is asking for.
Old 24th July 2018, 04:51 PM   #244
C_Felix
Master Poster

Quote:
I’m very concerned that Russia will be fighting very hard to have an impact on the upcoming Election. Based on the fact that no President has been tougher on Russia than me, they will be pushing very hard for the Democrats. They definitely don’t want Trump!
I have a feeling Russia will be on the Dems' side this election and hoping for a Blue Wave.

Why?

It'll create more discord in the political climate and culture in the US.
Old 24th July 2018, 05:02 PM   #245
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
I have a feeling Russia will be on the Dems' side this election and hoping for a Blue Wave.

Why?

Works for me. Which pretty much shows how sad the situation has become.
Old 24th July 2018, 05:14 PM   #246
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Why?

That's if you assume discord is their primary goal. The primary goal seems more like getting the POTUS to end sanctions or not enforce them. In that case they would want Trump to maintain control of Congress, and that creates more discord than Putin could ever hope for. IOW supporting a GOP Congress is a Putin twofur.
Old 24th July 2018, 05:26 PM   #247
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Why?

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's if you assume discord is their primary goal. The primary goal seems more like getting the POTUS to end sanctions or not enforce them. In that case they would want Trump to maintain control of Congress, and that creates more discord than Putin could ever hope for. IOW supporting a GOP Congress is a Putin twofur.

Primary and secondary goals are for amateurs.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2018, 05:30 PM   #248
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I’m very concerned that Russia will be fighting very hard to have an impact on the upcoming Election. Based on the fact that no President has been tougher on Russia than me, they will be pushing very hard for the Democrats. They definitely don’t want Trump!

If democrats win... it's proof that Russians meddled.

If republicans win... it's proof that Russian meddling has no impact on US elections.

Trump knows how to preemptively set the stage no matter which direction the results go. He's a pro at this type of con game, he's been playing it his entire life.
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2018, 09:06 PM   #249
Bob001
Philosopher

A conservative columnist summarizes Russian interference:
Quote:
We still don’t know the full extent of the Russian interference, but we know its propaganda reached 126 million people via Facebook alone. A BuzzFeed analysis found that fake news stories on Facebook generated more social engagement in the last three months of the campaign than did legitimate articles: The “20 top-performing false election stories from hoax sites and hyperpartisan blogs generated 8,711,000 shares, reactions, and comments on Facebook.” Almost all of this “fake news” was either started or spread by Russian bots, including claims that the pope had endorsed Trump and that Hillary Clinton had sold weapons to the Islamic State.

Elsewhere on social media, tens of thousands of Russian bots spread pro-Trump messages on Twitter, which has already notified about 1.4 million users that they interacted with Russian accounts. The Russian disinformation, propagating hashtags such as #Hillary4Prison and #MAGA, reflected what the Trump campaign was saying. The Russian bots even claimed after every presidential debate that Trump had won, whereas objective viewers gave each one to Clinton.

Russia also hacked voting systems in at least 39 states, and while there is no evidence that vote tallies were changed, Russians may have used the stolen data to target their social media or shared the results with the Trump campaign. The Senate Intelligence Committee found that “in a small number of states” the Russians may have been able to “alter or delete voter registration data,” potentially disenfranchising Clinton voters.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...?noredirect=on
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2018, 10:11 PM   #250
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Quote:
The Senate Intelligence Committee found that “in a small number of states” the Russians may have been able to “alter or delete voter registration data,” potentially disenfranchising Clinton voters.
That's... a bit of a bombshell that I think got largely missed by the MSM... or, at least, I missed it.
Old 24th July 2018, 10:25 PM   #251
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
(tweet)

Does anyone actually buy into this?
I ran that through my Google Trasnlate - Trumpese to English.

"I see no one is rallying around my constant reminders to get out and support the party, in-house polling (and outhouse polling) has us losing the Senate and House and I need someone to blame." "Oh, and I won't be stumping for any candidates unless THEY come to Trump Rallies; can't be seen backing losers."

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2018, 11:54 PM   #252
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
That's... a bit of a bombshell that I think got largely missed by the MSM... or, at least, I missed it.
That information has been around for months, although there's so much out there and the news cycle moves so quickly that it's easy to miss such things.

IIRC, the more troubling news is that they have already hacked systems for the upcoming election and nothing has been done about it.
Old 25th July 2018, 01:10 AM   #253
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
If democrats win... it's proof that Russians meddled.

Do you think the Dolt might try to contest the results we’re that that case?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2018, 04:14 AM   #254
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Kremlin says that it's not the right time for Putin to visit the White House
Old 25th July 2018, 04:52 AM   #255
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

The first 20 minutes or so of Rachel Maddow’s show last night are well worth a watch/listen. Available as a podcast.
Old 25th July 2018, 06:05 PM   #256
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
The first 20 minutes or so of Rachel Maddow’s show last night are well worth a watch/listen. Available as a podcast.
Oh! Thanks for the tip! I keep watch/listening to it on youtube, but that is much handier.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2018, 08:51 PM   #257
Bob001
Philosopher

More on how we got here:
Quote:
In Helsinki, Russian President Vladimir Putin admitted he wanted Trump to win — something Trump continues to deny to this day. Putin was more than a well-wisher from afar: His intelligence services ran an extensive operation designed to help Trump, including social media propaganda and hacks of Democratic emails. As I argued earlier, there is strong reason to believe that Trump wouldn’t be president without Russian help.

While this was going on, the Moscow Project of the Center for American Progress reports, there were 82 known “contacts between the Trump team and Russia-linked operatives.” “None of these contacts were ever reported to the proper authorities,” according to the project. Team Trump tried to conceal all of them.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...?noredirect=on
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2018, 09:03 PM   #258
Venom
Graduate Poster

Now Putin is just trolling the U.S. at this point. Some very evil trolling.

"Yes I did want Trump to win...as did half the country. I just want US-Russian relations to improve, so I was rooting for him." *shrugs*

Reporters ought to pressure Putin more when he gives these kinds of replies, though most of them ask the usual talking points FAQs and what's hot currently. Did conditions not improve enough when Bush was in office? What about Obama, whose Secretary of State wanted a well-intentioned but naive "reset" and who rebuked Romney for saying Russia was an enemy?

Relations will improve when Putin is happy.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2018, 09:18 PM   #259
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Reporters ought to pressure Putin more when he gives these kinds of replies, ....
Waste of time. Unlike Trump, Putin is a very skilled liar and politician. Reporters get nowhere interviewing him.
Old 25th July 2018, 10:37 PM   #260
Venom
Graduate Poster

Waste of time. Unlike Trump, Putin is a very skilled liar and politician. Reporters get nowhere interviewing him.
He is a skilled liar, but only insofar as knowledgeable questioners can't corner or at least cross examine him with a couple truth bombs about his past. The language barrier may also serve as a screen between him and Western journalists who may be less reluctant to call him out on his B.S. You can only ask so much.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 03:56 AM   #261
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
He is a skilled liar, but only insofar as knowledgeable questioners can't corner or at least cross examine him with a couple truth bombs about his past. The language barrier may also serve as a screen between him and Western journalists who may be less reluctant to call him out on his B.S. You can only ask so much.
Unlike Trump he is not stupid.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 05:16 AM   #262
Drewbot
Philosopher

How is Putin 'smart' and Trump 'stupid' ?

Trump wins the presidency against all odds, he gets labeled 'stupid'?

Are you sure the backlash against Trump isn't because his victory made the anti-Trumpers feel stupid? It would be a classic trigger for cognitive dissonance.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 05:23 AM   #263
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

Are you sure the backlash against Trump isn't because his victory made the anti-Trumpers feel stupid? It would be a classic trigger for cognitive dissonance.
Putin is called "smart" because he seems to have a long-term strategy (undermining the West in general and the US in particular) and his actions seem to be consistent with this and effective.

President Trump is called stupid because he doesn't seem to have any strategy, his actions are clumsy and contradictory and he, or his people, seem to have to walk everything back. Despite having control of the House and the Senate, he's got remarkably little done that couldn't be done by executive order.

Additionally, Donald Trump seems to be remarkably ignorant about, well, pretty much everything and unwilling to learn anything. That goes towards giving an impression of stupidity - which could instead be a combination of laziness and disinterest.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 06:24 AM   #264
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I've been disappointed for having my favorite candidate lose before. Anti-Trump is not a partisan issue, it is an issue of patriotism.
Old 26th July 2018, 06:47 AM   #265
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Warren G. Harding won the presidency also. It's no substitute for an IQ test, it's a popularity contest.
Old 26th July 2018, 08:50 AM   #266
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is the Forrest Gump of presidents... not talented or intelligent, but manages to succeed based on luck and circumstance.

Had he not been born into a wealthy family (and had one of them not changed the family name from Drumph to Trump), he would not have been 'rich', nor would he have had any political success. Instead, he would have been working at McDonalds, asking people "would you like Large Fries with that? They're YUGE!"

Had the republicans not had a 'clown car' primary (i.e. primaries consisting of over a dozen potential candidates, most who had no chance and some that were outright jokes) Trump would not have had won the republican nomination. (In the early rounds, Trump was different enough from the other candidates that he could win a state despite not getting anywhere near 50%. If the republican primaries had only 2-3 other challengers, opposition to Trump would have coalesced much sooner.)

Had Trump not had the benefit of running against Hillary, a candidate who had been the target of Republican smear tactics (generally based on false information) for over a decade, he would not have won the presidency. (And at the end of the day he needed the support of the Russians, the Fox News propaganda machine, voter suppression and the electoral college to win.)

Nothing about Trump's success suggests it is due to talent, hard work, or intelligence. About the only "abilities" he has are abilities more in tune with a con man than a successful politician, statesman or businessman.
- His lack of morality, which means he is willing to lie unapologetically (which is usually a problem but works for him because of outlets like Fox News) and appeal to bigotry (which makes up a significant portion of the American Electorate, as well pretty much Trump's entire base.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 08:52 AM   #267
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Without the Russians, Trump wouldn’t have won

Originally Posted by Max Boot
While the intelligence agencies are silent on the impact of Russia’s attack, outside experts who have examined the Kremlin campaign — which included stealing and sharing Democratic Party emails, spreading propaganda online and hacking state voter rolls — have concluded that it did affect an extremely close election decided by fewer than 80,000 votes in three states. Clint Watts, a former FBI agent, writes in his recent book, “Messing with the Enemy,” that “Russia absolutely influenced the U.S. presidential election,” especially in Michigan and Wisconsin, where Trump’s winning margin was less than 1 percent in each state.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 10:11 AM   #268
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

The Don and Segnosaur already answered this a bit more seriously, Upchurch responded with something irrelevant to Trump's intelligence and wisdom, but very relevant to the backlash against him, and Segnosaur, WilliamSeger, and LSSBB added pertinent information regarding how Trump won the Presidency.

So, I'm not going to cover those things. Instead, I'm going to ask you whether you're really so... suckered, gullible, and ignorant that you were honestly asking those questions or if that was nothing more than trolling?

Last edited by Aridas; 26th July 2018 at 10:13 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 12:10 PM   #269
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is labelled stupid because he's a frickin' moron, always has been, always will be. He stumbled into the Presidency courtesy of the Electoral College and a dumbass electorate.

In contrast, Putin gained power in a strongly contested field and has held it for a very long time because he is smart.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 01:10 PM   #270
Minoosh
Philosopher

Plus, when do reporters get a chance to ask him tough questions? Probably never, in Russia.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 01:11 PM   #271
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
In contrast, Putin gained power in a strongly contested field and has held it for a very long time because he is smart.
Well that, plus being willing to commit a few murders - though maybe the whole field did that.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 01:21 PM   #272
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Trump is the Forrest Gump of presidents... not talented or intelligent, but manages to succeed based on luck and circumstance.

Had he not been born into a wealthy family (and had one of them not changed the family name from Drumph to Trump), he would not have been 'rich', nor would he have had any political success. Instead, he would have been working at McDonalds, asking people "would you like Large Fries with that? They're YUGE!"

Had the republicans not had a 'clown car' primary (i.e. primaries consisting of over a dozen potential candidates, most who had no chance and some that were outright jokes) Trump would not have had won the republican nomination. (In the early rounds, Trump was different enough from the other candidates that he could win a state despite not getting anywhere near 50%. If the republican primaries had only 2-3 other challengers, opposition to Trump would have coalesced much sooner.)

Had Trump not had the benefit of running against Hillary, a candidate who had been the target of Republican smear tactics (generally based on false information) for over a decade, he would not have won the presidency. (And at the end of the day he needed the support of the Russians, the Fox News propaganda machine, voter suppression and the electoral college to win.)

Nothing about Trump's success suggests it is due to talent, hard work, or intelligence. About the only "abilities" he has are abilities more in tune with a con man than a successful politician, statesman or businessman.
- His lack of morality, which means he is willing to lie unapologetically (which is usually a problem but works for him because of outlets like Fox News) and appeal to bigotry (which makes up a significant portion of the American Electorate, as well pretty much Trump's entire base.)
Well said.
Old 26th July 2018, 01:36 PM   #273
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Well that, plus being willing to commit a few murders - though maybe the whole field did that.
I assumed that was what CapelDogder meant by "strongly contested" - I'd go for "vigorously contested"
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 01:41 PM   #274
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Plus, when do reporters get a chance to ask him tough questions? Probably never, in Russia.
If the WH gets its way, reporters won't be able to ask Trump any questions he/they don't like either.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 02:12 PM   #275
Minoosh
Philosopher

It was shock, not stupidity. Maybe it shouldn't have been such of a shock, though.

Here's what I've learned about myself: I care about leadership. In the past, even if I didn't like a president, I saw that they had some leadership skills, even George W. Bush. We've had weak leaders, but we have not had in my memory anti-leaders - someone whose behavior is the opposite of leadership, someone who cynically exploits fear to divide people.

You might think he's a good leader but he's not. He's incapable of bringing people together, he changes his mind constantly, he's full of threats and bluster but little action, he always blames other people for his own mistakes, he's actually incapable of admitting a mistake (even to himself) which means he can't learn from mistakes. He hires and fires arbitrarily, he has no coherent policy (MAGA is a slogan, not a policy), and I could go on. Leaving politics out of it, Imagine if he were your boss. Would he have your back?

Putin has a high approval rating because he is a leader. Maybe an unsavory one, but he has real leadership skills.

In 2000 Trump knew damn well that cozying up with white supremacists was a bad idea. He said so, calmly. But then he found out that stirring up fearful white people would win him a solid block of the electorate. Wholesale bigotry didn't used to work (in America). George W. Bush strongly emphasized that the war on terror was not a war on Islam. But the mood changed and he got good response to his crusade to prove Obama was born in Kenya. He learned to expertly leverage the anxieties of fearful white people. They're thrilled; Trump is their salvation. In some cases perhaps literally - they want Armageddon. They want the world to end.

That's not particularly reassuring to the majority of voters.

Last edited by Minoosh; 26th July 2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: added "in America"
Old 26th July 2018, 03:00 PM   #276
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

You win or you die.

The bloodiest conflict was the Aluminium War, which Deripaska won. Deripaska now bends the knee to Putin. Case closed, I think.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 03:38 PM   #277
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Putin has a high approval rating because he is a leader. Maybe an unsavory one, but he has real leadership skills.
Putin's rivals for power were just as well-versed in Leninism, so his rise was due either to luck (the longevity of his rule argues against that) or personal talent. I go with the latter.

Old 26th July 2018, 03:39 PM   #278
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Trump is labelled stupid because he's a frickin' moron, always has been, always will be. He stumbled into the Presidency courtesy of the Electoral College and a dumbass electorate.

A stroke of criminal genius, or at least criminal instinct, that rigged the election in his favor, as the apartment bombing-Second Chechen War theory suggests.
Old 26th July 2018, 03:51 PM   #279
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

You might think he's a good leader but he's not. He's incapable of bringing people together, he changes his mind constantly, he's full of threats and bluster but little action, he always blames other people for his own mistakes, he's actually incapable of admitting a mistake (even to himself) which means he can't learn from mistakes. He hires and fires arbitrarily, he has no coherent policy (MAGA is a slogan, not a policy), and I could go on. Leaving politics out of it, Imagine if he were your boss. Would he have your back?
You could be describing King Edward II there. Him what came to a nasty end in Berkely Castle on the orders of his wife and her lover.
Too much to hope that history will rhyme this time, I guess. A nice thought, though.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics