ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 23rd August 2018, 07:53 PM   #1
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Australian Politics - The Morrison Period

So we have a new Prime Minister, and that means a new period in Australian political history. XXXX has won the vote in the Liberal Party Room after the spill motion was carried 45-40. Scott Morrison defeated Peter Dutton, again 45 votes to 40.
Old 23rd August 2018, 07:54 PM   #2
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Australian Politics - Scott Morrison's Stint

It has just been confirmed that Scott Morrison has won the second ballot in the party room 45-40. It doesn't promise much stability for the LNP government.
Old 23rd August 2018, 07:59 PM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Josh Frydenberg is the new deputy.
Old 23rd August 2018, 08:01 PM   #4
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've send a report requesting that the two threads be combined.
Old 23rd August 2018, 08:02 PM   #5
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I've send a report requesting that the two threads be combined.
Me too.
Old 23rd August 2018, 08:05 PM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The turd wins over potato head. Exciting times

Morrison can’t be turned into a human being in such a short time. And Dutton and Abbott won’t go away. Coalition still a shambles.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 08:08 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The turd wins over potato head. Exciting times

Morrison can’t be turned into a human being in such a short time. And Dutton and Abbott won’t go away. Coalition still a shambles.
Yep. Dutton would have pushed the party's head into the toilet faster, but that head is still going to go into that toilet.
Old 23rd August 2018, 08:46 PM   #8
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It has been revealed that in the first round of voting the results were:
Peter Dutton - 38
Scott Morrison - 36
Julie Bishop - 11

This means that Peter Dutton only got 2 of the votes that went to Julie Bishop. The remainder (9) went to Scott Morrison.
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:00 PM   #9
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah, it's pretty well-established that the Turnbull loyalists were always going to vote for Morrison.
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:24 PM   #10
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It has been revealed that in the first round of voting the results were:
Peter Dutton - 38
Scott Morrison - 36
Julie Bishop - 11

This means that Peter Dutton only got 2 of the votes that went to Julie Bishop. The remainder (9) went to Scott Morrison.
Where did you see that? I can't find anything on the first round anywhere.

ETA: Shouldn't this thread be subtitled the Morrison Months?

Last edited by Wildy; 23rd August 2018 at 09:25 PM.
Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:34 PM   #11
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Where did you see that? I can't find anything on the first round anywhere.
It was reported by a political analyst (who has contacts within the Liberal Party) on the 7 News so therefore, unofficial.

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
ETA: Shouldn't this thread be subtitled the Morrison Months?
I originally titled the previous thread "The Turnbull period" because I thought "years" would be an exaggeration. My choice (as for this one) proved to be unfalsifiable.

Last edited by psionl0; 23rd August 2018 at 09:42 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:42 PM   #12
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Malcolm Turnbull's exit speech was fairly upbeat and positive. However, he managed to conclude with some pointed barbs aimed at Peter Dutton and Tony Abbott labeling them as "wreckers" and "insurgents" (a term used to describe terrorists) and almost gloating that Dutton failed to get up.

Last edited by psionl0; 23rd August 2018 at 09:46 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:42 PM   #13
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

When I started my thread I was originally going to title it "The Morrison Months" because I thought that the other thread was "The Turnbull Years". But I was wrong so I changed it to match.

"Stint" is fine. A stint is a brief period. It's appropriate.
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:47 PM   #14
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Turns out that if Cormann, Cash and Fifield had voted against the spill motion today, it would have been defeated and Turnbull would still be PM.
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:09 PM   #15
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

The ScoMo Seconds. With Malky resigning his seat, the LNP are now a minority. Labor can force an election if they play the independents properly. Given their performance over the last few days, Abbott and Dutton have just written their own political death warrants. They won't hold their seats.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:18 PM   #16
Kid Eager
Philosopher

What a shambles. It's a race to the bottom in a search for the least sucky leader of a sucky bunch of candidates.
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:34 PM   #17
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I just want to take this opportunity to say that following it from over here, your political theater looks like a lot more fun than ours. Kind of in the 'blood on the ice' way that watching a hockey game is fun.

It certainly is a lot harder to follow. I have trouble keeping up with all the players even with a program.

Anyhow ... thanks a lot and keep up the good work. Our homegrown politics are way too depressing.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 12:59 AM   #18
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I just want to take this opportunity to say that following it from over here, your political theater looks like a lot more fun than ours. Kind of in the 'blood on the ice' way that watching a hockey game is fun.

It certainly is a lot harder to follow. I have trouble keeping up with all the players even with a program.

Anyhow ... thanks a lot and keep up the good work. Our homegrown politics are way too depressing.
At least with ours the Government can fall and the party will be subject to the will of the people. The Americans are stuck with Trump until 2020.

This could well be the fate of the current government. The Liberals will need to do some fast organising. How many politicians will suddenly want to retire, either immediately (yes that is possible in Australian politics) or at the next election? If there are by-elections as a result it is possible the seats will be won by the Labor Party and so they win government without a general election.
Old 25th August 2018, 12:56 AM   #19
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
This facebook video may explain it better. https://www.facebook.com/10000030327...8116530875103/
Old 25th August 2018, 02:25 PM   #20
Thor 2
Illuminator

Tony Abbot has vowed he will work together with Scott Morrison. Scott must feel really comforted by this words.
Old 25th August 2018, 02:36 PM   #21
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Tony Abbot has vowed he will work together with Scott Morrison. Scott must feel really comforted by this words.
He also vowed not to snipe or undermine Malcolm. And we all know how THAT went last Friday!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2018, 06:27 PM   #22
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I haven’t heard Morrison’s faith mentioned. He is in record as saying that his faith guides his decisions. He is a Pentecostal, which isn’t as ******* crazy as some others, but could be problematic in a growing secular electorate. Abbott’s Catholicism influenced him as PM, but I can’t think of a PM in modern times apart from him where this was the case. Certainly not atheists like Gillard and Hawke, or committed Catholics like Keating. I don’t recall Howard ever playing the god card.

The other worrying thing is that committed god-botherers like Kevin Andrew might grow in influence.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2018, 07:27 PM   #23
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Sorry, Lionking. Pentecostal is about one of the most ******* crazy of the Christian denominations. It's changed quite a bit since I was one, though.
Old 27th August 2018, 11:34 PM   #24
Dabop
Muse

Sorry, Lionking. Pentecostal is about one of the most ******* crazy of the Christian denominations. It's changed quite a bit since I was one, though.
I never was one, but had a friend who went through a phase in his teens and got involved in a Pentecostal church, and I must agree with arthwollipot, they are ******* crazy to put it mildly...

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2018, 12:42 AM   #25
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
I never was one, but had a friend who went through a phase in his teens and got involved in a Pentecostal church, and I must agree with arthwollipot, they are ******* crazy to put it mildly...
Then Pentacostal ScoMo is just the right person to lead the Libs just now. They deserve one crazy ****** as a leader.
Old 28th August 2018, 12:55 AM   #26
Dabop
Muse

Remember Abbott's glee over the Labor 'who is the Prime Minister this week', saying how much more stable the libs would be?????

Wonder how he feels about that claim now????

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2018, 02:42 AM   #27
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I haven’t heard Morrison’s faith mentioned. He is in record as saying that his faith guides his decisions. He is a Pentecostal, which isn’t as ******* crazy as some others, but could be problematic in a growing secular electorate.
He still PM? It's been almost a week.

Hillsong seem as crazy as any church short of Westboro when I see them.

Morrison's pope being a Kiwi will do us as much good as Abbott's wife did.
Old 28th August 2018, 02:45 AM   #28
Dabop
Muse

I got a giggle out of this one

Old 28th August 2018, 02:46 AM   #29
Dabop
Muse

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

I didn't know we had a new Pope, and he's a Kiwi???

Old 28th August 2018, 04:08 AM   #30
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Is Hillsong fundamentally different to the Catholic Church? Transubstantiation is surely as kooky as the OT crap Hillsong preaches.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 28th August 2018, 11:32 AM   #31
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I didn't know we had a new Pope, and he's a Kiwi???

Check the capitalisation.

But yes, your boss' boss is a Kiwi. Growing up in Lower Hutt, I'm not too surprised he found god. Most people arriving there say "Oh my god, what is this place?"

Is Hillsong fundamentally different to the Catholic Church? Transubstantiation is surely as kooky as the OT crap Hillsong preaches.
I don't see the Catholics calling for transubstantiation to be taught in schools, while Hillsong does believe creationism and "intelligent design" should be.

Now the Catholics have decided child rape is bad, I'd say they're a fair bit less insane than Hillsong.

Morrison seems to be doing a pretty good job at this stage, though. He's taken immediate action on the drought that will win him votes.

My Aussie (right-wing) mate has suggested the LNP might have lucked on a winner.
Old 28th August 2018, 04:42 PM   #32
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Liberals and Labor neck and neck in byelection race for Turnbull's seat – poll

Quote:
The major parties are neck and neck in the Sydney seat of Wentworth, and voters in the electorate are concerned that the new prime minister, Scott Morrison, is not as committed to action on climate change as Malcolm Turnbull was, according to a new opinion poll.

With Turnbull’s resignation about to trigger a byelection in the Sydney seat the former prime minister holds with a margin of 17.7%, the new ReachTel poll funded by the Australia Institute, with a sample size of 886 residents, suggests voters in Wentworth are focused on Morrison’s early steps on climate and energy.

While single-seat polls can be unreliable, the new survey suggests Wentworth voters are in a mood to punish the Liberals after the leadership civil war deposed their popular sitting member, with Labor polling 20%, the Greens 15% and interest in independent candidates in double digits in a poll taken on Monday night.
Old 28th August 2018, 04:44 PM   #33
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The Pentecostals, in their American incarnation, are the ones who handle snakes and drink poison. Australian pentecostals don't go quite that far, but they speak in tongues and prophecy and fall over when you pray for them.
Old 28th August 2018, 07:02 PM   #34
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The Pentecostals, in their American incarnation, are the ones who handle snakes and drink poison. Australian pentecostals don't go quite that far, but they speak in tongues and prophecy and fall over when you pray for them.

That could be something of a disadvantage in a combat situation.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2018, 08:44 PM   #35
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Remember Abbott's glee over the Labor 'who is the Prime Minister this week', saying how much more stable the libs would be?????

Wonder how he feels about that claim now????
He doesn't give a rats. And he's just accepted the position of "Envoy for Indigenous Affairs". Whatever did our indigenous brothers and sisters do to deserve that?!
Old 28th August 2018, 09:13 PM   #36
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He doesn't give a rats. And he's just accepted the position of "Envoy for Indigenous Affairs". Whatever did our indigenous brothers and sisters do to deserve that?!
Yeah, that's not going to go well.

The good news is that this government is on the ropes. Even Bill Shorten could beat them in an election now.
Old 29th August 2018, 01:27 PM   #37
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Labor and Liberal are neck and neck in Wentworth according to recent polls. If Wentworth falls, so will the government.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 29th August 2018, 06:09 PM   #38
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Canberra voters pan Zed Seselja after leadership coup role: poll

Quote:
Canberra voters would be less likely to vote for Liberal Senator Zed Seselja after his prominent role in the failed push by Peter Dutton to become leader of the party last week, a new poll shows.

In a poll of 808 voters in the new inner-city electorate of Canberra taken on Monday, 64.6 per cent of voters said the new Assistant Minister for Treasury and Finance's resignation from his former position in order to support Peter Dutton made them less likely to vote Liberal in the Senate. While 22.4 per cent said the week's events wouldn't change their vote, just 13 per cent said it made them more likely to vote for the government.
Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke. To be fair, it should be made explicit that the poll was commissioned by the Greens, who are targeting seats in Canberra. I actually quite like the Green senate candidate - she is a game developer and expert in AI systems. Makes a nice change from all the bankers and lawyers.
Old 29th August 2018, 06:16 PM   #39
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Also, this:

Bullying and intimidation claims by Julia Banks rock a divided Morrison government

Quote:
An explosive row over bullying and intimidation has rocked the Morrison government as a key MP vows to quit Parliament at the next election in a fresh sign the Liberal Party remains deeply split over last week's leadership turmoil.

The development is another blow to Prime Minister Scott Morrison as Labor prepares to exploit the imminent resignation of former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull to challenge the government’s authority on the floor of Parliament.

Victorian Liberal MP Julia Banks sparked a furore over the treatment of women in politics on Wednesday after announcing her intention to leave Parliament, declaring she had experienced bullying and intimidation by Liberal and Labor MPs.

Fairfax Media has spoken to several MPs who are also angry at the brutal politics displayed last week, when supporters of leadership contender Peter Dutton put pressure on their colleagues to bring down Mr Turnbull.
This government is on its last legs. Bill Shorten would really have to pull a miracle out of his pants to lose this one.
Old 29th August 2018, 09:57 PM   #40
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Also, this:

Leaked emails reveal Peter Dutton overruled advice and granted au pair visa

Quote:
Messages between AFL boss Gillon McLachlan’s family and immigration minister’s office show border security concerns

An email trail between Peter Dutton’s office and relatives of the AFL boss Gillon McLachlan concerning the visa for an au pair has been leaked.

The emails run over 14 pages and concern Dutton’s decision to overrule border security advice and allow entry to Australia to the French woman, Alexandra Deuwel.

Guardian Australia revealed this week that Deuwel had her tourist visa cancelled when she attempted to enter the country in October 2015.

Border security staff raised suspicions that she intended to work and she had previously been counselled about visa conditions during an earlier stay in the country.
Au pair? Au myyy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics