ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st September 2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Would a bridge from Alaska to Russia serve any purpose and is it even possible?

Some engineers whimsically suggest that this bridge is possible but very difficult to make. Would such a structure serve any purpose at all?
Old 1st September 2018, 08:13 AM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Technically possible? I expect so. Of course you can just drive across about half the year anyhow. The governments frown on that, of course.
Economic value? None that I can see.
Old 1st September 2018, 08:13 AM   #3
3point14
Pi

There's been a fair old amount of talk about it already:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bering_Strait_crossing
Old 1st September 2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Technically possible? I expect so. Of course you can just drive across about half the year anyhow. The governments frown on that, of course.
Yeah, I don't see the purpose of spending monstrous amounts of money to connect two frozen wastelands where virtually no one wants to live. There are thousands of bridges in the US that are actually useful on which more money needs to be spent.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Yeah, I don't see the purpose of spending monstrous amounts of money to connect two frozen wastelands where virtually no one wants to live. There are thousands of bridges in the US that are actually useful on which more money needs to be spent.

Call it the TRUMP BRIDGE, and I’m sure someone would support it.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 12:14 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Kind of silly between two sparsely populated land masses. And it's not likely to be a trade route.
Old 1st September 2018, 12:16 PM   #7
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

I heard the ocean doesn't freeze but maybe I am wrong
Old 1st September 2018, 12:29 PM   #8
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I heard the ocean doesn't freeze but maybe I am wrong
You might want to watch Deadliest Catch sometime. While oceans/seas don't turn into ice from top to bottom, they can absolutely freeze over. The salt in the water doesn't prevent freezing, it only lowers the temperature at which it freezes.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 12:39 PM   #9
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I would think that if there was a critical mass of cars wanting to cross, somebody would come up with a ferry service.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 12:44 PM   #10
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Or the William Jefferson Le Ptomaine bridge.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 01:21 PM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I would think that if there was a critical mass of cars wanting to cross, somebody would come up with a ferry service.
First you'd need for there to actually be roads to the area.
Old 1st September 2018, 01:32 PM   #12
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Some engineers whimsically suggest that this bridge is possible but very difficult to make. Would such a structure serve any purpose at all?
Only if you are planning a new land war in NE Asia.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 01:46 PM   #13
Venom
Graduate Poster

so that Sarah Palin could tell Russia to 'cut it out' if necessary
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 01:57 PM   #14
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

We need to build that bridge!
It's high time that those Asian who came over the Bering Strait are sent back home!
ICE, do your job!
Old 1st September 2018, 01:59 PM   #15
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trakar View Post
Only if you are planning a new land war in NE Asia.
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia."
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 02:13 PM   #16
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia."

(Risk-y bidness, all those dotted lines look like bridges!)
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 02:24 PM   #17
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Wales, Alaska has a population of 150 people and an average temperature of 21o F.

That sounds like a terrible place to build a bridge.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 02:45 PM   #18
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Wales, Alaska has a population of 150 people and an average temperature of 21o F.

It sounds like a terrible place to build a convenience store.
Old 1st September 2018, 03:46 PM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
It sounds like a terrible place to build a convenience store.
But a wonderful place for a liquor store.

Or to sell meth.
Old 1st September 2018, 03:58 PM   #20
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
But a wonderful place for a liquor store.

Or to sell meth.
That's what I like about you, always looking on the bright side of life. Maybe they could build a bridge out of liquor and meth.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 07:24 PM   #21
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Is there anything in the general vicinity of either side of the bridge that

a) anyone wants?
and
b) wouldn't be easier to send some other way?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 08:25 PM   #22
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
There's far more traffic congestion waiting to get up Mt. Everest. Why don't we build a stairway?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 09:32 PM   #23
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Given the extreme low temperatures wouldn't a tunnel be a better idea?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2018, 11:42 PM   #24
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

You would build a railway line for trade. It could work out to be very useful. Although still not economic.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:15 AM   #25
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

There's a bridge from Lubec, Maine to Campobello Island, NB pop 800 where the weather is almost as bad.

Difference being the Alaskan bridge would be almost 60 miles long and the longest on the planet for car traffic doubling the length of any existing North American bridge. The above is a few miles if that.
Old 2nd September 2018, 05:55 AM   #26
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Well, I like the thought; we would know where we had him, then.

Hans
Old 2nd September 2018, 06:39 AM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
How is this a social issue or current event?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 07:54 AM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
How is this a social issue or current event?
Members of society are currently talking about it.
Old 2nd September 2018, 08:16 AM   #29
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

The only vague reason for such a bridge would be to ship rail freight from the Americas to Asia. It's marginal cost would, I guess, be cheaper than sea transport. I'd like to see some numbers on exactly how long it would take to start recouping money. I imaging it would be in the range of decades.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 08:53 AM   #30
Arcade22
Illuminator

When considering the economic benefits of building a bridge you simply have to calculate the amount of money and time that would be saved compared with continuing usage of the current boats, barges and ferries (if any) that directly or indirectly transport goods and people between those two areas.

Even then you really just have to consider the fact that such a bridge would link two almost completely uninhabited and highly inhospitable wastelands: it would be completely pointless and costly boondoggle. If you want to get across just use a god damn boat, canoe or even a plane if you are in a real hurry.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 2nd September 2018 at 08:56 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 09:01 AM   #31
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

A rail bridge would make more sense than road, but of course there are no railroads in the region either. Perhaps when Trump and Putin conclude FWFTA (Frozen Waste Free Trade Area) there'll be more need.
Old 2nd September 2018, 09:38 AM   #32
Arcade22
Illuminator

A thought that I've had somewhat related to this subject is that the people who dream about colonizing mars, the moon or whatever should probably start with a far more modest and attainable goal of colonizing the Arctic or Antarctica. There are plenty of resources to be claimed there.

Maybe then such a bridge would make sense.

Remember that unlike on Mars, if your dream colony plans don't pan out you at least have a realistic chance of escaping from what can only legitimately be called a cold and dark hellish icehole.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 2nd September 2018 at 09:39 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 01:03 PM   #33
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
A thought that I've had somewhat related to this subject is that the people who dream about colonizing mars, the moon or whatever should probably start with a far more modest and attainable goal of colonizing the Arctic or Antarctica. There are plenty of resources to be claimed there.

Maybe then such a bridge would make sense.

Remember that unlike on Mars, if your dream colony plans don't pan out you at least have a realistic chance of escaping from what can only legitimately be called a cold and dark hellish icehole.
Only if someone decides to break this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protoc...tarctic_Treaty
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 01:12 PM   #34
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Only if someone decides to break this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protoc...tarctic_Treaty
Wrong pole, yes?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 01:17 PM   #35
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Wrong pole, yes?
Apologies

I assumed you meant the Antarctic more than the Arctic given the Arctic is already colonized and they are already taking it's resources

Last edited by cullennz; 2nd September 2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 2nd September 2018, 01:29 PM   #36
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

I took an Alaskan cruise last week. I think this makes me an expert on the subject. One of the nice things about the deepwater ports in Alaska is that they are open year round because they do no freeze over.
Old 2nd September 2018, 01:34 PM   #37
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I took an Alaskan cruise last week. I think this makes me an expert on the subject. One of the nice things about the deepwater ports in Alaska is that they are open year round because they do no freeze over.
I am officially jealous as

That there is pretty much on the top of my bucket list

Never been remotely interested in cruise ships, but I would imagine with that area it would be the greatest way to do it, so would make an exception.

Old 2nd September 2018, 01:40 PM   #38
Elagabalus
Master Poster

What if they found a dead body on the bridge right at the border crossing with one half of the body on the Russian side and the other half on the USA side? What great crime series THAT would make!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 03:17 PM   #39
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
What if they found a dead body on the bridge right at the border crossing with one half of the body on the Russian side and the other half on the USA side? What great crime series THAT would make!
Why then a ruggedly handsome American detective who struggled with the tragic death of his wife a few years earlier would have to team up with the cold and distant but supremely competent and stunningly beautiful Russian detective to investigate the crime, of course. And his wounded heart would heal as her cold core thawed, and the two would fall madly in love. Oh, they'd solve the crime along the way, too.

It practically writes itself.
Old 2nd September 2018, 03:26 PM   #40
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
Why then a ruggedly handsome American detective who struggled with the tragic death of his wife a few years earlier would have to team up with the cold and distant but supremely competent and stunningly beautiful Russian detective to investigate the crime, of course. And his wounded heart would heal as her cold core thawed, and the two would fall madly in love. Oh, they'd solve the crime along the way, too.

It practically writes itself.
Which one is the vampire?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events