ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 29th August 2018, 11:10 PM   #41
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Nannygate?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2018, 11:12 PM   #42
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Given the moral superiority the LNP cloakes itself in, these misdemeanours will count at election time.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2018, 11:21 PM   #43
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Given the moral superiority the LNP cloakes itself in, these misdemeanours will count at election time.

I wouldn't depend on that.

Our GOP has painted itself as the party of high morals, untarnished ethics, and
stalwart virtue for well over three quarters of a century, and when they quite blatantly and transparently abandoned all pretense to such claims in the course of a mere year or two their supporters have hardly blinked.

If anything they have become even more fervent in their support.

Maybe you can avoid that Down Under in Oz, but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2018, 11:53 PM   #44
Wildy
Adelaidean

I wonder if he'll intervene with the most recent boatload of au pairs?
Old 30th August 2018, 01:39 AM   #45
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
I wonder if he'll intervene with the most recent boatload of au pairs?

You guys ship in your French au pairs by the boatload?

Cool. That's got to manage a hell of a discount.

Although I'd think that a French au pair named Abdul is gonna start out with something of a price break. It helps that he loves kids, I guess.
Quote:
“J’aime les enfants,” Al-Fadhi said, reading from a piece of paper.
Old 30th August 2018, 02:12 PM   #46
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I wouldn't depend on that.
I would, and it's not very often I stick up for our worst and most implacable enemy.

Aussie, despite its many, many faults, is not USA, and the people don't like dirty politicians. Although the LNP is knee-deep in christian weiners, the religiosity index of Aussie is light-years from USA's, with under 10% attending a church regularly.

And Aussies, while strictly limited in the brains department, have had the benefit of several generations of Kiwis to lift the average IQ and the average Aussie is nowhere near as stupid as the average American.

There is as much chance of a Trumpian figure taking over the PM seat in Aussie as there was of Joh Bjelke-Petersen taking it over in the 1970s, and he was more Trumpian than Trump, long before little Donnie ever thought about politics. (And he was a Kiwi. Thank god we lost that prick!)

Trump would be fine in QLD, but nowhere else. Queensland is a little like Texas, but with more crocodiles and snakes. Swap oil for coal and you're halfway there.

Given 95% of Aussies living in Sydney and Melbourne, you'd be more likely to have an asexual transvestite with green hair and facial tattoos than a Trump running Aussie. Crikey, they kicked out the closest thing alive, which started all this crap: Tony Abbott.
Old 30th August 2018, 04:02 PM   #47
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The Atheist is right. And you have no idea how much it pains me to say that.
Old 30th August 2018, 04:04 PM   #48
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Meanwhile. Peter Dutton seems to have a thing for au pairs, especially those who are going to work for his mates.

Revealed: Peter Dutton intervened in Italian au pair visa case for former police colleague

Quote:
One of the foreign au pairs Peter Dutton saved from deportation came to Australia to work for the family of a former police force colleague, Guardian Australia understands.

Dutton used his ministerial powers under the Migration Act in June 2015 to grant a visa to an Italian au pair who was intending to work for a Brisbane family.

The couple have worked for the Queensland police service and have two young children. The Guardian has decided not to name them.

The matter is one of at least two au pair visa cases which are now the subject of a Senate inquiry.
This is starting to look more and more like straightforward nepotism. Imagine if this guy had won the spill!
Old 30th August 2018, 07:15 PM   #49
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I would, and it's not very often I stick up for our worst and most implacable enemy.

Aussie, despite its many, many faults, is not USA, and the people don't like dirty politicians. Although the LNP is knee-deep in christian weiners, the religiosity index of Aussie is light-years from USA's, with under 10% attending a church regularly.

And Aussies, while strictly limited in the brains department, have had the benefit of several generations of Kiwis to lift the average IQ and the average Aussie is nowhere near as stupid as the average American.

There is as much chance of a Trumpian figure taking over the PM seat in Aussie as there was of Joh Bjelke-Petersen taking it over in the 1970s, and he was more Trumpian than Trump, long before little Donnie ever thought about politics. (And he was a Kiwi. Thank god we lost that prick!)

Trump would be fine in QLD, but nowhere else. Queensland is a little like Texas, but with more crocodiles and snakes. Swap oil for coal and you're halfway there.

Given 95% of Aussies living in Sydney and Melbourne, you'd be more likely to have an asexual transvestite with green hair and facial tattoos than a Trump running Aussie. Crikey, they kicked out the closest thing alive, which started all this crap: Tony Abbott.

Boy you are below the belt on that one.

This reminds me of that Kiwi statement, (can't remember who by), that the dumbest Kiwis go to Australia, which lifts the average IQ of both countries.

Careful however. Just remember that Ray Comfort, (of Banana Man fame), comes from NZ.
Old 30th August 2018, 09:43 PM   #50
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Boy you are below the belt on that one.

This reminds me of that Kiwi statement, (can't remember who by), that the dumbest Kiwis go to Australia, which lifts the average IQ of both countries.

Careful however. Just remember that Ray Comfort, (of Banana Man fame), comes from NZ.
Actually the average IQ of both nations decreases when Kiwis come over to Australia.
Old 30th August 2018, 09:47 PM   #51
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Actually the average IQ of both nations decreases when Kiwis come over to Australia.
That's when the smarter ones do - come over that is.
Old 30th August 2018, 09:57 PM   #52
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

To those readers who are neither Australian nor Kiwi (I know you're out there), I'd like to point out that the above is a national sport in both countries, and we take it all very seriously.
Old 30th August 2018, 10:29 PM   #53
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Meanwhile. Peter Dutton seems to have a thing for au pairs, especially those who are going to work for his mates.

This is starting to look more and more like straightforward nepotism. Imagine if this guy had won the spill!
Looks like?? Dutton is one of the last Qld coppers of the Joh Bjelke era, like Russ Hinze. Those guys were so on-the-take that they had little time left for actual policing in between cash pickups and drop-offs, prostitution management and basic shake-downs. Rumours were that the brown bags of cash left on the desks of various Qld pollies were put there by visiting coppers. The new youngsters like Dutton were allegedly told it was all part of the job and were used as mules. Dutton would have been perfect for that sort of thing - thick as a brick.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 30th August 2018 at 10:30 PM.
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2018, 01:18 AM   #54
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That was old Piggy, Robert Muldoon - another proto-Trump, if ever there was one.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Those guys were so on-the-take that they had little time left for actual policing in between cash pickups and drop-offs, prostitution management and basic shake-downs.
Ah, those were the days. Brilliant description of it all.
Old 31st August 2018, 02:10 AM   #55
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Heh when Americans complain about gerrymandering in the US I remember Joh and have a little chuckle.

Queensland didn't just have a gerrymander, it had an outright malapprortionment. Rural seats had half as many voters as their metropolitan counterparts. It was this rigging that allowed the National Party to have the most seats in the Queensland parliament even though it received the fewest votes in the elections.

WA had a similar malapportionment but it also had an upper house where the malapportionment was even worse (a 3 to 1 ratio). Even if Labor was able to buck the odds and win an election, they have never had a majority in the Legislative Council.
Old 1st September 2018, 07:49 PM   #56
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

On 4 Corners tomorrow night there is a piece on Steve Bannon. Here is a run down.

As the Liberal Party tries to piece itself back together after the chaos of last week, Four Corners brings you an interview with the man hoping to overthrow the entire political class.

Steve Bannon put Donald Trump in the White House and rewrote the rules of modern politics along the way.

Described as the most dangerous political operative in America, the strategist, renegade Republican and professional provocateur channelled the anger and disappointment of those who felt left behind by globalism to install Donald Trump as president.

Now, he's taking his cause to the world in a crusade to "save" western civilisation, as the leader of a global populist-nationalist movement. He calls it a revolution.

He may get some traction in Queensland.

Put him in the van.

Last edited by wombatwal; 1st September 2018 at 07:50 PM.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 08:05 PM   #57
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

What is absolutely fascinating is that Turnbull’s son is campaigning against the Libs in Wentworth.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 03:24 AM   #58
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Yes, he is an intelligent man and understands the problems of man made climate change.
I in fact think that he is supporting Labor in Wentworth.

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 03:28 AM   #59
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
Yes, he is an intelligent man and understands the problems of man made climate change.
I in fact think that he is supporting Labor in Wentworth.
I think the protest vote against the Libs lilyliverd response to carbon emissions will see the Greens poll,strongly and, hopefully, a Labor victory.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd September 2018, 03:56 AM   #60
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

On 4 Corners tomorrow night there is a piece on Steve Bannon. Here is a run down.

As the Liberal Party tries to piece itself back together after the chaos of last week, Four Corners brings you an interview with the man hoping to overthrow the entire political class.

Steve Bannon put Donald Trump in the White House and rewrote the rules of modern politics along the way.

Described as the most dangerous political operative in America, the strategist, renegade Republican and professional provocateur channelled the anger and disappointment of those who felt left behind by globalism to install Donald Trump as president.

Now, he's taking his cause to the world in a crusade to "save" western civilisation, as the leader of a global populist-nationalist movement. He calls it a revolution.

He may get some traction in Queensland.
The traction elsewhere would be being dragged behind a paddock ute between the homestead and the letterbox.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 01:49 PM   #61
Thor 2
Illuminator

That was old Piggy, Robert Muldoon - another proto-Trump, if ever there was one.

Ah, those were the days. Brilliant description of it all.

Those were the days alright. Rusty Hinze, minister for just about everything, and Vince Lester, minister for dunny doors.
Old 2nd September 2018, 03:45 PM   #62
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Those were the days alright. Rusty Hinze, minister for just about everything, and Vince Lester, minister for dunny doors.
I’m in Brisbane at the moment. The stench still hangs around.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd September 2018, 05:17 AM   #63
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Why Scott Morrison sends his daughters to private school
"I don't want the values of others being imposed on my children in my school and I don't think that should be happening in a public school or a private school.

https://www.theage.com.au/education/...03-p501gl.html
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:45 AM   #64
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

"I don't want the values of others being imposed on my children in my school and I don't think that should be happening in a public school or a private school.

His religious beliefs will surely cause problems. I’m betting it will be only days before he caves in to the Catholic education system and increases funding to them.

Also, how is teaching respect for others and anti-bullying imposing values on children? Morrison is the ideologue here, and he’s not good at it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd September 2018, 06:08 PM   #65
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

He really is completely oblivious to the irony, isn't he?
Old 5th September 2018, 04:22 PM   #66
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

And the culture of sexism and bullying in the Liberal Party is being called out by more and more people.

Liberal MP Julia Banks to quit parliament, citing 'bullying and intimidation'

Kelly O'Dwyer says MPs were bullied during spill, as senator vows to name names

Julie Bishop calls out 'appalling behaviour' in politics, saying 'enough is enough'
Old 6th September 2018, 02:29 AM   #67
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Dutton and Quaedvlieg the former Border Force boss are at loggerheads. Dutton claiming his evidence in the senate inquiry is fabricated and is doubting Quaedvlieg's mental health.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...06-p5028a.html

Put him in the van.
Old 6th September 2018, 06:51 AM   #68
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Apropos of not much, on my plane from Brisbane yesterday was Bill Shorten and hero and MND sufferer Neale Daniher (probably won’t survive another year). Needless to say passengers were thrilled to see Neale and were queuing to get photos with him, including Bill, who did get a selfie. There is no doubt he knows where he really stands and is not up himself, unlike some of his opponents.

I spoke to the great man (Neale) who was in a seat just behind me and shook his hand as he knew my son. I would have liked to shake Bill’s hand after the flight but his minders were surrounding him, understandingly.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 6th September 2018, 01:27 PM   #69
Thor 2
Illuminator

Dutton and Quaedvlieg the former Border Force boss are at loggerheads. Dutton claiming his evidence in the senate inquiry is fabricated and is doubting Quaedvlieg's mental health.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...06-p5028a.html

I don't think this issue of Dutton's misuse of power will make much of an impact on rusted on right wing voters. I think they tend to regard privilege for the well to do as quite ok and not an issue.

Now if Dutton and Abbott were caught giving each other blow jobs in a car that would be a different story.
Old 6th September 2018, 07:41 PM   #70
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Now if Dutton and Abbott were caught giving each other blow jobs in a car that would be a different story.

Put him in the van.
Old 7th September 2018, 05:13 AM   #71
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Darkness' coming if Scott Morrison not re-elected, Pentecostal leader claims.
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-leader-claims

Religious nutters are spreading their delusions.

Put him in the van.
Old 7th September 2018, 02:36 PM   #72
Thor 2
Illuminator

Oh boy! God is getting involved in Australian politics.

Quote:
Pentecostal leaders have warned their congregation that “darkness” will spread across Australia and Christians will be persecuted if Scott Morrison does not win the next election.

Others have been told that Morrison’s rise to power was a “miracle of God” that answered three days of prayer and fasting. They have been told that Morrison has made a public stand for Christian freedoms, and has promised to keep doing so, so God intervened to ensure he beat the home affairs minister, Peter Dutton, in the Liberal leadership spill.
One would think God would just wiggle his nose and make it happen, (Morrison being elected that is), rather than scaring the bejesus out of everybody with these threats.
Old 7th September 2018, 02:47 PM   #73
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Who is their audience? Other religious nutters. Certainly not the mainstream public, because the speakers know they would be laughed straight to hell. And hell is real, folks!
Old 8th September 2018, 05:27 AM   #74
fromdownunder
Philosopher

While usually State elections are used to decide local issues, I doubt that the by-election swing in the formerly safe New South Wales seat of Wagga Wagga can be ignored Federally.

The primary Liberal vote fell 29% to a miserly 24.7%, and the two party preferred fell by 15.2% to 47.7%.

I think that Canberra really needs to sit up and take notice of this result.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/elections...-2018/results/

Norm

fromdownunder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 04:08 PM   #75
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Ouch.
Old 8th September 2018, 04:46 PM   #76
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

KLANG! Gee, thanks, Abbott & co.
Old 8th September 2018, 05:19 PM   #77
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

As much as I’d love to, you can’t generalise from a result in Wagga. We need to look at a metro result where the ALP is actually fielding a candidate. There are too many local issues and the power of good independents is strong.

How many voted against incumbents because they were pissed off with the drought or milk yields?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 8th September 2018, 06:57 PM   #78
fromdownunder
Philosopher

dup

Last edited by fromdownunder; 8th September 2018 at 06:59 PM.
fromdownunder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 06:58 PM   #79
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
As much as I’d love to, you can’t generalise from a result in Wagga. We need to look at a metro result where the ALP is actually fielding a candidate. There are too many local issues and the power of good independents is strong.

How many voted against incumbents because they were pissed off with the drought or milk yields?

Well, mostly yes. I said as much in my post when I talked about local issues. But a 29% drop in the primary vote for the incumbent Government is a large number. And Wagga Wagga itself has a population of over 60,000, so it is not exactly a bush town.

Norm

Old 8th September 2018, 07:38 PM   #80
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Well, mostly yes. I said as much in my post when I talked about local issues. But a 29% drop in the primary vote for the incumbent Government is a large number. And Wagga Wagga itself has a population of over 60,000, so it is not exactly a bush town.

Norm
You are probably right. I’ve been in Wagga many times and find it a most unpleasant place. I admit to bias against Wagga.

Sir Winston Churchill

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics