ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 21st August 2018, 05:04 PM   #361
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And reports that Omorosa will relase one of her tapes tonight. The bad news just ain't stopping today for Donnie.
It was a dud, just Cohen on Trump's plane heading for the POTUS section.
Old 21st August 2018, 05:11 PM   #362
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Even sadder - while I still think the democrats deserve criticism for not doing enough to attempt to build bridges to areas like this, it's painfully stupid to vote for some buffoon based on misplaced racial grievances and dreams of returning to a 1920s-1950s industry - particularly when voting for a buffoon who openly states that, actually, he'll still screw you over anyway.

...anyway, I'm not listening to Cheeto Benito live, or ever in general.
I have been harping on this for years.The almost open contempt with which some...by no means all...progressves (for lack of a better word) treat rural and blue collar voters has time and time again come around to bite the Dems in the butt.
The Democrats are dominated by people from an Urban background, and they often don't have a clue about appealing to rural and blur collar voters. To be a stable majority the Dems are going to have to learn.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 05:14 PM   #363
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
The crowd keeps trying to chant "Build the Wall" and "Lock Her Up" and they are just ignoring them. Awkward.

They continue to wrongly think Hillary broke the law while ignoring that the Trump administration is more rotten than a four month old banana. If you wrote such a thing it would be decried as too cliche
Old 21st August 2018, 05:33 PM   #364
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Well, he finished without mentioning anything, other than one comedy bit about "Where's the Collusion".

Otherwise all the usual narcissism and lying. By the end, when he talks about how he, with his money and education, is the real elite, just like the people of West Virginia, he reminds me of a chatbot that has just been trained to get cheers regardless of how nonsensical he is.
Old 21st August 2018, 05:58 PM   #365
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Probably over the head of a lot of people here, but Trump reminds me more and more of 'Gorgeous Godfrey" in Jack Kirby's "Fourth World" saga everyday.
Yeah, I could see Donnie working for Darkseid.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 06:13 PM   #366
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Probably over the head of a lot of people here, but Trump reminds me more and more of 'Gorgeous Godfrey" in Jack Kirby's "Fourth World" saga everyday.
Yeah, I could see Donnie working for Darkseid.
Glorious Godfrey ( sorry, not trying to be pedantic). In the Legends mini-series he took the name of G.Gordon Godfrey.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 06:14 PM   #367
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I have been harping on this for years.The almost open contempt with which some...by no means all...progressves (for lack of a better word) treat rural and blue collar voters has time and time again come around to bite the Dems in the butt.
The Democrats are dominated by people from an Urban background, and they often don't have a clue about appealing to rural and blur collar voters. To be a stable majority the Dems are going to have to learn.
I agree 200 percent.
Old 21st August 2018, 06:20 PM   #368
Lurch
Muse

Trump and his band of hoodwinked deplorables at those rallies remind me so much of WWF/WWE pro wrestling events. I can only hope that here there is some glimmer among the audience of the same underlying knowledge of the fakeness on display, and that not *all* of their enthusiasm is based on unthinking belief in the clown show.

Or am I just giving into my own naive hopes? I ask because we know of the effect of group think, and how behavior can be so easily molded when part of a crowd. When alone, do some Trumpettes entertain doubts they don't reveal to others? I can only hope so, for the good of them as much as everyone else. The seeming accelerating to a conclusion by Meuller could unleash much angst and anger...
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 06:28 PM   #369
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Trump and his band of hoodwinked deplorables at those rallies remind me so much of WWF/WWE pro wrestling events. I can only hope that here there is some glimmer among the audience of the same underlying knowledge of the fakeness on display, and that not *all* of their enthusiasm is based on unthinking belief in the clown show.

Or am I just giving into my own naive hopes? I ask because we know of the effect of group think, and how behavior can be so easily molded when part of a crowd. When alone, do some Trumpettes entertain doubts they don't reveal to others? I can only hope so, for the good of them as much as everyone else. The seeming accelerating to a conclusion by Meuller could unleash much angst and anger...
When you have people still chanting "Lock her up" a year and a half after the election, you have a good example of people who are stuck in a certain mindset. Solidly. If Trump's continual lying, deplorable personal behavior, Putin brown nosing, bullying, and narcissistic behavior haven't been enough, I'm not sure it's even possible to snap them out of that mindset at this point.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 06:33 PM   #370
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Popehat:
Quote:
I've been a lawyer for 24 years, and probably will be, God willing, another 24, and I've had awful days in court, and will have more.

But I can comfort myself that I never have, and never shall have, as bad a day in court as the President of the United States had today.
Note: Ken "Popehat" White is no flaming liberal. He leans liberatarian, if anything. It's well worth your time to read his blog and twitter.l
Old 21st August 2018, 07:01 PM   #371
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
When you have people still chanting "Lock her up" a year and a half after the election, you have a good example of people who are stuck in a certain mindset. Solidly. If Trump's continual lying, deplorable personal behavior, Putin brown nosing, bullying, and narcissistic behavior haven't been enough, I'm not sure it's even possible to snap them out of that mindset at this point.
Keep in mind that these are people who would actually attend a Trump rally.
Old 21st August 2018, 07:07 PM   #372
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Keep in mind that these are people who would actually attend a Trump rally.
That is what I was referring to; chanting "Lock her up" as they did at tonight's rally in W. VA.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 07:13 PM   #373
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

There isn't much doubt about which party has done the most for blue collar workers, and even for rural ones.

And it isn't the Republicans.

You're right about "appealing" to them, but that's a different thing, as the Trump campaign and Presidency has so starkly demonstrated.

The voters in West Virginia, both blue collar and rural, certainly found promises of the return of coal mining jobs to be more appealing. How much benefit they will actually receive as a result of that appeal is less than apparent.

Unlike the policies which the Democrats were promoting, which would actually help them.

Do you think that the Democrats should take a page from the GOP book and started lying their asses off and promising the impossible just to get votes?

Or do you think that they should continue to try and work for the benefit of all their constituents, including (especially) the blue collar and rural ones?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 07:20 PM   #374
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That is what I was referring to; chanting "Lock her up" as they did at tonight's rally in W. VA.
I know. They are oblivious.
Old 21st August 2018, 07:36 PM   #375
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
There isn't much doubt about which party has done the most for blue collar workers, and even for rural ones.

You're right about "appealing" to them, but that's a different thing, as the Trump campaign and Presidency has so starkly demonstrated.

The voters in West Virginia, both blue collar and rural, certainly found promises of the return of coal mining jobs to be more appealing. How much benefit they will actually receive as a result of that appeal is less than apparent.

Unlike the policies which the Democrats were promoting, which would actually help them.

Do you think that the Democrats should take a page from the GOP book and started lying their asses off and promising the impossible just to get votes?

Or do you think that they should continue to try and work for the benefit of all their constituents, including (especially) the blue collar and rural ones?
NO. But I think they need to do a much better job at connecting to them.
Old 21st August 2018, 08:53 PM   #376
Tero
Graduate Poster

The GOP do send money to farm states in the
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_farm_bill
The money goes to subsidies, school lunches, farmers and in the way of business income, Monsanto. Organic farmers get very little: your crops failed? No wonder, you did not use Monsanto seeds and Roundup! /sarcasm
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 09:22 PM   #377
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It is a misconception that political parties have to appeal to all voters: they should be working for the interests of their base primarily.
The only way to appeal to all voters is to muddle your message to mean something for everyone and then do basically nothing for anyone but special interest groups.
Old 21st August 2018, 10:04 PM   #378
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump further tweets

"Big Rally tonight in West Virginia. Patrick Morrisey is running a GREAT race for U.S. Senate. I have done so much for West Virginia, against all odds, and having Patrick, a real fighter, by my side, would make things so much easier. See you later. CLEAN COAL!!!!"

"I am sorry to have to reiterate that there are serious and unpleasant consequences to crossing the Border into the United States ILLEGALLY! If there were no serious consequences, our country would be overrun with people trying to get in, and our system could not handle it!"
CLEAN COLE?????? no such thing.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 10:28 PM   #379
Venom
Graduate Poster

Progressives? Most right wingers have great contempt for a lot of the social justice stuff progressives push. That's often the basis for which the left as a whole gets caricatured. That's not the fault of progressives.

Today's establishment Dems are usually the ones who sneer at the middle class (Clinton's "deplorables" remark) and try to keep the conversation on incrementalism rather than bolder proposals which could help those blue collar people more.

Last edited by Venom; 21st August 2018 at 10:30 PM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 11:17 PM   #380
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Trump tweets

"Bill DeBlasio, the high taxing Mayor of NYC, just stole my campaign slogan: PROMISES MADE PROMISES KEPT! That’s not at all nice. No imagination! @foxandfriends"
Sez the guy whose daughter stole the design (from Obama, no less) for his inauguration cake. Sez the guy whose wife (er.... "wife's spokesliar") plagiarized a speech from the former first lady.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 11:22 PM   #381
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

And my daughter has complained several times to the appropriate department at her work about the dead birds she finds daily at the base of the glass fronted buildings.
Where's Michael Moore when you need 'im? Cheap production, loads of headlines....

Get a crew of actors dressed up as ornithologists, carrying field guides to birds of North America, binoculars hanging from their necks. And survey the morning dead bird count at the Trump Whatchamacallit in Chicago. Or New York. Or anywhere he has a glass tower.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 11:38 PM   #382
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/polit...cus/index.html

Duncan Hunter, a Trump early adopter in Congress has been indicted for gross campaign finance fraud. There seems to be a pattern developing with people associated with Trump. I just can't put my finger on it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:10 AM   #383
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Not a peep yet.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:12 AM   #384
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Not a peep yet.
Presumably Fox hasn't yet given him his script.
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:16 AM   #385
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Not a peep yet.
It's 3 a.m. in Washington; surely time for his Ovaltine and Twitter. Of course, after a rally he may just doze of contentedly with visions of sugarplums disgraced enemies dancing in his head.

But we know he's up again in three hours. If he hasn't thumbed us a greeting then 'Vankie took away his iPhone again.

Old 22nd August 2018, 12:37 AM   #386
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I am highly antici-pating the first tweetstorm of this morning after those convictions. No need to speculate on what he'll say because it's likely the end result will be more jaw-dropping than one can imagine.
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:42 AM   #387
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Seemingly lost in the shuffle of the last couple of days: https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1031605374657413126

Quote:
NEW: Top Democrats on the House Oversight Committee & Subcommittee on National Security have requested info regarding national security adviser John Bolton's security clearance after it was revealed that he worked with alleged Russian spy Maria Butina.

https://democrats-oversight.house.go...ter-revelation
Old 22nd August 2018, 01:17 AM   #388
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Not a peep yet.
Seeing the news, his lawyers stole all his phones and nuked them in the microwave of the White House break room.
Old 22nd August 2018, 03:00 AM   #389
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Tonight's programing will be something like this:

Hannity: Qanon special
Tucker: Did you know it's still legal to be black in America?
Ingram: Repeats the 14 words for an hour
And of course running video of puppies.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 03:05 AM   #390
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Even sadder - while I still think the democrats deserve criticism for not doing enough to attempt to build bridges to areas like this, it's painfully stupid to vote for some buffoon based on misplaced racial grievances and dreams of returning to a 1920s-1950s industry - particularly when voting for a buffoon who openly states that, actually, he'll still screw you over anyway.

...anyway, I'm not listening to Cheeto Benito live, or ever in general.
They are getting screwed like they voted for, shouldn't that make them happy?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 03:08 AM   #391
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How do you build bridges to people who don't want them? They don't want realistic programs they want blatant and obvious lies about coal.
Old 22nd August 2018, 03:11 AM   #392
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

Yep and the way to do that is tell them blatant lies that they know are lies. They know coal jobs are not coming back because even if they doubled coal production that would be few additional jobs. They know this and simply don't care.
Old 22nd August 2018, 03:13 AM   #393
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Progressives? Most right wingers have great contempt for a lot of the social justice stuff progressives push. That's often the basis for which the left as a whole gets caricatured. That's not the fault of progressives.

Today's establishment Dems are usually the ones who sneer at the middle class (Clinton's "deplorables" remark) and try to keep the conversation on incrementalism rather than bolder proposals which could help those blue collar people more.
Exactly there is nothing deplorable about white supremacists and it is outrageous that a woman would say that they are. Trump knows there are many fine nazis in america and that speaks to rural voters quite effectively.
Old 22nd August 2018, 03:13 AM   #394
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
How do you build bridges to people who don't want them? They don't want realistic programs they want blatant and obvious lies about coal.
Clean cole.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 03:39 AM   #395
Mumbles
Philosopher

Even "coal country" isn't just West Virginia, after all...

The folks that show up to Mango Mussolini rallies to scream about how NFL players should be censored but Alex Jones is great...I'm not worried about them. racists are going to be racist no matter where they live - I could write a book about Boston in that alone. But if dems don't even bother trying, or they outright act snobbish (I think Clinton was more the former, and distorted into the latter), then they can't expect to win no matter what their ideas are.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 05:23 AM   #396
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

All this tone policing.

The Democrats did not lose because they failed to build bridges, or because they acted snobbishly, or because they didn't connect with rural voters. They lost to a corrupt pussy grabbing a-hole New Yorker con man dripping with sleaze and cheeseburger grease who exuded nothing but contempt for anyone but his own personal sycophants. It wasn't their freakin' tone.

They lost because they offered nothing but the status quo. They had nothing for people to get excited about! Ooh, a job retraining program? Hot-damn ma, pack up the jalopy, we's goin' to town ta get reintegrated inta tha modern workforce! Hillary was mayonnaise on white bread. She was one of those salad trays with the hummus in the middle. All dried-out baby carrots and raw broccoli. Have you ever seen a party where the salad tray got eaten first?

If the Democrats want to start winning, they need to have stuff that people want to vote for. Voters need to think "these guys are going to make things better once they get into office." It's that simple.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 22nd August 2018 at 05:28 AM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 05:38 AM   #397
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Build the bridge out of coal?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 05:52 AM   #398
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

If Trump hadn't paid hush money to his mistresses, he very probably wouldn't have won the election.

If Trump hadn't colluded with Russians and paid the hush money, he almost certainly wouldn't be president now.

History will record that Trump got where he is by cheating and lying his way through life, and he won an election by exploiting the resentment and hatred of people whom has no concern for at all, because he is obsessively self-absorbed.

It will also record that 40% of us still don't care as long as he carries out his regressive right-wing agenda. Sad.
Old 22nd August 2018, 06:42 AM   #399
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"If anyone is looking for a good lawyer, I would strongly suggest that you don’t retain the services of Michael Cohen!"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 06:45 AM   #400
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"I feel very badly for Paul Manafort and his wonderful family. “Justice” took a 12 year old tax case, among other things, applied tremendous pressure on him and, unlike Michael Cohen, he refused to “break” - make up stories in order to get a “deal.” Such respect for a brave man!"

"A large number of counts, ten, could not even be decided in the Paul Manafort case. Witch Hunt!"

"Michael Cohen plead guilty to two counts of campaign finance violations that are not a crime. President Obama had a big campaign finance violation and it was easily settled!"
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics