ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , border issues , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 18th June 2018, 05:52 PM   #41
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
I'll have to check the source again, but I read one article (from CNN I believe) where the interviewed individual statd that as soon as they are separated from their parent(s), they are reclassified as "Unacompanied children".
Self-eating watermelon, indeed
The claim was that 5 out of 6 presented to the border with unrelated adults.

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 05:55 PM   #42
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The claim was that 5 out of 6 presented to the border with unrelated adults.
We still need a cite.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 06:05 PM   #43
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

The claim I heard on NPR was that there has been a substantial increase in attempted illegal border crossings and claims of asylum with children. In fact, an industry has arose in other countries to assist those to take advantage of these laws. The increase in children present in these incidences can easily be attributed to the softer, humane policies imposed only when children are present. The purpose of the Trump policy is to deter using children as bargaining chips to gain entry into the US.

SOURCE

Last edited by ServiceSoon; 18th June 2018 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added source
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 06:05 PM   #44
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Moral of the story: Don't try to smuggle your family across the border.

You know what families don't get separated? The ones immigrating legally.
But some have been told they can't enter and claim asylum, because we're just too busy for that.

It used to be that asylum seekers would be recognized even if they crossed illegally. Ain't so any more. Is that due to Democrats? Or the administration?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 06:08 PM   #45
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
The claim I heard on NPR was that there has been a substantial increase in attempted illegal border crossings and claims of asylum with children. In fact, an industry has arose in other countries to assist those to take advantage of these laws. The increase in children present in these incidences can easily be attributed to the softer, humane policies imposed only when children are present. The purpose of the Trump policy is to deter using children as bargaining chips to gain entry into the US.
And it is dumb.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 06:09 PM   #46
sylvan8798
Master Poster

First and foremost, the parents who committed themselves and their children to this process.
Were the parents given a choice when they were detained? "Go back this minute and we'll pretend we didn't see you here. If you stay we will take your children from you and you might never see them again."

That some parents would opt for the latter doesn't make it okay.

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 06:11 PM   #47
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
In an ideal world, yes, all imigration would be legal. However, we have to deal with the messy reality that families are crossing our borders illegally. So what do we do? I'd prefer to show a bit of compassion, and at least keep these family units together, regardless if they are ultimately sent back or are allowed to stay. To separate these kids from their parents strikes me as sadistic.
Well said.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 06:29 PM   #48
NoahFence
Banned

The statue of liberty is no more binding than the pledge of allegiance. Try again.
it's a statement on who we were.

Now that you people have made it clear that brown immigration is bad immigration I think you should remove the statue you find offensive.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 06:43 PM   #49
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Quick question: Have any of the current US administration or Border Force actually told these "illegal immigrants" BEFORE they crossed that (a) their action was illegal, and (b) they will lose their children? Any fore-warning? Do they know these people don't have cable tuned to Fox News or even get newspapers?

Because if they have not, these people are not being deterred by these developments in the slightest because they simply do not know this is happening. They are walking over a cliff in the dark they don't know is there.

If people-smugglers and money are involved, odds are VERY high they won't say a damn thing to their "clients", or try to hush it up if they do hear rumours. They don't give a rats if the kids get separated or not, as long as they get their cash.

Meanwhile, illegal workers, those who are trying to work for a living under the radar in the USA, will not be bringing children. They want to avoid all this fuss and just melt into the background. So bringing children is now the worst way to attract attention.

And what about the honest-to-goodness refugees? When they are on the trek from Central America, they won't even have immigration papers let alone TV with Fox News bleating their Trumpian bulletins. So they present themselves for help at the US border...and get the full Sophie's Choice treatment. Nice...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 06:47 PM   #50
NoahFence
Banned

you mean they don't all have Obamaphones while treking through the desert?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 06:47 PM   #51
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Quick question: Have any of the current US administration or Border Force actually told these "illegal immigrants" BEFORE they crossed that (a) their action was illegal, and (b) they will lose their children? Any fore-warning? Do they know these people don't have cable tuned to Fox News or even get newspapers?

Because if they have not, these people are not being deterred by these developments in the slightest because they simply do not know this is happening. They are walking over a cliff in the dark they don't know is there.

If people-smugglers and money are involved, odds are VERY high they won't say a damn thing to their "clients", or try to hush it up if they do hear rumours. They don't give a rats if the kids get separated or not, as long as they get their cash.

Meanwhile, illegal workers, those who are trying to work for a living under the radar in the USA, will not be bringing children. They want to avoid all this fuss and just melt into the background. So bringing children is now the worst way to attract attention.

And what about the honest-to-goodness refugees? When they are on the trek from Central America, they won't even have immigration papers let alone TV with Fox News bleating their Trumpian bulletins. So they present themselves for help at the US border...and get the full Sophie's Choice treatment. Nice...
It is a connected world.
Old 18th June 2018, 06:48 PM   #52
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Moral of the story: Don't try to smuggle your family across the border.

You know what families don't get separated? The ones immigrating legally.
Not the word I’d recommend.
Old 18th June 2018, 06:49 PM   #53
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

First and foremost, the parents who committed themselves and their children to this process.
How convenient your morality is!

If Trump's mommy made him eat oatmeal three meals a day, that would be abuse. If my mom did because my old man walked out on us and she had three kids to feed, it was not; it was survival.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 06:50 PM   #54
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
you mean they don't all have Obamaphones while treking through the desert?
Never heard of that until now, but Google helps.

The Trumpsters would seem to think they do. But their world stops at Brownsville.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 06:51 PM   #55
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It is a connected world.
And it's a pity the Trumpsters aren't involved in it.
Old 18th June 2018, 06:52 PM   #56
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

”She made me hit her.”
Old 18th June 2018, 07:17 PM   #57
Cain
Straussian

In the other thread, someone suggested a GREAT alternative to family separation: Each criminal alien unlawfully entering should (humanely) have one of their feet amputated. Have fun trying to re-enter.
Old 18th June 2018, 07:19 PM   #58
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Finally getting some air time that none of these people showing up at ports of entry are being allowed onto US territory and none that do get across the line are being allowed to be processed. They are lined up by the entry if they get past the guards keeping them off US soil.

Also Lawrence O'Donnell made a plea to Melanie to go comfort one crying child as one immigrant to another. He also pointed out Melanie never did give that press conference. We all know she worked while only having a tourist visa.
Old 18th June 2018, 07:21 PM   #59
Minoosh
Philosopher

Why? Social Services separates children from their parents for lesser crimes all the time.
Lesser crimes than what is already a misdemeanor, first offense?
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 07:24 PM   #60
Minoosh
Philosopher

10k out of the 12k children in detention came here with unrelated adults (so 5 out 6 come with human traffickers)
Are you sure those aren't the 10K who came unaccompanied by an adult?
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 08:58 PM   #61
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The Trumpsters would seem to think they do. But their world stops at Brownsville.
Their world probably stops well north of Brownsville. It's 65 percent Democrat.
Old 18th June 2018, 09:47 PM   #62
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Their world probably stops well north of Brownsville. It's 65 percent Democrat.
What 65% are you talking about?
Old 18th June 2018, 10:26 PM   #63
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
What 65% are you talking about?
Voter registration is 65 percent Democratic in Brownsville.

Someone had made a reference to Trumpeters' world stopping at Brownsville. (I doubt if it extends that far south.)

Last edited by Minoosh; 18th June 2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: arrant apostrophe
Old 18th June 2018, 10:31 PM   #64
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
IMO, the purpose is to give Trump a bargaining chip for trying to get Wall funding. Which he kept saying Mexico would pay for

Thanks for the link, I will read it.

ETA: That link does not support what you've posted here.

ETA2: And the administration seemed to be *hiding* it somewhat which does not support the deterrence theory. And who the hell thinks it's appropriate to use kids as bargaining chips?

Last edited by Minoosh; 18th June 2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 18th June 2018, 10:49 PM   #65
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Part of maturity is accepting that the world will throw inequities at you. But empathy and understanding is supposed to lead us to greater discipline and humanity. Yes, doing the right thing is not a deterrent. The solution isn't to do the wrong thing like what is threatening you.

There was a time in my life where I thought the solution was to be hard. That solving my problems was to strip myself of my empathy and inhibition. I was teenager. To see that thinking in adults and elders is pitiful.
Old 18th June 2018, 10:51 PM   #66
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The only credible deterrent would be to incarcerate and torture everyone who doesn't come with a valid visa to the border - or just shoot them on the spot and put their heads on spikes.
Old 18th June 2018, 11:13 PM   #67
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The only credible deterrent would be to incarcerate and torture everyone who doesn't come with a valid visa to the border - or just shoot them on the spot and put their heads on spikes.
I think you're ignoring the fact that if they don't cross into the US and we keep 'em on the other side of the border, this falls under the purview of the CIA, not Homeland Security, DoJ, FBI.

And we all know what our thousand-points-of-light caring conservatives think about the rights of non-US citizens not on US soil! Our new CIA director would probably be willing to set up serial waterboarding. Those kids probably have some information we could use.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 11:24 PM   #68
Molinaro
Illuminator

Good thing no nation owes foreigners a port of entry.
Except for the 148 countries who signed and ratified the 1951 Refugee Convention and/or 1961 Protocol.
Old 18th June 2018, 11:38 PM   #69
rdwight
Critical Thinker

What do people think of Ted Cruz's outlined bill proposal above? How do you feel it compares to the Feinstein bill being proposed?
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 11:57 PM   #70
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post

What do people think of Ted Cruz's outlined bill proposal above? How do you feel it compares to the Feinstein bill being proposed?
A couple of concerns spring immediately to mind:

Those judges will be appointed by the Trump Administration. The idea that they will be in any way impartial is laughable. It's authoritarianism 101, establish a series of kangaroo courts to apply your will while attempting to maintain a veneer of propriety.

Putting an arbitrary deadline on the processing of asylum claims will almost certainly result in decisions being rushed, particularly in the most critical of cases. Given that half of the judges will be recently appointed Trump Administration lackeys, it's removing the option of asylum altogether.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 01:16 AM   #71
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The new tack appears to be to say that the concentration camps are essentially summer camps.
Old 19th June 2018, 01:20 AM   #72
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

August 1, 2011 Issue
Old 19th June 2018, 01:23 AM   #73
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The new tack appears to be to say that the concentration camps are essentially summer camps.
Newspeak all over again
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 01:31 AM   #74
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Old 19th June 2018, 01:35 AM   #75
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Theresienstadt
Old 19th June 2018, 01:38 AM   #76
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

How is this even slightly surprising ?

The Trump Administration has worked hard to portray all Hispanics as dangerous gang-members and drug dealers and so those who are coming across the border (allegedly) illegally must be the most dangerous people in the world. This is necessary to protect the US because the DEMS have refused to allow Donald Trump to build his Mexico-funded wall.......
Old 19th June 2018, 02:06 AM   #77
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The UN's top human rights official condemns the policy of separating families, calling it abuse
Old 19th June 2018, 02:08 AM   #78
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

A leading US Catholic cardinal condemns the policy of separating families, calling it un-Biblical and un-American
Old 19th June 2018, 02:13 AM   #79
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/sta...83701708906498

Quote:
No, these aren't cages, @SteveDoocy says. The authorities simply "built walls out of chain-link fences." Yes, that's a real quote from Fox just now.
Old 19th June 2018, 02:15 AM   #80
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

A top official at the Department of Health and Human Services says that they are on track to have 30,000 children in custody by the end of August

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics